PDA

View Full Version : Walker article for MLB.com

Madscout
05-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't usually get in to these, because this is just Merkin organization controlled overly-positive spun crap, but there are some strange (I thought) Walker quotes.

"I don't even know if we've scuffled. We haven't had a lot of runners in scoring position," Walker said. "I don't even know what our batting average is."

I guess, what's he gonna say..."Yeah we suck at hitting, and these kids need to pull their heads out of their butts"

At least give me a Don Cooper response, such as "You now, we're just not catching the breaks, guys aren't making contact with men on, and guys are flailing around at pitches in the dirt. We'll work on it, and it is something we gotta get better at."

october23sp
05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah, MLB articles are usually fluff pieces, but Walker really should go, along with everybody.

Frontman
05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I wonder if he doesn't know the team's BA how good of a hitting coach he really is....

soltrain21
05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I wonder if he doesn't know the team's BA how good of a hitting coach he really is....

That is a weird thing to say. I know BA isn't the end all be all of stats, but you'd like him to have some grasp on the situation.

Frontman
05-12-2010, 05:55 PM
That is a weird thing to say. I know BA isn't the end all be all of stats, but you'd like him to have some grasp on the situation.

That's kinda my take on it. I don't expect him to be a complete stat-head; but come on now, not even a ballpark figure?

Huisj
05-12-2010, 05:57 PM
:anderson:

"No, I am the end all be all of stats."

Frontman
05-12-2010, 05:57 PM
:anderson:

"No, I am the end all be all of stats."

Just keep in mind BA, that HIGH numbers are bad in your new chosen profession....

cws05champ
05-12-2010, 08:11 PM
He doesn't know what their BA is? He doesn't look up at the scoreboard every game and see their averages plastered up there? He doesn't have a clue about a team BA?

If I don't know my sales figures in my job I'm pretty sure my boss would have an issue with it.

Hartman
05-12-2010, 09:17 PM
It's not all Walker's fault, but there needs to be a new attitude, a new spirit, infused into the hitters of this team. Walker needs to be shown the door.

CLR01
05-13-2010, 12:23 AM
That's kinda my take on it. I don't expect him to be a complete stat-head; but come on now, not even a ballpark figure?

His ballprak is probably somewhere around .300. Things are great.

HebrewHammer
05-13-2010, 03:35 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/24/45501503_59464722fc.jpg

"What would you say you do here?"

captain54
05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
As per the Chicago Tribune, 5/13/10..some comments from Mr. Walker

-he doesn't know what the team B.A. is but he doesn't see what the big deal is because the Sox are in the middle of the pack in runs scored

-he's obsessed with getting enough runs to win (the Sox are 1-15 when scoring less than 3 runs)

-he's more interested in potential than actual performance

Pretty embarrassing...

1) the B.A.'s are posted on the scoreboard for every player, every game, every AB. You ARE at the games, aren't you Greg?

2) the reason the Sox run production is the middle of the pack is because the HR's are up. As has been the case now for years, the Sox can't score unless someone goes yard

most, if not all occupations are not judged upon potential, they are judged upon performance. Unless of course, you are Greg Walker, and your employers judge you neither on potential or performance.

Either way, you're OK with me Greg. You have the potential for some fine entertainment with your interviews

Scots-Sox
05-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't usually get in to these, because this is just Merkin organization controlled overly-positive spun crap, but there are some strange (I thought) Walker quotes.

"I don't even know if we've scuffled. We haven't had a lot of runners in scoring position," Walker said. "I don't even know what our batting average is."

I guess, what's he gonna say..."Yeah we suck at hitting, and these kids need to pull their heads out of their butts"

At least give me a Don Cooper response, such as "You now, we're just not catching the breaks, guys aren't making contact with men on, and guys are flailing around at pitches in the dirt. We'll work on it, and it is something we gotta get better at."

Quite frankly if he actally said this then he needs to be shot - not just fired - it smacks of total incompetance.

Dibbs
05-13-2010, 03:12 PM
If Walker really said those things, I will assume any of his final defenders are a part of his immediate family.

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
If the Sox are going to keep this guy, and I assume they are because they are loyal to a fault, then they at least have to make sure that he never ever talks to the media again. It's embarrassing.

CLR01
05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
You guys need to understand the hitting coach job really has nothing to do with hitting.

IlliniSox4Life
05-13-2010, 03:53 PM
You guys need to understand the hitting coach job really has nothing to do with hitting.

Which makes me wonder, why even have a hitting coach? If it's not his fault, then when the guys are hitting well than its not because of him either. If he has no effect whatsoever, save the salary and put it towards a player.

A. Cavatica
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
He probably does know what the team batting average is, and it's putrid, and he didn't want to give it any more play than it already gets. Didn't want to show up his hitters.

I think the reporter should have followed up by reading him the statistics and making him defend them.

Bob Roarman
05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Which makes me wonder, why even have a hitting coach? If it's not his fault, then when the guys are hitting well than its not because of him either. If he has no effect whatsoever, save the salary and put it towards a player.

I wouldn't say nothing. It's not THAT definitive. But it's a job, it's a role in the clubhouse that is filled. Like a bench coach. What do you think Baines did? What sage advice did he whisper that got us X amount more wins? Look, it really doesn't matter who fills that position at the Major league level as long as he's not a deadbeat or some kind of clubhouse cancer that is just a distraction. I've said it before, I'll continue to say it, the hitting coaches that matter are in an organization's minor league teams. No one should ever get as angered as I've seen now and in the past at any hitting coach in the MLB. Except for what I mentioned (and hardly any fan would even know that much anyway), no fan should get that emotional about firing or hiring a particular hitting coach ever.

WhiteSoxFTW
05-14-2010, 10:53 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/24/45501503_59464722fc.jpg

"What would you say you do here?"

:clap:

That is great, lol.