PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL - It's Still Minnesota Post-Game Thread

doublem23
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
At least we split...

Discuss...

WhiteSox1989
05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
There goes the 15 game winning streak I predicted.

guillensdisciple
05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Team can't create a streak. Hit the ball hard today and showed nothing for it. This year is a repeat process of the Sox hitting it, but hitting it into the gloves of opposing players.

It's sad really. 6 games under is not where we should be at this point in the season.

Ahh well, we soldier on folks. Still plenty of time to make a move in the Central. If the baseball gods decide to give us some luck, I can see us turning this around really fast.

manders_01
Why was this a two-game series with a day game??? :?: I completely missed it.

SoxSpeed22
We score in 2 of the 18 innings this series, and still end up 1-1. Still lots of holes in the lineup.

soxinem1
There goes the 15 game winning streak I predicted.

I would settle for the nine game streak that the team in your screen name had...... I just hope it isn't too late like it was for that team.

JermaineDye05
If our team wasn't in such a bad position right now, I'd probably take a split in Minny. We needed the sweep though, especially after we won last night's game which, on paper, looked like a loss.

05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Team can't create a streak. Hit the ball hard today and showed nothing for it. This year is a repeat process of the Sox hitting it, but hitting it into the gloves of opposing players.

It's sad really. 6 games under is not where we should be at this point in the season.

Ahh well, we soldier on folks. Still plenty of time to make a move in the Central. If the baseball gods decide to give us some luck, I can see us turning this around really fast.

HAHAHAHA. Our luck ended a long time ago. All the luck in the baseball world goes to Minnesota.

voodoochile
All our hard hit balls found leather or went foul, the final just miss being PK in the 9th with a valiant effort to tie it.

All their snub grounders found holes.

I think I've seen this movie before. Ah well, heck of a play by Rios, go get 'em tomorrow...

JermaineDye05

Actually, we have just over 2 weeks. Otherwise, Kenny will be pulling the plug.

JB98
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Gotta find some more offense. The Sox had only one base hit from the fourth inning on.

You can't go on a run if you can't win more than one in a row.

JermaineDye05
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
I hate the Twins, but I love Target Field. They really did a nice job with that place. I might have to make a trip to Minny next time the Sox are up there.

This series would have looked a lot uglier if it were in the dome.

JB98
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
All our hard hit balls found leather or went foul, the final just miss being PK in the 9th with a valiant effort to tie it.

All their snub grounders found holes.

I think I've seen this movie before. Ah well, heck of a play by Rios, go get 'em tomorrow...

If only we had a game tomorrow. Damn off days.

soxnut67
05-12-2010, 02:41 PM
This is probably the most calm I've ever been after a loss in Minnesota. The sox actually have a chance to beat these guys in their home ballpark. Alot of games to go. Maybe a few tweaks to our lineup and who knows...:smile:

kufram
05-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Does TCQ have an HBP this year? Has he back off the plate? Is he not crouched as much at the plate?

The Immigrant
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
We need a real DH.

kittle42
05-12-2010, 02:45 PM
We need a real DH.

We'd have one if Jones could play every day and Guillen could keep up a proper rotation with him and the other three OF.

WhiteSox1989
05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I would settle for the nine game streak that the team in your screen name had...... I just hope it isn't too late like it was for that team.
I still think it'll happen.

Hitmen77
05-12-2010, 02:53 PM
This team is going nowhere (except down). When you come into town trailing by 8 games, a split isn't "okay".

The 2005 Sox were known for their 8 game winning streaks and the 2010 Sox are known for their 1 game winning streaks.

I was tuning in to this series just to check out Target Field on television. Oh well, now I'm going back to ignoring this train wreck of a team.

Foulke You
05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Does TCQ have an HBP this year? Has he back off the plate? Is he not crouched as much at the plate?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. He has definitely backed off the plate. In 2008 and 2009, Carlos stood right on top of the plate Jose Canseco style. He has backed off considerably which I believe is the root of his problems. The "book" on Carlos right now is to have the catcher set up outside because he'll either roll over and ground it or pop it to the right side. They constantly feed him outside pitches when he has 2 strikes too. When Carlos stood close to the plate, he used to hit those outside pitches to right field or up the middle with authority. I don't know if the Sox are trying to keep him off the DL by having him stand farther or if it is an effort on his part to do it but I hope he makes an adjustment soon or he'll keep getting a steady diet of pitches off the plate that he can't drive.

TDog
05-12-2010, 02:56 PM

He's been hit three times. I believe he was hit twice in one game.

Unfortunately today Danks didn't pitch very well. There seemed to have been some hits that found holes, but Danks was unusually wild. Really, it's a sign of how good a pitcher he is that he only gave up three runs with the guys he put on base and the way he was pitching from behind in the count. It figured to be a pitching duel. I was inspired by Konerko's hit in the first to make it 2-0, but the Twins tied and took the lead on two-out hits.

On a positive note, Pierre has four straight multi-hit games. He has hits in 10 of the last 11 he's played in eight of those he has at least two. He showed in the first that he can make things happen offensively.

VMSNS
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Quentin, Beckham, Ramierez, and Teahen are an offensive black hole. Danks didn't have great control, but he pitched well enough to win. The offense just wasn't good enough.

On the upside, it looks like Pierre is starting to come around, and the first inning, complete with double steal, was great. Ozzie ball is fine when we execute it well.

...and, is it me, or is Rauch just not that good of a pitcher? Melton has made this point a few time on the post game show, but somehow the guy has been lights out and has 9 saves. It's weird...another example of Twinkie good luck?

LoveYourSuit
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
In the game thread early in the game, everyone was going gaga over the concept of "Ozzie Ball."

Yes it looks nice when it works, but in the end you have to continue hitting the ball and scratch out more than 6 hits. Plus, hitting the ball over the fence helps too. The Sox still need a bunch of HRs to win games.

jabrch
05-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Unfortunately today Danks didn't pitch very well. There seemed to have been some hits that found holes, but Danks was unusually wild. Really, it's a sign of how good a pitcher he is that he only gave up three runs with the guys he put on base and the way he was pitching from behind in the count. It figured to be a pitching duel. I was inspired by Konerko's hit in the first to make it 2-0, but the Twins tied and took the lead on two-out hits.

I didn't see the game - but I don't see how he didn't pitch well...3 ER in 7 IP...7 hits 3 walks, 0 HRs... Mauer 0-3...

He got essentially beat by Denard Span...or by his own offense...depending on how you look at it.

JermaineDye05
05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I didn't see the game - but I don't see how he didn't pitch well...3 ER in 7 IP...7 hits 3 walks, 0 HRs... Mauer 0-3...

He got essentially beat by Denard Span...or by his own offense...depending on how you look at it.

In the middle innings, he started falling behind guys. 1 of his walks scored, as did a double which resulted from a 3-1 count that he put himself into. Danks does deserve at least some of the blame. He still pitched well though.

JB98
05-12-2010, 03:10 PM

It was a battle for Danks all day. He was behind in a lot of counts. Lots of 2-0 and 3-1. He allowed the leadoff man to reach in each of the first four innings. He didn't have anywhere near his best stuff. It was a good effort on his part to keep the team in the game. He got a little help from Rios, who robbed Cuddyer of a two-run homer in the fifth.

WhiteSox1989
05-12-2010, 03:10 PM

On a positive note, Pierre has four straight multi-hit games. He has hits in 10 of the last 11 he's played in eight of those he has at least two. He showed in the first that he can make things happen offensively.
I THINK two of those were opening day.

soxlady8
05-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I totally missed this one as I
had to be preoccupied w work all day and no chances to check on the game via ESPN on the Blackberry ---

was hoping for a win because our best pitcher was on the mound , but I guess the offensive offense showed up today !!!!

Ughhh !! but one out of two in Minn. is okay w me at this point as I really thought we might have gotten swept away !

sox1970
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2472003&postcount=6

^My post when they were 4-9. 8 games out leaving Minnesota. Today was huge.

JermaineDye05
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I totally missed this one as I
had to be preoccupied w work all day and no chances to check on the game via ESPN on the Blackberry ---

was hoping for a win because our best pitcher was on the mound , but I guess the offensive offense showed up today !!!!

Ughhh !! but one out of two in Minn. is okay w me at this point as I really thought we might have gotten swept away !

I'd argue that Jake Peavy is our best pitcher right now, at least with the way he's throwing the ball. In his last two starts, he's taken a no-hitter into at least the 5th inning.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2010, 03:14 PM
This is the offense we've all come to know and love! Score early then go to sleep the rest of the afternoon!

Lip

TDog
05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
In the game thread early in the game, everyone was going gaga over the concept of "Ozzie Ball."

Yes it looks nice when it works, but in the end you have to continue hitting the ball and scratch out more than 6 hits. Plus, hitting the ball over the fence helps too. The Sox still need a bunch of HRs to win games.

The Twins sacrificed with their No. 2 hitter with runners on first and second down by two runs and tied the game on a groundout and an unfortunate two-out hit.

It looks like the Twins were successful with some Ozzieball today.

LoveYourSuit
05-12-2010, 03:28 PM
The Twins sacrificed with their No. 2 hitter with runners on first and second down by two runs and tied the game on a groundout and an unfortunate two-out hit.

Yes but the Twins have been doing this succesfuly for a very long time.

pythons007
05-12-2010, 03:28 PM

This is how every game is against them. It's not like they come in and get homer after homer, or extra base hit after extra base hit. They get runners on, move them over and get them in. It's like they lul you to sleep and before you know it, you lost.

I hate that ****ing team! **** you Twins!

october23sp
05-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Damn, I was wearing my Beckham jersey at school today. The Sox were up when I went outside and played softball for gym and I went 4-4 and hit for the cycle, then when in from gym they were losing.

khan
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM

TRUE "Ozzieball" would be to put all sorts of players into positions to fail.

TRUE "Ozzieball" would be to fall in love with ****ty players.

TRUE "Ozzieball" would be to misuse the pitching staff.

TRUE "Ozzieball" ignores proper execution and fundamentals.

TRUE "Ozzieball" lacks all accountability.

TRUE "Ozzieball" foresakes quality for "flexibility."

[I'm so ****ing sick of the "ozzieball" term, which is spread by mouth-breathing media types.]

Irishsox1
05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
4 guys hitting under .200.....ugh!

Madscout
05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
This is the offense we've all come to know and love! Score early then go to sleep the rest of the afternoon!

Lip
I know it, but I don't love it.:redneck

october23sp
05-12-2010, 03:52 PM
4 guys hitting under .200.....ugh!

Our record is actually pretty impressive considering that.

JermaineDye05
05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
According to Bernstein, the White Sox .237 BABIP is dead last in the majors. Just to give you a sense of how unlucky we have been as a team.

sox1970
05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
According to Bernstein, the White Sox .237 BABIP is dead last in the majors. Just to give you a sense of how unlucky we have been as a team.

I don't know how to prove it, but I'd like somebody to prove that BABIP is just a stat to make excuses.

jdm2662
05-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Hitting lazy pop-ups and weak ground balls is not unlucky. It's just bad hitting. This stat was the same stat Nick Swisher lovers used about his ****ty season in 2008.

soltrain21
05-12-2010, 03:58 PM

I don't know if that means they are unlucky. Weak grounders to the 2nd baseman aren't really "unlucky."

Konerko05
05-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Hitting lazy pop-ups and weak ground balls is not unlucky. It's just bad hitting.

Correct.

Plus we have had Juan Pierre collecting the most at bats on the team. A guy who rarely strikes out, but never hits the ball hard is a recipe for low BABIP.

ilsox7
05-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Hitting lazy pop-ups and weak ground balls is not unlucky. It's just bad hitting. This stat was the same stat Nick Swisher lovers used about his ****ty season in 2008.

Well for today, the Sox were unlucky. They smoked the ball numerous times and got nothing from it. It happens.

sox1970
05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Well for today, the Sox were unlucky. They smoked the ball numerous times and got nothing from it. It happens.

And the Twins would have hit about 4 more homers in the series if it wasn't winter there. Stuff evens out.

JermaineDye05
05-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Nick Swisher seems to be doing just fine in New York.

Tragg
05-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Is Jones hurt?
I'm trying to figure out how Kotsay and his .133 average got 4 at bats (including a 9th inning at bat) in a game in which the Sox got 6 hits, scored 2 runs and lost by 1.

The absolute love this field staff has with absolutely atrocious hitting is beyond belief.

JermaineDye05
05-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Is Jones hurt?
I'm trying to figure out how Kotsay and his .133 average got 4 at bats in a game in which the Sox got 6 hits, scored 2 runs and lost by 1.

The absolute love this field staff has with absolutely atrocious hitting is beyond belief.

Jones was in the lineup but pulled because of a sore neck.

asindc
05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
And the Twins would have hit about 4 more homers in the series if it wasn't winter there. Stuff evens out.

Same can be said about the Sox the past two days. Several guys reached the warning track on the fly yesterday and today.

Tragg
05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Jones was in the lineup but pulled because of a sore neck.
What a season - the hitters that are hitting are the ones getting nicked up. The stiffs are healthy as a horse.

But it shows the poor construction of roster when there is no one to pinch hit for Kotsay.

DickAllen72
05-12-2010, 04:23 PM
If our team wasn't in such a bad position right now, I'd probably take a split in Minny. We needed the sweep though, especially after we won last night's game which, on paper, looked like a loss.
That loss on Sunday really was big in the scheme of things. If they wouldn't have blown that one, a split in Minnesota would seem pretty good. Now, it's just blah.

Hopefully they go on a big run now. It's not that early anymore.

ilsox7
05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Same can be said about the Sox the past two days. Several guys reached the warning track on the fly yesterday and today.

Yep. Sox hit a lot of line drives the last two days, so that's a good thing.

Harry Chappas
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
We'd have one if Jones could play every day and Guillen could keep up a proper rotation with him and the other three OF.

Jones was out with a stiff neck? Didn't Konerko miss a game or two with the same issue? Baseball players are a bunch of pansies...

soltrain21
05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Yep. Sox hit a lot of line drives the last two days, so that's a good thing.

Yeah, I can hardly contain my excitement.

PhillipsBubba
05-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Boys and Girls; we are pulling for (at best) a sub .500 team!:(:

Domeshot17
05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, yesterday's win means nothing now. These are the type of games you have to win. This is also the type of game keeing Danks from moving up to a top rotation pitcher. You know your team needs this W, its the biggest game of the season thus far, you get a 2-0 lead and you know odds are you aren't getting much else, you can't give up 3 runs, its just that simple.

This pitching staff has to step up and accept the challenge. They were put in a position to carry a pathetically bad offense, so do it.

MetroPD
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Carlos Quentin is tearing the hide off of the ball! The most lethal bottom half of the order in baseball!!!

Kotsay
Quentin
Teahen
Beckam

Brian26
05-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I like Rios in the three-hole if it's going to give Ozzie the chance to run some more double-steal action like we saw in the first inning today with Pierre already on.

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I was at the game today with my daughter. Target Field is a beautiful park, and it's pretty comfortable too. It was just chilly until the wind switched around in about the sixth inning, and started blowing straight into my face. Then if was pretty uncomfortable for the rest of the game. Konerko's foul in the 9th would have made the second deck, and was a threat for the third, if it had stayed fair.

I've only seen the Sox win once in Minneapolis since I've lived in Minnesota. It does get depressing. Oh, and if you come up here, their new hot dog is really bad. They made a big deal out of ending their relationship with Hormel, who made the "Dome Dog," and having chosen a new provider for a new hot dog for the new park. It is mushy inside and has almost no flavor at all.

hawkjt
05-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Rios' catch was very nice....took away a homer. That guy is playing lights out and it is very comforting to have a 5 tool guy in centerfield.

Now,otherwise, not a great day for the Sox.
Good to see Juan getting it going. He has accounted for a lot of those balls in play that are so weak they do not make the outfield and contributed mightily to those BABIP numbers.

On to KC...try to win a series,please,Sox.

TwinKess
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I was at the game today with my daughter. Target Field is a beautiful park, and it's pretty comfortable too. It was just chilly until the wind switched around in about the sixth inning, and started blowing straight into my face. Then if was pretty uncomfortable for the rest of the game. Konerko's foul in the 9th would have made the second deck, and was a threat for the third, if it had stayed fair.

I've only seen the Sox win once in Minneapolis since I've lived in Minnesota. It does get depressing. Oh, and if you come up here, their new hot dog is really bad. They made a big deal out of ending their relationship with Hormel, who made the "Dome Dog," and having chosen a new provider for a new hot dog for the new park. It is mushy inside and has almost no flavor at all.

I haven't had the hot dog, but I had the Kramarczkuk's polish sausage (served only at the two Kramarczkuk's stands on lower and upper concourse). It was friggin awesome.