PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Globe and Mail writer reviews The Cell

Fenway
05-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I'll be honest, I was a bit apprehensive about the Chicago White Sox experience. How could U.S. Cellular Field possibly top Wrigley Field?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:02 AM (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/stealing-home/the-south-side/article1565983/)
The South Side (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/stealing-home/the-south-side/article1565983/)

JermaineDye05
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:02 AM (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/stealing-home/the-south-side/article1565983/)
The South Side (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/stealing-home/the-south-side/article1565983/)

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing. When I think of Wrigley, I think of a generally bad experience. So I'm not sure if the writer's saying that US Cellular tops Wrigley in badness or that it's better than Wrigley. I don't care either way, I'm just confused by the quote.

EDIT: Just read a bit of the article. It's a positive.

ewokpelts
05-12-2010, 02:41 PM
stupid article

doublem23
05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
It's not that bad, except that bull**** "Sox fans hate the Cubs more than they like the Sox" stereotype rears its ugly head again.

MEMO TO EVERYONE: We really don't hate the Cubs that much, just the jag-offs who show up to Sox Park decked out in Cubs' gear for a Royals game and are only there to stir up ****.

kittle42
05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
stupid article

Disagree. I was at that game, and it sounds about right to me from where I was sitting in the OF.

asindc
05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
It's not that bad, except that bull**** "Sox fans hate the Cubs more than they like the Sox" stereotype rears its ugly head again.

MEMO TO EVERYONE: We really don't hate the Cubs that much, just the jag-offs who show up to Sox Park decked out in Cubs' gear for a Royals game and are only there to stir up ****.

Beat me to it. Only someone ignorant of Sox baseball would say this.

DumpJerry
05-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Sophomoric.

Hitmen77
05-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm glad he had a positive impression of the Cell, but I thought it was pretty bad write up. The guy sounds too much like a Cubs fan wanna be. Too much Cubs this and Wrigley that for a decent review of the Cell.

He pines for the Wrigley experience, but then complains that the Cell doesn't have a good selection of micro-brews.....and of course he has to suggest that Sox fans hate the Cubs more than the like the Sox. :rolleyes:

Also, "there should be a moratorium on company sponsored ballparks?" Really? I guess then he hates the idea of the $68 million renovation that has made the Cell a greatly improved ballpark.

"in another life, if I hailed from Chicago, I'd have been a Cubs fan." :rolleyes::puking:

GoGoCrede
05-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Too many mentions of Wrigley/the Cubs, which is probably unavoidable, but still. I don't care about Wrigley when I'm reading a Sox article.

I love that we have so many food choices. My friend is a vegetarian and she never has problems finding something to eat at the game.

DSpivack
05-12-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm glad he had a positive impression of the Cell, but I thought it was pretty bad write up. The guy sounds too much like a Cubs fan wanna be. Too much Cubs this and Wrigley that for a decent review of the Cell. Is it really that hard to write a review of the Cell without going on about how the Cubs and Wrigley Field give him a boner?

He pines for the Wrigley experience, but then complains that the Cell doesn't have a good selection of micro-brews.....and of course he has to suggest that Sox fans hate the Cubs more than the like the Sox. :rolleyes:

Also, "there should be a moratorium on company sponsored ballparks?" Really? I guess then he hates the idea of the $68 million renovation that has made the Cell a greatly improved ballpark.

"in another life, if I hailed from Chicago, I'd have been a Cubs fan." :rolleyes::puking:

And what does he turn to as an example against that, Wrigley? If so, what a moron.

DumpJerry
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I suppose if I were a hack writer and did the same thing, I would feel compelled to discussed Citi Field when I review Yankee Stadium.:rolleyes:

What does Comiskey have to do with The Urinal? They are not even in the same area code!

doublem23
05-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I suppose if I were a hack writer and did the same thing, I would feel compelled to discussed Citi Field when I review Yankee Stadium.:rolleyes:

What does Comiskey have to do with The Urinal? They are not even in the same area code!

I can see why he'd always bring up Wrigley, that's just the way it is when you're talking about baseball in Chicago; there's Wrigley and Wherever the Sox play.

I thought the southern border of 312 area code was 31st Street.

kittle42
05-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I can see why he'd always bring up Wrigley, that's just the way it is when you're talking about baseball in Chicago; there's Wrigley and Wherever the Sox play.

Correct to pretty much any out-of-towner. Most of the in-towners, too.

TDog
05-12-2010, 03:44 PM

The reason it's a stereotype is because it has basis in fact, although it may be rarely true. The White Sox historically have not had many championship seasons. When they are losing, many fans take consolation in the fact that the Cubs are losing as well.

The same could be said for Cubs fans. But because Cubs fans show up to the ballpark when the team is losing, the stereotype doesn't stick to them. Cubs fans have been successful in the street debate in making the Sox fans in general look like primarily Cubs haters.

Look at the Cubs-oriented user names on this board and you will see why on the stereotype flourishes, especially outside of Chicago. And, I am ashamed to say, that I have been sitting at Sox games in Chicago when nothing is going on in the sixth or seventh inning when, for no reason apparent to me or the people sitting around me, someone will scream out, "Cubs suck."

As long as the current dynamics in Chicago are present, there will be reason for that stereotype to exist.

forrestg
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
My favorite appraisel of us cellular came from a lady and gentleman who were sitting behind me at the cell. I like this palce so much better than Wrigley field its so clean.

GoSox2K3
05-12-2010, 04:24 PM
So a writer who accusses Sox fans of caring more about the Cubs than the Sox devotes a good chunk of his review of the Cell talking about the Cubs and Wrigley. :nuts:

....and that's why nothing he says is original or informative. Just the same old Cub-centric crap. Reading that article was a waste of time.

PatK
05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
He pines for the Wrigley experience, but then complains that the Cell doesn't have a good selection of micro-brews.

haven't been to Wrigley in 5 years, but last time I went there, I don't remember any microbrews at all.

october23sp
05-12-2010, 05:07 PM
****ty article.

asindc
05-12-2010, 05:11 PM

Unless the out-of-towner or in-towner is more than a casual baseball fan. Folks into baseball that I know here definitely know the distinction. Those who have visited Comiskey (Old or New) have generally left with good impressions. Most of the commenters in this thread are right, IMO. The author's Wrigley-lust skewed the article.

NardiWasHere
05-12-2010, 05:26 PM
What's this guy's point? It was hard to read. I know its just a blog post, but its disjointed, unorganized, and wandering all over the place.

His review is also sort of silly. He complains about the lack of "micro-brews" at a baseball game and then devotes significant space to his personal feelings towards Harold Baines and Rios.

He criticizes Sox fans for being drunks, but then concludes the city is great for baseball without explaining why. (Fireworks?)

Also, is there anything more tired than people complaining about corporate naming rights? Who cares? It's 2010.

If I was in Toronto and wanted to learn more about the Cell or ballparks I haven't been to, this article did not help me at all..... That is, unless I was really interested in the ease in which people can move seats during a particular game.

That sounds like I'm nitpicking, but a series like this could be so cool but the people who usually do it mess it up.

Walker29
05-12-2010, 05:52 PM
He complains about the Cell having a corporate name and then refers to the Blue Jays home stadium as SkyDome....its the Rogers Centre now, Chief....also:

You can get a fine import at the “Beers of the World” stand, but baseball doesn’t exactly scream Heineken to me

Well Heineken doesn't exactly scream "fine import" to me. There are plenty of stands where you can get a fine Leinenkugel's product or Pilsner Urquell or Fosters...I really like the tall boy cans of Tecate with a lime. There are a plenty of options. A pretty weak synopsis of all of the ballpark's fine food and beverage amenities if you ask me. He could have gotten a chicago style dog anywhere, the dog of choice at the Cell is grilled vienna beef premium (oh Bests Kosher, how I miss thee)dogs with!

ilsox7
05-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Well Heineken doesn't exactly scream "fine import" to me. There are plenty of stands where you can get a fine Leinenkugel's product or Pilsner Urquell or Fosters...I really like the tall boy cans of Tecate with a lime. There are a plenty of options.

This makes me want to scream on many levels, but I will leave that debate for beer threads. :D:

DSpivack
05-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Well Heineken doesn't exactly scream "fine import" to me. There are plenty of stands where you can get a fine Leinenkugel's product or Pilsner Urquell or Fosters...I really like the tall boy cans of Tecate with a lime. There are a plenty of options. A pretty weak synopsis of all of the ballpark's fine food and beverage amenities if you ask me. He could have gotten a chicago style dog anywhere, the dog of choice at the Cell is grilled vienna beef premium (oh Bests Kosher, how I miss thee)dogs with!

:?::scratch:

Wasn't he also bemoaning the lack of Microbrews?

Frankfan4life
05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I really disliked the article. Pure garbage. I was particularly upset about the comment that neighborhoods in Chicago get worse as you move away from the lakefront. What moron thought that up???? We've got some very good neighborhoods far from the lakefront and there are some not so good neighborhoods near the lakefront.

I also took exception to the comment about not wanting to get lost around The Cell. Crime can happen anywhere (including around Wrigley Field). Why bother checking facts?? This guy could have stayed home and relied on popular cliches and myths about The Cell to write his article.

Finally, I've never heard a Sox fan say they became a Sox fan just so they can hate on the cubs. That makes no sense. That means you hate the Sox and the cubs but you pretend to be a Sox fan (even though you dislike them) so you can hate the cubs. :scratch:

ewokpelts
05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
y'know, since he was a member of the media, why didnt he contact the sox and have them take him on the guided tour and then left him to experience the game?

oh wait, cuz he's a hack blogger

doublem23
05-13-2010, 09:58 AM
y'know, since he was a member of the media, why didnt he contact the sox and have them take him on the guided tour and then left him to experience the game?

oh wait, cuz he's a hack blogger

Uh, because that wouldn't be a casual fan experience of the stadium. How many times do you got to other parks and ask to be given a guided tour of the park?

ewokpelts
05-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Uh, because that wouldn't be a casual fan experience of the stadium. How many times do you got to other parks and ask to be given a guided tour of the park?
he was accompanied by an internet know it all. not really a casual fan experience

doublem23
05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
he was accompanied by an internet know it all. not really a casual fan experience

Ah yes, I've never gone to a baseball game with a friend before.

:nuts:

Vestigio
05-13-2010, 10:51 AM
While he doesnt know any better, what does he expect from sitting in the bleachers on half price Monday with a "larger than usual contingent of drunken baseball fans"? My worst experiences at the Cell occured when I had seats in the bleachers on half price Monday. Much more casuals show up on Mondays that dont care about whats going on the field

IlliniSox4Life
05-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't know why, but I actually read his article on Wrigley. I love how he writes this:
Wrigley Field reminds you that you don't need all the pomp that comes with a new, state-of-the-art ballpark to enjoy baseball. You don't need .....(list of other things you dont need).... And, believe it or not, you don't need a microbrew. Because you're at a baseball game. Sit down, and enjoy the sounds of baseball: the ball hitting the catchers mitt, the crack of the ball off the bat, and the old-school organ.

Then literally the very next article he criticizes the beer selection at US Cellular.

Hegewisch
05-13-2010, 05:43 PM
When they are losing, many fans take consolation in the fact that the Cubs are losing as well.

Like so far in 2010 ?!?!?!?:?:

october23sp
05-13-2010, 05:46 PM
My review of the Cell would be friendly fans, great food and smart fans. When the Indians hit a homer when I was there some jagoffs started chanting "throw it back" and then where I was sitting, I even chimed in many people yelled at him not to.

The (friendly) Indians fan in front of my seats asked a guy beside them why we don't throw it back "Is it to be the opposite of the Cubs?" and the one fan answered "No it's illegal to throw anything on the field."

I love how only bad people get picked out in these types of articles. Wear Sox gear to the game and cheer for them, you'll be greeted differently, even if you wear the other teams stuff you can still talk to Sox fans around you, just don't taunt, which is how it is anywhere.

The biggest scariest looking dude sat by me when I was there in 2005 and he was high fiving me every time the Sox did something good.

Treat Sox fans with respect and they will do the same, going in with a Cubs jersey during a game vs the Royals, of course you will get some flak, but that's exactly what you wanted when you put on that Cubs jersey.

Rohan
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Piss poor article, by a piss poor writer, who's a fan of a piss poor team. :rolleyes:

Dibbs
05-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Pretty vague description of the park. Also, a 1/2 price Monday is not the best day to give an evaluation. I don't know if things have changed, but I have avoided those 1/2 price Mondays like the plague for years.

TDog
05-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Like so far in 2010 ?!?!?!?:?:

Like almost every year in the last three decades, give or take.

If you're a Sox fan, losing should not be a novelty. And unless you're in junior high school, knowing people worldwide primarily think of the Cubs when they think of losing shouldn't make you feel any better.

theamb
05-13-2010, 07:42 PM

I wouldn't say that is an actual stereotype

MARTINMVP
05-13-2010, 07:52 PM
What's this guy's point? It was hard to read. I know its just a blog post, but its disjointed, unorganized, and wandering all over the place.

His review is also sort of silly. He complains about the lack of "micro-brews" at a baseball game and then devotes significant space to his personal feelings towards Harold Baines and Rios.

He criticizes Sox fans for being drunks, but then concludes the city is great for baseball without explaining why. (Fireworks?)

Also, is there anything more tired than people complaining about corporate naming rights? Who cares? It's 2010.

If I was in Toronto and wanted to learn more about the Cell or ballparks I haven't been to, this article did not help me at all..... That is, unless I was really interested in the ease in which people can move seats during a particular game.

That sounds like I'm nitpicking, but a series like this could be so cool but the people who usually do it mess it up.

Not nitpicking. I really didn't get the point of the article, or what his final conclusion/thoughts were.

It primarily consisted of a series of incomplete thoughts.

Hegewisch
05-13-2010, 11:57 PM
The worse things about the Cell in my opinion are that there is no place real close outside the stadium to hang out at like Wrigleyville. The Bullpen bar and Stadium Club close pretty soon after a game and if you get seats in the upper deck you can't access lower deck.

hi im skot
05-14-2010, 12:07 AM
The worse things about the Cell in my opinion are that there is no place real close outside the stadium to hang out at like Wrigleyville. The Bullpen bar and Stadium Club close pretty soon after a game and if you get seats in the upper deck you can't access lower deck.

Look closer.

TDog
05-14-2010, 01:57 AM

I actually believe that's one of the best things about the Cell. It's nice not having to deal with drunks on my way back to my car.

Konerko05
05-14-2010, 02:27 AM

That part annoyed me as well. I will admit there is a small percentage of Sox fans who take the Cubs hate to an embarrassing level.

But the author brings this up to explain why Sox fans were yelling at a Cubs fan, in full Cubs attire, "plain old asking for it" at a game that has absolutely nothing to do with the Cubs. I'm not agreeing with the Sox fans' behavior in the bleachers, but their behavior shouldn't be the one in need of an explanation. The author and "friend" act as if they are watching Sox fans causing trouble at a Cubs game. Now, who cares more about who?