PDA

View Full Version : Ron Mahay....

NLaloosh
05-12-2010, 07:17 AM
I've never understood why this guy has never played for the Sox and why he isn't on the team right now.

They guy grew up a Sox fan and is from Crestwood. He's always been a good lefty reliever which the Sox are usually in need of.

I realize he's near the end of his career but when I saw that he had no job right before this season and the Sox only had Randy Williams and the Sox could get him for almost nothing I couldn't believe that Kenny didn't get him!

Ofcourse, he's doing the job again and would be exactly what the Sox need in the pen right now.

Does anyone understand this?

DrCrawdad
05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
I've never understood why this guy has never played for the Sox and why he isn't on the team right now.

They guy grew up a Sox fan and is from Crestwood. He's always been a good lefty reliever which the Sox are usually in need of.

I realize he's near the end of his career but when I saw that he had no job right before this season and the Sox only had Randy Williams and the Sox could get him for almost nothing I couldn't believe that Kenny didn't get him!

Of course, he's doing the job again and would be exactly what the Sox need in the pen right now.

Does anyone understand this?

No, I don't. IIRC too Mahay grew up a Sox fan.

Ron Mahay has had a very long career, always (it seems) able to find work. A quick glance at his career (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2494102) and it looks like he's pitched with 8 different teams.

'Fathers, don't let your sons grow up throwing righty...'

khan
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
As a LOOGY, he's got to be better than Williams. Mahay signed a minor league deal in the middle of spring training, so it couldn't have been money as the sticking point. This is probably the "brain trust" of the SOX once again falling in love with a crappy player [Williams].

Now, granted the LOOGY position isn't really that big of a deal. But, I don't recall there being any real competition for the position during spring training. Given the downward trend in Jenks' performance in recent years, it was reasonable to consider that Thornton might be moved to closer at some point this season. In turn, that would have necessitated some depth on the LHP side of the bullpen, which of course, the SOX have none.

eriqjaffe
05-12-2010, 12:56 PM
As a LOOGY, he's got to be better than Williams. Mahay signed a minor league deal in the middle of spring training, so it couldn't have been money as the sticking point. This is probably the "brain trust" of the SOX once again falling in love with a crappy player [Williams].

Now, granted the LOOGY position isn't really that big of a deal. But, I don't recall there being any real competition for the position during spring training. Given the downward trend in Jenks' performance in recent years, it was reasonable to consider that Thornton might be moved to closer at some point this season. In turn, that would have necessitated some depth on the LHP side of the bullpen, which of course, the SOX have none.Hey, they went and picked up Alan Embree, what more do you want?

khan
05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey, they went and picked up Alan Embree, what more do you want?
Nicely played.

I still would have preferred Mahay over Embree. I would've preferred having some depth in-place before the season started. I would have preferred having some competition for the LOOGY position. That way, if/when the LOOGY fails, or if Thornton had to be moved up/down in the pecking order, there is a solution ready to go.

[EDIT] Most teams don't have the luxury of having a real shut-down LHP in the bullpen that is the likes of Thornton. When Thornton is done pitching here, we as a fandom will truly appreciate the need for depth on the LH side of the bullpen.