PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Twin Killing, Don't Slowey Down Now' White Sox vs MIN 5/11 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Freddy looked goood with his off-speed stuff.

Jenks makes it interesting, but hey, he did the job.

Let's go for the SWEEP tomorrow and return the favor, albeit a two-gamer.

aryzner
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
No dome?

No problem!! :bandance:

TheCommander
Right on Target! :bandance:

KnightSox
Thanks sweaty, and the offense showed up!

Soxgirl22
Agree with Hawk and Stone... I already like Target field better. :smile:

Boondock Saint
:twinslose

SoxGirl4Life
Nice 5th inning. Thank goodness that's all they needed

Hartman
Jenks for Cy Young, right guys :rolleyes:

NDSox12
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I already like Target Field more than the Metrodump.

Way to go Freddy!

GoGoCrede
I love Target Field.

Really can't say enough about how great Freddy has been for us.

Clutch two out hits.....I'm not sure who this team was tonight, but I want to keep this version.

october23sp
I'll take it.

Woofer
Hey, this new field is more to my liking!

Craig Grebeck
Well done. Time for a run.

asindc
05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Let me just say that if this game had been played in the dome, the scoring, and maybe the outcome, might have been different. Good to finally play the Twinkees in Minny in a baseball park.

Oh yeah, good job Bobby.:gulp:

OmahaSoxFan
05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Have to say I like Target Field right now... good win for the Sox! Always good to notch any type of victory over the Twinkies... now go get them tomorrow and take this 2 game set!

Gotta love the good signs taken from this game - Garcia pitching another beauty, Jenks actually not allowing a run in the ninth inning, Rios still tearing it up, and Pierre getting his first extra base hit... lots of good stuff to go around.

What's not good - TCQ... what the heck is wrong with him at the plate right now... he looks lost.

october23sp
05-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Thomas, Beckham, or Griffey jersey at school tommorow?

guillen4life13
I love Target Field.

Really can't say enough about how great Freddy has been for us.

Clutch two out hits.....I'm not sure who this team was tonight, but I want to keep this version.

Hard to nitpick on a decisive win, but the only thing I'd like to see different is for Jenks to go 1-2-3.

I hope that this team can CONSISTENTLY put up 5+ runs per game.

The fact that they've put up five today makes me expect no more than two tomorrow.

WhiteSox5187
Christ, it don't come easy.

GoGoCrede
Quentin is really brutal.

GlassSox
05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I like it! Looked like a real baseball team tonight.

Hegewisch
05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I love Target Field.

.....I'm not sure who this team was tonight, but I want to keep this version.

I agree !!!!!!!:scratch::D:

Nice, Clean game. And, the teams most important to beat are the Twins and the Tigers. So, good to beat the Twins ! I was worried when Bobby came out, but he got them out !:o:

aryzner
05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Indeed.

Sox should've had like 8+ runs in the 5th and not just 5. I think Quentin actually made 2 of the 3 outs in that inning.

Slappy
OK, nice game.

But...yes, but...it was against Slowey. Slowey has barely made it passed the 5th inning this year and he's got two bolts in his pitching wrist. If we didn't jump on him, it would've been sad.

Anyway, encouraging signs everywhere except Carlos and Beckham, really. Jenks made it a little too interesting, too.

GlassSox

I agree and I wonder if he can come back.

GoGoCrede
Don't forget, tomorrow's game is at noon, everyone.

Boondock Saint
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM

Absolutely. 0-4 with three strikeouts including two in the fifth with RISP. Teahen needs to be batting 6th while Quentin works the 7-8-9 spots.

Slappy
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM

If you plan on falling asleep in class, you know what to do...

NDSox12
05-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Definitely a disappointing game from him tonight. I thought he looked good on Sunday and was ready to break out, but I guess not.

SoxGirl4Life
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
and without a home run. Is that a first this year? a win without a homerun?

soxinem1
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Since none of them are hitting for the White Sox right now, I wouldn't wear any of them!!:smile:

russ99
05-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Alright, we beat the Twins.

Can everyone now climb off the ledge?

konerko 14
Great game all around tonight, pitching, defense and offense, Pierre is finally starting to get going

SoxandtheCityTee
That place beats the TrashBagDome all to hell. I like our record there so far. :D:

soxinem1
05-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Alright, we beat the Twins.

Can everyone now climb off the ledge?

Not so fast. Let's see what team shows up tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Grateful for the win.

Quentin and Beckham are beyond bad. I still think a stint in Charlotte would do both of them some good.

I am glad Jenks got through the ninth inning without giving up a run. I still don't trust him, though.

GoGoCrede
05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Since none of them are hitting for the White Sox right now, I wouldn't wear any of them!!:smile:

I see what you did there...

october23sp
05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
If you plan on falling asleep in class, you know what to do...

Hahahaha.

Slappy
05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Pierre is finally swinging the bat with some authority.

Gavin
05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Mauer got 3 hits but...

When he struck out on 4 pitches (all strikes) he looked baaaaaad. He was chasing junk. It gets better: Freddy Garcia was pitching.

soxlady8
05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Bullesye !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a nice win !!

I took some pepcid right when it was stated that Bobby would be out there for the 9th (ha ha ha )

JermaineDye05
05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
We got the win. However, Jenks did give up some fairly hard hit balls. I don't know if that'll pass as a step forward for Bobby. If we're not in Minnesota, both Thome's and Young's balls could have easily been HR, especially in Chicago. I'd like to see Ozzie at least give Putz/Santos a shot at closing a game. Tonight wouldn't have been a bad idea considering we had a 3-run lead.

We got the win regardless though and that's all that matters.

Rios is still swinging the hot stick.

veeter
05-11-2010, 10:13 PM
At least it's real baseball now in Minnesota. Great game. Freddy Garcia has been excellent. Nice team hitting and a great DP turned by Paulie!!

Marqhead
05-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Don't forget, tomorrow's game is at noon, everyone.

Hooray! Something to do at work!

pythons007
05-11-2010, 10:14 PM
How did Bobby make it interesting? He had a 3 run lead and only had 1 baserunner. He got to third but so what. That run meant absolutely nothing. That changeup to Punto for the strikeout was NASTY!!!

Great game from everyone on the bump and something that hasn't been said, double digit hits!!! ThTs when you know your offense is doing something!!!!

I ****ing love Alex Rios!!!

voodoochile
05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
How did Bobby make it interesting? He had a 3 run lead and only had 1 baserunner. He got to third but so what. That run meant absolutely nothing. That changeup to Punto for the strikeout was NASTY!!!

Great game from everyone on the bump and something that hasn't been said, double digit hits!!! ThTs when you know your offense is doing something!!!!

I ****ing love Alex Rios!!!

They've had like 3 games in a row with double digit hits. Offense is definitely starting to come around.

Freddy, Matt and Bobby, good job. Didn't get to see the game, was following on my Blackberry while in class. Always nice to beat the Twinkies...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

thomas35forever
05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Freddy was on his game again tonight. Alexei came through in the clutch when I didn't expect him to and it started the scoring in the fifth inning, which proved to be all we would get and all we would need. Bobby made me nervous when he took the mound, but he nailed down the damn save. Good game all-around.

I also echo the sentiments of other posters when I say Target Field is a much more pleasant place to watch baseball than the DumpDome.

soxlady8
05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
ahhh crud ... an afternoon game tomorrow ...ughhh !!!

I guess I will be following ESPN on the Blackberry !!

WhiteSox1989
05-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I've said it before: I really dig Rios.

Nice game. Get 'em again tomorrow, and then win the remaining games of the season. Not too much to ask for.

Domeshot17
05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Need the next one. A sweep is puts a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

JB98
05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
The Sox haven't won two in a row since they swept Seattle a couple weeks back. I think tomorrow would be a great time to change that trend.

Nice, solid victory tonight.

The Twins are still crappy. They are still perpetual losers. Go Sox.

asindc
05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
The Sox haven't won two in a row since they swept Seattle a couple weeks back. I think tomorrow would be a great time to change that trend.

Nice, solid victory tonight.

The Twins are still crappy. They are still perpetual losers. Go Sox.

I cannot read that too many times.:tongue:

TDog
05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Freddy looked goood with his off-speed stuff.

Jenks makes it interesting, but hey, he did the job.

Let's go for the SWEEP tomorrow and return the favor, albeit a two-gamer.

Jenks didn't made it that interesting (unless you expect the worst from him). The tying run didn't come up and only one hitter reached base.

I don't understand the part about returning the favor.

I'm happy for Jenks, and of course, for the White Sox beating the Twins. I could see it shaping up to be Thornton in the eighth and Jenks in the ninth and expected much distress among White Sox fans. Of course, Thornton came in to Mauer, Morneau and Kubel, because Mauer got on. There was no way he was going to pitch the ninth with another game scheduled in Minnesota tomorrow afternoon.

Garcia again pitched great against the Twins. He really has been a pleasant surprise this year.

The five two-out runs in the fifth made up for the Sox twice being unable to advance lead-off doubles from second base. The key is that second hitter, Beckham in the third and Rios in the eighth. In the third, the game was scoreless, and Beckham took two strikes, putting himself in a hole before flying out. In the eighth, the Sox needed to pad the lead and Rios struck out. Then I expected Guillen to bunt Ramirez in the ninth to get Beckham into scoring position. The fact that Ramirez didn't ground into a doubleplay didn't make things any better.

But the Sox did get those five two-out runs in the fifth, and if the pitching shows up, that should be plenty. The key to the inning was the Teahen walk. When Teahen went 3-2 with the tying run at third and one out, I was afraid he would strike out, as the next hitter Beckham did. When I looked at the lineup, I was concerned about just such a situation with the teams two strikeout leaders.

Of course, Ramirez hit changed the game with his two-out, lead changing two-run double, and Slowey wouldn't retire another hitter. It was a nice inning. And Ramirez wouldn't have been able to give the Sox the lead if Jones hadn't made the play in the bottom of the fourth. A nice game, sort of what I expected the Sox to play this year, with the exception of failing to advance lead-off hitters.

It is nice to see Pierre have another multi-hit game. And it's funny how ever when you move Beckham down in the order, he finds himself in the role of a No. 2 hitter his first time up and comes up with runners in scoring position his first two at bats.

No complaints, though. A nice win.

Gavin
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
White Sox BABIP up to .232! Keep it going!

Rios looks so comfy swinging his twig. He is a man in charge. I can't even remember how ****ty he was last year.

thomas35forever
05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
White Sox BABIP up to .232! Keep it going!

Rios looks so comfy swinging his twig. He is a man in charge. I can't even remember how ****ty he was last year.
:hawk
"I told you we'd hit our stride sooner or later."

hi im skot
05-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I've said it before: I really dig Rios.

Nice game. Get 'em again tomorrow, and then win the remaining games of the season. Not too much to ask for.

One down, fourteen to go.

Slappy
05-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Rios!

He'll be an all-star this year.

WhiteSox1989
05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
One down, fourteen to go.
Nah dude, 130 to go. Obviously the Sox are never going to lose again. Ever.

Dub25
05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Let me just say that if this game had been played in the dome, the scoring, and maybe the outcome, might have been different. Good to finally play the Twinkees in Minny in a baseball park.

Oh yeah, good job Bobby.:gulp:

Agreed my friend. I was thinking the same. :gulp:

Dub25
05-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Beckham.

hi im skot
05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Nah dude, 130 to go. Obviously the Sox are never going to lose again. Ever.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/PDVD_024.jpg

voodoochile
05-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Rios!

He'll be an all-star this year.

Love to see it, but right now the starting CF on the AL AS team is Wells, hands down.

Dub25
05-11-2010, 10:48 PM
They've had like 3 games in a row with double digit hits. Offense is definitely starting to come around.

Freddy, Matt and Bobby, good job. Didn't get to see the game, was following on my Blackberry while in class. Always nice to beat the Twinkies...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Which would make them 2-1 and should be 3-0. Ok, I like your thinking.

Slappy
05-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Love to see it, but right now the starting CF on the AL AS team is Wells, hands down.

Agreed, actually. I am rooting for Wells, too. Seems like a humble player. He is absolutely tearing the cover off the ball. I keep thinking of that laser he hit off Floyd the other day.

Tragg
05-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Nice win.

**** the Twins

Lip Man 1
05-11-2010, 11:08 PM
That may have been the best played game since opening day.

Lip

Hitmen77
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Grateful for the win.

Quentin and Beckham are beyond bad. I still think a stint in Charlotte would do both of them some good.

I am glad Jenks got through the ninth inning without giving up a run. I still don't trust him, though.

The Sox aren't going anywhere this year unless Beckham and Quentin start hitting. Quentin is the most discouraging. Most of the hitters looked good tonight and Quentin looked totally lost.

At least I could chalk up Beckham's woes to still adjusting to the majors. What happened to Carlos after 2008? Was '08 a fluke?

If I'm not mistaken, that 3 game sweep of Seattle was the only time this year that the Sox won more than one in a row. :o: Is this correct?

soxinem1
05-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Jenks didn't made it that interesting (unless you expect the worst from him). The tying run didn't come up and only one hitter reached base.

I don't understand the part about returning the favor.

MIN beat us twice at The Cell, so now we can return the favor and win two in their place.

I'm trying to stay positive about Jenks, however the two balls smoked off of him before Guillen's mound visit would have left The Cell and the other parks that don't have 411 ft. walls in CF (and that is most of them).

Mohoney
05-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm totally in favor of Garcia's 2010 being on par with Podsednik's 2009. So far, it's looking that way, and I really hope he stays healthy and keeps eating innings.

PhillipsBubba
05-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm happy they won and happy for the players. It must be satisfying to start out at the new field on a positive note.

...but if they lose tomorrow, what does it really mean?

VMSNS
05-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I didn't see the game, but I'm glad we won.

I thought Ozzie said he wasn't using Jenks anymore?

DirtySox
05-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I had to follow the game on my phone since I was in class. How did Beckham look at the plate? As awful as Quentin?

JB98
05-11-2010, 11:21 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that 3 game sweep of Seattle was the only time this year that the Sox won more than one in a row. :o: Is this correct?

The Sox also won back-to-back games April 11-12.

They defeated the Twins 5-4 at U.S. Cellular Field on April 11. They defeated the Blue Jays 8-7 at Rogers Centre on April 12.

soxfan1965
05-11-2010, 11:27 PM
>>>We got the win. However, Jenks did give up some fairly hard hit balls. I don't know if that'll pass as a step forward for Bobby<<< Would Ozzie have put Jenks in with a 1 run lead against this team? I hope not, not until there is more stability. Today's win still makes Sunday hard to forget.

WhiteSox1989
05-11-2010, 11:29 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/PDVD_024.jpg
I've never told you this, but I hate that picture. Nice effort, though.

I'm right half of the time, so the chances of the Sox never losing a game again are pretty good.

TDog
05-11-2010, 11:32 PM
MIN beat us twice at The Cell, so now we can return the favor and win two in their place.

I'm trying to stay positive about Jenks, however the two balls smoked off of him before Guillen's mound visit would have left The Cell and the other parks that don't have 411 ft. walls in CF (and that is most of them).

And Willie Mays would have run into a wall long before catching Vic Wertz's drive to center in the eighth inning of Game 1 of the 1954 World Series had the game not been played in the Polo Grounds. Giants pitcher Don Liddle still got his man.

For someone who had never pitched outside in Minneapolis, Jenks did a good job of pitching to the park against hitters who probably knew where not to hit the ball.

I'm impressed that Guillen came back with Jenks the game after his blown save, and I'm impressed that Jenks got the save. Having a three-run lead didn't hurt, of course. After Brian Wilson blew a 4-1 ninth-inning lead he inherited from Tim Lincecum this year, resulting in an extra-inning loss for the current Giants, Bruce Bochy went several days before pitching him again.

Tragg
05-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I didn't see the game, but I'm glad we won.

I thought Ozzie said he wasn't using Jenks anymore?

It was a 3 run lead....good spot to work his confidence back.

Konerko05
05-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I had to follow the game on my phone since I was in class. How did Beckham look at the plate? As awful as Quentin?

Beckham didn't look as miserable as Quentin. He still doesn't look comfortable though.

He had some pitches right down the plate that he either took or couldn't handle.

He did actually look really good pulling the ball for once tonight. He turned on a fastball and absolutely killed the ball. Unfortunately, hitting a homerun in that stadium almost seems impossible. Young made a really nice, running catch on the warning track.

He struck out on a questionable checked swing call by the 1B ump. Although if I recall correctly, Beckham had two pitches right down the plate for the first two strikes of the at bat.

He also grounded out weakly to 2B, and drew another walk.

He's taking bad pitches, but he's also not capatilizing on the good hitter's pitches.

I said in another thread, he really needs to concentrate on taking the ball opposite field right now. That is how his hot streak started last year. Eventually, he started turning on pitches and roping them to LF.

Rohan
05-11-2010, 11:42 PM
It was a 3 run lead....good spot to work his confidence back.

Now if only we could get his change up and curve ball going we'd be set.

Craig Grebeck
05-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Gah, Jenks' postgame comments were awful.

slavko
05-12-2010, 12:28 AM
But the Sox did get those five two-out runs in the fifth, and if the pitching shows up, that should be plenty. The key to the inning was the Teahen walk. When Teahen went 3-2 with the tying run at third and one out, I was afraid he would strike out, as the next hitter Beckham did. When I looked at the lineup, I was concerned about just such a situation with the teams two strikeout leaders.

Of course, Ramirez hit changed the game with his two-out, lead changing two-run double, and Slowey wouldn't retire another hitter. It was a nice inning. And Ramirez wouldn't have been able to give the Sox the lead if Jones hadn't made the play in the bottom of the fourth. A nice game, sort of what I expected the Sox to play this year, with the exception of failing to advance lead-off hitters.

I had the feeling Teahen was going to get nothing to hit, with Beckham coming up. He's capable of laying off teasing bad pitches and he did. I'm so used to failure in that spot, the key 2-out hits surprised me.

I said in another thread, he really needs to concentrate on taking the ball opposite field right now. That is how his hot streak started last year. Eventually, he started turning on pitches and roping them to LF.

That would help him stay closed, wouldn't it? You are correct, my friend.

GoGoCrede
05-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Gah, Jenks' postgame comments were awful.

Enlighten us, what did he say?

Craig Grebeck
05-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Enlighten us, what did he say?
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/05/jenks_unplugged_after_tuesday.html

Warning: foul language and general douchebaggery.

guillensdisciple
05-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Good win- win tomorrow and we have ourselves a small knock on the door of the A.L. Central. Kind of like a warning sign. The last thing anyone in the central wants to see is the Sox get it together. Pitching will beat them, and the hitting CAN produce.

Win tomorrow, and you can begin the run.

Rohan
05-12-2010, 12:56 AM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/05/jenks_unplugged_after_tuesday.html

Warning: foul language and general douchebaggery.

I don't think so... It's not like he's saying anything terribly inaccurate. It was just one game. That's not to say he's been perfect in his other appearances. But it was one game.

masloan
05-12-2010, 04:54 AM
I don't think so... It's not like he's saying anything terribly inaccurate. It was just one game. That's not to say he's been perfect in his other appearances. But it was one game.

He has been letting baserunners get on all season. His control has been poor all season. I absolutely hate Jenks' comments there. Even if you think that, which he should because he needs to shake off the poor outings, you do not make those comments.

doublem23
05-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Not so fast. Let's see what team shows up tomorrow.

Yeah, this has to be the 5th "all right, this is the game that they'll go on a roll" win we've already had.

Just got to take it one game at a time with these White Sox. But huge win, indeed. ****in' Twins.

doublem23
05-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Pierre is finally swinging the bat with some authority.

Ooh, did he hit one out of the infield?

soxfanreggie
05-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Yeah, this has to be the 5th "all right, this is the game that they'll go on a roll" win we've already had.

Just got to take it one game at a time with these White Sox. But huge win, indeed. ****in' Twins.

Indeed, Doub. I said in a previous thread that winning these games would go in a long way in getting us on a roll and back in the thick of things in the AL Central. However, we would have to continue to play winning baseball to catch up - regardless if we took both these games.

We just need to go out there right now and play the best baseball we are capable of playing. Hopefully guys like Paulie, Rios, and Jones will continue to hit the heck out of the ball. Paulie and Alex are having All-Star seasons right now on the offensive end, and Jones is proving to be a very, very valuable pick-up. We cannot just count on these guys though to carry the team: Peavy needs to throw like he has the last few games, and MB needs to start showing us his real stuff. If we can get the top of the rotation clicking like Danks, watch out! That could help us overcome the lack of production we're getting from Pierre, Becks, Quentin, and Alexei. It would be a great help to our resurgance in the AL Central to get at least one of those guys back on track soon, if not all of them.

hawkjt
05-12-2010, 08:28 AM
There ain't many prettier sights than those two line drives perfectly splitting the gaps by Alexi and AJ at Target Field.

Finally, it seems like real baseball up in Minneapolis again.
No doubt,the Twins will be tough up there,with a full house rooting them on for 81 games,but as Hawk said, I think for the Sox in particular, the absence of that frigging dome can really help them psychologically...it is a real field,no plastic, with normal elements, and long fences...hey, Sox play ok in Seattle's new park,which is similar.
Now that the Sox have Alex in center and Andruw(hopefully) in right, they can handle the spacious parks.

Have I said how comforting it is to have Alex in center lately? It is.
If the ball goes out there with any heighth,he will get to it...
Throw in the hitting and baserunning,and you got your basic 5 tool guy,in the most important outfield position...nice.

What can you say about Freddie? Smoke and mirrors? Who cares? Maybe,just maybe, the Twins cannot pick up on his soft stuff...why should the sox be the only team that cannot handle soft tossers?

PaleHoser
05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Two out RBI's and my team scored from first on doubles twice in the same inning. Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

jabrch
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what Jenks said.

Dibbs
05-12-2010, 09:16 AM
How nice for the Twins to leave the Dumpdome. I couldn't believe it until I seen it.

hi im skot
05-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what Jenks said.

Except for the fact it hasn't just been a month. He struggled throughout the second half of last season as well. I specifically remember him loading the bases with two outs against the Rays. Somehow he managed to get out of it.

We all know Jenks' M.O. lately - get the first two out, and then make things interesting. He's done it for awhile now.

We need Jenks to snap out of it, and I really hope he figures it out soon.

jabrch
05-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Except for the fact it hasn't just been a month. He struggled throughout the second half of last season as well. I specifically remember him loading the bases with two outs against the Rays. Somehow he managed to get out of it.

We all know Jenks' M.O. lately - get the first two out, and then make things interesting. He's done it for awhile now.

We need Jenks to snap out of it, and I really hope he figures it out soon.

Yeah, but don't you want him being confident? What do you expect him to say? "I kinda suck - let's see what **** I throw on the wall and if it sticks?"

If we expect honesty from players, managers and front office people in their answers to questions coming from the media, then we are being completely naive. If they give us a truly honest answer, they'd get crucified for that too.

I don't worry about what Jenks says. I worry about what he does.

hi im skot
05-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, but don't you want him being confident? What do you expect him to say? "I kinda suck - let's see what **** I throw on the wall and if it sticks?"

If we expect honesty from players, managers and front office people in their answers to questions coming from the media, then we are being completely naive. If they give us a truly honest answer, they'd get crucified for that too.

I don't worry about what Jenks says. I worry about what he does.

That's the thing, though; in his postgame interview on Sunday, he came off as having zero confidence. Granted, he had gotten rocked just 30 minutes before the interview, but still, he was in bad shape.

Without hearing the quotes from this latest interview, it's tough to tell if he's just in ultra-defensive mode, or if he's actually pissed off and full of confidence. I'm not attempting to bust his chops - I'm just pointing out that he's wrong about it just being one month that he's struggled.

Ultimately, as you said, it doesn't matter what he says - it's all about what he does.

jabrch
05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
That's the thing, though; in his postgame interview on Sunday, he came off as having zero confidence. Granted, he had gotten rocked just 30 minutes before the interview, but still, he was in bad shape.

Without hearing the quotes from this latest interview, it's tough to tell if he's just in ultra-defensive mode, or if he's actually pissed off and full of confidence. I'm not attempting to bust his chops - I'm just pointing out that he's wrong about it just being one month that he's struggled.

Ultimately, as you said, it doesn't matter what he says - it's all about what he does.

I think conventional baseball wisdom is that a closer has to have a very short memory when it comes to failures...That's probably what this is. I doubt Bobby truly looks at his performance unrealisticly when in private. That said, I doubt he analyzes it to the gnats ass level either. He converted 83% of his save chances last year and 88% the year before. This year he is at 86%. I know there are lots of ways that we can evaluate a closer besides save conversion rate, but that is not the worst way for a closer to look at himself either. Yeah - his ERA and WHIP suck this year. His baa is even worse. He's not throwing well at all. But he is 6 of 7 in save attempts. Not great...wish he had more attempts and more conversions - but the team hasn't helped him much. I'm concerned every time he touches the ball, but I am not ready to jump off the ledge just yet.

Zakath
05-12-2010, 10:33 AM

To put this into numbers, TCQ has been in 31 games this season, and he has failed to get a hit 17 times (in only one of those, April 18 @ Cleveland, did he appear as a pinch-hitter). Rios, in comparison, has only failed to hit safely 6 times in 30 games (the last one of those was April 25 vs. Seattle).

khan
05-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm overjoyed at the performance with RISP last night.

I'm pleased at AJ's and Pierre's performances.

Big Game Freddy lived up to the occasion.

At the same time:

Quentin and Beckham really need to be sent down. I've been calling for this for weeks, and in the interim, they've shown NO SIGNS of snapping out of it. They're killing the offense, and in Quentin's case, he's killing the defense as well. Just do the right thing. These two aren't HOF players-yet.

Bobby didn't get a single breaking ball over for a strike last night. In any other park, or in THIS park with the temp >60 degrees, he would have given up two or more homers. He's STILL struggling, and if this team has any prayer this season [which I still doubt], he NEEDS TO figure it out, and soon. Otherwise, the rest of the league will figure HIM out, if they haven't already.

TDog
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM

I don't see at all why his comments should be upsetting. If a relief pitcher can't look at a failure as just one game and move on, he isn't going to be worth anything. As for the Thome comment, it looked like something one former teammate and friend would say about another.