PDA

View Full Version : Do we have any other options for 5th Starter?

basilesox
05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Not sure what we can do here, but honestly I am sick about throwing Garcia against Slowey tonight in one of the biggest games of the year. If we lose both these games at Minny we will be ten out and have slim to no chance at making a run this year.

I realize Hudson is struggling at AAA this year, but I would prefer to see him out there in place of Garcia. Unless we pound out 5 or 6 runs at least tonight, I don't see how we are gonna beat them. With Mauer back they are just gonna feast on Garcia. I hope I am wrong and if I am you can all "I told you so" me for the rest of the season. However, I doubt I will be.

Curious to know what options we might have (If any) to replace Garcia at the five spot.

DirtySox
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Garcia hasn't been all that bad. I don't think any change needs to be made currently.

As far as Hudson goes, his last two starts he was back to form. His bad numbers resulted primarily from one horrendous outing where he was working on some mechanical changes. There was a recent article about it on MILB.com .

Aside from Hudson there isn't any pitching to step in except for Carlos Torres. Pitching depth is currently non existent in the farm system if you are talking legitimate prospects. I wouldn't be against Torres in the pen as a long man, but he certainly hasn't shown he is any better than Freddy.

WhiteSox1989
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Next to Danks, Garcia has been the most consistent pitcher in the rotation.

I don't see the problem if he keeps pitching as well as he has.

TDog
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Next to Danks, Garcia has been the most consistent pitcher in the rotation.

I don't see the problem if he keeps pitching as well as he has.

Danks and Garcia might be 1 and 2 in quality starts on the staff. At least they were a week ago. Garcia has been a more effective starter than Floyd this year. His ERA, however, has taken a hit from bad starts against the Blue Jays and Yankees.

Garcia's first start this season was against the Twins, and he only gave up 3 hits in 7 innings in a 2-1 loss. That doesn't mean he will pitch as well against the Twins in Minnesota, but considering the overall success in the starters this season, Garcia seems at least as good an option as any.

eriqjaffe
05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Garcia is the least of our problems right now, IMHO.

GoGoCrede
05-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Garcia is the least of our problems right now, IMHO.

This. As much as I hate to admit it, Gavin is a bigger problem than Garcia right now, among others.

thomas35forever
05-11-2010, 04:46 PM
As others have pointed out, Freddy has been our second best starter in the rotation. Take away Peavy's last two starts and the rest of the rotation outside of Danks has been downright awful. I don't want Hudson anywhere near the ML roster until he gets his **** together down in the minors.

twinsuck
05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Don't worry about Freddy, worry about GAVIN.

DumpJerry
05-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Freddy is fine.

I'm looking for alternative batters for Quentin, Beckham, Teahean, Kotsay, Ramirez.....oh damn, this list is tooooo long!:angry:

Daver
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
:chopper

Put me in coach.

GoGoCrede
05-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Put me in coach.

That dog is gorgeous. So are those flowers.

Frontman
05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
With all the other things going wrong with this team; do we really need to worry about the 5th starter when 1st, 2nd, and 4th starters have been inconsistent?

This is going to be a very long season......

Daver
05-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Words cannot describe how much I miss that dog.

DumpJerry
05-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Put me in coach.

He throws a wicked Spitter.

GoGoCrede
05-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Words cannot describe how much I miss that dog.

He's gone? :(: What was his name?

Daver
05-11-2010, 08:08 PM
He's gone? :(: What was his name?

Chopper was my best friend for a lot of years, the day he stopped running is one of the saddest days of my life.

TheCommander
05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Not sure what we can do here, but honestly I am sick about throwing Garcia against Slowey tonight in one of the biggest games of the year. If we lose both these games at Minny we will be ten out and have slim to no chance at making a run this year.

I realize Hudson is struggling at AAA this year, but I would prefer to see him out there in place of Garcia. Unless we pound out 5 or 6 runs at least tonight, I don't see how we are gonna beat them. With Mauer back they are just gonna feast on Garcia. I hope I am wrong and if I am you can all "I told you so" me for the rest of the season. However, I doubt I will be.

Is it too early to say that yet? :tongue:

DumpJerry
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM

Curious to know what options we might have (If any) to replace Garcia at the five spot.
Please make similar threads about our starter each night. I think we're on to something....:)

soxinem1
05-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Except for a couple bad innings he's done well. And with the win tonight he is second on the team in wins.

I'm not a big believer in Garcia, but he's been okay for now. No need to drop anchor.

guillen4life13
05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Chopper was my best friend for a lot of years, the day he stopped running is one of the saddest days of my life.

Same boat with Buddy, my former partner in crime. Looked much like Chopper from the picture.

veeter
05-11-2010, 10:18 PM

Curious to know what options we might have (If any) to replace Garcia at the five spot.Get a ****ing clue.

spawn
05-12-2010, 06:57 AM

You were wrong.
You were wrong.
You were wrong.
You were wrong.
You were wrong.

Have I mentioned yet that you were wrong?

By the way, you were wrong.

Oh yeah, do you realize how wrong you were?

Jim Shorts
05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I really question the timing of this thread and if the originator has watched all five starters this year...

Freddie is the least of this organization's problems right now.

Coops4Aces
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
2-2 with a 4.75 ERA? Worst fifth starter ever! :rolleyes:

I'll take that all day...