PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Could Be Released Soon

DirtySox
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Sleeping in the clubhouse during the game is certainly very odd.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/05/10/1181188/commentary-for-griffey-and-mariners.html

asindc
05-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I doubt seriously that he is the first one to do that.

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I think the Cubs had a player in the '30s who would allegedly nod off quite a bit in the OF while standing up (he was usually hung over if not drunk).

Still, it's sad to see such a great player's career end like this.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Go get him KW. He's the left-handed bat we need!

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Casey Stengel fell asleep in the dugout many times while managing the expansion years of the Mets. 40-120 in 1962 will do that. Improved to 50 plus wins for the next 3 years.

NardiWasHere
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm not making up excuses, but if it was a big deal to them, why didn't they just wake him up?

Dibbs
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
It's over Ken. Time to hang 'em up.

TDog
05-10-2010, 04:34 PM

The 1977 White Sox had a manager who was caught sleeping in the dugout during games -- literally. One would think that wouldn't be easy with all the loud hitting and hysterical base-running blunders going on. When the act grew thin in 1978 because the White Sox stopped winning, they fired Bob Lemon, who went to the Yankees and won the World Series a few months later. I don't know if did anything special to stay awake in New York.

Griffey, frankly, looked done when he was with the White Sox, although he had a couple of great moments. Just a couple. if you saw him play this year, you might wonder why he wasn't released from his player contract and signed on as the new hitting coach, but you would be forgetting that he couldn't help Nick Swisher.

Noneck
05-10-2010, 04:47 PM
It amazes me sometimes when a player just doesn't know when to hang it up. Stuff like this would embarrass the heck out of me. I saw Willie Mays late in his career, it was very sad. But those were the days before you made enough money to take care of your great, great, great grand children's children.

slavko
05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
The 1977 White Sox had a manager who was caught sleeping in the dugout during games -- literally. One would think that wouldn't be easy with all the loud hitting and hysterical base-running blunders going on. When the act grew thin in 1978 because the White Sox stopped winning, they fired Bob Lemon, who went to the Yankees and won the World Series a few months later. I don't know if did anything special to stay awake in New York.

Griffey, frankly, looked done when he was with the White Sox, although he had a couple of great moments. Just a couple. if you saw him play this year, you might wonder why he wasn't released from his player contract and signed on as the new hitting coach, but you would be forgetting that he couldn't help Nick Swisher.

Fill me in. I remember throwing out somebody at home on a short fly ball in Game 163? Do the catch and throw count as separate moments?

white sox bill
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
It seems like Harold Baines is constantly asleep in the dugout

GoGoCrede
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
And the Mariners' woes continue.

LongLiveFisk
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
It amazes me sometimes when a player just doesn't know when to hang it up. Stuff like this would embarrass the heck out of me. I saw Willie Mays late in his career, it was very sad. But those were the days before you made enough money to take care of your great, great, great grand children's children.

Exactly. I heard guys often had to take off-season jobs to support themselves back in the day. Can you imagine that today?

At any rate, it's too bad about Griffey. He has been a great player for a long time and I will miss watching him play.

seventyseven
05-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Exactly. I heard guys often had to take off-season jobs to support themselves back in the day. Can you imagine that today?

At any rate, it's too bad about Griffey. He has been a great player for a long time and I will miss watching him play.

Sadly, this is not true.

Griffey hasn't been "great" since 2000, his first year with the Reds. Since then, he has never driven in more than 100 runs in a season, never scored more than 100 runs, only hit more than 30 HRs twice, and hit over .300 once (.301 to be exact). And since 2000, he's stolen 11 bases TOTAL.

Of course, injuries are a big factor in this. But the guy hasn't been great player in over 10 years.

Medford Bobby
05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I was surprised the Mariner's wanted to offer him a contract for this year...their only reason to bring him back must have been to keep the nostalgic tour going.

I mean isn't garlic fries enough of a reason to show up at The Safe.....:scratch:

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2010, 07:52 PM

It was Paul Richards who was sleeping and it was in 1976, he quit after the season and was replaced by Bob Lemon for 1977.

soxinem1
05-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I think SEA will give him the retirement option and not release him.

The few times I've seen Junior he sure does not look like he is having fun, or is even confident in his abilities anymore.

Sort of like Harold Baines in 2001. It is sad to watch, but it is not the first time.

Steve Carlton, Phil Niekro, Graig Nettles, Tommy John, and a bunch of others all hung around way too long, and it was sad to see them have to get literally shoved out the door. Carlton even went to AAA when he was about 43 years old.

Cal Ripken left at the right time and did it the right way, and Griffey should have done it the same way.

Junior should have enjoyed the farewell tour last year and hung it up.

MARTINMVP
05-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Sadly, this is not true.

Griffey hasn't been "great" since 2000, his first year with the Reds. Since then, he has never driven in more than 100 runs in a season, never scored more than 100 runs, only hit more than 30 HRs twice, and hit over .300 once (.301 to be exact). And since 2000, he's stolen 11 bases TOTAL.

Of course, injuries are a big factor in this. But the guy hasn't been great player in over 10 years.

While I was never a Seattle or a Cincinatti fan, I have to admit those first few years where Griffey was on the downside, I was a bit sad. He was just very exciting to watch and had that extra flair that made him larger than life.

I've had the sense that Griffey's been overdue for retirement for a few years now, so while I hate hearing about this current situation, I'm not all that surprised that his career may end this way (surprised about the falling asleep though).

Slappy
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Go get him KW. He's the left-handed bat we need!

Ha! I felt so bad for him when I read this.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/seeing-ken-griffey-jr-in-backwards-hat-now-just-de,17191/

LongLiveFisk
05-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Sadly, this is not true.

Yeah, I guess I tend to always think of Jr's early years, which were fantastic. He hasn't been great the past 10 years but overall I still think of him as a great player.

TDog
05-10-2010, 10:44 PM
It was Paul Richards who was sleeping and it was in 1976, he quit after the season and was replaced by Bob Lemon for 1977.

And when Bob Lemon was fired in 1978, there was a story that talked about him sleeping in the dugout.

TDog
05-10-2010, 11:23 PM

Willie Mays was making more than $200,000 for the Mets in 1973, which was extremely good money in pre-free agency baseball. He and Dick Allen may have been the only $200,000 men in baseball at the time. I was watching Mays play center field and after fielding a hit in the gap, he flipped a ball to the right fielder to get the ball back into the infield. I thought, this is Willie Mays, on of the greatest outfielders ever to play the game, but he's a slow, old man who knows he can't hit the cut-off man. It was sad.

Harold Baines was hurt at the end of his career with the White Sox. Of course, his knee surgeries restricted his movement. It would have been nice for him to hang on for 3,000 hits, because he would have received the respect he deserved but never got. Frank Thomas at the end with Oakland had nothing and was less than a shadow of the player he was with the White Sox.

There was a game in August 2008 where both Thomas and Griffey were DHing. Thomas looked awful against Danks. The only time he hit the ball, he grounded into an inning-ending doubleplay in the game won by the White Sox 2-1. Griffey had a couple of hits, but he hit one to the wall for a single and Dewayne Wise came in to pinch run for him.

On my way home on the BART, a woman decked out in A's gear told a friend that it was a tough loss, but at least she got to see Griffey in person.

And in the White Sox dugout that afternoon was bench coach Joey Cora, who in the 1990s hit in front of both Thomas and Griffey when they were among the greatest-ever hitters for their respective teams.

Gavin
05-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I might be the only one, but I'm a little annoyed that an "anonymous player" is snitching about "Ol' Man Griffey" sleeping in the clubhouse. Was Griff taking someones PT? Christ, at least man up when you're going to feed this kind of bait to the press.

Whatever happened to "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

g0g0
05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Old Grif is getting up there. Let the geezer take a nap! :D:

Noneck
05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Willie Mays was making more than $200,000 for the Mets in 1973, which was extremely good money in pre-free agency baseball.

There is no comparison in what Mays and Griffy made throughout their careers in inflationary dollars.