PDA

View Full Version : Some Positives

delben91
05-10-2010, 10:57 AM
First, don't take this as an "everything will turn around" thread. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. That said, there are a couple of good signs over the past week.

- Peavy, Danks, and to a lesser extent Buehrle and Garcia are throwing the way we'd hoped they would.

- Rios is exceeding my hopes and expectations

- Ditto for Andruw Jones

- Alexei and AJ are starting to swing the bats better, and just maybe TCQ is starting to get over the hump after yesterday's outing.

- Konerko, showing his 2005 form..

- Thornton, Putz and Santos are really going strong.

Teahen, Pierre, Beckham, Kotsay and the like are still struggling, and Bobby, well, there are plenty of threads on Bobby.

The team hasn't put it all together yet, and maybe they eventually do, or maybe they don't and we get into 2007 territory. But seems to me if the hitters keep waking up and the pitchers can keep on the trend we've seen start over the past week, this team will be better than it currently is showing. Will "better" be enough? Maybe not, but I'm a glass half full type of guy.

GAsoxfan
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
- Alexei and AJ are starting to swing the bats better, and just maybe TCQ is starting to get over the hump after yesterday's outing.

I'd add Juan to that list. In May he's averaging .316/.366.

NoNeckEra
05-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I couldn't agree more.

While yesterday was hard to take, the offense showed some heart, and at least we learned something about our closer role and this could make us stronger going forward.

Take two in Minnesota and all is well(at least feeling better).

Lose two in Minnesota and it's going to be a long year.

pythons007
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Yesterday was heart wrenching. I saw Bobby on the mound in the 9th when it was 7-5. It seemed as though i turned my head for a second and it was magically 8-7 and I did the infamous:facepalm:

I've been a loyal glass is half full all season and I still feel this way. However, we are still not showing significant signs of turning anything around.

Rios is awesome, and I wouldn't have predicted his numbers if you gave me 100 tries. He's on pace for 30 homers and 50 steals I read somewhere!!

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I see this team as a pipe leak.

The minute you plug up one hole, another hole breaks open.

WhiteSox1989
05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I still think they'll go on a 15 game winning streak. :smile:

October26
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Thank you for posting this. You made me smile today.

This "Some Positives" thread is great and I appreciate it so much, especially today, since I'm having a rough morning at work. Keep posting positives, please!

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM

And I promise to buy you the best steak Chicago has to offer if that happens.

I promise.

captain54
05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
The "glass half full" approach is refreshing, if not somewhat unrealistic and slightly out of kilter from what is really happening.

For every positive mentioned there's a corresponding negative. Which pretty much puts this team somewhere in the middle of the pack, at best.

I don't have any problem cheering for and following a middle of the pack team, but when you see the same re-occuring issues in 2010 as you've seen over the past few years, it makes you wonder what the hell is going on up in the ivory towers of 35th and Shields.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
The "glass half full" approach is refreshing, if not somewhat unrealistic and slightly out of kilter from what is really happening.

For every positive mentioned there's a corresponding negative. Which pretty much puts this team somewhere in the middle of the pack, at best.

I don't have any problem cheering for and following a middle of the pack team, but when you see the same re-occuring issues in 2010 as you've seen over the past few years, it makes you wonder what the hell is going on up in the ivory towers of 35th and Shields.

I will give it a shot at this "glass half full" thing.

The positives on this team right now are much closer to career averages than the negatives are.

So there is a ton of room for improvement.

Foulke You
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I also refuse to believe that this team will hit .225 as a ballclub all year long. With all of our flaws, the offense is just better than that. I just hope we aren't 14 games back when they decide to turn it on. Quentin and Beckham are the keys. We will sink or swim with their turnarounds or lack thereof.

PhillipsBubba
05-10-2010, 12:17 PM
.....and nobody fell out of the upper deck!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/2005/08/09/RV4egMXy.jpg

delben91
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
.....and nobody fell out of the upper deck!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/2005/08/09/RV4egMXy.jpg

I was actually at that game. Totally scary (and later ridiculous) to watch the guy pitch over the railing.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I was actually at that game. Totally scary (and later ridiculous) to watch the guy pitch over the railing.

Hawks comentating during that fiasco was so awesome.

voodoochile
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
This team starting to hit can only be a good thing. It has been frustrating that when one thing gets going another thing breaks down, but signs of life for the offense and starting pitching are excellent stepping stones. Even Floyd's 5 runs were scored on only 5 hits and two walks while he also struck out the same number of Jays and managed to pitch into the 7th.

Bobby is struggling, that's not good, but there's people the Sox can call on if it continues. Hopefully not and he ends up going 35/36 in save opportunities this season.

Johnny Mostil
05-10-2010, 12:30 PM

:thumbsup:

14 of next 19 on road. We'll probably know a lot after that . . .

mantis1212
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
A whle lot of divisional games to play this year, starting this week in Minnesota without the baggy dome.

sox1970
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
:thumbsup:

14 of next 19 on road. We'll probably know a lot after that . . .

I'll make this simple. The Sox have 56 games until the break. If they don't play .625 ball, they're done. In other words, they're probably done.

tsoxman
05-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I'll make this simple. The Sox have 56 games until the break. If they don't play .625 ball, they're done. In other words, they're probably done.
I agree, And with that, my hope is that KW takes many of the positives from the original post and leverages some of them into rebuilding a team that has been broken since 2006.

Rohan
05-10-2010, 01:40 PM
:threadrules:

rwcescato
05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
First, don't take this as an "everything will turn around" thread. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. That said, there are a couple of good signs over the past week.

- Peavy, Danks, and to a lesser extent Buehrle and Garcia are throwing the way we'd hoped they would.

- Rios is exceeding my hopes and expectations

- Ditto for Andruw Jones

- Konerko, showing his 2005 form..

- Thornton, Putz and Santos are really going strong.

Teahen, Pierre, Beckham, Kotsay and the like are still struggling, and Bobby, well, there are plenty of threads on Bobby.

The team hasn't put it all together yet, and maybe they eventually do, or maybe they don't and we get into 2007 territory. But seems to me if the hitters keep waking up and the pitchers can keep on the trend we've seen start over the past week, this team will be better than it currently is showing. Will "better" be enough? Maybe not, but I'm a glass half full type of guy.

Thats wishful thinking. This is the same delemma they get into every year. They have to win 10 in a row or like 15 out of 20 just to get back into it. Its a broken record. I am never gonna get excited about this team again. I will wait til they play 60 to 70 games each year before I get excited.

voodoochile
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Thats wishful thinking. This is the same delemma they get into every year. They have to win 10 in a row or like 15 out of 20 just to get back into it. Its a broken record. I am never gonna get excited about this team again. I will wait til they play 60 to 70 games each year before I get excited.

LOL... Yes yes, hedge your bets. Be absolutely sure the team is worthy of your enthusiasm before letting your emotions out. That would have worked so well in 2006... no... wait...

Being a fan means riding the ups AND the downs with your team. All this year has proven so far is that there is no such thing as a sure thing in this game and there's still so much baseball to be played...

jabrch
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I am never gonna get excited about this team again. I will wait til they play 60 to 70 games each year before I get excited.

If that will make the game more enjoyable for you, then so be it. I know I couldn't do that. Everyone chooses how their own type of fandom is...if your's is - "If they are good in July, I'll start following them...", I am sure the bandwagon will welcome you with open arms when you come, and will have a blast while you are doing whatever else you do.

WhiteSox1989
05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Why bother, then?

tstrike2000
05-10-2010, 03:10 PM
And I promise to buy you the best steak Chicago has to offer if that happens.

I promise.

Ditto, I'll buy a couple of steak dinners if that happens.

WhiteSox1989
05-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Ditto, I'll buy a couple of steak dinners if that happens.
I should be positive more often.

WhiteSox5187
05-11-2010, 03:34 AM
You know, in May Pierre is hitting over .300 with an OBP of .366, AJ is hitting .286, Paulie is still hitting well, so is Jones and Rios. Even Quentin is hitting above .250 the past two weeks. The offense is coming around a bit with the exception of Beckham and Teahan (Alexei can be added, but he has never hit well until the second half of May), but now the pitching is seemingly a problem. We're six games under and have a rather tough schedule ahead. If we can get to above .500 by the end of May, I am going to go out on the line here and suggest that we will wind up at least contending (if not flat out winning) the division. But before we can even think of contending we have to get above .500, somehow sweeping Minnesota and then sweeping an awful KC team will help do that.

Walker29
05-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Positives: Opening Day...That was pretty awesome! Hopefully, the "Mother's Day Implosion" will result in the Sox taking one step backward, to take two steps forward...solidifying the bullpen and the closer's role specifically. The offense is definately moving in the right direction, or at least a good portion of it is. Don't lose anymore ground to the Twins, this week and play some solid baseball, hell win a series or two and see what happens. My wife and I are going to the game on 5/22 and are hoping for some positive mojo going in to it...definately don't want to spend my Saturday at a baseball funeral.

Go Sox!