PDA

View Full Version : This was supposed to be a good year...

Rikirk
05-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Yeah,...right....

Now pull the other one.

MetroPD
05-10-2010, 05:28 AM
:scratch: We still have the same management running the team. Why would you think it was going to change dramatically?

Parrothead
05-10-2010, 06:31 AM
not according to vegas...sox were picked to win about 79 games. looks like they will be right.

october23sp
05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
not according to vegas...sox were picked to win about 79 games. looks like they will be right.

About 17 games off my friend.:tongue::(:

twinsuck
05-11-2010, 04:50 PM
79 wins!!! That would be amazing for this team, not even joking! I actually would be happy with that. Isn't that sad?? :D:

doublem23
05-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Again, FWIW, Vegas odds aren't meant to be used strictly as predictions; the odds are designed to ensure an equal number of dollars is bet on either side. What they're really measuring is the general feeling surrounding a team rather than measuring the team itself. Maybe that measures roughly the same thing, but that extra wrinkle really doesn't lend itself to quoting Vegas odds as "expert predictions."

pudge
05-12-2010, 12:19 AM
At this stage, I think this team could easily end up around .500. They may not be a great team, but they have clearly played below what they are capable of. In the end, I don't think .500 is such a shock when looking at what we had in spring training. I think we all hoped for better, but nobody would be stunned. The upside was probably 92-93 wins. Now if they finish with something awful like 65 wins, that would be shocking.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Again, FWIW, Vegas odds aren't meant to be used strictly as predictions; the odds are designed to ensure an equal number of dollars is bet on either side. What they're really measuring is the general feeling surrounding a team rather than measuring the team itself. Maybe that measures roughly the same thing, but that extra wrinkle really doesn't lend itself to quoting Vegas odds as "expert predictions."So few people grasp this.

I don't even gamble, and I understand that Vegas odds reflect betting, not analysis.

Madscout
05-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Let me throw a splash of optimism on this thread. I look back to '05 and look at the team we played in the WS. If they can scratch and claw to do what they did, so can we.

LongLiveFisk
05-12-2010, 11:28 PM
It's only May. You never know what could happen.

What was the '83 team's win-loss record after May was all said and done? IIRC, it was rather dismal.

Shoeless
05-12-2010, 11:54 PM
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4199/lolyx1.png

Rikirk
05-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Just one question ?
Are the Twins as good as advertised?...or will they implode come mid to late season?

Ah who am I kidding, any team with the likes of Morneau, Kubel and that ilk are worth their salt.
...gotta offer agrudging respect to them.

pudge
05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Let me throw a splash of optimism on this thread. I look back to '05 and look at the team we played in the WS. If they can scratch and claw to do what they did, so can we.

It's only May. You never know what could happen.

What was the '83 team's win-loss record after May was all said and done? IIRC, it was rather dismal.

You guys have obviously missed the endless threads on this - only the mathematically challenged waste their money on lottery tickets.

doublem23
05-13-2010, 05:18 AM
You guys have obviously missed the endless threads on this - only the mathematically challenged waste their money on lottery tickets.

Tell that to these two:

http://www.worldcorrespondents.com/cas-266-million-mega-millions-winner-revealed-meet-jacki-and-gilbert-cisneros/885389

Hitmen77
05-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah,...right....

Now pull the other one.

Who said it was supposed to be a good year? Ozzie and Kenny? When they were telling me in February that all we needed were bench players for DH, I knew we'd be in for a long season.

Anybody who is surprised that the Sox offense is sinking us fast just had the wool pulled over their eyes.

asindc
05-13-2010, 08:01 AM

Not a good analogy.

cards press box
05-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Who said it was supposed to be a good year? Ozzie and Kenny? When they were telling me in February that all we needed were bench players for DH, I knew we'd be in for a long season.

Anybody who is surprised that the Sox offense is sinking us fast just had the wool pulled over their eyes.

But Jones essentially took over the DH slot and he has been fine. The biggest problem with the Sox offense has been the slow starts of Beckham and Quentin. And let's face it -- if those two don't start to hit, none of the offseason moves or anything else matters a whole bunch.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-13-2010, 09:56 AM

2005 NL Central vs. 2010 AL Central. 2005 NL vs. 2010 AL.

pudge
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Tell that to these two:

http://www.worldcorrespondents.com/cas-266-million-mega-millions-winner-revealed-meet-jacki-and-gilbert-cisneros/885389

Haha, that's exactly my point! We always hear about the winners, never about the deadbeats who spend all their money thinking they're going to win.

I can promise you something, you can spend your entire paycheck on lottery tickets for the rest of your life, and you are NEVER going to win the jackpot. NEVER. How can I be so sure? Because the odds are that much in my favor.

The same goes for all this crap about the '83 Sox. Granted, the odds are a little different, but same concept.

pudge
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Not a good analogy.

I actually think it's the perfect analogy. Granted, the odds are not quite the same, but it is the same exact concept. How does the state get people to buy lottery tickets? By constantly reminding us of the miracle winners. How does a ballclub, or a fan base, keep you believing in a hopeless season? By constantly pointing to the one or two miracle teams. The odds are now astronomically against this Sox team winning this division. Just because it happened to the '83 Sox does not improve the odds one single bit, just like your neighbor winning the jackpot does not improve your odds of winning it.

asindc
05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
I actually think it's the perfect analogy. Granted, the odds are not quite the same, but it is the same exact concept. How does the state get people to buy lottery tickets? By constantly reminding us of the miracle winners. How does a ballclub, or a fan base, keep you believing in a hopeless season? By constantly pointing to the one or two miracle teams. The odds are now astronomically against this Sox team winning this division. Just because it happened to the '83 Sox does not improve the odds one single bit, just like your neighbor winning the jackpot does not improve your odds of winning it.

For the analogy to work, the lottery would have to allow you a refund of your money after only one of the six numbers have been drawn. "22,... Man, I can't win anything, I want my money back."

downstairs
05-13-2010, 03:44 PM
So few people grasp this.

I don't even gamble, and I understand that Vegas odds reflect betting, not analysis.

Exactly. Popular teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs always have inflated odds. Lots of betters are merely fans of the team who put down a token $20 when on vacation to Las Vegas.

Anytime I'm in vegas, I always put down $20 on the White Sox to win the World Series- why not? However, I'm helping skew the odds from reality.

munchman33
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
The only people who thought this would be anything other than a disaster season for us are on this board. 99% of the baseball following population new we were going to blow chunks. I don't feel bad for anyone surprised things didn't work out. Perhaps this will be a learning experience.

october23sp
05-13-2010, 04:31 PM
The only people who thought this would be anything other than a disaster season for us are on this board. 99% of the baseball following population new we were going to blow chunks. I don't feel bad for anyone surprised things didn't work out. Perhaps this will be a learning experience.

I was optimistic at the beginning but I quickly saw how awful this team was.

theamb
05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I didn't think we would be awful

But at least considerably better than Cleveland and Kansas City