PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Four-Gone Conclusion: The Pen Blows' TOR vs White Sox 5/9 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Another late inning lead goes down in flames....... A four run ninth this time.

Bobby with nothing today, and it showed early on. You'd think after sitting for days, and finally getting into a situation you can slam the door, he'd come in charged up pumping heat? No, Jenks nibbles around and give up four runs.:angry:

Has any team blown as many leads as we have from the seventh inning on like we have in 2010?:mad:

Stranded a bunch of runners today too.

Another piss-poor effort following a solid game. Do these guys just love one-game winning streaks or what?

kevingrt
05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Go Blackhawks!

We all need a break from this disgusting beisbol.

thomas35forever
05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Do I have to watch this **** all summer long? I better get an internship or something to get my mind off this crap known as the 2010 Chicago White Sox.

WhiteSox1989
05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Pretty happy there's no game tomorrow.

Jenks is ****ing awful. And I'm tired of all the excuses.

soxlady8
05-09-2010, 04:37 PM
With tomorrow being an off day I can put in a longer workout session w.o. hurrying to get home to watch the crapfest aka Chicago White Sox baseball ---

what a freaking rollercoaster TODAY !!!

DaveFeelsRight
blame bobby for this one. the offense did all they could to get a 2-run lead going into the 9th.

yazz32
i really really picked a bad week to give up drinking. This one was tough to stomach.....

DrCrawdad
12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...(DARN) JENKS!:angry:

WhiteSox5187
05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
This team is done. They will roll over and die like the dogs that they are. You can't leave 12 men on base, that's ****ing pathetic. It shouldn't have been close. Then, when you're getting paid millions of dollars to close out ball games you should be able to get at least ONE ****ing out. If the Jenks era does not end today, the Ozzie era should, maybe the Williams era as well.

In fact, after losing a game like this in '85 Hawk's bitching got arguably one of the best GMs we've had fired.

soxlady8
well Floyd DID not pitch that bad ... lookin' at his stats coming into the game I thought we would be DOOMED by him !! (and not so much by Bobby ) --

Frater Perdurabo
Terrible, demoralizing, puketacular.

Parrothead
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
the just suck...it is going to long year

WhiteSox5187
blame bobby for this one. the offense did all they could to get a 2-run lead going into the 9th.

Don't think the offense doesn't deserve any blame, they left twelve men stranded. ****, we had the bases loaded and could only bring in a run by getting hit by a pitch.

twinslayer
We are the best team
in all of the MLB
Jenks is the best, man!!!

october23sp
Closing is the most over rated position in all of sports and we don't have a guy who can do that.

Slappy
So the Sox are not only unwilling to move Gordon down in the order, but they also wont put him in AAA to get his groove back.

For a guy that has never played a full MLB season - sounds like a recipe for success to me!

WhiteSox5187
the just suck...it is going to long year

They are what they are and that is a ****ty ****ing baseball team.

thomas35forever
05-09-2010, 04:40 PM
We are the best team
in all of the MLB
Not today. I'm too pissed off to be poetic, even in the playful sense.

soxlady8
Frater said it BEST---

Tragg
What a mess of an organization.

And the coup de grace, when we need a PH in the 9th, we have Kotsay instead of Thome. Thanks again, Oz.

Dan H
Every closer blows games but that was the most pathetic performance I have seen by a reliever in a long time. The gun on TV said Jenks was throwing in the mid-90's but I don't believe it. There is no way Jenks is the closer for this team as far as I'm concerned. We will see what kind of state of denial the White Sox are in. This is not the Jenks of '05. I don't know who he is, but an effective closer he is not.

Rockabilly
can't wait for that fire sale to start happening. As of today we are 8 games out :-(

Nelfox02
05-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Just. Not. Meant. To. Be.

felt this way after the final out on Friday, REALLY feel this way now

when we pitch, we dont hit

when we hit, we dont pitch

when we need the pen to come thru in a tight game, its too hit or miss

just cant put it all together We should have won all 4 of these, at least 3 of the 4 but to go 1-4? I think we are 8 games out now (I dont have the heart to look at the actual standings)

LoveYourSuit
We are so bad right now and the Twins are so damn good.

Here is where I lose hope.

Can't wait for the Twins to start playing outdoors so that we can close that gap.

Corlose 15
Another late inning lead goes down in flames....... A four run ninth this time.

Bobby with nothing today, and it showed early on. You'd think after sitting for days, and finally getting into a situation you can slam the door, he'd come in charged up pumping heat? No, Jenks nibbles around and give up four runs.:angry:

Has any team blown as many leads as we have from the seventh inning on like we have in 2010?:mad:

Stranded a bunch of runners today too.

Another piss-poor effort following a solid game. Do these guys just love one-game winning streaks or what?

It didn't seem to me like he was nibbling, it seemed like he was grooving 96mph fastballs right down the middle.

Either way this game should've been a blowout. Alexei and Beckham did NOTHING today with multiple chances.

This team keeps finding ways to lose.

october23sp
can't wait for that fire sale to start happening. As of today we are 8 games out :-(

Me too actually, I'd rather suck with the future than suck with the past.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
We are the best team
in all of the MLB

While your form is correct, I take great exception to the content. Only someone under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol can say something so careless! :redneck

guillensdisciple
05-09-2010, 04:42 PM
12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...12 runners left on base...(DARN) JENKS!:angry:

Not a chance in hell I am blaming the offense today.

The pitching was supposed to be the second coming of God.

No, here it is the pitchers fault. This series was lost because of the picthing.

Time to make moves Kenny. **** loyalty, and **** love for the organization.

You *******s preach this White Sox pride and White Sox tradition. You're right, our pride is the fact that we're losing, and thanks for making me proud. Screw yourself Jenks, and Kenny start doing something or else you guys might have a stadium full of 10000 people.

SoxGirl4Life
05-09-2010, 04:43 PM
The "pen" didn't blow it. Bobby did. The hitters blew it for not freakin' going for the jugular when they had a chance (3rd inning, 7th inning, hell even 8th inning)

Man-o-man, they couldn't possibly rip my heart out in a more painful way

thomas35forever
Just. Not. Meant. To. Be.

felt this way after the final out on Friday, REALLY feel this way now

when we pitch, we dont hit

when we hit, we dont pitch

when we need the pen to come thru in a tight game, its too hit or miss

just cant put it all together We should have won all 4 of these, at least 3 of the 4 but to go 1-4? I think we are 8 games out now (I dont have the heart to look at the actual standings)
Agreed. When one problem is solved, another one emerges. I just don't know what can be done to correct it all. This team is in shambles.

LoveYourSuit
You guys know this is Jenks first blown save of the year.

Please come back in and get off the ledge.

:tongue:

spongyfungy
some bright spots, TCQ 3 hits is a good thing. Rios has been solid, with a current 11 game hitting streak

Rockabilly
I'm sure we will be at least double digits out this time next sunday.

As I stated earlier this week. I want at least 14 players GONE from this team

soxinem1
05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Closing is the most over rated position in all of sports and we don't have a guy who can do that.

Yet as we have seen other teams, like the one we will face Tuesday, throw a guy out there with little experience even pitching in the ninth, and not skip a beat.

In the 70's we expected the teams to lose because they just sucked.

In the late 80's we expected the teams to lose because they just sucked, but when leads were there in the late innings, they usually won. There just were not enough of them.

We knew it ahead of time about those teams.

But this squad is frustrating because they can neither string hits together, get key outs when needed, nor play solid defense consistently. This roster on paper is WAY better than those previous teams.

Start playing as a team, or Blow it up, Baby!!!!

DirtySox
****ing Bobby and his Mopad(s)!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/Mopad.jpg

october23sp
The road to 100 will have a lot of games like this.

thomas35forever
I'm sure we will be at least double digits out this time next sunday.

As I stated earlier this week. I want at least 14 players GONE from this team
You can't get rid of 14 players in the same season. It's just not possible.

sox1970
Ozzie saying Bobby won't be getting the ball next time. That's a start.

kevingrt
05-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Ozzie just said we are searching for a closer and bobby is going to get some days off.

LoveYourSuit
JJ Putz is the only guy with true closer experience.

So that's who I would go with.

Promote Santos to RH set up.

soxlady8
wish you would step off from that ledge my friend...

ha ha ha

Bobby just has been really bad to watch overall besides the blown SAVE today ---

DrCrawdad
Gordon Beckham looks lost - bad at bats and I don't need Bill O'Reilly's body language expert to tell me that Beckham looks like he's beaten.

For a guy who rode into the Sox last year beaming with confidence he sure has wilted.

Small redeeming thing today was watching Rios.

october23sp
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Then when whoever gives up a single after striking out the first 2 on 6 pitches Ozzie will bring in Jenks to give up a homer.

Or the next personw will get an easy save, and Ozzie will think it's Jenks time again because he sat out one save situation.

Fire Ozzie.

Lip Man 1
Nelfox said it best. Zero consistency with this club. They just can't put it together for longer than a few games.

And for those who asked earlier in the thread, this is the 6th time this season the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later and lost the game. (And no it wasn't always the fault of the bullpen...)

This team seems to play with no urgency, that's been missing since July 2006. No killer instinct, excuses for poor performance and no accountability.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
pukatronic

LoveYourSuit
05-09-2010, 04:47 PM

And then 1 minute later he says it's possible he will get the ball next time:scratch:

This is one clueless Manager running that ship.

DrCrawdad

Jenks blew a victory today and perhaps cost the Sox, nearly singlehandedly, two games in this series.

october23sp
wish you would step off from that ledge my friend...

ha ha ha

Bobby just has been really bad to watch overall besides the blown SAVE today ---

Cut ties with all the lies that you've been livin' in. (Jenks)

It's Dankerific
The "pen" didn't blow it. Bobby did. The hitters blew it for not freakin' going for the jugular when they had a chance (3rd inning, 7th inning, hell even 8th inning)

Man-o-man, they couldn't possibly rip my heart out in a more painful way

I was going to say that. Thornton did his job, was in line for the win after keeping the game to 1 run behind. Pena also kept it scoreless.

Look at Bobby's other numbers. Its beyond bad.

soxlady8
and good to see TCQ hittin' the ball well today ---

we also have Paulie still in the lead w h.r 's in the majors !!!

a couple of bright spots !! (but not bright enough ) ---

Patrick134
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Nelfox said it best. Zero consistency with this club. They just can't put it together for longer than a few games.

And for those who asked earlier in the thread, this is the 6th time this seasn the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later and lost the game. (And no it wasn't lways the fault of the bullpen...)

This team seems to play with no urgency, that's been missing since July 2006. No killer instinct, excuses for poor performance and no accountability.

Lip

The regression of Floyd has been sad to watch. Also the ineptitude of Alexei and Beckham at the plate.

Nelfox02
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
going into this homestand, a lot of us on this board were posting it as make or break (myself included) I for one feel it was "break"

This team, I really was feeling the win today Even when Floyd put us down 5-3, I was still feeling postiive When Carlos knocked in Rios----I was getting ready for a feel good post game show and to step back and say---okay, a 4-3 homestand, should have been better but this will work"

Now? wow It's just not working.

Rohan
05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
If Frank Thomas is optimistic than so am I :cool:

soxlady8
05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
The White Sox organization / players should be reading this board --
they sooo can get ideas from US FANs !!!!

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
And for those who asked earlier in the thread, this is the 6th time this seasn the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later and lost the game. (And no it wasn't always the fault of the bullpen...)

Good grief. Didn't we think the 18 times it happened in 2007 was bad? We're not even 1/4 of the way into this year, so that means the Sox are on pace to blow 25+ late-inning leads this year.
:(:

soxlady8
and if you don't want to see me again... I will understand --

october23sp
The White Sox organization / players should be reading this board --
they sooo can get ideas from US FANs !!!!

I think they know they suck.

Rockabilly
You can't get rid of 14 players in the same season. It's just not possible.

Well before next season starts I want these following players gone
Garcia
Williams
Kotsay
Teahen
Nix
Pierre
Vizquel
Putz
Castro
Linebrink

trade Quentin, Konerko, Jones, AJ and Jenks within the next 6 weeks

guillensdisciple
Gordon Beckham looks lost - bad at bats and I don't need Bill O'Reilly's body language expert to tell me that Beckham looks like he's beaten.

For a guy who rode into the Sox last year beaming with confidence he sure has wilted.

Small redeeming thing today was watching Rios.

The White Sox might have just ruined the kid.

Slappy
The rollercoaster analogy to Gavin is perfect. I can not think of a pitcher that is as inconsistent from pitch-to-pitch as him. He'll throw a knee buckling curve ball one second and then miss his spot by a foot the next. He's more focused on proper form than throwing the ball.

stevied23
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Jenks has got to go. Cut him loose, trade him for whoever, I don't care. He's done, plain and simple. Beckham needs to get sent down for a few weeks too. I don't think moving him down in the order is going to do any good at this point. Does he have to hit below .150 before they will do this...

thomas35forever
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm only sorry I wasted my afternoon watching this instead of working on my Intercultural Communication project.

wassagstdu
05-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Alexei Ramirez CANNOT continue to play shortstop on this team. He is not and will never be a championship shortstop. By that I mean that no team on which he plays shortstop can win a championship. But then I don't think there is anyone on this team who can actually make a play. That ninth inning was amazing.

The saddest thing about this sad season is the possibility that the Sox may have actually succeeded in destroying Gordon Beckham. If they had planned a campaign to do that I don't think they could have come up with a better one than they have executed.

soxlady8
05-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree w Thomas ... I coulda been shopping w my mother ... but she said "ohh honey finish watching your Sox game and talk w me after " -- now she don't want to go and I am frumpy :(

I soo need shopping therapy right now dang it !!!

october23sp
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Garcia
Williams
Kotsay
Teahen
Nix
Pierre
Vizquel
Putz
Castro

Keep Paulie, Quentin, and Jones and I agree with this post.

We just loaded this team with ****ty players.

thomas35forever
05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Keep Paulie, Quentin, and Jones and I agree with this post.

We just loaded this team with ****ty players.
Correction: we loaded this team with players who were pretty good the rest of their careers and chose this year to really suck.

Hartman
05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
This team is in shambles

Hartman
05-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Correction: we loaded this team with players who were pretty good the rest of their careers and chose this year to really suck.

Funny thing...that happens to just about every good ballplayer that comes to play for the Sox. I think the coincidence possibility is fading fast...

Danielgosox38
05-09-2010, 04:55 PM
This team has so many problems, it's hard to know where to even start. This team is just one big huge problem all around pretty much.

manders_01
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
This one hurt, I don't deny that. But despite 12 men left on base, there was some nice offense today. Wish the outcome would have been different. :(:

SoxGirl4Life
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I agree w Thomas ... I coulda been shopping w my mother ... but she said "ohh honey finish watching your Sox game and talk w me after " -- now she don't want to go and I am frumpy :(

Go shopping by yourself! Walmart, Target, heck, even Walgreens for some fun shampoo or lotion or something. If its retail therapy you need, do not deny thyself!

Nelfox02
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Garcia
Williams
Kotsay
Teahen
Nix
Pierre
Vizquel
Putz
Castro

Interesting concept here----but who (or what?) will the sox bring in to replace these guys? I dont think you get anything solid in a trade back for AJ, Quentin, or Jenks Jones? maybe a B or C level guy? I would say the same thing with Paulie Both Jones and Paulie are off to solid starts but I just dont see any clubs giving us hot shots for those guys

If this team goes on fire sale----attendance will crash none of the guys we have in our minor league system seem to be attacting much positive attention (I dont follow the minors as well as I should, but I ve heard mostly negative things about Flowers, Dayan, and Jordan Danks)

I ve asked this before---what does JR do with this team for next season??? Does he let the payroll fall to 8-85 mil? less? does he dump guys this year and pick up qaulity FA to plug our holes? (would love to dream, but not bloody likely)

I think the issue I have with firesale/rebuild is we have nothing to rebuild with is the proper postion to put this team in a mode where we have awful seasons for 3-4 years? kids can play part II---except in this sequel the "kids" blow?

I am very scared about where all of this is heading

spongyfungy
This game is won if they acted on two things they knew prior to playing this game : Jenks and Beckham suck this season.

SoxGirl4Life
This team has so many problems, it's hard to know where to even start. This team is just one big huge problem all around pretty much.

We are a hemorrhoid on the backside of the MLB? is that what you're saying?

soxlady8
I really don't know WHO needs to go as I think it might be too early or too late to sell off people --
BUT --- if you can take what you have and make them better then DO IT-

When the Rays were making their big run a few years ago I really admired
(and still do ) admire Joe Maddon --- he is really big w giving the
guys MOTIVATION ... the clubhouse has motivational sayings ALL over it --

I just think maybe our club managers are a bit too "hard butted" or
"tough loved" in their approach -- This is not working !! Try something else ... most all of these GUY have the ability to produce !!!

Patrick134
This one hurt, I don't deny that. But despite 2 men left on base, there was some nice offense today. Wish the outcome would have been different. :(:

True, for the suckiness this season has been so far, the blame can easily be spread all around. Some great starts wasted by bad offense, other games good offense ruined with bad pitching efforts.

Rockabilly
05-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I had high hopes for this team because of our rotation and back of our pen.

We will probably get swept by the Twins this week. After that I will start the fire sale.

PhillipsBubba
05-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Good job by Fat Bobby!:angry:

Back up the ****ing truck. This team is pathetic in every respect!

Danielgosox38
We are a hemorrhoid on the backside of the MLB? is that what you're saying?

No. I'm saying the offense, as well as pitching are all giving us huge problems right now. People ridicule people on here, for wanting a firesale, but this team needs some huge changes.

thomas35forever

To be honest, I have been working on it, just not always with the greatest amount of attention. The best part of all is I get to rant about ****ty this team is on WONC.org in exactly one hour.

soxlady8
05-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Soxgirl .. U ARE RIGHT ... of to Kohl's and Target ---

this team is breakin' my heart -- , just breakin' my heart :(

Marqhead
05-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I had high hopes for this team because of our rotation and back of our pen.

We will probably get swept by the Twins this week. After that I will start the fire sale.

You can continue to mention a fire sale in every single one of your posts, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Foulke You
05-09-2010, 05:03 PM
This game was a kick in the nuts. It could have been a *decent* 4W-3L homestand. Instead, we stumble and bumble our way into a huge 2 game set in Minnesota. We seem to rarely get the pitching and the offense on the same page but for sure, despite what happened with Floyd and Jenks today, problem #1 remains the hitting and has lost us way more games than the pitching has. Sox offensive rankings:

Batting Average ranked #28 of 30 (.228 avg)
On Base Percentage #26 of 30- (.311 avg)
Doubles- #28 of 30- (44)
Triples- #27 of 30- (3)
RBI- #24 of 30- (119)
Grounding into Double Plays- #5 (34)
Runners in Scoring Position- .202 avg

Until the above gets corrected, this team will be on the golf course in October and sellers at the July 31st deadline.

DickAllen72
05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Alexei Ramirez CANNOT continue to play shortstop on this team. He is not and will never be a championship shortstop. By that I mean that no team on which he plays shortstop can win a championship. But then I don't think there is anyone on this team who can actually make a play. That ninth inning was amazing.

And yet Ozzie thinks he is going to be the best defensive SS in the American League. Good example of Ozzie's ability at evaluating talent, even at the position he used to play.

The saddest thing about this sad season is the possibility that the Sox may have actually succeeded in destroying Gordon Beckham. If they had planned a campaign to do that I don't think they could have come up with a better one than they have executed.

Beckham is struggling like many young players in their second season in the major leagues. He may have been rushed but only time will tell if he has been "ruined" or not. The kid could probably use a stint in AAA but I doubt the Sox will do it.

It's good to look at Beckham this year when people start clamoring for Tyler Flowers to take over for AJ or when others start talking about bringing up Jordan Danks.

Heck, I'd rather use somebody like Flowers while his trade value is high to get a decent (not old, washed up) major leaguer to take the place of a Pierre or a Teahen, or even a Jenks.

Rockabilly
You can continue to mention a fire sale in every single one of your posts, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Well if we don't start a fire sale sometime in the next few weeks, we are in deep **** for next season with this lousy ass ball club.

I rather lose with young prospects than the team we have this year.

thomas35forever
This game was a kick in the nuts. It could have been a *decent* 4W-3L homestand. Instead, we stumble and bumble our way into a huge 2 game set in Minnesota. We seem to rarely get the pitching and the offense on the same page but for sure, despite what happened with Floyd and Jenks today, problem #1 remains the hitting and has lost us way more games than the pitching has. Sox offensive rankings:

Batting Average ranked #28 of 30 (.228 avg)
On Base Percentage #26 of 30- (.311 avg)
Doubles- #28 of 30- (44)
Triples- #27 of 30- (3)
RBI- #24 of 30- (119)
Grounding into Double Plays- #5 (34)
Runners in Scoring Position- .202 avg

Until the above gets corrected, this team will be on the golf course in October and sellers at the July 31st deadline.
I'm not too concerned about triples since they're not as common as most other hits. Everything else though I agree with.

Boondock Saint
05-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Well if we don't start a fire sale sometime in the next few weeks, we are in deep **** for next season with this lousy ass ball club.

I rather lose with young prospects than the team we have this year.

Christ almighty, would you just go back and read your other fire sale thread to see why you don't do this? You seem to have forgotten already.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Nelfox:

The off season will be interesting again. With the attendence issues around MLB this year, Sports Illustrated was speculating this week that there are going to be a lot of quality free agents looking for work.

This would be the 3rd straight off season such a buyer's market would be occuring. We'll see if the Sox decide to really participate for once in this unusual situation.

SoxGirl4Life
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
No. I'm saying the offense, as well as pitching are all giving us huge problems right now. People ridicule people on here, for wanting a firesale, but this team needs some huge changes.

Sorry to not be clear.. that's what *I* was saying... :angry:

Rockabilly
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Christ almighty, would you just go back and read your other fire sale thread to see why you don't do this? You seem to have forgotten already.

All i've seen this week since I made that statement about the fire sale. Is this team continues to lose and its not going to get any better with us playing Minn, Det, Fla, Angels, Texas and T Bay in the next few weeks.

By the time we play TB you wil lbe on board with a fire sale

Danielgosox38
05-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Sorry to not be clear.. that's what *I* was saying... :angry:

Lol. My bad. :tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
05-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Soxgirl .. U ARE RIGHT ... of to Kohl's and Target ---

this team is breakin' my heart -- , just breakin' my heart :(

I was at both this weekend. Very disappointed with their selection of swimsuits, though. But i hope you find SOMETHING to take your mind off this loss..

captain54
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Jenks blew two games this weekend, Friday and Sunday....though Friday wasn't technically a blown save.

I never want to see Bobby Jenks throw another pitch in a White Sox uniform...ever..

Frankfan4life
05-09-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm so depressed I can't think of anything bad to say. Everyone's said it all.

Nelfox02
Nelfox:

The off season will be interesting again. With the attendence issues around MLB this year, Sports Illustrated was speculating this week that there are going to be a lot of quality free agents looking for work.

This would be the 3rd straight off season such a buyer's market would be occuring. We'll see if the Sox decide to really participate for once in this unusual situation.

Well----lets try to have a rational discussion here at this point, I am just tired of going over and over how much this team sucks everyone here knows it sucks, it is what it is Many posters have broken down time and again what is wrong with this team over the last month, again that is what is

why not focus some energy on what is going to happen personnel wise this year and (more importanly IMO) for 2011

A cast off will happen this year---I dont think it will be as massive as what Rockabilly is looking for----but we will be shedding parts

no matter what you have big contracts in AJ and Konerko coming off the books but with the team falling SO FAR out of contention THIS EARLY in the season, you have to think attendance and sponsorship revenue with suffer big time

basing on what JR has said publicly, and his history, it is reasonable to expect a payroll drop I think this year we are what, at 105 million or so? I think that number will be closer to 80-85 next year, and that is pure speculation on my part but consider that Rios/ Mark B/ and Peavy will eat up a very large portion of that pay roll, plus the money you already have committed to guys like Pierre, LineStink, and Teahen, and Floyd it just does not leave you much money to work with for FA Danks (assuming he is not moved) will be geting paid in Arbitration

I just dont see the Sox going hard in the "quality" FA market They are going to try to plug holes with their less than stellar AAA talent what this means is that 2011 team wont have much buzz, ticket sales are again sluggish at best, and we are in a big time downward cycle

yes it sucks to be sitting here dumping on 2011 season when 2010 is not even 2 months old.......but I just see a lot of dark clouds on this horizon

I sure hope that I am wrong on this

Boondock Saint
All i've seen this week since I made that statement about the fire sale. Is this team continues to lose and its not going to get any better with us playing Minn, Det, Fla, Angels, Texas and T Bay in the next few weeks.

Bull****.

Nelfox02
05-09-2010, 05:24 PM

When you are angry at the situation, a firesale sounds great but step back and think about this---what will a firesale accomplish at this point?

will we get much of anything quality back for the pieces we can move? I dont think so

It will alienate a lot of people And I really dont think that JR is going to use the money he "saves" in this firesale to invest in FA talent next year

I dont think complete firesale is the way to go

NLaloosh
05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I went to today's game. There was never any point in the game that I thought the Sox would win.

They always seem like they are looking for some way to wet the bed. I don't even blame the loss on Jenks because any other team would've scored 12 runs against that pitching and defense.

Toronto was horrible and the Sox blew so many opportunities to blow them away. This is the lamest offense that I can remember.

Gordon Beckham has looked lost for weeks but he's still batting second ? That's killing this team as much as anything.

Oh, and Andruw Jones would've caught that ball in right field in the second inning. And, he would've thrown out the secong runner from left field the next inning. It's a good thing that our second best outfielder is busy keeping the bench from jumping up.

I hate to say it but Mother's Day is when the season ended for these guys. Now, they go on the road ? They can't play .500 ball at home! They'll be 15 games behind Minnesota by June 1st. Then, what?

Rockabilly
05-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Bull****.

If we go into next season with pretty much the same club. we have as of today minus Konerko, AJ, Putz and Jones because they're all free agents and probably won't be back..

Than the Twins will probably win the central next season as well.

I rather make trades and see what we have going into next season with young prospects and sign a few key players this off season.

Boondock Saint
When you are angry at the situation, a firesale sounds great but step back and think about this---what will a firesale accomplish at this point?

will we get much of anything quality back for the pieces we can move? I dont think so

It will alienate a lot of people And I really dont think that JR is going to use the money he "saves" in this firesale to invest in FA talent next year

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119880

We've been through this with Rockabilly before. Less than a week ago. Don't bother.

jabrch
I went to today's game. There was never any point in the game that I thought the Sox would win.

Great stuff!

TheCommander
05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Maybe Bobby needs to go back to drinking. Or maybe I should. :gulp::gulp::gulp:

VMSNS
I was watching this one on Gameday, and was really excited to see this team bite, claw, and scratch it's way to a 2-run lead going into the ninth. Rios had a ridiculous game. Quentin had a nice game, as well.

But, as soon as I saw that Bobby gave up a hit during the first at-bat, I knew it was over. Bobby has been my favorite White Sox player since I started seriously watching the team in 2007...but I can confidently say that he can no longer close. He needs to be removed as closer, and be shopped at the deadline or in the off-season. It pains me to say it, but I think the Bobby Jenks Era is over. The blame for this game should be placed solely on Jenks, and him alone. Sure we stranded 12 runners, but a 2 run lead should be enough going into the ninth, especially when you an $8 million closer.

Oh, and if I see Beckham in the 2-hole one more time, I think I'm going to vomit. There's just too much riding on this kid, and to ruin him under the wing of Ozzie and his ridiculous lineups would just be unacceptable. Ozzie, get a clue: It's time to shut your ****ing mouth and start doing what you say you're going to do. Bat him at the bottom of the lineup, or put him in Charlotte for a few weeks.

This was a gut-wrenching loss. I'm not sure if I can take this ****ty baseball all summer long.

Rockabilly

I don't know Fla has had a few fire sales and it has help that franchise.

ViPeRx007
Just awful. That's all I've got.

Boondock Saint
05-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't know Fla has had a few fire sales and it has help that franchise.

Not even close to the same situation.

thomas35forever
05-09-2010, 05:27 PM
If we go into next season with pretty much the same club. we have as of today minus Konerko, AJ, Putz and Jones because they're all free agents and probably won't be back..

Than the Twins will probably win the central next season as well.

I rather make trades and see what we have going into next season with young prospects and sign a few key players this off season.
Those are all good reasons to have a fire sale, but you clearly have learned nothing from the arguments against it. For every up, there's a down. What if nothing good comes from out of the sale? What then? We'll be set back for years.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-09-2010, 05:29 PM
When it looked like the Sox would win I was going to post that Rios is seeing the ball well . . . I don't suppose anyone wants to hear it now. :whiner:

mcsoxfan
05-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Interesting concept here----but who (or what?) will the sox bring in to replace these guys? I dont think you get anything solid in a trade back for AJ, Quentin, or Jenks Jones? maybe a B or C level guy? I would say the same thing with Paulie Both Jones and Paulie are off to solid starts but I just dont see any clubs giving us hot shots for those guys

If this team goes on fire sale----attendance will crash none of the guys we have in our minor league system seem to be attacting much positive attention (I dont follow the minors as well as I should, but I ve heard mostly negative things about Flowers, Dayan, and Jordan Danks)

I ve asked this before---what does JR do with this team for next season??? Does he let the payroll fall to 8-85 mil? less? does he dump guys this year and pick up qaulity FA to plug our holes? (would love to dream, but not bloody likely)

I think the issue I have with firesale/rebuild is we have nothing to rebuild with is the proper postion to put this team in a mode where we have awful seasons for 3-4 years? kids can play part II---except in this sequel the "kids" blow?

I am very scared about where all of this is heading

Jerry Reinsdorf is the worst owner in sports. He's own the Sox and Bulls for a collective 55 years. Take Mike Jordan away and he's 1 for 55 in championships. Reinsdorf knew this season could turn ugly. No one on this board in their right mind would have entered a season with this mediocrity on their team and expect to compete. He relishes the fact he can now justify cutting payroll now. In the summer, he'll cry that no free agent wanted to sign with the Bulls. It wasn't his fault.

If you were a free agent, would you be bothered with Reinsdorf?

It time for the owner to be held accountable. I've said several times now. Put the teams up for sale and find something else to do.

Rockabilly
05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I rather see young prospects fail than continue to watch Pierre, Nix, Jenks, Linebrink, and etc

Rockabilly
05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf is the worst owner in sports. He's own the Sox and Bulls for a collective 55 years. Take Mike Jordan away and he's 1 for 55 in championships. Reinsdorf knew this season could turn ugly. No one on this board in their right mind would have entered a season with this mediocrity on their team and expect to compete. He relishes the fact he can now justify cutting payroll now. In the summer, he'll cry that no free agent wanted to sign with the Bulls. It wasn't his fault.

It time for the owner to held accountable. I've said several times now. Put the teams up for sale and find something else to do.

JR is a great owner.. this lousy ass ball club has nothing to do with JR

thomas35forever
05-09-2010, 05:32 PM

It time for the owner to held accountable. I've said several times now. Put the teams up for sale and find something else to do.
Are you forgetting about Al Davis?

Boondock Saint
05-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf is the worst owner in sports. He's own the Sox and Bulls for a collective 55 years. Take Mike Jordan away and he's 1 for 55 in championships. Reinsdorf knew this season could turn ugly. No one on this board in their right mind would have entered a season which this mediocrity on their team and expect to compete. He relishes the fact he can now justify cutting payroll now. In the summer, he'll cry that no free agent wanted to sign with the Bulls. It wasn't his fault.

Unless your last name is Steinbrenner, your championship record probably looks similar to that. You know, minus the six championships you wrote off for no good reason.

jabrch
05-09-2010, 05:36 PM

It time for the owner to be held accountable. I've said several times now. Put the teams up for sale and find something else to do.

Brilliant!

NLaloosh
05-09-2010, 05:39 PM
One thing I forgot to mention about today's game :

2 for 17 with runners in scoring position. No, that's not a typo!

****, we could do that!

PhillipsBubba
05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Nelfox:

Lip,

Isn't a shame that we are already discussing the possibilities for this coming off season...OMG, it's May-****ing-9th. Yes it's early but anyone can see that this team lacks the ability to put a streak together which it definitely will need to do to threaten the Twins.

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!!!!!

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/baloncici/baloncici0907/baloncici090700006/5130470.jpg

Brian26
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok, I'm watching this on DVR and I'm in the 3rd inning right now. Gavin's curveball looks sharp, and the Sox are leading 3-1.

Do I even bother watching the rest of the game?

It's Dankerific
Those are all good reasons to have a fire sale, but you clearly have learned nothing from the arguments against it. For every up, there's a down. What if nothing good comes from out of the sale? What then? We'll be set back for years.

We'll be set back for years if we sit and do nothing, as well. Trading for prospects at least gives us a CHANCE.

Boondock Saint
Ok, I'm watching this on DVR and I'm in the 3rd inning right now. Gavin's curveball looks sharp, and the Sox are leading 3-1.

Do I even bother watching the rest of the game?

Turn it off after the 8th. Seriously.

Nelfox02
05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Sox, as an organization are just in the proverbial rut right now

Moves are just not working out you go out and get Peavy and Rios to put you over the top last year, and Peavy cant get back from injury soon enough and Rios is AWFUL (this year he is boucning back thank god)

you get a guy with the hype of Beckham, watch him have a solid rookie effort, market the heck out of him, and now he is crashing and burning

cant get consistency from the roster to save our lives

JR cant be blamed for the above but the problem is as a result of all this interest in this team wanes, attendance suffers badly----we find ourselves in a downward trend

here is where JR can step up===does he spend the $$$ to make the splash move this team needs? OR does he have a firesale, call up our weak prospects, and let this club really go in the dumper

It's Dankerific
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
here is where JR can step up===does he spend the $$$ to make the splash move this team needs? OR does he have a firesale, call up our weak prospects, and let this club really go in the dumper

Theres no one out there that can help this team, so i dont know how you can ask JR to "step up".

KW could get AROD and this team would still be a bunch of games behind a pretty good team.

hi im skot
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Go Blackhawks!

We all need a break from this disgusting beisbol.

Gotta love the Blackhawks talk in a freakin' postgame thread.

Brian26
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Turn it off after the 8th. Seriously.

I'm guessing I'm going to see again why "Bobby's a better pitcher now because he doesn't have to rely on a high 90s fastball anymore...he's learned how to pitch."

A. Cavatica
05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Garcia
Williams
Kotsay
Teahen
Nix
Pierre
Vizquel
Putz
Castro
Linebrink

Why Jones? He's gone next year anyway, they've got him cheap this year and he hasn't yet been ruined by Walker.

And I think it's too soon to give up on Putz and Quentin, too. Both have more value than they're showing.

Nelfox02
05-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Theres no one out there that can help this team, so i dont know how you can ask JR to "step up".

KW could get AROD and this team would still be a bunch of games behind a pretty good team.

for this season? no, you are right, the 2010 ship has sailed

we need a splash move this coming off season we need a star player (or players) brought in here to get some buzz going and some butts back in seats

what kills me is that I dont think it will happen, we are looking at next year being basically the same team as this year---except Jones, Konerko, AJ, Jenks, and Putz are all likely gone replaced with our AAA talent, the week minor league talent that might be acquired in trades this year, and or washed up "reclamation specials" acquried on the FA market that we are used to seeing

can you imagine the draw that team will have for next year?

Boondock Saint
05-09-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm guessing I'm going to see again why "Bobby's a better pitcher now because he doesn't have to rely on a high 90s fastball anymore...he's learned how to pitch."

The irony in this post is that his velocity is better than it's been in three or so years.

Rockabilly
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Why Jones? He's gone next year anyway, they've got him cheap this year and he hasn't yet been ruined by Walker.

And I think it's too soon to give up on Putz and Quentin, too. Both have more value than they're showing.

I like to trade Jones because he's a free agent this off season. Maybe the Sox can get a few mid level prospects for him that might help this team for the next 6 years or so.

If Jones has a great season this year. I don't see him signing an extension because of Boras

TheCommander
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Or, "Bobby is in the best shape of his career."

slavko
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
The problem is putting him in a game with a 2 run lead. Everybody knows you don't put your closer in a game with a 2 run lead, they don't get their mind in the game and it always costs you.

Doesn't make any sense, but it makes as much sense as the people who posted after Friday's crapping that the top of the ninth in a tie ball game wasn't enough to hold his interest.

Face it. He isn't that good any more and he's still probably our best closer.

hi im skot
05-09-2010, 07:00 PM
The problem is putting him in a game with a 2 run lead. Everybody knows you don't put your closer in a game with a 2 run lead, they don't get their mind in the game and it always costs you.

Doesn't make any sense, but it makes as much sense as the people who posted after Friday's crapping that the top of the ninth in a tie ball game wasn't enough to hold his interest.

Face it. He isn't that good any more and he's still probably our best closer.

Huh?

Marqhead
05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Huh?

Teal.

Everyone was bitching about putting Jenks in a tie game the other day. Slavko is poking fun at it.

russ99
05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
The thing that really sucks, is that had Jenks not blown this one, we'd all be talking about what a good game it was, with Rios' big day, TCQ turning the corner a bit and and overall better hitting.

Hope the guys dig deep and go into the Minnesota series with some urgency. We need to win both for any hope at this point.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Some may remember that I posted right before opening day an e-mail I got from one of the beat writers. In it he said this was the best Sox clubhouse he saw in years and that he thought players would be held accountable this year for what happens on the field.

I e-mailed him about that comment today...not to rip on him but to see what he thought, if things might change (i.e. accountability) after what happened this afternoon.

He e-mailed me back that he's "never been as wrong about a team as this one", and that the Sox are finished. They have no life on the field or in the clubhouse.

He seems to be right, they just don't look like they are having fun, some maybe just don't care anymore.

It looks like a bad mix again and I can easily see the Sox blowing it up.

I mean seriously, how many less fans are they going to draw if in over their head kids are playing (and losing) as opposed to vets with a bad attitude or just going through the motions (and losing.)

Lip

russ99
05-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Some may remember that I posted right before opening day an e-mail I got from one of the beat writers. In it he said this was the best Sox clubhouse he saw in years and that he thought players would be held accountable this year for what happens on the field.

I e-mailed him about that comment today...not to rip on him but to see what he thought, if things might change (i.e. accountability) after what happened this afternoon.

He e-mailed me back that he's "never been as wrong about a team as this one", and that the Sox are finished. They have no life on the field or in the clubhouse.

He seems to be right, they just don't look like they are having fun, some maybe just don't care anymore.

I mean seriously, how many less fans are they going to draw if in over their head kids are playing (and losing) as opposed to vets with a bad attitude or just going through the motions (and losing.)

Lip

I see what you're saying, but winning would cure a lot of that.

Every guy on this team with the exception of Rios and Jones are hitting far below their career averages. It's difficult to stay loose and have fun when you have a battle on your hands to produce every day. Pitching-wise there seems to be the same urgency, but not as bad as on the hitters.

I wish these guys would just forget about all the numbers and just let it go, but it seems nowadays big leaguers don't think that way.

WhiteSox1989
05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
The thing that really sucks, is that had Jenks not blown this one, we'd all be talking about what a good game it was, with Rios' big day, TCQ turning the corner a bit and and overall better hitting.

Hope the guys dig deep and go into the Minnesota series with some urgency. We need to win both for any hope at this point.
Well, those are positives. Quentin seems to be coming around, and Rios is a stud, in more ways than one.

Now about Beckham..

GoGoCrede
05-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Left around the 6th to go see a movie...I was flabbergasted at the ending to this game.

Ugh. Mothers deserved better.

Gavin needs to pull it together.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Russ:

I have no way of knowing but to me it seems that the Sox react badly under pressure and have been since the back end of 2006.

I don't know if other teams have the same issues or not.

The Sox have had numerous players since the start of the 2007 season but every year it seems to be the same thing (i.e. pressure) maybe it is Ozzie and the coaching staff?

If the Sox think they have it bad in Chicago and I don't know if the fans have started booing the hell out of them yet, they should see what it's like in New York or Philadelphia.

Lip

GoGoCrede
05-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh, well. We're going to tear it up in Minnesota, right?

soxlady8
05-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Danks is gonna need run support on Wednesday afternoon ---
He I feel is the better shot to win a game ...
If we take one ... that will be sufficient !!

Brian26
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Russ:

I have no way of knowing but to me it seems that the Sox react badly under pressure and have been since the back end of 2006.

The Sox have had numerous players since the start of the 2007 season but every year it seems to be the same thing (i.e. pressure) maybe it is Ozzie and the coaching staff?

They really melted at the end of the 2008 by winning those three games in a row including a sudden-death one-game playoff.

JB98
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Russ:

If the Sox think they have it bad in Chicago and I don't know if the fans have started booing the hell out of them yet, they should see what it's like in New York or Philadelphia.

Lip

FWIW, I've been to six games this season, and I heard boos for the first time today when Jenks was removed in the ninth - and again when the game ended.

Of course, the Sox have somehow managed to win 4 of the 6 I have attended, which you wouldn't expect during a 13-19 start to the campaign.

Brian26
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Take Mike Jordan away and he's 1 for 55 in championships.

Take away Hue Hollins and Tito Landrum, and he's 9 for 55.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Brian:

They had the worst season in 20 years in 2007.
They had a losing season in 2009
They are among the worst teams in MLB this season

They did very well in 2008.

A 25% success rate gets you fired in most jobs in the world today. And by "success" I always go back to my bottom line definition on how I judge a season...not did you win the World Series...not did you get to the World Series...not did you make the playoffs but simply, did you win more games than you lose.

Every year since 2007 the Sox have gotten off to slow starts, had hitting issues for the most part (remember Ozzie's tirade at Kenny after the Tampa series in 2008...) and yet I read the same thing every year about guys like Konerko talking about being "under pressure..."

There was a story this year in the newspapers about them talking about it AFTER THE FIRST CLEVELAND SERIES. Pressure ? After three games???

I contend there's something going on or not going on in the clubhouse with the manager / hitting coach or with the "team leaders" that is exacerbating the situation.

Lip

Hegewisch
05-09-2010, 09:52 PM

AGREED !!!!!!!!!! :mad:

soltrain21
05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
This team ****ing blows.

cws05champ
05-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Changes I would make:

> Thorton to Closer, Bobby to middle relief until he gets his **** together
> Send down/release/trade Randy Williams
> Call up Carlos Torres so we actually have a long man in the pen
> Move Santos up in the BP pecking order
> (This kills me to say it) Send Beckham to AAA. He is killing us right now...he needs something to wake him up if even for a week down there. Lillibridge or Retherford up to play 2B.
> Fire Greg Walker

If all that doesn't start to light a fire under some of these guys, then Ozzie needs to go and replace with Cora by the ASB.

shingo10
05-09-2010, 10:26 PM
for this season? no, you are right, the 2010 ship has sailed

we need a splash move this coming off season we need a star player (or players) brought in here to get some buzz going and some butts back in seats

what kills me is that I dont think it will happen, we are looking at next year being basically the same team as this year---except Jones, Konerko, AJ, Jenks, and Putz are all likely gone replaced with our AAA talent, the week minor league talent that might be acquired in trades this year, and or washed up "reclamation specials" acquried on the FA market that we are used to seeing

can you imagine the draw that team will have for next year?

Making a "splash move" just for the sake of appeasing fans is not a smart thing to do. Who cares if everyone hates the team all offseason and moans about how bad they are gonna be if they actually show up to play?

It would be a lot better than having people talk about one of the "best" rotations in baseball and one of the "best" bullpens in baseball and "ozzieball" only to realize that it's all for nothing because the majority of the team is not playing anywhere close to good.

This is where the organization has got to make moves in the best interest of the team and forget about what the fans are gonna think about it. Winning is the cure to everything.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2010, 10:28 PM
CWS05:

Many feel Cora is an Ozzie clone although I don't know that for a fact.

Lip

Boondock Saint
05-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Changes I would make:

> (This kills me to say it) Send Beckham to AAA. He is killing us right now...he needs something to wake him up if even for a week down there. Lillibridge or Retherford up to play 2B.
> Fire Greg Walker

If all that doesn't start to light a fire under some of these guys, then Ozzie needs to go and replace with Cora by the ASB.

I agree with the points in bold. This team needs a long-reliever so that the late inning guys' arms aren't wasted in garbage time situations.

As I've said a couple times before, I think Putz should be the next closer for now.

Randy Williams sucks. Bad. But he's the only other lefty we have in the 'pen, and shouldn't be removed until he's replaced.

Beckham is struggling in a bad way, but you don't want to risk destroying his confidence by sending him back down after a stellar rookie year. I think it's best to let him work his way through things up here.

WhiteSox1989
05-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Changes I would make:

> Fire Greg Walker

Agree with all of this, except with sending Beckham to triple A and getting rid of Ozzie.

Beckham is sucking it up, but I don't think send him back to the minors is the solution.

hi im skot
05-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Beckham is struggling in a bad way, but you don't want to risk destroying his confidence by sending him back down after a stellar rookie year. I think it's best to let him work his way through things up here.

I don't advocate sending Beckham down, but wasn't one of his biggest strengths supposedly his mental toughness?

I don't think he needs to be sent down, but if he was I wouldn't think it would completely wreck him.

:shrug:

Boondock Saint
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't advocate sending Beckham down, but wasn't one of his biggest strengths supposedly his mental toughness?

I don't think he needs to be sent down, but if he was I wouldn't think it would completely wreck him.

:shrug:

I hope not. He's far too important to the future of this team.

Slappy
05-09-2010, 10:39 PM

I don't understand the logic, here. Wouldn't it be more damaging to a veteran players confidence to be sent down than a guy coming off a shortened rookie season?

Send him down or move him down in the order. It's sickening to watch him still bat 2nd. Like Thomas said after the game, Alex can bat anywhere in the lineup and succeed.

I can't believe we're still talking about this...

cws05champ
05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
CWS05:

Many feel Cora is an Ozzie clone although I don't know that for a fact.

Lip

Maybe, but at least it would be a different voice and shake things up. If he doesn't prove his worth he can be gone at the end of the year. Look at the Rockies last year, they started 18-28 fired Clint hurdle and Jim Tracey took over. After he took over they went 74-42. Same team, same players.

I'm not saying the Sox would have the same success, I don't believe they would but something has to give soon.

cws05champ
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I hope not. He's far too important to the future of this team.

I don't know why everyone thinks it would completely wreck Beckham to be sent down for a couple weeks. Let him get his confidence up and come back. Other teams have done this with big prospects because the management had the balls to do it.

slavko
05-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I agree with the points in bold. This team needs a long-reliever so that the late inning guys' arms aren't wasted in garbage time situations.

As I've said a couple times before, I think Putz should be the next closer for now.

Randy Williams sucks. Bad. But he's the only other lefty we have in the 'pen, and shouldn't be removed until he's replaced.

Once upon a long time ago, we sent down Jack MacDowell and he came back better than ever. Betcha it happens, this year, sooner or later. Beckham needs to smell some success, get his confidence back.

slavko
05-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Teal.

Everyone was bitching about putting Jenks in a tie game the other day. Slavko is poking fun at it.

How much do I owe you?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Didn't TB send down Longoria for a time, and he dominated pretty much from the second he came back?

If Beckham gets emotionally and mentally wrecked from a brief stint in AAA, then he's definitely not the player we thought he was. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. I'd send up Retherford and see what we got with him...maybe we can spin him off for a couple of decent/good prospects if he does well.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

VMSNS
05-09-2010, 11:12 PM
If Beckham is sent to Charlotte, who becomes our starting 2B? Vizquel? Nix? Teahen? Ramierez?

hi im skot
05-09-2010, 11:15 PM
If Beckham is sent to Charlotte, who becomes our starting 2B? Vizquel? Nix? Teahen? Ramierez?

In said situation, I'd vote Nix. I'd like to see him get a couple weeks of regular at bats to see what he can do.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM

Ramirez wouldn't leave SS, and Teahen wouldn't leave 3B. It'd be Nix by default, but I'd like to see Retherford come up and get a shot.

twinsuck
05-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Today's game was horrible. I wish I could stop watching this damn team, but I love them so much. One day I'm going to have a heart attack or a stomach ulcer and it's going to be because of this freaking team!!! :angry:

JB98
05-09-2010, 11:57 PM
In said situation, I'd vote Nix. I'd like to see him get a couple weeks of regular at bats to see what he can do.

I'd vote Nix, but I believe Ozzie would play Vizquel.

pudge
05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Great stuff!

Do you have any other past time? I can recognize how silly the statement was, but guess what? He was right. Guess the joke's on you.

mcsoxfan
05-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Take away Hue Hollins and Tito Landrum, and he's 9 for 55.

Hue Hollins cost the Bulls an opportunity to make the Finals
Tito Landrum cost the Sox an opportunity to make it to the Series

There is no guarantee either team would have won a championship.
Good try though.
The fact remains he's 1 for 55 without Jordan.
So sorry.

jabrch
05-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Do you have any other past time? I can recognize how silly the statement was, but guess what? He was right. Guess the joke's on you.

Right? Joke? What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by NLaloosh http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2492093#post2492093)
That's an opinion - it isn't right or wrong. I don't buy it that anyone could possibly truly think that we would blow a 2 run lead in the 9th. His opinion - and his right to say it...have it... I just don't have to believe it either.

What "joke" is on me? I don't get that.

And what does this have to do with my other past times? Pudge - you have me confused.

voodoochile
05-10-2010, 02:06 AM
Hue Hollins cost the Bulls an opportunity to make the Finals
Tito Landrum cost the Sox an opportunity to make it to the Series

There is no guarantee either team would have won a championship.
Good try though.
The fact remains he's 1 for 55 without Jordan.
So sorry.

How many championships did the Celtics win before they landed Russel?

How many championships to the 90's Lakers win without Magic?

The Celtics without Bird?

You can play this game forever. You take great players away from teams and they don't win championships. JR brought in the guys who built a team good enough to compliment Jordan including a second HOF player in Pippen and the greatest coach in the history of the NBA. Then he continued to pay MJ his basketball salary when he "retired" the first time thus keeping him under contract and finally when the Knicks made a bold move and tried to steal MJ when that contract was up, Reinsdorf ponied up a matching or better contract to keep him for the final 3 year run.

Your argument is a load of crap. Oh and he also won the only baseball championship in the city in 88 years. That has to count for something.

You want me to start naming the owners who suck WAY more than JR, no problem. I'll be glad to do it. There's probably 5 or 6 I can name off the top of my head in MLB alone or maybe you'd prefer to have the owner of the Royals, Pirates, Orioles, Rangers or Nationals?

Then there's the owners in the NFL who really don't give a crap so long as they get their fat profits every year.

Oh I forgot all those championships the other owners in Chicago brought home since JR bought the two teams... no... wait...

Hawks fans got lucky Daddy Wirtz died and the sons saw the opportunity in front of them. JR may not be perfect, but he's hardly at the bottom of the barrel...

PushinWeight
05-10-2010, 02:57 AM
After reading through almost 12 whole pages of whiny, typical doom and gloom banter of which I have become accustomed to hearing as a Sox fan, I am glad to say that I have not pulled the plug on this season yet. Sure we all expected better, but the season is early (not that anyone wants to hear that) and the Twins really are not the behemoth everyone is making them out to be; 8 game lead or not (all those division titles, but what do they have to show for it? Maybe everyone has been reading too much Phil Rogers and actually believes they are unstoppable).

I am still optimistic. Maybe that is because I have had the luxury of not watching or listening to very many games this season. Take a deep breath and calm down everyone, and allow Ozzie and Kenny at least a chance to salvage this season or go down with the ship with some dignity. Firing either of them now won't do any good for this season.

MetroPD
05-10-2010, 04:26 AM
20 left on base...... 20. Second lowest batting average in the entire league....and we continue to stick with the same stratigests at the helm.

October26
05-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I was having a really nice Mother's Day yesterday with my family, including my mom and dad, my children, my husband and the rest of my family.

Then I came home and watched the 9th inning of yesterday's Sox game. Bobby Jenks broke my heart when he gave up that 3 run homer to Lewis. I love the White Sox and I watch or listen to every game - guess I'm a masochist, too. Right now I'm depressed, angry, sad, pissed, discouraged and bummed that it's Monday. :mad::angry::(::whiner: DOUBLE UGH!

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-10-2010, 07:33 AM

The same way Pierre got moved down in the order? How well did that work out?

Jenks needs to either be moved to setup, or send him down for a while.

And I'll keep watching the White Sox. Call me a glutton for punishment but it's my baseball team. You live, you die with your team. Right now, we're in ICU.

NLaloosh
05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
The Sox don't have many options that I can see:

1. Immediately, Beckham should get a coouple of games off while Nix gets more playing time. When Gordon comes back take some pressure off him and bat him 6th or 7th - can't understand why Ozzie didn't do that 10 days ago. The Sox woould have had more wins and maybe Gordon woould be working himself out of it by now.

Jones needs to play more in RF. Let Quentin and Pierre split LF/DH. They both stink in the field.

Bat Rios 1st or 2nd. There's no question that he should get more trips to the plate than anyone.

The starting pitching is fine as is and is coming around.

The bullpen should be closer by committee. Use Thornton, Putz, Santos and Jenks. They are all good. Kenny needs to get a better lefty right now to replace Williams - one that atleast throws strikes.

This is all they can do right now. Panicing will not help. The team should start to pull it together with a few moves like this to stay afloat until deals can start to be made 6 weeks from now.

2. Kenny can decide what direction to go in by mid-June. Unfortunately, blowing up the team doesn't help that much. Unless, they can get a big return for Konerko they might as well keep him and bring him back for one more year. Who else are they gonna deal ?

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 10:17 AM
After reading through almost 12 whole pages of whiny, typical doom and gloom banter of which I have become accustomed to hearing as a Sox fan, I am glad to say that I have not pulled the plug on this season yet. Sure we all expected better, but the season is early (not that anyone wants to hear that) and the Twins really are not the behemoth everyone is making them out to be; 8 game lead or not (all those division titles, but what do they have to show for it? Maybe everyone has been reading too much Phil Rogers and actually believes they are unstoppable).

I am still optimistic. Maybe that is because I have had the luxury of not watching or listening to very many games this season. Take a deep breath and calm down everyone, and allow Ozzie and Kenny at least a chance to salvage this season or go down with the ship with some dignity. Firing either of them now won't do any good for this season.

LOL !

Let me take advice from someone who hasn't followed many games this year.:rolleyes:

FYI man, THEY SUCK!

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 10:20 AM
The same way Pierre got moved down in the order? How well did that work out?

Jenks needs to either be moved to setup, or send him down for a while.

And I'll keep watching the White Sox. Call me a glutton for punishment but it's my baseball team. You live, you die with your team. Right now, we're in ICU.

Not two minutes after blabbing off that Bobby would not be getting the ball the next time, he states that maybe Bobby will get the ball. He doesn't know.

I think Ozzie is fried.

djcollie03
05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I hope better things are in store for the White Sox in the next few months. We usually tear through the interleague schedule so I'll cross my fingers that we'll continue that trend.

I'm not sure Ozzie knows what to do to get the ship righted at this point. I hate when I get angry about losses but, this season has put me in a bad mood. The lack of consistency, the mental errors and a complete inability to take advantage of offensive opportunities. I can only imagine how angry Ozzie must be when I'm fuming at home. Add on top of it that this is the team he wanted... oof. I'll remain hopeful that we can make a run but, I'm watching with my hands over my eyes because the season to date has been a train wreck.

WhiteSoxFTW
05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I was at the game on Sunday, and my buddy goes, "Hey we get to see Jenks today!" I turned to him and said that we don't not want to see Bobby. I knew he would give up at least one run. Ozzie should have pulled him after the first two hits.

I don't give a **** about his confidence. You could tell right away that he was throwing meatballs out there.

doublem23
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Guys, it's just time to sit back and realize this team stinks. There's nothing magical about it. You're not "less of a fan." Trust me, though, it's a lot easier to watch them if you see them for what they're worth. Crap.

TDog
05-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Did anyone notice that the White Sox as a team Sunday hit .297 and had on-base percentage of .435?

doublem23
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Did anyone notice that the White Sox as a team Sunday hit .297 and had on-base percentage of .435?

And the Sox batted .375 with an OBP of .438 on April 14 and proceeded to lose 6 of their next 7 games. :dunno:

pudge
05-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Right? Joke? What are you talking about?

That's an opinion - it isn't right or wrong. I don't buy it that anyone could possibly truly think that we would blow a 2 run lead in the 9th. His opinion - and his right to say it...have it... I just don't have to believe it either.

What "joke" is on me? I don't get that.

And what does this have to do with my other past times? Pudge - you have me confused.

I think you think it's silly to believe this team would lose a two-run lead in the 9th, and I think you think it's silly to believe this team is essentially done this season, and while you may be right, I believe the "crazy" fans who think those things are far more justified in believing them, and turning out to be far more accurate, than those who don't. And yet some continually seem to find amusement in laughing at these nay-sayers as if they are some kind of fools. I think the fools are turning out be those still believing. That is all.

I'd love to be the fool in the end.

jabrch
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I think you think it's silly to believe this team would lose a two-run lead in the 9th, and I think you think it's silly to believe this team is essentially done this season, and while you may be right, I believe the "crazy" fans who think those things are far more justified in believing them, and turning out to be far more accurate, than those who don't. And yet some continually seem to find amusement in laughing at these nay-sayers as if they are some kind of fools. I think the fools are turning out be those still believing. That is all.

I'd love to be the fool in the end.

I think it is silly to not think a team will win with a 2 run lead going into the 9th. Yes.

Now what joke is on me, and what doese this have to do with my other past times? I don't understand Pudge.

I have no idea how this season will turn out. I had no idea in April. I still don't. If other people were smart enough to determine it in advance, and are still smart enough to know we will lose going into a ninth with a 2 run lead, then that's awesome for them. Brilliant I say...simply brilliant. I'm not smart enough to do that. I didn't know in 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 or 2005 what would happen. I still don't have a clue how a season will play out even after 30ish games. Good for those who do...

NLaloosh
05-10-2010, 02:26 PM

And, they were 2 for 27 with RISP which is why they only score 7 runs instead of the 12 that any other team in those circumstances would have and then Jenks wouldn't have given up the game winner.And, they would have won.

The point is that these guys are just so bad at winning baseball games that even when they do a few things right they ususally do enough wrong to lose the game.

They are just bad. They cannot compete with Minnesota. It's very obvious.

October26
05-10-2010, 02:43 PM

I didn't have these exact stats available to me from yesterday's game, TDog, but I knew that the Sox had played well. I was checking in on the game periodically and saw that the Sox battled back (were hitting and getting on base).

That's what made this loss even more painful; they finally got on base and scored some runs and STILL lost.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Guys, it's just time to sit back and realize this team stinks. There's nothing magical about it. You're not "less of a fan." Trust me, though, it's a lot easier to watch them if you see them for what they're worth. Crap.

This post blows.

Because it's true.

Danielgosox38
05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Glad the team has a day off today. They need it... As well as us.

russ99
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
And, they were 2 for 27 with RISP which is why they only score 7 runs instead of the 12 that any other team in those circumstances would have and then Jenks wouldn't have given up the game winner.And, they would have won.

:rolleyes: Really... We need 12 runs everyday? Everything was set up for the win. We even got an insurance run in the 8th. Sucks that Bobby blew it, but it happens. Even guys like Papelbon and Rivera have blown saves before.

The great thing about baseball is they still have to play the games.

I'll be watching the series in Minnesota with some hope that this team has life in them and can at least make it interesting.

TDog
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM

The point is that these guys are just so bad at winning baseball games that even when they do a few things right they ususally do enough wrong to lose the game.

That is not evidence the White Sox are bad as much as it is evidence that on-base percentage isn't the be-all and end-all stat some people believe it is. Someone has to step up and get RBIs. MVPs get RBIs.

This weekend the Twins had their hands full competing at home against the Orioles.

Craig Grebeck
05-10-2010, 03:53 PM
That is not evidence the White Sox are bad as much as it is evidence that on-base percentage isn't the be-all and end-all stat some people believe it is. Someone has to step up and get RBIs. MVPs get RBIs.

This weekend the Twins had their hands full competing at home against the Orioles.
Too bad one weekend series is not a good determination of a team's quality. There is still no doubt in my mind -- just as there was no doubt in February and March and April -- that the White Sox simply aren't as talented as the Twins.

We needed to get off to a good start. We needed to not fall behind eight games. But, here we are. Let's hope they turn it around.

captain54
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I have no idea how this season will turn out. I still don't have a clue how a season will play out even after 30ish games. Good for those who do...

Well, I know how the season will turn out after 30 games, so thanks for the encouraging words and well wishes.

The White Sox will not win the Central division in 2010, nor the Wild Card. The Minnesota Twins will win the division. The highest the Sox will finish will be 2nd place.

They will exhibit of run of good baseball at some point in the season where things seem to be clicking. Minnesota will also slump at times. However, it will not be enough for the Sox to overtake the Twins.

The Sox will remain wildly inconsistent in most areas. Just when you think the ship is righted, it will begin to list and your hopes will be dashed and you will be depressed.

TomBradley72
05-10-2010, 04:00 PM

I agree....the old adage is that EVERY team wins 60, loses 60...the other 42 make the difference. Almost all of the White Sox wins this year fall into the "every team wins 60" category...if the other teams makes alot of errors, allows alot of walks,etc....we win. Otherwise, another loss.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Too bad one weekend series is not a good determination of a team's quality. There is still no doubt in my mind -- just as there was no doubt in February and March and April -- that the White Sox simply aren't as talented as the Twins.

We needed to get off to a good start. We needed to not fall behind eight games. But, here we are. Let's hope they turn it around.

But the games in April and May count less, no?:?:

october23sp
05-10-2010, 04:09 PM

This post blows.

Because it's true.

+1 to both of these.

DickAllen72
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Lip
The Sox really missed guys like Carl Everett, Aaron Rowand and Juan Uribe.

voodoochile
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, I know how the season will turn out after 30 games, so thanks for the encouraging words and well wishes.

The White Sox will not win the Central division in 2010, nor the Wild Card. The Minnesota Twins will win the division. The highest the Sox will finish will be 2nd place.

They will exhibit of run of good baseball at some point in the season where things seem to be clicking. Minnesota will also slump at times. However, it will not be enough for the Sox to overtake the Twins.

The Sox will remain wildly inconsistent in most areas. Just when you think the ship is righted, it will begin to list and your hopes will be dashed and you will be depressed.

I'd rather risk getting my heart broken in August or September than give up on the season now. Guess I'm just weak like that...

TomBradley72
05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Brian:

They had the worst season in 20 years in 2007.
They had a losing season in 2009
They are among the worst teams in MLB this season

They did very well in 2008.

A 25% success rate gets you fired in most jobs in the world today. And by "success" I always go back to my bottom line definition on how I judge a season...not did you win the World Series...not did you get to the World Series...not did you make the playoffs but simply, did you win more games than you lose.

Every year since 2007 the Sox have gotten off to slow starts, had hitting issues for the most part (remember Ozzie's tirade at Kenny after the Tampa series in 2008...) and yet I read the same thing every year about guys like Konerko talking about being "under pressure..."

There was a story this year in the newspapers about them talking about it AFTER THE FIRST CLEVELAND SERIES. Pressure ? After three games???

I contend there's something going on or not going on in the clubhouse with the manager / hitting coach or with the "team leaders" that is exacerbating the situation.

Lip

I think Ozzie has lost this team...whether it's his specific style or that ANY manager might have a rough time sustaining past the 6 years Ozzie has been managing the team...either way...I don't think they are responding to him at all....starting with the bull**** in spring training (twitter, etc.) and now with he "declarations" that are meaningless (i.e. Pierre won't lead off). It's time for a change.

Patrick134
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I'd rather risk getting my heart broken in August or September than give up on the season now. Guess I'm just weak like that...

If the team could rattle off 4 , or 5 wins in a row, amybe they'd gain confidence. I see no signs of it though, but I'm glad to see Rios play well.

captain54
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about risking your heart break in August and September. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it'll be over well, well before then.

I've already gotten my dose of heartbreak this April and May. My blood pressure can only take two months of heartbreak per season, so I'm tapped out.

voodoochile
05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about risking your heart break in August and September. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it'll be over well, well before then.

I've already gotten my dose of heartbreak this April and May. My blood pressure can only take two months of heartbreak per season, so I'm tapped out.

LOL... I refuse to throw in the emotional towel in early May.

JB98
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Agreed. The Sox just aren't very good at baseball.

I went to both games on the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to see a win Saturday. On Sunday, even my mom knew Jenks would blow it. I was disappointed, but not even slightly surprised. With each loss, the frustration becomes less, because my expectations are so low.

I'm bracing for the possibility of a 65-97 season.

TDog
05-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I didn't have these exact stats available to me from yesterday's game, TDog, but I knew that the Sox had played well. I was checking in on the game periodically and saw that the Sox battled back (were hitting and getting on base).

That's what made this loss even more painful; they finally got on base and scored some runs and STILL lost.

If the Sox get what they should out of their starting pitching, you're not going to have a save situation if you score seven runs.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Folks:

I think to many people are trying to pigeon hole where the fault lies...it's the offense...no it's the starting pitching, no wait, maybe it's the defense.

Double said it best...this is a bad TEAM period. It doesn't matter in the least if two of the three legs are doing well...it only takes one to topple over the chair and that is what's happening now.

Every game it's a different issue...that's not the defense or the hitting or the pitching when that happens consistently, it's the entire team.

Lip