PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity on the Diamond

RKMeibalane
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
We're roughly five weeks into the 2010 baseball season, yet I have already seen more stupidity (poor throws, base-running, decision-making) from players this season than I can remember in the past 2-3 seasons combined.

Moments ago, the Phillies had the bases loaded (Utley-Howard-Werth) in the first inning of their game against the Braves. Raul Ibanez hit a broken-bat flyball into right field that was caught by Melky Cabrera. Rather than throw the ball back into the infield, however, Cabrera held the ball for a few seconds, long enough that Chase Utley was able to score without a throw.

What is most troubling about this situation is that it appeared as though Cabrera had no idea that a runner was at third. He was confronted by the Braves coaching staff following the end of the half-inning, and looked like he wasn't at all interested in learning from his mistake. Anyone watching the game was treated to a nice shot of Melky sulking on the bench.

Things like this have been happening throughout baseball this season. Lastings Milledge was thrown out a few days ago because he mistakenly assumed that a ball he hit to the LF wall was a home run. He had gone into his home run trot and rounded second base, not realizing that his hit had been ruled a double, and the ball had been thrown back into the infield. His excuse? He heard the fireworks go off, and assumed that the ball was a home run. Why wasn't he watching the field of the play, or his coaches? He should not have been listening for fireworks.

Why is this happening? Are players not listening to coaches? Is coaching and instruction not what it was in the past? Is there another problem that's being overlooked? Thoughts?

Frankfan4life
05-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Guaranteed contracts. The problem is they don't miss a paycheck for being lazy, stupid or not giving a damn.

Paulwny
05-10-2010, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=RKMeibalane;2491400]
What is most troubling about this situation is that it appeared as though Cabrera had no idea that a runner was at third. He was confronted by the Braves coaching staff following the end of the half-inning, and looked like he wasn't at all interested in learning from his mistake. Anyone watching the game was treated to a nice shot of Melky sulking on the bench.QUOTE

That's why the NYY no longer wanted him, plenty of talent, no desire.

pythons007
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=RKMeibalane;2491400]
What is most troubling about this situation is that it appeared as though Cabrera had no idea that a runner was at third. He was confronted by the Braves coaching staff following the end of the half-inning, and looked like he wasn't at all interested in learning from his mistake. Anyone watching the game was treated to a nice shot of Melky sulking on the bench.QUOTE

That's why the NYY no longer wanted him, plenty of talent, no desire.

YOu mean the Mets?

jabrch
05-10-2010, 02:19 PM
YOu mean the Mets?

I thought the same thing - then I re-read it. He was talking about Melky, not Lastings. Confusing...

guillen4life13
05-10-2010, 02:28 PM
YOu mean the Mets?

Melky Cabrera played for the Yankees.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Melky Cabrera played for the Yankees.

Yeah he did I was like ***? lol

Gavin
05-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I think you're talking a handful of incidents and trying to make a trend out of it. For every "stupid" play I have seen just as many incidents of "smart baseball". But more often than not it's ... just baseball.