PDA

View Full Version : Tcq

LITTLE NELL
05-09-2010, 08:59 AM
What are we going to do with this guy.
It looks like he may have been a one year flash in the pan.
I'm not sure what his trade value is but it would not break may heart to see him traded for a couple of prospects.

TomBradley72
05-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd hang in there with him...as bad as he's been...he's our 2nd best hitter w/RISP...hitting .280 with 18 RBI's, only Jones has a higher average w/RISP.

I DO think he belongs in LF or in the DH role, not RF.

hi im skot
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
He's slumping badly, but I've seen enough good things out of him to stick with him.

Remember, he was solid early last season before the injuries came up.

jabrch
05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I am a firm believer in not selling low. That's an economically poor strategy in most areas of life.

JB98
05-09-2010, 11:05 AM
The Sox have to stick with him. They don't have any better options.

Quentin has to get it turned around.

Dibbs
05-09-2010, 12:06 PM
What are we going to do? Probably nothing. We can't get much for him, so we might as well keep him and hope he wasn't just a flash in the pan. If he continues to stink, we have to get rid of him eventually.

Konerko05
05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
The value of what Quentin can actually do is far greater than anything he would command in a trade right now.

They have to let him ride this out. If he figures it out, we have a legitimate MVP candidate in the middle of the lineup.

****, with Jones, Konerko, and Rios hitting, our lineup might actually be good if Quentin and Beckham can turn it around.

It's just getting harder and harder to watch them day in and day out. But both guys are the type of guys who will get extremely hot when they do figure it out.

There will be a point where enough is enough, but I don't think it's anytime in the near future. I have confidence it will happen sooner than later.

pudge
05-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Agree with everyone, you have to stick with him. I think he tries to do too much. He needs more of a right-field approach. But imagine if this guy didn't get hurt in '08, he likely would have won MVP. Would you then be saying to trade a former MVP?

delben91
05-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Agree with everyone, you have to stick with him. I think he tries to do too much. He needs more of a right-field approach. But imagine if this guy didn't get hurt in '08, he likely would have won MVP. Would you then be saying to trade a former MVP?

If he can't work it out, eventually you have to consider it, but I bet he ends up around .270 with 30 HRs and 85+ RBI.

Besides, if you sit him down, do you play Kotsay everyday? Or maybe bring up Danks I guess, but no real sure things to hit in the clutch, which is the one area Quentin has been producing so far.

cv sox fan
05-09-2010, 09:01 PM
A MVP guy? He is OK on offense, out in the field he is terrible. He dose not get a good read on fly balls,teams no to run on him.I was at the game today loppers down the line A Jones catches no problem TCQ.dives is not even close.He is a DH. at best.Our Best outfield is Pierre il Rios cf. Jones rf.When A.Jones needs rest play Kotsay he is better at defence.Maybe trade TCQ. IN OFF season if his offensive #S do not improve

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2010, 01:59 AM
What are we going to do with this guy.
It looks like he may have been a one year flash in the pan.
I'm not sure what his trade value is but it would not break may heart to see him traded for a couple of prospects.Who's we? The Sox haven't asked me for my opinion.

A MVP guy? He is OK on offense, out in the field he is terrible. He dose not get a good read on fly balls,teams no to run on him.I was at the game today loppers down the line A Jones catches no problem TCQ.dives is not even close.He is a DH. at best.Our Best outfield is Pierre il Rios cf. Jones rf.When A.Jones needs rest play Kotsay he is better at defence.Maybe trade TCQ. IN OFF season if his offensive #S do not improveWow.

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Who's we? The Sox haven't asked me for my opinion.

Maybe they should, KW and Ozzie have not done such a good job the last 2 years.

southside rocks
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Who's we? The Sox haven't asked me for my opinion.

Maybe they should, KW and Ozzie have not done such a good job the last 2 years.

Winning the division in '08 with a mediocre team was doing a pretty damn good job, I thought.

soltrain21
05-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Winning the division in '08 with a mediocre team was doing a pretty damn good job, I thought.

That was a very mediocre division.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I am a firm believer in not selling low. That's an economically poor strategy in most areas of life.

Yeah, but then when he gets hot (selling high) no one wants to unload him.

See Paul Konerko right now.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 10:26 AM
The Sox have to stick with him. They don't have any better options.

Quentin has to get it turned around.

This is exactly why you do not send Gordon down to AAA "to work on things."

There is not a better replacement right now.

But Ozzie just needs to get it thru his thick skull to to move him to 8 or 9 on the order.

stevied23
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM

But Ozzie just needs to get it thru his thick skull to to move him to 8 or 9 on the order.

Beckham has 2 hits in his last 28 bats I believe.....so something has to be done.

delben91
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Beckham has 2 hits in his last 28 bats I believe.....so something has to be done.

Let's start Nix everyday!!!! :)

WhiteSox1989
05-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Not EVERY day. But yes, playing Nix would be one solution.

stevied23
05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm hardly suggesting that. But it's complete stupidity to allow a player batting .193 and playing as poorly as Beckham to continue to allow him to hit in the #2 spot.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm hardly suggesting that. But it's complete stupidity to allow a player batting .193 and playing as poorly as Beckham to continue to allow him to hit in the #2 spot.

That's exactly the problem here.

Playing him every day, not the issue. Setting him up to continue to fail by hitting him #2 is the problem.

Sad thing is that the line up has a few guys below or around the Mendoza line, so how do you fix the problem.

TomBradley72
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Not EVERY day. But yes, playing Nix would be one solution.

If Nix is the solution we should back up the track, retool and set out sights on 2011...he is not a legitimate major leaguer...if we released him...no one would pick him up for a major league roster.

stevied23
05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
If Nix is the solution we should back up the track, retool and set out sights on 2011...he is not a legitimate major leaguer...if we released him...no one would pick him up for a major league roster.

But Beckham hasn't been a legitmate major league player all year, so if it means ultimately sending him down to help him regain some confidence while Nix fills in for a few weeks I'm all for it. I think the first option should be to place him in the 9 spot and see what happens...

WhiteSox1989
05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I should have said temporary solution, until Beckham gets his **** together, and starts playing like a Major League baseball player.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Reading this thread scares the hell out of me of what the White Sox future will be if Quentin and Beckham are not the players we expected them to be.

The future rides on these two guys, so they better be pretty damn good. Allstar level good.

TomBradley72
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I should have said temporary solution, until Beckham gets his **** together, and starts playing like a Major League baseball player.

I can't disagree with the assessment...but if Nix is part of the solution it's an indication of the lack of quality depth we have in the organization at 2nd base. 27 year old, .206 career hitter....not good.

khan
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Take the opposite view for a moment:

Is it possible that there is a player, either on the bench or in Charlotte that could bat .193, and catch the ball for however long it takes for Beckham to figure it out? Say, maybe a few weeks?

I certainly think so. Beckham has set the bar SO LOW, that it is insanity, IMO, to continue to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again with this guy.

Ozzie CAN'T BE TRUSTED to move Beckham out of the #2 hole, just like he CAN'T BE TRUSTED to move Pierre out of the #1 hole, just like he couldn't be trusted to NOT start Mackowiac or Erstad. [EDIT: Though Pierre is showing some signs of life, which may be a product of him being a veteran, while Beckham may lack the experience necessary to work out of it.]

IMO, KW MUST send Beckham down to AAA, because Ozzie simply can't/won't move Beckham out of the #2 hole. Ozzie is [ONCE AGAIN] setting Beckham up to fail.

If Beckham goes down to Charlotte, he may yet be a productive player back in MLB this year.

KW, we've seen this movie over and over and over and over again with Ozzie. Just excise him from the decision-making process, and DO THE RIGHT THING. Send Beckham down, and SOONER, rather than later.

khan
05-10-2010, 12:14 PM
The value of what Quentin can actually do is far greater than anything he would command in a trade right now.

They have to let him ride this out. If he figures it out, we have a legitimate MVP candidate in the middle of the lineup.

****, with Jones, Konerko, and Rios hitting, our lineup might actually be good if Quentin and Beckham can turn it around.

It's just getting harder and harder to watch them day in and day out. But both guys are the type of guys who will get extremely hot when they do figure it out.

There will be a point where enough is enough, but I don't think it's anytime in the near future. I have confidence it will happen sooner than later.
I certainly hope that Quentin "figures it out."

But we have scant evidence of this. He might be injured, so who knows?

The reality is that we don't have enough of a track record on him to be POSITIVE that he should be a MVP-type hitter or not. He had 5 INCREDIBLE months a few seasons ago, and that was awesome.

But the unfortunate truth is that he's a career .250 hitter, with more injuries than anything else.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Take the opposite view for a moment:

Is it possible that there is a player, either on the bench or in Charlotte that could bat .193, and catch the ball for however long it takes for Beckham to figure it out? Say, maybe a few weeks?

I certainly think so. Beckham has set the bar SO LOW, that it is insanity, IMO, to continue to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again with this guy.

Ozzie CAN'T BE TRUSTED to move Beckham out of the #2 hole, just like he CAN'T BE TRUSTED to move Pierre out of the #1 hole, just like he couldn't be trusted to NOT start Mackowiac or Erstad. [EDIT: Though Pierre is showing some signs of life, which may be a product of him being a veteran, while Beckham may lack the experience necessary to work out of it.]

IMO, KW MUST send Beckham down to AAA, because Ozzie simply can't/won't move Beckham out of the #2 hole. Ozzie is [ONCE AGAIN] setting Beckham up to fail.

If Beckham goes down to Charlotte, he may yet be a productive player back in MLB this year.

KW, we've seen this movie over and over and over and over again with Ozzie. Just excise him from the decision-making process, and DO THE RIGHT THING. Send Beckham down, and SOONER, rather than later.

If this is the case then Kenny needs to fire Ozzie today.

TomBradley72
05-10-2010, 12:35 PM

While we're at it, fire Kenny.

In our entire organization who's are next best alternative for a #2 hitter after Beckham? We have NO ONE...Ozzie needs to make a move, but he doesn't have alot of options...and he hasn't in the #2 slot since Iguchi left.

While we're at it, who's our next best alternative at the lead off slot behind the aging Juan Pierre? No one.

Who's our next best alternative to Mark Teahen at 3rd base? (lowest fielding pct of any regular 3rd baseman in the AL). Brent Morel at AA.

I agree with the assessment of Ozzie, but for the last few years...he's been trying plug chronic holes in the rosters KW has built..lead off, #2 hitter, 3rd baseman, CF (finally fixed with Rios).

khan
05-10-2010, 12:37 PM

That might not be a bad thing.

The alternative is to recognize that people in coaching have strengths and weaknesses, just as players do, and just as people at your work do.

I think that KW gave Ozzie too much say in this roster, which translates into just enough rope for Ozzie to hang himself. I also think that KW has not asserted enough of his own authority in designing this team. Maybe it's because KW/Ozzie are/were friends, I don't know.

But should KW want to keep Ozzie around, he'd better recognize Ozzie's strengths/weaknesses. This, so that he can take measures to maximize Ozzie's strengths while minimizing his shortcomings.