PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Retrospective

PhillipsBubba
05-08-2010, 04:44 PM
MLB is currentltly re-capping the 1959 season culminating in the White Sox/Dodgers World Series.

I can remember how mad I was as a first grader at St. Christina School because the 7th and 8th graders got to watch the World Series during class.

Yes, those were the days when all the World Series games were played during the day.

SephClone89
05-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I have this on, too.

Dad and I watched it one time over Christmas, too.

LITTLE NELL
05-08-2010, 05:20 PM
MLB is currentltly re-capping the 1959 season culminating in the White Sox/Dodgers World Series.

I can remember how mad I was as a first grader at St. Christina School because the 7th and 8th graders got to watch the World Series during class.

Yes, those were the days when all the World Series games were played during the day.

Was lucky enough to attend game 2 which we lost, but as a 13 year old it was quite a thrill watching my boyhood heroes in the WS especially after all those great seasons in the 50s and to have finally won the pennant and get into the fall classic.

Medford Bobby
05-09-2010, 11:14 AM
My Dad was at game 6. I asked him if the 2005 Championship team surpasses the 1959 for winning the series. He said he still favours the 1959 team.

wilburaga
05-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Was lucky enough to attend game 2 which we lost, but as a 13 year old it was quite a thrill watching my boyhood heroes in the WS especially after all those great seasons in the 50s and to have finally won the pennant and get into the fall classic.

Did you dump the beer on poor Al Smith?

LITTLE NELL
05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Did you dump the beer on poor Al Smith?

No we were sitting in the low boxes way down the right field line where you really had to crane your neck to see home plate.
The goats of the day were Tony Cuccinello the 3B coach who sent Lollar home from 1B on an Al Smith double, Sherm was tagged out by so much he didn't even slide. The other goat was Nat King Cole who butchered the National Anthem.

LITTLE NELL
05-09-2010, 03:17 PM
My Dad was at game 6. I asked him if the 2005 Championship team surpasses the 1959 for winning the series. He said he still favours the 1959 team.

05 was great but theres something about the 59 team. I can still name all the players and their numbers on the 59ers but can't with the 05ers.

sox1970
05-09-2010, 03:35 PM
05 was great but theres something about the 59 team. I can still name all the players and their numbers on the 59ers but can't with the 05ers.

It's all about the generation you're from. I'm sure my dad is the same way. I'm partial to the 1990 team even though they didn't even make the playoffs. As far as a regular season, 1990 is my favorite team. October...well, I'll take those 12 games in 2005.

EdHerman12
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I thought MLB did a good job with this as they do for all things similar. The things that seperates the '59 Sox season from the '05 besides the obvious that the '05 team won the title was the fact that back in the pre division days if you came in first place you were straight in the World Series. Plus the fact that the Yankees were usually still playing in October so many times. If not for them, the Sox could've been in the WS many more times especially going into the 60's. From '57 to '65 the Sox finished 2nd 5 times! Imagine in '57 or '58 (two of the seasons they finished second) if they had won the AL and played the Milwaukee Braves? What a scene that could've been!

It's nice to have these things to look back on especially for those who watched it as it happened...

Paulwny
05-10-2010, 12:31 PM
It's all about the generation you're from. I'm sure my dad is the same way. I'm partial to the 1990 team even though they didn't even make the playoffs. As far as a regular season, 1990 is my favorite team. October...well, I'll take those 12 games in 2005.

Exactly, they were the childhood idols.

wilburaga
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
No we were sitting in the low boxes way down the right field line where you really had to crane your neck to see home plate.
The goats of the day were Tony Cuccinello the 3B coach who sent Lollar home from 1B on an Al Smith double, Sherm was tagged out by so much he didn't even slide. The other goat was Nat King Cole who butchered the National Anthem.

That home run by Charlie Neal during which the beer was dumped on Al Smith marked the turning point of the series. Up until then, the Sox has scored all 13 runs in the series, and were leading 2-0 in the fifth inning of game 2. The Dodgers hadn't done anything right. That sure changed. Curse Larry Sherry.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2010, 02:58 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2128

Lip