PDA

View Full Version : Patawalacola? Hawk sayings.

Streets
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Some friends and I were having a conversation about sayings the Hawk uses during the game. They remember him using a saying that sounds like "patawatacola" but can't remember what it was supposed to mean.

Anyone remember hearing him say this?

sox1970
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Matt Abbatacola. He's a producer on the Score. He says it when somebody breaks their bat.

Streets
05-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Ha ha thanks, that's a bit off from what we were hearing!

Slappy
05-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Is there bad blood between Hawk and Matt?

Railsplitter
05-08-2010, 04:42 PM

I think it's a jibe at Matt's golf swing.

Slappy
05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Ohhh.

Madvora
05-08-2010, 10:46 PM
This was actually something that I heard on the radio about a year ago. I think Boers and Bernstein asked Hawk if he could use Matt's name somehow while calling a game and that's what Hawk came up with.

soxpride724
05-09-2010, 06:35 AM

I asked Matt about this last year. He told me that he and Hawk are friends, and that Hawk wanted to use his name during the Sox broadcast as a way to give him a "shoutout".

soxfanreggie
05-09-2010, 10:00 AM
The Score does have some great names for radio personalities and producers...Abbatacola, Shepkowski, Grobstein, Arkush, etc.

Noneck
05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
This has to be the most ridiculous saying Harrelson uses. I could see if he used a ball players name that used to break bats or even any ball players name. But to use a very marginal radio personality's name that is also a cub fan is utterly ludicrous. I cant wait for Harrelson to retire.

Brian26
05-09-2010, 12:09 PM
This has to be the most ridiculous saying Harrelson uses. I could see if he used a ball players name that used to break bats or even any ball players name. But to use a very marginal radio personality's name that is also a cub fan is utterly ludicrous. I cant wait for Harrelson to retire.

Noneck, I'm pretty sure you've been a Sox fan for a long time, so I'll post this question to you:

What are/were your thoughts are on the short-lived Gary Thorne era of Sox broadcasting on television?

Noneck
05-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Noneck, I'm pretty sure you've been a Sox fan for a long time, so I'll post this question to you:

What are/were your thoughts are on the short-lived Gary Thorne era of Sox broadcasting on television?

He wasnt good. I always wished that they left Rooney and Paciorek on the TV rather than sending Rooney to radio.

Brian26
05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
He wasnt good. I always wished that they left Rooney and Paciorek on the TV rather than sending Rooney to radio.

I enjoyed Rooney on television quite a bit too.

Gary Thorne, or a type of broadcaster like him, is my biggest fear when Harrelson finally departs. That's why, as much as Hawk can be annoying, I appreciate the personality that he brings to the booth.

harwar
05-09-2010, 12:52 PM

i have memory and concentration problems but i'm pretty sure that Hawk and matt got into it on the air once .. matt was always baiting him to the point that Hawk called into the show once to defend himself .. it was pretty much a confrontational relationship .. the only time i tune into 670 these days is for the pre & post and the game

esbrechtel
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
The Score does have some great names for radio personalities and producers...Abbatacola, Shepkowski, Grobstein, Arkush, etc.

he is Soltrain's roommate

eastchicagosoxfan
05-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Do other announcers argue balls and strike as passionately as Hawk? I'm tired of hearing about the umpiring from him.

sox1970
05-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm just tired of hearing from him. Period.

KingXerxes
05-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm just tired of hearing from him. Period.

Seconded.

akingamongstmen
05-10-2010, 07:44 AM
We haven't argued about Hawk in awhile.

Love him or hate him he is a part of the White Sox experience. I have so many fond memories of watching games with my brothers as a kid with Hawk calling the games. He's practically family to me in a weird way. I'm hopeful that he sticks around for a long time to come so that I can listen to him with my kids. How else are they going to learn about Carl Yastrzemski? :D:

Hawk's personality is unique in the broadcasting world. I've moved around a lot in my life and have been bored by far too many "professional" announcers. If you enjoy the dry white toast appeal of "traditional" broadcasters, then we're going to have to agree to disagree.

soltrain21
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
he is Soltrain's roommate

Well, he was. He moved out last month to make way for the GF.

Sad
05-10-2010, 09:20 AM
This has to be the most ridiculous saying Harrelson uses.

+1

Abatacola ... Dan Bernstein Jr... :rolleyes:

chisox616
05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
We haven't argued about Hawk in awhile.

Love him or hate him he is a part of the White Sox experience. I have so many fond memories of watching games with my brothers as a kid with Hawk calling the games. He's practically family to me in a weird way. I'm hopeful that he sticks around for a long time to come so that I can listen to him with my kids. How else are they going to learn about Carl Yastrzemski? :D:

Hawk's personality is unique in the broadcasting world. I've moved around a lot in my life and have been bored by far too many "professional" announcers. If you enjoy the dry white toast appeal of "traditional" broadcasters, then we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I was watching MLB Network's Top 35 offensive plays the other day, and I just felt awful for some of the terrible home run calls some teams have to endure. Just boring, no emotion, no excitement. I can't remember most of them unfortunately.

One team I did really like was the Rangers broadcasters, they have a ton of emotion.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I think Hawk is good as long as the Sox are winning.

When the Sox are losing, different story.

soxfan43
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I think Hawk is good as long as the Sox are winning.

When the Sox are losing, different story.

I'd agree with that statement. I guess I am too young to have heard Gary Thorne do Sox games, but I used to love him calling ESPN's hockey games in the 90s-2000s.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd agree with that statement. I guess I am too young to have heard Gary Thorne do Sox games, but I used to love him calling ESPN's hockey games in the 90s-2000s.

Gary Thorne IMO was not as bad as Jim Durham (the former Bulls announcer). Durham would call the count after evey pitch like this:

"Ball 2 strike 1."

"Strike 2 ball 3."

It was so annoying.

beasly213
05-10-2010, 02:18 PM
+1

Abatacola ... Dan Bernstein Jr... :rolleyes:

Have you ever listened to Abatacola? They aren't really all that simmilar. Last week Dan and Matt had a pretty heated on air argument about Dan being to negative and to mean to callers for no reason. I like Dan but him and Matt aren't really a like. Lawrence Holms on the other hand... has seemed to mold his career after Dan.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
For the most part I enjoy listening to Hawk. I'm tired of his constant arguing of balls and strikes.

Medford Bobby
05-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Don't get Hawk started on "Ba-ba Booey":tongue: