PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bigs: Starlin Castro

JermaineDye05
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
3-run homer in his first AB. Good for him.

Unlike other Cubs prospects, this guy appears to be the real deal. Good for them. It's about time they got a legit prospect.

I'm sure many Cubs fans feel the same way we did when Gordon came up last year.

Boondock Saint
05-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Other headlines:

Still not ready for the bigs: Homer Bailey.

edit: Add a 3 run triple off of Micah Owings to his resume. Christ.

Marqhead
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Adds a 3 run triple in the 5th.

sox1970
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
He already has more RBI's than Beckham. :whiner:

JermaineDye05
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
He already has more RBI's than Beckham. :whiner:

Yeah well there's a book on Beckham right now and not Castro.

Funny, both Beckham got their first career HR against the Reds and both were 3-run jacks

sox1970
05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah well there's a book on Beckham right now and not Castro.

Funny, both Beckham got their first career HR against the Reds and both were 3-run jacks

I did notice that. Maybe not the 3-run part, but I remembered Beck's first homer was there.

As far as the book...well, I don't care what kind of book there is on Beckham--he should have more than 4 RBI's right now.

JB98
05-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Castro: 6 RBIs in 3 ABs
Juan Pierre: 1 RBI in 110 ABs

Rdy2PlayBall
05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Castro: 6 RBIs in 3 ABs
Juan Pierre: 1 RBI in 110 ABsThe comparison should be with Beckham and Castro. I don't see how Pierre's playing style is anything close to Castro. xD

Now I'm going to here **** about how this guy is the next comming of Pujols and Beckham is a bum. Great. And I also get to hear that bald prick on the tribune show say how this guy is the savior and is the reason the Cubs will win the World Series.

I'm happy for the kid, but this will likely be the highlight of the month for Chicago baseball. Though I have to say, what a pretty beastly debut. Possibly one of the best ever? Any stat people have the numbers? :redneck

sox1970
05-08-2010, 12:53 AM
First player born in the 90's to make the bigs.

Most RBI's for a major league debut--6.

Not bad.

VMSNS
05-08-2010, 01:16 AM
That's crazy. I remember listening to a scouting report on him a few months ago (on WSCR) saying that he had little/no power and was poor defensively.

Good for him.

kittle42
05-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Must be nice to have players in the minors that can make an impact,

doublem23
05-08-2010, 07:57 AM

Eh, it's one game. Right now the Cubs' minor league system is as dependable as ours. Give the kid a few weeks to prove he's not the next Corey Patterson/Felix Pie.

veeter
05-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Another cubbie "WOW" factor moment. My God, this will be spoken about for twenty years, alongside Kerry Wood's twenty strike out game. Neither added up, or will add up to anything. But hey, it's what those fans crave.

soxinem1
05-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Another cubbie "WOW" factor moment. My God, this will be spoken about for twenty years, alongside Kerry Wood's twenty strike out game. Neither added up, or will add up to anything. But hey, it's what those fans crave.

This sort of reminds me of the debut of a former VERY highly-touted OF (seventh pick in the nation in 1981) with the White Sox back in 1984. He had three hits including a near-HR triple, two runs scored, and a stolen base.

It was Daryl Boston.

Of course, DBo is from Cincinnati, so maybe we have a little similarity here..........

Marqhead
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
That's crazy. I remember listening to a scouting report on him a few months ago (on WSCR) saying that he had little/no power and was poor defensively.

Good for him.

This is crazy because everything I've read is that he's a plus defender with a good power potential.

white sox bill
05-08-2010, 01:37 PM
This sort of reminds me of the debut of a former VERY highly-touted OF (seventh pick in the nation in 1981) with the White Sox back in 1984. He had three hits including a near-HR triple, two runs scored, and a stolen base.

It was Daryl Boston.

Of course, DBo is from Cincinnati, so maybe we have a little similarity here..........
Yes and all know how forgettable Boston was. Not to hijack but does anyone remember the name David Clyde? IIRC he was just a few weeks out of his last lunch in high school and Texas brought him up, expectations and all. But I didn't think he amounted to much due to arm injury

canOcorn
05-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Good for him.

That report was a little inadequate. He doesn't have much power at this point, 11 HR's in 1100 PA's. He's expected to develop it later, but so was Ryan Sweeney. His triple was a ball that rolled to the wall and his HR was 360 feet (a HR in maybe 3 parks).

Defensively, he's got a gun and great range. He has a problem being consistent at this point. Someone just probably looked at him making 39 errors last season and said he sucks.

He has the tools, but he has areas he still needs to develop both offensively and defensively to become a worthwhile SS for the Flubs.

tick53
05-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Get ready brothers and sisters. This is all we're gonna hear about for the next few weeks. :stars:

JermaineDye05
05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Get ready brothers and sisters. This is all we're gonna hear about for the next few weeks. :stars:

Why shouldn't we? He's the top prospect in their organization and he's actually projected to be pretty damn good, the face of that team.

Beckham dominated the papers and airwaves when he was called up here last year. Hell, even Beckham's hair was the talk of the town for a couple weeks.

It's not every day you get a prospect with the promise to come up and automatically be the best player on your team and the fans and media should be embracing it.

DickAllen72
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Why shouldn't we? He's the top prospect in their organization and he's actually projected to be pretty damn good, the face of that team.

Beckham dominated the papers and airwaves when he was called up here last year. Hell, even Beckham's hair was the talk of the town for a couple weeks.

It's not every day you get a prospect with the promise to come up and automatically be the best player on your team and the fans and media should be embracing it.
And unlike Beckham, Castro produced right away in his first big league game. Let him have his moment in the sun.

rwcescato
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM

What are you talking about. Castro is in the hall of fame already. lol.
Mark prior Jr.

sox1970
05-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Castro with the error hat trick tonight.

StillMissOzzie
05-11-2010, 02:06 AM

Eh, it's one game. Right now the Cubs' minor league system is as dependable as ours. Give the kid a few weeks to prove he's not the next Corey Patterson/Felix Pie.

What are you talking about. Castro is in the hall of fame already. lol.
Mark prior Jr.

Castro with the error hat trick tonight.

Darn it, sox1970, you stole my thunder! With the E-6 sign going up not once, not just twice, but three times, I think we can hold off on the new wing in Cooperstown a bit longer. He's kinda like Soriano now, his bat will win games and his glove and arm will lose games.

SMO
:tongue:

doublem23
05-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Only took the Wrigley faithful about 8 innings giving the kid the Soriano Treatment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0511-cubs-florida-chicago--20100510,0,6083114.story

Gavin
05-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Only took the Wrigley faithful about 8 innings giving the kid the Soriano Treatment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0511-cubs-florida-chicago--20100510,0,6083114.story

There is no player I would ever not boo after watching him make his third error in one game. I can go on stretches of going to 3 or 4 games in a row without one error. By a team.

RadioheadRocks
05-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Hmmm another E tonight. Guess the papers jumped the gun a little this weekend.

Lesson learned... hyping someone to death after a spectacular rookie debut game, there's no place else to go but down.

Tragg
05-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Tuffy Castro

cws05champ
05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Tuffy Castro

I wouldn't quite go that far...Castro still projects to be a good player even if he's had a rough defensive 1st week.