PDA

View Full Version : DeadSpin: An Excerpt from Are We Winnning? - A prayer for Steve Bartman

WhiteSoxFTW
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
http://deadspin.com/5530141/excerpt-from-are-we-winning-a-prayer-for-steve-bartman?skyline=true&s=i

Wow, that is pretty gut-wrenching.

Edit: Can a mod please fix my spelling error in the threat title?

Marqhead
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I was looking forward to an excerpt from the book and when I found out it was all about Bartman I was disappointed. I read a couple paragraphs and got sick of it.

Hopefully the rest is better.

doublem23
05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Leitch FTW

voodoochile
05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Bartman got one of the rawest deals in the history of raw deals...

pythons007
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Bartman got one of the rawest deals in the history of raw deals...

If the Cubs do get to the World Series one day in the next 30-50 years. They should look that guy up and ask him to throw out the first pitch!

TheOldRoman
05-07-2010, 02:00 PM
If the Cubs do get to the World Series one day in the next 30-50 years. They should look that guy up and ask him to throw out the first pitch!Funny you should mention that. Rick Sutcliffe was scheduled to throw out the first pitch of game 3 of the World Series (first in the NL park) if the Cubs made it. He decided after game 6 of the NLCS that he would have Bartman on the field to throw the first pitch out with him. However, Kerry Wood sucked in game 7, and you know the rest of the story.

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2010, 04:18 PM
What an absolutely fantastic story. As someone said earlier, Bartman has gotten the rawest deal in all of this. The few real Cub fans I know don't blame Bartman. However the Chad and Trixies at Wrigley who aren't sure what the score is, they blame Bartman and unfortunately for Mr. Bartman most people who go to Wrigley Field are of the Chad and Trixie variety.

Iwritecode
05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
My friend says the blame should be in this order:

Alex Gonzalez - for bobbling an easy DP play.
Dusty Baker - for leaving his rookie pitcher on the mound.
Moises Alou - for throwing a fit.
Mark Prior - for giving up all those runs.
everyone else - for losing game 7.
Steve Bartman - for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Woofer
05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I still feel sorry for the guy. He got all the blame for the collapse, when he only was partially to blame. He was just in the wrong spot at the right time, and he reacted like most people would have. The Cubs deserved blame, Dusty deserved blame for not going out to talk to Prior and the team.

It was a collapse of Epic porportions. As a Cubs hating Sox fan, I was not looking forward to life after a Cubs world series win. The media coverage and the fan gloating was too much as it was. Fortunately, 2005 saved us from any future harrassment. :smile:

pythons007
05-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I still feel sorry for the guy. He got all the blame for the collapse, when he only was partially to blame. He was just in the wrong spot at the right time, and he reacted like most people would have. The Cubs deserved blame, Dusty deserved blame for not going out to talk to Prior and the team.

It was a collapse of Epic porportions. As a Cubs hating Sox fan, I was not looking forward to life after a Cubs world series win. The media coverage and the fan gloating was too much as it was. Fortunately, 2005 saved us from any future harrassment. :smile:

I remember that series pretty well, skobabe8 and I went to our Cubs friend's house with a bunch of others to watch the series. A couple of them got pissed at us for showing up but we just sat there drank our beer and kind of chuckled a little when everything fell apart. good times.

However people look at Bartman, if ANYONE were in his shoes they would have done the same exact thinig, PERIOD. If someone says they wouldn't they are straight lying to your face.

Like the article states, if Bartman had any hands and actually caught the ball, things would have been completely different. He would have been patted on the back..

OldRomanPizza
05-07-2010, 05:55 PM
This is a tired story but I enjoyed that excerpt quite a bit. Its probably the best piece written about Bartman, at least that I've read.

C-Dawg
05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Looking back with perfect hindsight, I almost wish I'd watched those two final games. I'd gone to bed both those nights about 8PM to avoid the whole ordeal.