PDA

View Full Version : Padres' take on the Peavy Deal

KMcMahon817
05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
http://friarhood.com/voice-of-the-fan/koke-korner/262-peavy-trade-already-a-steal.html

It's always interesting to get the other side of the story. The article mentions that Poreda is in AA working on his craft andCarter is struggling a bit in A. They seem to really like Clayton; I always did too.

Definitely worth reading, even though they think we got hosed. I tend to disagree.

mzh
05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice to know that we're not the only one who judge everything based on the first 25 games :rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFTW
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Trades in baseball are not really supposed to be looked at as winners/losers. The intent is that both teams get value. I think both teams did. I always liked Richard and I think he can do pretty well in the NL. It's too bad we lost Poreda, but that's how trades work. You have to give up good players to get good players.

WhiteSoxFTW
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Now, in the long run, with all the talk about Peavy's pitching motion, the White Sox may lose out in the deal. Peavy may very well wear his arm out before he finishes out his contract here. It has been the source of discussion all week. Scouts have talked about it for several years now. Peavy has a violent throwing motion. The Padres knew it. They babied and gave him extra rest for the last few years and definitely during his Cy Young year.

It sounds like the Sox thought they could tweak his motion for less wear and tear, but that failed. MISERABLY. Peavy went back to how he threw in San Diego in his last start against the Royals, and he dominated.

We will see how it works out in a few years.

wilburaga
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I have many issues with this article.

First of all, Poreda was in the first round of major league cuts this spring with the Pads, not amongst the last. He had a terrible spring and he's not progressing in AA, with 12 walks and 8 strikeouts in 13 innings. That is not going to cut it. Russell has a 9.00 ERA in AAA. He never seemed a difference maker to me, not even close. Carter has a 4:68 ERA with a 1-3 record in low A ball. These three have all regressed since leaving the Sox.

Now Richard has had his moments and may yet develop into a dependable starter. But, thanks, I'll take Jake, and so would any sane GM.

Huisj
05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I wonder why Poreda suddenly lost the strike zone last year. In 2007 and 2008, his control was fine, down around 2 BB/9 IP. Then at AA last year, he got a little worse at 4.9/ 9 IP. Then after the trade, can't find the plate for crap, and it seems to be just as bad now as it was at the end of last year. What happened?

doublem23
05-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Someone is going to have to remind me at what point in time Adam Russell, Clayton Richard, and Dexter Carter qualified as PRIZED arms?

I mean, I know Richard had that crazy year, but its not like people were projecting him to be an amazing, Cy Young Award contender for years to come. Hell, the nicest projection I think I ever saw for him was #3 on an average team.

:dunno:

pythons007
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I couldn't read the article with the background. it was giving me a headache. Of course the Padres are going to say they got the better end of the trade. Why in their right mind say they lost a Cy Young winner for a bunch of scrap?

JB98
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
The Padres should like Richard. He's a lefty with pretty decent stuff. He can't field his position worth a lick, but he's tough when he's getting the ball over the plate. He's a nice No. 3 or No. 4 starter.

samurai_sox
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Who would have thought biased opinions existed beyond the realms of WSI? :shrug:

DumpJerry
05-07-2010, 02:40 PM
The article is nothing more than sour grapes.

They put more stock in a prospect (Poreda) than someone who has shown he has it? Riiiiiighttttt......

NLaloosh
05-07-2010, 03:29 PM
http://friarhood.com/voice-of-the-fan/koke-korner/262-peavy-trade-already-a-steal.html

Response?

Rocky Soprano
05-07-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119937

russ99
05-07-2010, 03:39 PM
The article is nothing more than sour grapes.

They put more stock in a prospect (Poreda) than someone who has shown he has it? Riiiiiighttttt......

Carter and Poreda could turn out to be decent pitchers.

But I love how the roll out the "run-support" excuse propping up Richard. Clayton may be a servicable back-end starter, but let's be serious.

Also Adam Russell was thrown in for a reason. Once hitters see him, they figure him out.

Corlose 15
05-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Now, in the long run, with all the talk about Peavy's pitching motion, the White Sox may lose out in the deal. Peavy may very well wear his arm out before he finishes out his contract here. It has been the source of discussion all week. Scouts have talked about it for several years now. Peavy has a violent throwing motion. The Padres knew it. They babied and gave him extra rest for the last few years and definitely during his Cy Young year.

It sounds like the Sox thought they could tweak his motion for less wear and tear, but that failed. MISERABLY. Peavy went back to how he threw in San Diego in his last start against the Royals, and he dominated.

We will see how it works out in a few years.

Where did you see that? Everything I've seen has said that he had a subtle change to his delivery because of his ankle injury THAT STARTED IN SAN DIEGO, which he corrected before his last two starts.

Domeshot17
05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
(1) Who gives a flying ****? This is a trade article written by a FAN!!! It would be like if they linked to the WSI blog, it has zero affliation with the team and overall meaningless. Its just some dude in his living room.

(2) Poreda sucks. He sucked for us, he will suck for the Padres. Atleast in a starting role. Maybe, MAYBE he has Matt Thornton ceiling at the back end, but thats a long shot. He will never have a secondary pitch for his fastball, he was a mistake when we drafted him, and the best thing of his entire career will be being dealt for Peavy

(3) Richard is going to end up a Journeyman. He is a gritty back of the rotation pitcher. Nothing more, nothing less. The trade simply looks bad because Peavy has been terrible. We can still win the trade.

DumpJerry
05-07-2010, 05:06 PM
So, if this solitary Padre fan's view is taken as gospel, I am under the understanding that Poreda and Richard are more valuable assets than Peavy.

Must be true. The Sox are in third place, the Padres are .5 game out of first.
Darn you, Kenny!

veeter
05-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't think this trade is measureable. Pitching in the NL is a cakewalk compared to working your way through a hellish AL lineup.

Craig Grebeck
05-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't think this trade is measureable. Pitching in the NL is a cakewalk compared to working your way through a hellish AL lineup.
Well that's a pretty convenient excuse.

Craig Grebeck
05-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I have many issues with this article.

First of all, Poreda was in the first round of major league cuts this spring with the Pads, not amongst the last. He had a terrible spring and he's not progressing in AA, with 12 walks and 8 strikeouts in 13 innings. That is not going to cut it. Russell has a 9.00 ERA in AAA. He never seemed a difference maker to me, not even close. Carter has a 4:68 ERA with a 1-3 record in low A ball. These three have all regressed since leaving the Sox.

Now Richard has had his moments and may yet develop into a dependable starter. But, thanks, I'll take Jake, and so would any sane GM.
Contracts aside, yes. Contracts in mind, no.

Rdy2PlayBall
05-08-2010, 03:23 PM
The Padres should like Richard. He's a lefty with pretty decent stuff. He can't field his position worth a lick, but he's tough when he's getting the ball over the plate. He's a nice No. 3 or No. 4 starter.OMG remember all those throws all over the place to 1B? It was the saddest thing ever! :rolling:

mzh
05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
OMG remember all those throws all over the place to 1B? It was the saddest thing ever! :rolling:
And he was a college quarterback too! Hawk could not resist bringing that up every time that happened.

Rdy2PlayBall
05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
And he was a college quarterback too! Hawk could not resist bringing that up every time that happened.EVERY TIME!

Also, Hawk began to say "TAKE it easy, take it easy!..." every time he got his hands on the ball. Then he would be so proud if Clayton managed to throw the ball in PK's direction. :redface: