PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Question

shenk16
05-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I apologize if this question has been answered before, but does anyone know if the White Sox still publish the hotels that they stay in on the road in the media guide?

I am planning on making the Pittsburgh/DC trip and I have no idea what hotels are nice in either area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

WhiteSoxFTW
05-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I am thinking about making the Pittsburgh/DC road trip as well this year, but I have no idea where to begin.

Marqhead
05-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I am thinking about making the Pittsburgh/DC road trip as well this year, but I have no idea where to begin.

I've planned a trip of my own this year, It's not too hard.

How many games do you want to go to? Which days?
Flying or driving? Rental car?
Hotel accommodations (Do you want to stay where the Sox stay or a cheaper place that might be out of the way?)
Tickets. Things to do in Pitt/DC when not at the games. Good places to eat.

First figure out the dates and the travel arrangements/schedule. The rest comes pretty easily.

soxlady8
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't know anything about the DC area , but this is what I did when I went to Spring Training in Arizona. I had never been to Arizona/Phoenix prior to that --

1. compared airfares via travelocity/expedia/ etc. etc.
2. got my car rental from my favorite company , which is usually the cheapest (Thrifty)
3. used tripadvisor to help find a hotel
4. researched Scottsdale , Glendale , and Phoenix through various web sites

It took alot of time and effort researching , but it was so well worth it --

good luck w the planning !!

05-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Planning it is almost the funnest part.

downstairs
05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Wow, I never knew the Sox (or any team) actually published the hotel they were staying at? Seems like a risk in today's security-conscious world.

At the same time, I'd assume they have a deal with one national hotel chain to always stay in their hotels? Most companies do that. I had a family friend that stayed in Hilton 100% of the time because his company got a discount.

soxlady8
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
about the planning:)

I spent 5 hours researching /planning my trip for Phoenix and
it was soooo worth it !!!!!!!

DumpJerry
05-06-2010, 06:36 PM
They used to publish it, but stopped about two years ago. The new guide came out this week, but I doubt it is in there.

LauraJ14
05-06-2010, 08:50 PM
The media guide used to have the hotels where the Sox stayed but it has not been in there for the last several years.
I am going to DC to see the Sox in June, hotel prices there are not cheap unless you stay out in suburbs or near the airport. A number of the 4 star hotels in DC run $400-$600 a night. But it seems like the weekend prices drop a lot so if you are going just for the weekend you might find a good deal. I am not planning on driving as the last time we went there it was not a fun experience, got lost, couldn't find parking, parking at hotel was very expensive. So we are going to walk and take the Metro to the ballpark.

djcollie03
05-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Seems like a lot of people have the same idea. We'll be headed out to Pittsburgh and DC for the Thursday/Friday evening games. There is a lot to do in Pittsburgh - Carson Street is a pretty fun area, Primanti Brothers sandwiches... etc. Really beautiful ballpark and great view of downtown. There are a few hotel choices in that area... we're staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

As for DC, I haven't been able to find anything very reasonable. There also is almost no information about places to go around Nationals Park. Seems a bit like US Cellular - a few places but, not that much around.

Harry Potter
05-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Planning it is almost the funnest part.

Definitely agree with you there!

I'm also making the Pittsburgh/DC trip with a stop in Philly in between (the Phillies are home against the Twins that weekend)

Tues 6/15 - Sox/Pirates game or spend the night seeing Pittsburgh (thanks for the suggestions DJ!) Primanti Brothers is definitely on the agenda!
Weds 6/16 - Sox/Pirates game
Thurs 6/17 - Drive to Philly, spend the night in Philly (probably cheesesteak coma)
Friday 6/18 - Phillies/Twins game
Saturday 6/19 - Sox/Nationals game

As far as hotels, staying at a Hampton Inn in Pittsburgh and a Westin in Philadelphia (courtesy of frequent flyer/hotel points).

Taking an early flight home on Sunday, so it was cheaper to drive an hour north up to Maryland after the game, and fly home first thing out of BWI back to Chicago.

shenk16
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks to all of the great suggestions and ideas! I have a friend that has a connection with the Doubletree so I might end up going that route in both cities to save some money.

I also thought about making a stop in Philly, but I am hoping to knock out Philly and Baltimore one of these years. Is there any way of figuring out when the Sox will visit Philly or is the interleague schedule somewhat random?

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks to all of the great suggestions and ideas! I have a friend that has a connection with the Doubletree so I might end up going that route in both cities to save some money.

I also thought about making a stop in Philly, but I am hoping to knock out Philly and Baltimore one of these years. Is there any way of figuring out when the Sox will visit Philly or is the interleague schedule somewhat random?

Can't go wrong with Doubltree. My favorite hotel chain out there.

DSpivack
05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Seems like a lot of people have the same idea. We'll be headed out to Pittsburgh and DC for the Thursday/Friday evening games. There is a lot to do in Pittsburgh - Carson Street is a pretty fun area, Primanti Brothers sandwiches... etc. Really beautiful ballpark and great view of downtown. There are a few hotel choices in that area... we're staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

As for DC, I haven't been able to find anything very reasonable. There also is almost no information about places to go around Nationals Park. Seems a bit like US Cellular - a few places but, not that much around.

There is pretty much absolutely nothing around Nats Park.

As for affordable hotels, maybe check out Crystal City? It's just across the river from DC, across the metro tracks from National Airport, and has a ton of hotels. My sister is good at bargain-hunting for hotels [basically this just involves a lot of internet research] and once found a good deal at an Embassy Suites in the district [the one on the northern edge of downtown is brand new, nicer than the one by Dupont Circle]. There are a lot of places to stay around the area, although DC is a more expensive city than Chicago.