PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That's a Series winner 5/5 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Ugly numbers coming in against KC for years, especially with a few guys in the lineup having very solid numbers against him.

Freddie earned this win. A true blue-collar, sweat it out effort. Nice job Freddie!!!:gulp:

I've said it before and I heard Steve Stone say it too tonight: Andruw Jones looks like he is enjoying baseball again.

And for the team, a series win!!!:bandance::bandance:

vinny
Great game.

Freddy was decent through 6, we got clutch hits and drove in runners, the bullpen did their job.

Great series win. Bring on the Jays!

:soxwin:

Frater Perdurabo
Awesome!

thomas35forever
05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Easy victory, but I was still apprehensive a bit due to the nature of this team. Nonetheless, I'll take it.

october23sp
05-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I approve, I really wanted the sweep though.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
I can see a scenario where if the Sox can get themselves to .500 by the end of this month, then they can take advantage of a seemingly easy June and early July schedule to get themselves to 9 or 10 games over .500 by the All-Star break.

guillen4life13
05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Good God, after every game at least 3 "Official" threads show up. Hehehe. Which one is actually official?

Well, the Sox put up 9 today.

I'd expect that the Sox put up 2 runs, at most, tomorrow.

White Sox Baseball: All or nothing since 2002 (except that one year).

guillensdisciple
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Alex Rios just proclaimed the Sox will be going on a run. I am very easy to persuade.

Let's do work!

WhiteSox5187
I hope that this is the precursor of good things to come, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Frater Perdurabo
Rios needs to be hitting third, in front of Paulie and Jones.

KMcMahon817
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Alex said the Sox are going on a run. I agree. :D:

soxinem1
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I can see a scenario where if the Sox can get themselves to .500 by the end of this month, then they can take advantage of a seemingly easy June and early July schedule to get themselves to 9 or 10 games over .500 by the All-Star break.

If they develop consistency.

They should start with the team motto: small ball on paper, Long Ball at heart.

Leading MLB in HR's. So much for small ball, smart ball, little ball.

Slappy
05-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Rios needs to be hitting third, in front of Paulie and Jones.

Agreed.

And Beckham still isn't hitting. Move him down, already.

Anyway, nice win.

KMcMahon817
The other thread titles were better. :cool:

Rdy2PlayBall
If they develop consistency.

Leading MLB in HR's. So much for small ball, smart ball, little ball.That could go along with "It's black and white" ... pretty good idea. :cool:

can I steal it??? :o

PhillipsBubba
05-05-2010, 10:51 PM
No doubt....at least 15 in a row...:?:

vinny
05-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Leading MLB in HR's. So much for small ball, smart ball, little ball.
Hey, leading the majors in SB too. There's some small ball going on there, and if Pierre is starting to wake up there's bound to be more where that came from.

johnnyg83
05-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Good win, Freddy. This was the one I would have predicted we'd lose if you'd asked me on Sunday.

veeter
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
The bats are coming around. Since starting 5-11, the Sox have gone 7-5. I'm dipping my crumbling cookie in my milk again Voodoo.

NDSox12
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Good win. Only the second series win, but the second consecutive at home. Let's make it three this weekend!

guillensdisciple
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Overheard on the radio tonight, but B and B were talking about the White Sox and their hitting woes and said that the White Sox are last in the bigs in strikeouts and one of the worst in obp.

We're hitting the ball, just not fighting the open spots. That will begin happening so long as we keep putting the ball in play (according to my pee wee coach).

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2010, 11:08 PM
It's a series win!

Will not get back into this until we start piling up series wins.

We need 3 of 4 vs Tor.

No less.

Time to go on a run.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Well at least they are better than the Royals...

Lip

Hegewisch
05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
:D:Great Game ! Of course, I never know what team is going to show up at every game. This is a CRUEL soap opera !!!:scratch:

P.S. Listening to the radio game broadcast tonight seemed better. Perhaps, the game had more action or, life in it. Also, when that Moose joined the broadcast team during the game that livened it up !:bandance:

Frankfan4life
05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow, did I just dream that???? I actually enjoyed the game from start to finish. It's been a long time since the Sox have had a good lead and maintained it. Nicely done!

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I think the outing today gives Freddy more quality starts tan Buehrle, Peavy, and Floyd.

Domeshot17
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Its hard to get excited when you are 7 back already. Good win, but I just don't excited over 1 game winning streaks, even if Alex Rios tells me too.

JB98
05-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Sox have had good success against Bannister over the last few years. Of course, the Royals have had success against Garcia as well.

Fortunately, it all worked out in our favor.

sox1970
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Now is the time to get hot. Win 3 of 4 against the Jays, and then go up to Minnesota and win both games, then go to KC and win 2 of 3. That would get them back to over .500 and cut into the lead.

The Immigrant
05-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Nice to see that all of our resident wet blankets took the time to post in this thread. :rolleyes:

UChicagoHP
05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Agreed.

And Beckham still isn't hitting. Move him down, already.

Anyway, nice win.

Mos def, pressure is killing the kid, put him 8th or 9th and let him develop like a normal 1st or 2nd year player. If he is still hitting .220-.240 come July 1...time to send him down, unfortunately. Or maybe they let him suck all year, but I think that would be terrible for the kid.

Oh well, no need to be negative. I love this team, and I really think they will be 9 or 10 over .500 by August 1st. :gulp:

Rios/Jones/Paulie/Burls/Peavy/Jenks...like 'em all

Only players I'm not too fond of at the moment(and I know they aren't the only ones stinking up the joint...Burls..ahem...looking at you bud. Unaccetable...pitching like a bum) are Pierre(and he will be fine, BABIP tells all), Beckham(not as sure 'bout this guy), and Floyd's sorry butt...

Boondock Saint
05-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Mos def, pressure is killing the kid, put him 8th or 9th and let him develop like a normal 1st or 2nd year player. If he is still hitting .220-.240 come July 1...time to send him down, unfortunately. Or maybe they let him suck all year, but I think that would be terrible for the kid.

Oh well, no need to be negative. I love this team, and I really think they will be 9 or 10 over .500 by August 1st. :gulp:

Rios/Jones/Paulie/Burls/Peavy/Jenks...like 'em all

Only players I'm not too fond of at the moment(and I know they aren't the only ones stinking up the joint...Burls..ahem...looking at you bud. Unaccetable...pitching like a bum) are Pierre(and he will be fine, BABIP tells all), Beckham(not as sure 'bout this guy), and Floyd's sorry butt...

Zero chance Beckham gets sent down. There's nobody to take his spot that's an every day player. Nix and Vizquel are a downgrade, no matter how poorly Beckham is hitting.

twinsuck
05-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Easy win! I hope this starts a good run, but this team is so bipolar. One day I think they're on the right track and the next day I can hardly watch. Which is it???

WhiteSox1989
05-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Good weather, good game, good night. That about sums it up.

WhiteSox1989
05-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh, and I really dig Alex Rios.

hi im skot
05-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I was at the game and (obviously) joined the crowd in standing when Bobby recorded the second out of the ninth. As I stood a woman sitting behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "EXCUSE ME! I CAN'T SEE WITH YOU STANDING UP!"

I can safely say it was the first time I've been chided for standing and cheering with two outs in the ninth.

Anyway, nice win. Keep it going, guys.

WhiteSox1989
05-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I was at the game and (obviously) joined the crowd in standing when Bobby recorded the second out of the ninth. As I stood a woman sitting behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "EXCUSE ME! I CAN'T SEE WITH YOU STANDING UP!"

I can safely say it was the first time I've been chided for standing and cheering with two outs in the ninth.

Anyway, nice win. Keep it going, guys.
I hope you remained standing.

hi im skot
05-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I hope you remained standing.

Of course. I also (not so) politely explained how baseball works.

GoGoCrede
05-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Just got back from my good friend's graduation. It was dull as dishwater (although I'm happy for her), but I was happy to keep receiving score updates. I'm glad we won the series. Jeez, Garcia has been wonderful for us, hasn't he?

Did anything particularly earth-shattering happen during the game that I should know about? Besides the fact that the offense showed up?

Rdy2PlayBall
05-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Of course. I also (not so) politely explained how baseball works.Haha, I can definitely see that exact situation. xD
Did she notice probably more than half the crowd was standing? Or were you the lone person standing in your section? :tongue:

GoGoCrede
05-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I think the outing today gives Freddy more quality starts tan Buehrle, Peavy, and Floyd.

That's kind of sad. But the huge Pollyanna in me is thinking, "Man, when those three hit their stride, and Danks continues to shine, and Garcia keeps this up....we'll be rolling." :gulp:

soltrain21
05-06-2010, 12:23 AM
They win games I don't watch.

GoGoCrede
05-06-2010, 12:25 AM

You know what the obvious solution is, then.

october23sp
05-06-2010, 12:26 AM

Me too, however I saw Rios's homer just as it was leaving the yard.

SephClone89
05-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Dad ended up getting out of work eventually and we were able to make it to the game and only missed two innings! We had good seats and the game was very fun. A lot of people on the first base line were WAY too concerned with this Cubs douchebag who was there, though...

russ99
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Zero chance Beckham gets sent down. There's nobody to take his spot that's an every day player. Nix and Vizquel are a downgrade, no matter how poorly Beckham is hitting.

May not be a bad idea. Give the kid a chance to get his swing back without all the pressure. But I agree, Ozzie should give him a day off, then a few days in the 8 spot first before wasting an option.

If Bacon needs to hit AAA for a few weeks, Teahen could go back to 2B and Nix/Viz bat 9th and play 3rd.

GoGoCrede
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Dad ended up getting out of work eventually and we were able to make it to the game and only missed two innings! We had good seats and the game was very fun. A lot of people on the first base line were WAY too concerned with this Cubs douchebag who was there, though...

When I was at Monday's game people were more worried about doing the wave than watching the game. It was super annoying. Circled around the stadium at least six times.

pudge
05-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Now is the time to get hot. Win 3 of 4 against the Jays, and then go up to Minnesota and win both games, then go to KC and win 2 of 3. That would get them back to over .500 and cut into the lead.

That is a whole bleepin' lot of wishful thinking. You're asking a team that hasn't look very good so far to win 7 of 9. I'll have what you're drinking!

:gulp:

jabrch
05-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Easy win! I hope this starts a good run, but this team is so bipolar. One day I think they're on the right track and the next day I can hardly watch. Which is it???

It's not just the team that is bipolar. The fans are as well.

guillensdisciple
05-06-2010, 01:35 AM

Quoted for truth.

I am one of the bipolars.

bunty_doghunter
05-06-2010, 01:56 AM
That is a whole bleepin' lot of wishful thinking. You're asking a team that hasn't look very good so far to win 7 of 9. I'll have what you're drinking!

:gulp:
After our 3 against KC and Minnesota's 3 v. Detroit, we're a game further out. We have a lot of work to do.

Boondock Saint
05-06-2010, 02:04 AM
After our 3 against KC and Minnesota's 3 v. Detroit, we're a game further out. We have a lot of work to do.

Scoreboard watching in May is absurd. The only thing you worry about is winning.

hawkjt
05-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Bunching some hits for a change...thatsa nice.
Two out rbi hits like PK's are so big also.
We own Bannister.
Now, here comes Eveland...he owned the sox a few weeks ago:whiner:
Danks has to bring his A game tomorrow.
Jays are hot...ouch.

Danks has been solid,Peavy is showing signs and Freddy has thrown well 4 of 5 starts...altho I hope they can skip him to refresh his arm next week.
We need MB and Gavin to snap outta it.
Juan is showing signs of life.
AJ also.
Carlos also.
Rios is solid,as is Andruw and PK...and Teahen has come on.

Slowly, this team is showing some pulse...but ,gotta sustain it...take 3 of 4 from the Jays and I will have real belief.

kufram
05-06-2010, 03:54 AM
I hope the players and coaches are only thinking of ONE thing..... win TODAY'S game!

harwar
05-06-2010, 06:42 AM
a beautiful night for baseball .. i know it's KC and bannister is awful but it was fun all the same and i find myself looking forward to the jays, instead of dreading it .. Andruw & Alex are both having fun and raking .. nice to see mr. Pierre starting to come alive .. Beckham seems to be working the count better lately ..

wassagstdu
05-06-2010, 07:01 AM

Huh? This team isn't going anywhere, and if it is, it is not being helped by Beckham. His swing looks awful. If it's not an injury (wrist, elbow, shoulder, back???) that's discoordinating his swing, he needs to step back and work on it. Pretending the team is depending on him now could prevent him from working out his problem. The Sox do need him long term. Either he should go on the DL or be sent down.

doublem23
05-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Can we finally start winning some games now?

Lillian
05-06-2010, 08:07 AM
May not be a bad idea. Give the kid a chance to get his swing back without all the pressure. But I agree, Ozzie should give him a day off, then a few days in the 8 spot first before wasting an option.

If Bacon needs to hit AAA for a few weeks, Teahen could go back to 2B and Nix/Viz bat 9th and play 3rd.

I doubt any of that happens, but if it did, wouldn't the defense be much better with Nix or Vizquel at 2nd? Nix is a terrific fielder at that position but not very good at 3rd.
And if Vizquel were to play, we all know that he's great at SS, and pretty good at 2nd.

I don't like Teahen's defense in the infield, but I'd rather he stay at 3rd than mess up our double play combination.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Alex Rios just proclaimed the Sox will be going on a run. I am very easy to persuade.

Let's do work!

I'll be there tonight, praying the offense shows like it did for 2 of the 3 KC games.

Marqhead
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Much shorter post game thread. I can't tell if it's because the Hawks were playing or because we didn't lose. :redneck

Either way the Sox played a very complete game yesterday. Freddy wasn't that sharp, but he did what was necessary to get the W. I think any of us will take that kind of effort from the #5 guy every time he goes out.

Toronto is a beatable team, and our offense is heating up a little bit. I fully expect 3/4 against the Jays. We have start this run somewhere!

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Bingo! Sorry but I am not going to get giddy over a series win over THE ROYALS AT HOME.

Over By There
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Much shorter post game thread. I can't tell if it's because the Hawks were playing or because we didn't lose. :redneck

I was actually thinking the same thing - I bet if you did the research, you'd find that postgame threads after losses, on average, are much bigger.

I enjoyed the game last night for a couple of reasons. First, I definitely found myself thinking that the Sox are ready to put together a nice stretch.

The other reason is that my 6-year-old son was having trouble falling asleep last night, so I let him stay up and listen to the game on the radio with me. I got out the foul ball "he" caught at a Sox-Angels game last year and had him hold it, and we just talked about what was going on in the game and baseball in general. Definitely a special evening, made better by a White Sox winner. :smile:

kobo
05-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Fun times at the park last night. Nice to see the Sox jump out and grab an early lead. Alex Rios is becoming my favorite player on the team. The guy is smoking the ball right now and plays stellar defense, he's a ton of fun to watch. Wasn't sure if Jones got that guy at 2nd in the 4th, I think, but that was a great throw. After Rios' homer the group I was with went down to the Bullpen Bar to watch the Hawks. Just a ton of fun and a great night overall.

jabrch
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Very little to complain about...so a large number of the usual suspects won't show up until the next loss.

jabrch
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Bingo! Sorry but I am not going to get giddy over a series win over THE ROYALS AT HOME.

And you are 100% right that there is no reason to get "giddy" over it. But at the same time, there was no reason for people to get miserable over a loss to them on Tuesday either. That doesn't stop them.

To each their own... If White Sox Baseball made me as grouchy/miserable/whiney/complainy as it makes some folks, I'd give it up in a heartbeat...and not think twice about it. That's just me - obviously others look at it differently. I have enough misery in real life to not let my hobby add to it.

hi im skot
05-06-2010, 10:04 AM

If you can't enjoy a White Sox win, I feel sorry for you.

khan
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Huh? This team isn't going anywhere, and if it is, it is not being helped by Beckham. His swing looks awful. If it's not an injury (wrist, elbow, shoulder, back???) that's discoordinating his swing, he needs to step back and work on it. Pretending the team is depending on him now could prevent him from working out his problem. The Sox do need him long term. Either he should go on the DL or be sent down.

First, I'm still happy from last night's wins.

Second, to your post, I think KW has to step in and simply send Beckham down. Ozzie Guillen can't be trusted to make the supposedly difficult decision to move down a guy who's killing the offense. KW should just take Beckham away from Ozzie by sending him down to Charlotte, where he can figure out what's wrong with his swing. Beckham would then be more likely to be in a position to HELP this team.

The SOX will need Beckham to perform well for the team to do well. But it's clear to me that he's not figuring it out in MLB, and the coaching staff/manager are putting him in a position to fail. Heck, if it was OK to suggest that a veteran like Pierre was going to be moved down, why not a youngster like Beckham, too?

But Ozzie won't, and it is to the detriment of the player and of the team that Ozzie puts [yet another] guy into a position to fail.

harwar
05-06-2010, 11:16 AM
If White Sox Baseball made me as grouchy/miserable/whiney/complainy

you forgot sneezy n sleepy n dopey

GoGoCrede
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM

:rolling:

WhiteSox1989
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Very little to complain about...so a large number of the usual suspects won't show up until the next loss.

The Sox won and it's beautiful out, people should be HAPPY. :smile:

SI1020
05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
If you can't enjoy a White Sox win, I feel sorry for you. There's a difference between not being euphoric about a series win over KC at home and not enjoying a win. I assume that almost everyone is here because of a hard core attachment to the Sox. Why do some expect everyone to react the same way? It's not going to happen. I try to enjoy the variety of posting styles, even the ones that may rip into me.

TDog
05-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Why not? That is no worse than going ballistic after losing one game to the Royals at home. Maybe Twins fans were disgusted that their team could only manage taking two out of three from the Royals at home before hitting the road the next weekend and, with a 12-inning win, managing to take two out of three from the Royals in Kansas City the next weekend.

Or maybe you want to go ballistic because even the Royals have beaten the Twins more than the White Sox have.

I totally missed Wednesday night's game. I got home and saw the score, read the accounts, saw the Sox knocked around a starting pitcher whose picture was in the White Sox media guide before he could talk. There is nothing to complain about. Garcia had a good game with quality start. I think Garcia might be second on the team in quality starts. That might be something to complain about, but only beating the Royals is not something to complain about.

spawn
05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Well played sir. :thumbsup:

jabrch
05-06-2010, 12:16 PM
There's a difference between not being euphoric about a series win over KC at home and not enjoying a win. I assume that almost everyone is here because of a hard core attachment to the Sox. Why do some expect everyone to react the same way? It's not going to happen. I try to enjoy the variety of posting styles, even the ones that may rip into me.

(I believe) Nobody expects that. I've never seen anyone say they expect that.

johnnyg83
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
(I believe) Nobody expects that. I've never seen anyone say they expect that.

Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition either.

ElevenUp
05-06-2010, 01:15 PM
http://firebreathingchristian.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/monty-python-spanish-inquisition.jpg?

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

pudge
05-06-2010, 01:57 PM

I don't think it's that surprising the threads are typically used for venting or getting some frustration out, more so than celebrating a rather unexciting win at this point. But, I also think if this team was 19-9, you'd have a much larger thread. The theme right now is frustration and disappointment, not celebration. If this was the 8th win of an 8-game winning streak, the thread would be much longer. You'll always have the douchebags who want to criticize the team when they're 19-9, but those are the fringe elements.

jabrch
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
The theme right now is frustration and disappointment

Unfortunately - you are right. If baseball was frustrating and disappointing, I'd stop following it.

SI1020
05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately - you are right. If baseball was frustrating and disappointing, I'd stop following it. It's a great game. The best in the world IMO. That doesn't change to the desire to win. Who wants to go 102 years without a championship? 88 was bad enough.

jabrch
05-06-2010, 02:27 PM
It's a great game. The best in the world IMO. That doesn't change to the desire to win. Who wants to go 102 years without a championship? 88 was bad enough.

What do either 88 or 102 have to do with 5?

#1swisher
05-06-2010, 03:22 PM
It's a great game. The best in the world IMO. That doesn't change to the desire to win. Who wants to go 102 years without a championship? 88 was bad enough.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" comes to mind.

soxlady8
05-06-2010, 06:50 PM
:)

and a series win ---

that is two now right ?

we need MORE !

SI1020
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
What do either 88 or 102 have to do with 5? Yeah I'll go for that. A Sox WS win every 5 years or so would be great.