PDA

View Full Version : Jose Contreras

JermaineDye05
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Just saw him pitching against the Cardinals in the 9th, getting it up 97-98 at times.

So far this year here's 2-1 with a 1.17 ERA and 14 K's in 7.2 IP (Not factoring in tonight's 1-2-3 inning).

Nice to see Jose doing well for the Phillies.

WhiteSox5187
05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
It is. The guy pitches with a lot of guts.

Rdy2PlayBall
05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I always liked him. I felt SOOOOO bad when he worked so hard to come back quickly, then rolled his ankle. I hated how he had those bad outings last year, because the guy still has potential to be good. Maybe just NL potential, but that's better than nothing. I'm not hoping for a Cy Young... because then ESPN will make us out to look like idiots for letting him go... but I do hope he finishes his career off strongly.

Slappy
05-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I knew he would make an excellent middle relief/closer, since he has good stuff still, it's just he doesn't have the endurance to go 7 or 8 innings.

I picked him up for fantasy a couple days ago. With dual eligibility and his strike out rate, he can turn out to be a steal for me.

pythons007
05-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I knew he would make an excellent middle relief/closer, since he has good stuff still, it's just he doesn't have the endurance to go 7 or 8 innings.

I picked him up for fantasy a couple days ago. With dual eligibility and his strike out rate, he can turn out to be a steal for me.

Cy young you don't have to worry about. He is pitching well though and could be in for another world series.

Rdy2PlayBall
05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Cy young you don't have to worry about. He is pitching well though and could be in for another world series.Did you mean to reply to me? I doubt he will get the Cy young, haha, I was just trying to give you an idea of how well I want him to do. Another world series appearance for him would be nice... even better against our Sox. :cool:

There is a much better chance he get's in there than us though. :(:

balke
05-05-2010, 11:39 PM
hehe - I just came to the site to post the same thread. Jose's doing great for the Phillies. He has amazing stuff and is much better than his results here were at times. I wish he could be doing some relief work for the Sox - but to be fair we don't really need him right now.

GoGoCrede
05-06-2010, 12:10 AM
I love him so much. It was really, really tough to see him struggle for us last season and to listen to people booing him.

I'm glad he's doing well. May you live long and prosper, Jose.

Boondock Saint
05-06-2010, 12:19 AM
hehe - I just came to the site to post the same thread. Jose's doing great for the Phillies. He has amazing stuff and is much better than his results here were at times. I wish he could be doing some relief work for the Sox - but to be fair we don't really need him right now.

We could absolutely use the Jose Contreras that's pitching right now in our bullpen. We have nobody in the bullpen that can go 3-4 innings at all right now, let alone one that's pitching as well as he is. But KW made the right decision to cut bait with him last year. You can't keep hoping for a turn around, it's best to move on.

Chez
05-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm happy for Jose. I haven't seen him pitch this year. Is he still dropping done on his arm angle as frequently as he did last season? I thought he was more effective when he minimized the number of times he droppped down.

soxinem1
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
We could absolutely use the Jose Contreras that's pitching right now in our bullpen. We have nobody in the bullpen that can go 3-4 innings at all right now, let alone one that's pitching as well as he is. But KW made the right decision to cut bait with him last year. You can't keep hoping for a turn around, it's best to move on.

Touche. Nothing against the guy, but I'm glad he's gone.

From mid-way 2005 to mid-way 2006 he was one of the best in all of MLB, but before and after that was quite a dissapointment.

A change in role and scenery can do wonders.

Danielgosox38
05-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Jose has been pretty much lights out since becoming a reliever. I just thought it was neat that Jose is having success. I've always liked Jose. Since his role change with the Rockies he has posted a 0.95 ERA. He's been a solid reliever.

WhiteSox1989
05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Good for him, I've always like Jose.

I'll never forget the game against Boston in, I think, '08 when he got hurt again. Felt awful for him.

Coops4Aces
05-12-2010, 12:41 AM
There is a Jose Contreras thread already on the first page :redneck

But the guy has been awesome and I'm happy for him. But this just strengthens the AL vs NL argument.

twinsuck
05-12-2010, 12:46 AM
I thought he was with the Phillies now.

Slappy
05-12-2010, 12:59 AM
There is a Jose Contreras thread already on the first page :redneck

But the guy has been awesome and I'm happy for him. But this just strengthens the AL vs NL argument.

It actually strengthens the argument that Jose didn't have the stamina to go 7 or 8 innings anymore, more. He can do a pretty good job for 1-2 innings, and he has been doing just that.

chisox616
05-12-2010, 01:11 AM
I thought he was with the Phillies now.

He is. But his career as a reliever began with the Rockies last year.

VMSNS
05-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Good for him, I've always like Jose.

I'll never forget the game against Boston in, I think, '08 when he got hurt again. Felt awful for him.

Yeah, I remember that too. Before he got injured in that game, he was absolutely dominating.

Kind of ironic that the game against Boston last year when Jose threw that ball over Konerko's head was also the game that sealed his fate with the White Sox.

Anyway, I always liked Jose. Seems like a super-nice guy, and a hard worker. I wish him the best. Maybe he'll win another WS ring with the Phillies.

doublem23
05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I think what hampers most guys who have been starters for the majority of their careers when they're in the bullpen is that they don't take it seriously, or feel it is beneath them. Especially when converted starters are only appearing in mop-up or setup roles. But a guy like Jose, with all his stuff and now not having to worry about saving his arm for 7+ innings of work can be very effective. Really shows, IMO, the class he has, and the willingness he shows to work in a role that most feel is a demotion.

I'm still cool with the Phillies, too. Aside from their team being overall pretty likeable, I don't really have much of a beef with their fans, even though they're total asshats. I think the majority of them are just very passionate that sometimes get painted in with the bag of losers. As a Sox fan, I know how frustrating it is to be represented by jagbags like the Ligues.

VMSNS
05-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I think what hampers most guys who have been starters for the majority of their careers when they're in the bullpen is that they don't take it seriously, or feel it is beneath them. Especially when converted starters are only appearing in mop-up or setup roles. But a guy like Jose, with all his stuff and now not having to worry about saving his arm for 7+ innings of work can be very effective. Really shows, IMO, the class he has, and the willingness he shows to work in a role that most feel is a demotion.

I'm still cool with the Phillies, too. Aside from their team being overall pretty likeable, I don't really have much of a beef with their fans, even though they're total asshats. I think the majority of them are just very passionate that sometimes get painted in with the bag of losers. As a Sox fan, I know how frustrating it is to be represented by jagbags like the Ligues.

Agreed, they are a very likeable team. And a good one, at that. I especially liked them after I saw that video of them celebrating in their clubhouse after Burls threw his perfecto. :D:

thomas35forever
05-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Jose picked up his first career save tonight. Congrats!
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100515&content_id=10060596&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi