PDA

View Full Version : Who doesn't have the green light?

pythons007
05-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Just looking at team stats and saw the lone bright spot the White Sox offense has produced is that they are 1st in stolen bases.

Just a funny thing to look at is Pierre has 12 stolen bases but has an OBP of .271. That is just crazy, basically if he's on first with no one on second he's going to steal.

Some offense is also starting to come around. Rios is almost at .300 as is Konerko. Jones has been a definate spark plug and running like it was 2000 again.

Just trying to look at some bright spots as its so easy to focus on the negatives (especially here on WSI). I still am a firm believer that this offense is better than what has been produced in the last month.

There just needs to be a little bit more consistancy out of the pitching as well as the hitting. Better things are on the horizion.

chisox616
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I was so baffled when the Royals broadcasters said that the Sox led the league in stolen bases...it's just so strange, foreign even!

Is there a team that's pretty close to our total? I gotta imagine the Mariners with Ichiro and Figgins as well as the Rays should be up there.

eriqjaffe
05-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Is there a team that's pretty close to our total? I gotta imagine the Mariners with Ichiro and Figgins as well as the Rays should be up there.The Padres and Sox both have 31 stolen bases. The Sox have been caught stealing twice as many times (12) as the Pads have - that's a staggering 84% success rate for San Diego, BTW.

The next AL team is Tampa Bay with 25.

The Sox also lead the AL in getting hit by pitches with 13.

veeter
05-04-2010, 05:53 PM
When's the last time a team lead the league in stolen bases and homeruns?

Britt Burns
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
And we're near the top for HR's and have all of 2 triples. Pierre and maybe Beckham aside, this isn't a team that shouldn't be stealing that many bases. How many times have we been thrown out--12? Does anyone really believe our offense is putting the slightest bit of pressure on pitchers because we run a little more than most teams?

I think this is part of the seemingly neverending and not completely explicable lust for KW and/or Ozzie to field an old-school NL type offense, one result of which left us with the feeble-batting Kotsay as a DH and Thome in Minnesota. I can understand wanting not to be one dimensional and I think that is an admirable goal, but sometimes I think that is pursued to ridiculous ends.

asindc
05-04-2010, 07:00 PM
And we're near the top for HR's and have all of 2 triples. Pierre and maybe Beckham aside, this isn't a team that shouldn't be stealing that many bases. How many times have we been thrown out--12? Does anyone really believe our offense is putting the slightest bit of pressure on pitchers because we run a little more than most teams?

I think this is part of the seemingly neverending and not completely explicable lust for KW and/or Ozzie to field an old-school NL type offense, one result of which left us with the feeble-batting Kotsay as a DH and Thome in Minnesota. I can understand wanting not to be one dimensional and I think that is an admirable goal, but sometimes I think that is pursued to ridiculous ends.

You don't want Rios and Alexei trying to steal?

Tragg
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
And we're near the top for HR's and have all of 2 triples. Pierre and maybe Beckham aside, this isn't a team that shouldn't be stealing that many bases. .

What's the point of the top of the order stealing with Konerko and Jones hitting behind them?

The bottom of the order should try to steal, so that if Pierre dinks one into left, we may score a run.

KMcMahon817
05-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Thome is not the answer. Not saying there weren't better options out there, but Jones has been great and was really our dh until he played himself into the outfield. Having Pierre, TCQ, Paulie and occasionally Kotsay DH is not all that bad at all.

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
When was the last time a team led the league in homers and steals, but was dead last in batting average?

pythons007
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
When was the last time a team led the league in homers and steals, but was dead last in batting average?

That my friend is the million dollar quesiton!:scratch:

russ99
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM

If the run producers in the lineup had been producing, than there's no problem with an "old-school NL type offense".

But I guess all the AL-style homer or nothing fans have no problem with all the guys left on base by Quentin, Konerko, Jones and Rios...

hi im skot
05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
If the run producers in the lineup had been producing, than there's no problem with an "old-school NL type offense".

But I guess all the AL-style homer or nothing fans have no problem with all the guys left on base by Quentin, Konerko, Jones and Rios...

It's a little silly to throw Jones, Konerko and Rios under the bus. Sure, they've stranded guys, but they're also the only ones who have done jack-**** offensively this season.

illinibk
05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
What's the point of the top of the order stealing with Konerko and Jones hitting behind them?

The bottom of the order should try to steal, so that if Pierre dinks one into left, we may score a run.
Because Konerko and Jones won't hit a home run every time they come to the plate. If Pierre steals second, he can score on a single from Jones or Konerko, where as if he stayed stationary he would need a double or more to score. The same rationale you use for the bottom of the order trying to steal can easily be used by the top of the order. Paulie and Andruw will not always hit home runs so getting guys in scoring position for the heart of the lineup should be a focal point.

eriqjaffe
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
The bottom of the order should try to steal, so that if Pierre dinks one into left, we may score a run.That's a pretty big "if". :rolleyes:

TDog
05-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Just a funny thing to look at is Pierre has 12 stolen bases but has an OBP of .271. That is just crazy, basically if he's on first with no one on second he's going to steal. ...

That is not as crazy as the White Sox, the last time I looked, being last in on-base percentage and first in grounding into doubleplays. You factor in that the stolen bases and the home runs figured into the on-base percentage, and those numbers are just staggering. Even Pierre has grounded into doubleplays. A lot of it has to be tough luck. You don't turn doubleplays on Pierre, or even Rios or Kotsay, on weakly hit ground balls.

Some of the running isn't players going because they believe they can steal. Because the White Sox are grounding into so many doubleplays, Guillen has sent some runners on 3-2 counts with one out. Pierzynski was caught stealing Monday night in such a situation with Teahen up. I don't think that's a great move because Teahen has been striking out so much, but doubleplays have seemed so inevitable this season. I don't know if there have been many missed hit and runs resulting in runners being caught stealing. The failed hit-and-runs I've noticed have been fouled off if not put into play fair. Sometimes it's hard to tell, especially games I follow online, whether a runner is going on a hit-and-run or is attempting a straight steal.

The Padres, referenced in this thread for their running success, have been phenomenal at playing the type of baseball the White Sox should be playing this year. The last time I looked they were leading the NL in pitching shutouts. Some will shrug and say that's evidence of AL superiority, that Jon Garland having an ERA of 2.06 and Clayton Richard having an ERA of 3 proves their starting pitching isn't that good, certainly not as good as a staff led by former Padre Jake Peavy.

But the Padres are winning with their stolen bases.

veeter
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
This is how you handle KC. The bats are coming around. Since the 5-11 start, the Sox have gone 7-5. I'm searching for the little conquests.

SOXSINCE'70
05-06-2010, 06:21 AM
:walnuts

"I don't have the "green light" . :D:

WizardsofOzzie
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
:walnuts

"I don't have the "green light" . :D:

He does have an 80% career SB %.....Give Paulie the green light!! :D: