PDA

View Full Version : Fan tasered for running onto field

Rocky Soprano
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
A 17 year old fan was tasered for running onto the field at Citizens Bank Park, there's even some video of it:

http://www.the700level.com/2010/05/new-video-fan-tasered-for-running-onto-field-at-citizens-bank-park.html

Fans have no excuse for running onto the field but I think the tasering may be a bit much, on the other hand maybe it will deter other morons from doing the same.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I read the Yahoo! article about it earlier and of course they couldn't let go of the Tom Gamboa incident here.

05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I think anyone who runs on the field should be subject to being tasered in the middle of the outfield so everyone can watch.

Coops4Aces
05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I love it. Taser him on national TV and then throw the book at him in court. I'm tired of these idiots.

Rudy Law
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Maybe this will make any other drunk morons think twice before doing this....

WizardsofOzzie
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Hahaha, that's funny. I don't care if the force was "excessive", everyone knows you're not supposed to go on the field and yet people still do it. One of these days a player is going to be injured by one of these morons, and then people will cry why more wasn't done to stop them. Maybe if people get tasered, they'll think twice about running around on the field like a drunken idiot. This guy didn't even have the drunk excuse (most likely) as he was only 17.

The Immigrant
05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
This kid posed no threat to anyone and there was no reason to taser him. The amount of money the Phillies will end up paying his family should ensure that this is the last time you see a taser used in this situation. There was no need for it.

Running on the field is against the law and I fully support throwing the book at the idiots who do it (this one was charged with trespass, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, etc.), but it doesn't warrant physical harm. Not every offense merits having 1200 volts of electricity frying your insides. If you believe it does, I hope you're not in law enforcement.

beasly213
05-04-2010, 12:02 PM
"Fan" deserved to be "shocked" For all security knows this guy has a bomb on him or a gun or something else. They have to take every precaution.

Guys a moron and deserves what he got.

beasly213
05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
This kid posed no threat to anyone and there was no reason to taser him. The amount of money the Phillies will end up paying his family should ensure that this is the last time you see a taser used in this situation. There was no need for it.

Running on the field is against the law and I fully support throwing the book at the idiots who do it (this one was charged with trespass, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, etc.), but it doesn't warrant physical harm. Not every offense merits having 1200 volts of electricity frying your insides. If you believe it does, I hope you're not in law enforcement.

How is security supposed to know for sure this kid was not a threat to anyone?

mantis1212
05-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I love it. Taser him on national TV and then throw the book at him in court. I'm tired of these idiots.

My thoughts exactly- I'm just pissed I can't see the video through my work server.

g0g0
05-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Funny as hell how he went down. A little excessive, but funny. Here's a good action shot of it:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/05/fan-tasered-after-running-onto-field-in-philly.html

Coops4Aces
05-04-2010, 12:48 PM

How do the cops know whether or not he has a gun or knife on him? With the way this world is, you can't take chances anymore.

VMSNS
05-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Why does everyone have to be so sensitive? The kid ran on the field and was acting like a moron and resisted arrest. Security guards have to take precautions during these types of situations, so they tased him. I see nothing wrong with what the guards did.

Besides, the kid is fine. He got right back up off the field after a few seconds. It's not like they were beating him senseless with night sticks or something.

Craig Grebeck
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure ESPN has asked every analyst, living or dead, about this. Come on.

The Immigrant
05-04-2010, 01:02 PM
How is security supposed to know for sure this kid was not a threat to anyone?

GMAB. He's running around the outfield like a drunken goofball and it's clear to everyone watching that he poses a threat to no one. Did you not watch the video? What aspect of this guy's behavior gives you any inclination that he's a threat? Besides, "how were we supposed to know?" is not the standard for use of a potentially deadly weapon.

spawn
05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
How do the cops know whether or not he has a gun or knife on him? With the way this world is, you can't take chances anymore.
Exactly. He thought he was being cool and funny running onto the field. I'll be he isn't laughing now.

mantis1212
05-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm OK with a "Run on the field, get tased" policy.

I do wonder, however, if eventually a fan arguing with security in the stands will get tased- as we know some of the security guards at the cell are jackasses and one would hope they don't feel a little more free to tase people.

GoGoCrede
05-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Exactly. He thought he was being cool and funny running onto the field. I'll be he isn't laughing now.

On the contrary, I bet this moron is probably loving all the attention he's getting, and the backlash the Phillies are receiving.

Bobby Thigpen
05-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Taser em all and let God sort em out!

Seriously, he deserved to get tasered. You make a conscious decision to do something like run onto the field? You make a conscious decision to take whatever consequences come along with that.

WhiteSox1989
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
He deserved to be tasered. What an idiot.

DumpJerry
05-04-2010, 01:46 PM
According to The Score, he called his dad and asked him if running on the field would be ok. His dad told him it would not be a good idea.

Listen to your dad!

Bobby Thigpen
05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
They mentioned this in a Yahoo article as well.

I'm 100% certain tasering would be the least of my troubles if my dad found out I had ran onto the field when I wasn't supposed to. Let alone calling him to ask if it was OK.

Coops4Aces
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
According to The Score, he called his dad and asked him if running on the field would be ok. His dad told him it would not be a good idea.

Listen to your dad!

This reminds me of a story (maybe made up, not sure) where a daughter called her father and asked what should you do if a condom breaks. He said,"Well the first thing I would do is not call my father." I hope I my kids don't end up being this stupid.

Gavin
05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
They should just tase anybody that looks like they might be doing something they shouldn't.

g0g0
05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm OK with a "Run on the field, get tased" policy.

I do wonder, however, if eventually a fan arguing with security in the stands will get tased- as we know some of the security guards at the cell are jackasses and one would hope they don't feel a little more free to tase people.

I wonder if you could get a chain reaction going and shock the whole row? :scratch::tongue:

soxfanatlanta
05-04-2010, 02:51 PM
They mentioned this in a Yahoo article as well.

I'm 100% certain tasering would be the least of my troubles if my dad found out I had ran onto the field when I wasn't supposed to. Let alone calling him to ask if it was OK.

You got that right. I would have asked to be put into protective custody if I pulled off that stunt.

(only slightly joking)

october23sp
05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Are people really trying to say the tasering was excessive? Tasers are safe people.

Foulke You
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I read the Yahoo! article about it earlier and of course they couldn't let go of the Tom Gamboa incident here.
We will be forever tied to those two criminal morons who weren't even baseball fans. Every time an incident like this happens, it gets brought up. In fact, Tim Kurkjian on ESPN couldn't wait more than 15 seconds before bringing it up when they asked him his opinion on the taser incident today on Sportscenter.

wilburaga
05-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I think the kid's elusiveness worked against him. The security guys didn't seem like they were going to catch him anytime soon, so the shooter decided to wrap this up.

Maybe they should keep an NFL cornerback on the security team to minimize chase time.

Foulke You
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I think the kid's elusiveness worked against him. The security guys didn't seem like they were going to catch him anytime soon, so the shooter decided to wrap this up.

Maybe they should keep an NFL cornerback on the security team to minimize chase time.
How about German Shepards? They would catch the slippery ones pretty quick.:tongue:

SI1020
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Maybe they should keep an NFL cornerback on the security team to minimize chase time. One with real good closing speed.

SI1020
05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Are people really trying to say the tasering was excessive? Tasers are safe people. Not necessarily. Just do a search and see what you come up with. Other than that I don't want to say anything else.

Max Power
05-04-2010, 04:13 PM
How about German Shepards? They would catch the slippery ones pretty quick.:tongue:

Mr. Burns: "Release the hounds."

Using the taser was probably a bit excessive in this case, but I have no tolerance for idiots running onto the field so I don't feel to sorry for this guy.

harwar
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
just use a redhawk .. end of problem ..

getonbckthr
05-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Chalk one up for the good guys.

chisox616
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I was watching this game live through the Cardinals broadcast when it happened. Dan & Al barely even mentioned the fact he was on the field, they just talked about how stupid of an idea it was and said he got tased.

The camera was focused on Yadier Molina the entire time (he was in the batter's box). It was pretty hilarious watching his reaction, he thought it was so funny and had this big goofy grin on his face the whole time, just watching the whole thing go down.

DumpJerry
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Are people really trying to say the tasering was excessive? Tasers are safe people.
First of all, Tasers are not people. :tongue:

Secondly, tell that to all the people who had heart attacks as a result of being Tasered. There is a growing body of research into how dangerous it is to be Tasered, especially if it is not done correctly.

Oblong
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
GMAB. He's running around the outfield like a drunken goofball and it's clear to everyone watching that he poses a threat to no one. Did you not watch the video? What aspect of this guy's behavior gives you any inclination that he's a threat? Besides, "how were we supposed to know?" is not the standard for use of a potentially deadly weapon.

So if a nut job really does want to do harm to a player the key is to have a towel and act lke a goofball, then when everybody's defense are down and thinks you are just a harmless kid out to have a good time, whip out your .32 and fire away.

Once you are on the field they have to assume you are up to no good and intend to hurt someone. If a person doesn't want that presumption made about them then don't run on the field.

dickallen15
05-04-2010, 05:26 PM
First of all, Tasers are not people. :tongue:

Secondly, tell that to all the people who had heart attacks as a result of being Tasered. There is a growing body of research into how dangerous it is to be Tasered, especially if it is not done correctly.

If you don't want to be exposed to a taser, there always is the don't bother to run out on the field option.

DumpJerry
05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
If you don't want to be exposed to a taser, there always is the don't bother to run out on the field option.
:scratch:? How is that a response to what I posted in response to the "Tasers are safe" post? I was not posting about the merits of this particular incident.

dickallen15
05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
:scratch:? How is that a response to what I posted in response to the "Tasers are safe" post? I was not posting about the merits of this particular incident.

Its also not safe to have people running around on the field. You never know, it could incite a lot more people to take the field. He also could be and I know this is a slim possibility, a decoy for someone else to take everyone's attention so that the other party may do something sinister.

I don't know if a taser is anymore unsafe than the usual punishment. A lot of these people get beaten silly when they are out of everyone's sight. "How many times did he fall down the stairs officer?" "Until he got it right."

Some get beaten on the field. There is video of someone taking the field during a Bears game a long time ago when Mike Ditka was playing. He leveled the guy when he came running his way. There was no outrage. He could have killed him.

I'm not a proponent of excessive force, but the kid is OK, the taser did what they wanted it to do. He walked away on his own power. Its actually nice to see people pay for their stupidity these days than getting paid for it.

Oblong
05-04-2010, 05:41 PM
It's also not always safe to have 3 or 4 guys tackling someone who isn't cooperating. Someone could land wrong on an ankle, dislocate a shoulder, or worse, break a neck. Is it rare? Sure. But it's also possible. Just like I'm sure it's possible to have a heart attack from a taser. But one person controls the situation when that happens, the guy running out on the field.

DumpJerry
05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
The security at Sox games throw a lasso at the miscreant causing him/her to fall down unable to run. No electric shocks to mess up the Heart's rhythm.

slavko
05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
We must be sure to apprehend someone who is committing a criminal act in a manner that ensures the safety of the perpetrator. Good taste would have it no other way. The victims? They can worry about themselves.

getonbckthr
05-04-2010, 06:36 PM
The security at Sox games throw a lasso at the miscreant causing him/her to fall down unable to run. No electric shocks to mess up the Heart's rhythm.
What if it gets his neck? It could snap it and kill him.... sorry devil's advocate.

Frontman
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Like any other time a person breaks a rule; they feel that the punishment is "too excessive."

Here's a novel idea; FOLLOW THE DANG RULE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

If you don't want to get tasered; don't go running onto the field.

If you don't want to get your license taken away, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!

If you don't want to get in trouble with the law; DON'T BREAK THE LAW!!!!!

I do laugh that here's the kid; on a television broadcast; his picture is clear as day as the tazer hits him in the MSNBC news story. Yet, due to his age; they won't release his name.

FOLKS, YOU CAN SEE HIS FACE!!!! I'm sure anyone who saw it and knew him WILL KNOW HIM!!!!

It's a novel concept to many, I'm sure; but DON'T ENTER THE FIELD OF PLAY, PERIOD!!!!!!

voodoochile
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
The thread title sucks.

He got tasered WHILE running on the field, not "for" running on the field. It wasn't his punishment, it was simply the safest way to bring him down for all concerned.

Sorry if tasers aren't 100% safe, hate to see some security guard break an arm or leg or worse a neck trying to tackle this douchebag.

He ran on the field, he got tasered. Now he gets to go to court and pay a hefty fine and maybe clean up trash on the side of the road for a month or something. Works for me...

Frontman
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
The thread title sucks.

He got tasered WHILE running on the field, not "for" running on the field. It wasn't his punishment, it was simply the safest way to bring him down for all concerned.

Sorry if tasers aren't 100% safe, hate to see some security guard break an arm or leg or worse a neck trying to tackle this douchebag.

He ran on the field, he got tasered. Now he gets to go to court and pay a hefty fine and maybe clean up trash on the side of the road for a month or something. Works for me...

Valid point, voodoo. But still; he got tazered for his efforts to be young and stupid. Had he kept his butt in his seat in the stands?

It wouldn't of happened.

rdwj
05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Perfectly reasonable response to an idiotic action. It should be the standard at all sporting events.

The "safety" arguments are silly. I've seen guys get tackled pretty hard by security during these types of altercations. The taser may or may not be safer for the person on the receiving end, but I'm more concerned with the safety of the security people - and it's certainly a better option for them.

If the guy tries to sue, I hope it it's thrown out of court and he's ordered to pay all court costs.

Boondock Saint
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Perfectly reasonable response to an idiotic action. It should be the standard at all sporting events.

The "safety" arguments are silly. I've seen guys get tackled pretty hard by security during these types of altercations. The taser may or may not be safer for the person on the receiving end, but I'm more concerned with the safety of the security people - and it's certainly a better option for them.

If the guy tries to sue, I hope it it's thrown out of court and he's ordered to pay all court costs.

Not a chance in hell he takes it to court. He called his dad in advance to see if it was a good idea. He knew full well that what he was doing was wrong, and did it anyway. The only thing he'll get in court is a freshly ripped *******, courtesy of the judge.

soxinem1
05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
http://media.nowpublic.net/images//3f/3/3f3971b473f948c5fb4158c21e9085d0.jpg

'Don't tase me Bro........ Don't tase me!!!'

Just like this jerk, he got what he deserved... If you want to act like an ass, pay the price.

Thome_Fan
05-04-2010, 08:49 PM

It causes no physical harm. It's hurts like hell and renders you immobile temporarily and shortly thereafter you're fine with no lasting ill effects. People need to grow a pair and realize sometimes you need a dose of the unpleasant to make your brain start working.

Frontman
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
It causes no physical harm. It's hurts like hell and renders you immobile temporarily and shortly thereafter you're fine with no lasting ill effects. People need to grow a pair and realize sometimes you need a dose of the unpleasant to make your brain start working.

It can cause heart issues; especially for those with an irregular heartbeat.

Then again; the best way to avoid being tazered is not to do something that could wind up getting your tazered.

doublem23
05-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Pretty much everything in this post is, at best, debatable.

Frontman
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Pretty much everything in this post is, at best, debatable.

Nope, his last sentence is not. Sometimes the clinically stupid need to have unpleasant results for their stupid actions to have it sink it that; basically, what they did was stupid.

Like running onto a baseball field.

After your Dad said it wasn't a good idea.

doublem23
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Nope, his last sentence is not. Sometimes the clinically stupid need to have unpleasant results for their stupid actions to have it sink it that; basically, what they did was stupid.

Like running onto a baseball field.

After your Dad said it wasn't a good idea.

That's why nobody ever goes back to prison!

Frontman
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
That's why nobody ever goes back to prison!

And sometimes the brain dead stupid never get a clue. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't have unpleasant results for their stupidity.

NDSox12
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Apparently, another fan ran onto the field in Philly tonight. No Taser this time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5163448

Rocky Soprano
05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
The thread title sucks.

I took the title from the article I linked so go cry to them.

Frontman
05-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Apparently, another fan ran onto the field in Philly tonight. No Taser this time.

"Clearly nobody reads their Russian anymore..." Susan Ivanova

WhiteSoxOnly
05-04-2010, 09:15 PM

Dissapointing.Must be getting soft in Philly.Not even any pepper spray ?

Frontman
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Dissapointing.Must be getting soft in Philly.Not even any pepper spray ?

They were tempted to release dogs on him; but with Mike Vick being in Philly, they thought it would be poor form...

WhiteSoxOnly
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
They were tempted to release dogs on him; but with Mike Vick being in Philly, they thought it would be poor form...

Now THAT is what you could expect from Philly's finest.They'd probably give the guy a little bit of a head start before releasing the hounds.And then taking their time retrieving the poor dope.

Frontman
05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Now THAT is what you could expect from Philly's finest.They'd probably give the guy a little bit of a head start before releasing the hounds.And then taking their time retrieving the poor dope.

Actually, they should air cannon a t-shirt wrapped around a steak to him; THEN let the dogs loose.....

theamb
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Well, that IS the benchmark

I'll attribute the media coverage of that moron to the moron who ran on the field tonight.

What Philadelphia needs to do is hire the puker in situations like this to humiliate and degrade these fools

jabrch
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Valid point, voodoo. But still; he got tazered for his efforts to be young and stupid. Had he kept his butt in his seat in the stands?

It wouldn't of happened.

That's interesting wording.

DumpJerry
05-04-2010, 10:54 PM
It causes no physical harm. It's hurts like hell and renders you immobile temporarily and shortly thereafter you're fine with no lasting ill effects.
The only people who actually believe this are the employees of the Taser Company. Even police officials don't buy this line of propaganda.

Because of the heat over this incident, the Chief of the Philly Police Dept. has decided that he no longer wants his people providing security at games.

dickallen15
05-05-2010, 06:45 AM

This guy was so smart he had drugs on his person. I'm guessing he thought he'd get tasered and then he would sue.

konerko 14
05-05-2010, 07:13 AM
what an idiot

SaltyPretzel
05-05-2010, 07:14 AM
This guy was so smart he had drugs on his person. I'm guessing he thought he'd get tasered and then he would sue.

Not too intelligent to be carrying around your stash when there is a 100% chance you're getting arrested.:dumbass:

Southsider101
05-05-2010, 05:56 PM
This from today's Philly Daily News:

Shortly before he dashed onto the field, Consalvi wanted to run the idea by his old man, so he called his father, Wayne.
"He goes, 'Dad, I'm gonna run through the field, OK?' I say, 'No, this one's not OK. You shouldn't do that," Wayne Consalvi said from his auto-repair shop in Pottstown. "He did it anyway."

What kind of self respecting 17 year old phones their dad to let them know they're going to break the law? This kid must be related to the Legues.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2488037

spongyfungy
05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
http://twitter.com/THETHOROBRED/status/13396289546

:redneck

johnnyg83
05-10-2010, 04:10 PM
http://www.gocomics.com/badreporter/2010/05/07/