PDA

View Full Version : Pods On Sox

Lip Man 1
05-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Pods had some intertesting comments to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune. Said he didn't want to get into specifics on his dealings with Kenny but he wanted to return. Said he signed with Kansas City because they made "him feel wanted" and were the "most aggresive" when free agency opened.

I may be wrong but I don't recall reading / hearing much about the Royals until the Sox got tired of waiting around and made the Pierre deal. And it's ironic that while he wanted a multi year deal from the Sox he was willing to take a one year offer from the Royals.

Perhaps someone can clarify this.

Lip

ilsox7
05-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Pods had some intertesting comments to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune. Said he didn't want to get into specifics on his dealings with Kenny but he wanted to return. Said he signed with Kansas City because they made "him feel wanted" and were the "most aggresive" when free agency opened.

I may be wrong but I don't recall reading / hearing much about the Royals until the Sox got tired of waiting around and made the Pierre deal. And it's ironic that while he wanted a multi year deal from the Sox he was willing to take a one year offer from the Royals.

Lip

Sounds like Pods and his agent misread the market. Now he is stuck in KC.

balke
05-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I want to say I heard a quote of like 5-6 million Pods wanted. And even if that was for 2 years - its just not something the Sox wanted to invest in I guess.

DumpJerry
05-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Lip
Nobody offered him a multi-year deal, so reality told him a one year deal was the only card in his deck. When he realized this, the Sox already had Pierre.

asindc
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I want to say I heard a quote of like 5-6 million Pods wanted. And even if that was for 2 years - its just not something the Sox wanted to invest in I guess.

... nor any other team, for that matter. Pods overplayed his hand, plain and simple.

VMSNS
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't remember exactly, but wasn't it reported earlier in offseason that Pods was demanding something ridiculous like 2 years $15 million?

doublem23
05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Nobody offered him a multi-year deal, so reality told him a one year deal was the only card in his deck. When he realized this, the Sox already had Pierre.

Well aren't we the lucky ones.

The Immigrant
05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Well aren't we the lucky ones.

This was a classic lose-lose for everyone involved, although I'm willing to bet that Ozzie wanted Pierre over Pods.

hawkjt
05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
The Sox should have approached Pods in July and signed him to a two year extension for 4 million total. Instead they will pay Juan 8 million for two years total. After he got to the end of the season, Pods numbers dictated a bigger deal and it spun out of control on both sides.

Just a shame. Pods is a bargain for KC,while Juan is struggling and overpaid for the Sox.

hi im skot
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
The Sox should have approached Pods in July and signed him to a two year extension for 4 million total. Instead they will pay Juan 8 million for two years total. After he got to the end of the season, Pods numbers dictated a bigger deal and it spun out of control on both sides.

Just a shame. Pods is a bargain for KC,while Juan is struggling and overpaid for the Sox.

In July folks were still trying to figure out if Podsednik's season was a fluke or if he had actually learned how to stay healthy and be an above-average player.

SI1020
05-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Everyone wants to feel wanted. Is there a link to these comments?

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I think he misread the market which is too bad and I certainly don't blame him for wanting more money and a multi-year deal. At the same time I think once he realized he misread the market the Sox probably had Pierre and he was thinking "Dammit!" I think he wanted to come back here and to an extent I think the Sox wanted him back just not for more than a year. Just one of those things where it all pans out too late. Oh well.

Hitmen77
05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
This was a classic lose-lose for everyone involved, although I'm willing to bet that Ozzie wanted Pierre over Pods.

Absolutely. Pods and his agent negotiated himself off a team where he is practically a legend and off to KC for probably a lower salary than he would have gotten from us in the first place.

We lose big time because the Sox went with a plan to acquire a player who a) isn't very good to begin with; b) the Sox apparently thought a couple of years ago couldn't hit in the AL; and c) is showing us that perhaps the Sox were right about "b".

october23sp
05-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Love you Pods.

#1swisher
05-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Love you Pods.

Always.

russ99
05-05-2010, 08:42 AM
I love all this adulation towards Scott from the same people who wanted him out of town last offseason because of his "bad baserunning", a fluke year, low OBP and nonexistant defense. Oh and that he's injury prone, and can't hit the ball out of the infield too.

I guess anyone who's not on the Sox anymore is suddenly good, but the guys on the current roster are always "bad at baseball"... :rolleyes:

Craig Grebeck
05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I love all this adulation towards Scott from the same people who wanted him out of town last offseason because of his "bad baserunning", a fluke year, low OBP and nonexistant defense. Oh and that he's injury prone, and can't hit the ball out of the infield too.

I guess anyone who's not on the Sox anymore is suddenly good, but the guys on the current roster are always "bad at baseball"... :rolleyes:
I still think those things, for what it's worth. And why on earth is "bad baserunning" in quotations?

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-05-2010, 09:10 AM
......while Juan is struggling and overpaid for the Sox.

Yet if we "wait it out" his career average #'s will show. By that time the Sox will have moved comfortably into 4th place in the division.

I think it's unfair to say Pods would be the spark plug on the Sox the way he is in KC, but with what we have currently, we always look where the grass appears to be greener.

asindc
05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
yet if we "wait it out" his career average #'s will show. By that time the sox will have moved comfortably into 4th place in the division.

I think it's unfair to say pods would be the spark plug on the sox the way he is in kc, but with what we have currently, we always look where the grass appears to be greener.

QfT

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2010, 01:05 PM

I guess anyone who's not on the Sox anymore is suddenly good, but the guys on the current roster are always "bad at baseball"... :rolleyes:But are you sure they're "the same people?" He's always had his defenders here, as well as his detractors.

NLaloosh
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry. There's NO WAY that I can give Kenny or the Sox a pass on this deal after what they are paying Pierre for TWO years.

It's inexcusable!