PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas question

SoxxoS
06-18-2002, 11:37 AM
If anybody has any info on why Frank wont hit in the open stance that would be appriciated. Nobody is talking about it and I am wondering why that is. How you can change anything about your swing from an MVP-type year in 2000 is beyond me. In addition to the fact that he is hitting with the closed stance, and has become mediocre. I have seen him hit in the open stance once this year, in a game against K.C. and he ripped the ball for a single once and hit the other 2 balls hard. Then, the next game he was back to the closed stance. Unbelieveable to me. I am befuddled by this.

soxrme
06-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Not only why not an open stance but why he doesn't get closer to the plate. He is leaning over to get pitches on the outside corner and popping them up to right or hitting those little ground balls. We better threaten to invoke the clause in his contract to lower his salary. Where is our hitting coach? Better yet where is JOE CREDE. How much longer do we wait??? Jose is hitting 240 and is a butcher at 3rd.

hold2dibber
06-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If anybody has any info on why Frank wont hit in the open stance that would be appriciated. Nobody is talking about it and I am wondering why that is. How you can change anything about your swing from an MVP-type year in 2000 is beyond me. In addition to the fact that he is hitting with the closed stance, and has become mediocre. I have seen him hit in the open stance once this year, in a game against K.C. and he ripped the ball for a single once and hit the other 2 balls hard. Then, the next game he was back to the closed stance. Unbelieveable to me. I am befuddled by this.

I had this exact conversation with my Dad during Sunday's game. Frank was awesome using that stance in 2000 - why in God's name would not still be using it? Frank has been okay this year, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't still be putting up elite-player type numbers if he used that stance (it allows him to turn on inside pitches and, since he has to stride towards the pitcher, prevents him from doing his "butt in the air, body flailing away from the plate" on inside pitches move).

SoxxoS
06-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I had this exact conversation with my Dad during Sunday's game. Frank was awesome using that stance in 2000 - why in God's name would not still be using it? Frank has been okay this year, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't still be putting up elite-player type numbers if he used that stance (it allows him to turn on inside pitches and, since he has to stride towards the pitcher, prevents him from doing his "butt in the air, body flailing away from the plate" on inside pitches move).

Totally agree. It shouldnt be his age, he is 4 years younger (I believe) than Barry Bonds. It cant be the divorce, thats over. It cant be his father's sickness, thats over. He should have a clear head, and should have no excuses. If he need Hriniak again, bring it on. We need to get Frank back on track. He could be the catalyst to a long winning streak.

voodoochile
06-18-2002, 02:49 PM
The 2000 stance doesn't allow him to reach the outside corner at all. It is great for inner half pitches, but pitchers adjusted and started pitching him away. Frank is trying to find a middle ground that allows him to turn on the inside pitch while still reaching the outside one.

That is just from what I have observed duriung games. I don't know if it is true or not...

Kilroy
06-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The 2000 stance doesn't allow him to reach the outside corner at all. It is great for inner half pitches, but pitchers adjusted and started pitching him away. Frank is trying to find a middle ground that allows him to turn on the inside pitch while still reaching the outside one.

That is just from what I have observed duriung games. I don't know if it is true or not...

Frank wasn't batting with a true open stance. He dropped his left foot back and was bringing it back to his normal position as he swung. It was a thing more to help him have better timing and rhythm. Kind of like how Baines did the high leg kick.

As far as Frank getting closer to the plate, I've said that countless times this year, and posted it here a few times. Albert Belle broke out his last year with the Sox by moving almost on top of the plate. Anything away that he couldn't hit couldn't have been a strike, and he dared pitchers to bring it in.

duke of dorwood
06-18-2002, 03:18 PM
Correct. Why doesnt he get one of those Barry Bonds blockers?
If nothing else, for psychological reasons.

RKMeibalane
06-18-2002, 03:42 PM
I have seen him occasionally wear a large elbow pad, but I'm not sure if he is still allowed to use it under the new rules.

Daver
06-18-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I have seen him occasionally wear a large elbow pad, but I'm not sure if he is still allowed to use it under the new rules.

He could easily bypass that rule,all he need do is point to last years season ending arm injury.........

Spiff
06-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by daver

He could easily bypass that rule,all he need do is point to last years season ending arm injury.........

He might be able to point to it, if he knew his ass from his elbow. :)

DrWatson27
06-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Spiff

He might be able to point to it, if he knew his ass from his elbow. :)

LOFL! :D:

Foulke You
06-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Include me in the "Why the hell did Frank change what was working great in 2000?" club. I too noticed him dabble with the open stance in 1 or 2 games and he looked much more aggressive and balanced then he did before. His swing stays much more level and he lashes and turns on those inside pitches.

The big difference with Frank this year is that when he gets a 2-0 or 3-1 count, he'll get great pitches to hit and either foul it straight back, pop it up, or completely miss. These are the pitches he used to deposit into the outfield grandstand. I wonder if he needs contact lenses or something?

Chisox_cali
06-18-2002, 04:20 PM
I just hope Frank comes off from this benching to tear up the Twinks. He has a lot of time to think about it.

:notwinks