PDA

View Full Version : your 2002 Hothouse Flowers

cheeses_h_rice
06-18-2002, 11:36 AM
From today's Cubune:

The Sox don't fare well before big crowds

Whether it's stage fright or coincidence, the Sox are usually at their worst when playing before a packed ballpark. Sunday's victory at Wrigley left them with a 5-12 record when playing in fronts of crowds of 30,000 or more, and 7-16 when attendance is 27,000 or more.

Of course most of these games are on the road because only Tampa Bay, Kansas City and Detroit have a more difficult time drawing in the American League than the Sox. The Sox have had only two games at Comiskey Park with crowds of more than 30,000.

In essence the Sox have had two big chances to redeem themselves in the last few weeks. But the Yankees swept them at Comiskey Park in their defining series to date and they dropped two of three to a Cubs team that entered the weekend series with a .234 batting average. The Cubs scored 22 runs and knocked around Jon Garland and Todd Ritchie.

SoxxoS
06-18-2002, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
From today's Cubune:

The Sox don't fare well before big crowds

Whether it's stage fright or coincidence, the Sox are usually at their worst when playing before a packed ballpark. [B]Sunday's victory at Wrigley left them with a 5-12 record when playing in fronts of crowds of 30,000 or more, and 7-16 when attendance is 27,000 or more.

Yeah, thats b/c big crowds mean good teams which we haven't beat thus far.

raul12
06-18-2002, 02:43 PM
what's the scrubs record at home? and i bet they draw a lot every game.....yet they fail to mention them--maybe that's because THEY SUCK!

Foulke You
06-18-2002, 04:05 PM
I think that figure on there only being 2 crowds over 30K is wrong. Opening day had 42,000 and there was more then 30K for each game of the Yankees series too.

It's typical Cubune crap though.
The Trib slogan- "Hey! It's been at least 2 days since we've taken potshots at the Sox attendance."

DrWatson27
06-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Don't the scubs draw around 25-30k a game, so what's their excuse?

Oh yea, that's right, they are just a crappy team no one expects to win in the first place.

LuvChiSox
06-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Whether it's stage fright or coincidence, the Sox are usually at their worst when playing before a packed ballpark.

What a completely idiotic statement. The scrubs have a terrible record at home, and they regularly play for big crowds. So the whole article is stupid.
The scrubs are "usually at their worst" whether there is a big crowd or a small crowd.
SO WHAT IS THE DAMN POINT? More pointless cubune drivel.

MarqSox
06-18-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox
Whether it's stage fright or coincidence, the Sox are usually at their worst when playing before a packed ballpark.

What a completely idiotic statement. The scrubs have a terrible record at home, and they regularly play for big crowds. So the whole article is stupid.
The scrubs are "usually at their worst" whether there is a big crowd or a small crowd.
SO WHAT IS THE DAMN POINT? More pointless cubune drivel.

The point is, the Cubs are awful regardless of the crowd, while the Sox have a worse record in front of big crowds than they do in front of smaller ones. It's a relevant point.

MarqSox
06-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I think that figure on there only being 2 crowds over 30K is wrong. Opening day had 42,000 and there was more then 30K for each game of the Yankees series too.

It's typical Cubune crap though.
The Trib slogan- "Hey! It's been at least 2 days since we've taken potshots at the Sox attendance."

The Tribune is right. I looked it up, we've only had 2 crowds over 30,000. The other two Yankee games were in the 27,000 range. Here's the complete breakdown if you don't believe it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/schedule?team=chw

voodoochile
06-18-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

The point is, the Cubs are awful regardless of the crowd, while the Sox have a worse record in front of big crowds than they do in front of smaller ones. It's a relevant point.

Yes and no...

The reasons the Sox stink in front of large crowds this year probably has more to do with the quality of competition than the number of people in attendance (as someone pointed out earlier). While I agree that it is an anomoly and thus noteworthy compared to the flubbies woes in front of large crowds (or any crowd), it does come across as more of the same old same old from the Trib to some extent.

Too bad they blew those two leads to the Yankees in games 2 and 3. That would change the numbers and the season dramatically to date...

MarqSox
06-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Yes and no...

The reasons the Sox stink in front of large crowds this year probably has more to do with the quality of competition than the number of people in attendance (as someone pointed out earlier). While I agree that it is an anomoly and thus noteworthy compared to the flubbies woes in front of large crowds (or any crowd), it does come across as more of the same old same old from the Trib to some extent.

Too bad they blew those two leads to the Yankees in games 2 and 3. That would change the numbers and the season dramatically to date...

I agree with you, I mean, I wasn't arguing reasons for the poor showings in front of large crowds, merely confirming that it exists. That it is true makes it reasonable for the Trib to point out.