PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/1 It took 4 hours, but we won 5/1 postgame thread

GoGoCrede
05-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Nice job, Bobby and offense and Danks.

ilsox7
Exhale.

Don't care how we win or how it looks at this point. Will take it.

MarySwiss
Close but Cano Cigar! :D:

ChiSox81
I feel like this might be the victory that turns it around for this team. They never gave up today.

GoGoCrede
05-01-2010, 04:00 PM

I see what you did there....:cool:

october23sp
10-14 looks a million times better than 9-15.

Sockinchisox
Good solid team win.

doublem23
Excellent outing by Jenks. Even the hit was a nice pitch, A-Rod is just a freak who punched it into the opposite field for a hit. But he manhandled Teixeira.

Danks is a star.

Congratulations on your win, Scott Linebrink. You earned it.

JermaineDye05
Regardless of the win, this team still needs to play better baseball. Ozzie won't get away with too many decisions like he did today and neither will Omar and Teahen. Please stop with the brain cramps and keep winning and I'll be a happy camper.

DumpJerry
May is the month we run the table. 28-0.

spongyfungy
05-01-2010, 04:01 PM
The Sox battled hard this game. I now know the secret to the Yanks success : drag the game out and bore you into submission.

ilsox7
I feel like this might be the victory that turns it around for this team. They never gave up today.

Who knows. Just a week ago they walked off the M's twice and swept them in a close game and that didn't turn things around. A win tomorrow means a 3-3 road trip, which is just fine. They need to get on a roll and win 11 or 15 or something.

DaveFeelsRight
Vazquez is trash. Glad we rocked him. Good to see Linebrink being useless....actually that isn't a good thing haha.

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Well, at least we won't get swept.

If we count the sweep of Seattle in the mix, the Sox have won five of their last eight. Let's make it six out of nine and a .500 road trip with a win tomorrow.

Brian26
Amazing that the Sox actually have a chance to go .500 on this trip with a win tomorrow.

palehozenychicty
We hung on despite Linebrink. Bobby threw the ball really well. Danks gutted it out today.

manders_01
I watched the first few innings then went shopping and have been score watching. Looks like it was a good one. Hopefully tomorrow will be as well since I'll be watching. Love a White Sox winner! :bandance:

Crede24Thome25
05-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I happy we won, but I really do not like Teahen one bit.

GoGoCrede
Early on in the season, it looks like this team can be defined by the fact that they just don't give up. That's a great thing.

thomas35forever
Bobby makes us nervous at the end again, but still gets the job done. I actually pictured a groundout to him to end the game, so I must be somewhat psychic.

Nice to see Andruw still swinging the bat well and A.J. breaking out of his slump. Linebrink came back to earth (though he still got the win) and Putz looked good. Taking the series may be wishful thinking, but dammit, I still want that to happen.

MarySwiss
05-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I see what you did there....:cool:

Crede, I think we need a bigger smile smilie. I still hate the Twinkies more, but there is just something so special about beating the Yankees. Makes me want to go watch "Damn Yankees." :D::D::D::D::bandance::bandance::gulp:

doublem23
05-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Who knows. Just a week ago they walked off the M's twice and swept them in a close game and that didn't turn things around. A win tomorrow means a 3-3 road trip, which is just fine. They need to get on a roll and win 11 or 15 or something.

Considering in the post-World Series era we are 2-11 in New York and 5-8 in Texas, a 3-3 road trip to those two would be excellent.

****, I'm not even that disappointed with 2-4. The Yankees are goooooooood.

DumpJerry
05-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Gotta love it when we face three former Sox pitchers in a winning cause.

ilsox7
05-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Early on in the season, it looks like this team can be defined by the fact that they just don't give up. That's a great thing.

They do seem to have some fight in them. So if things turn for the better, at least we know we have a team that is not mailing it in. They may have been sucking lately, but it's not for lack of effort and passion.

thomas35forever
05-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Crede, I think we need a bigger smile smilie. I still hate the Twinkies more, but there is just something so special about beating the Yankees. Makes me want to go watch "Damn Yankees." :D::D::D::D::bandance::bandance::gulp:
06103o2dv5c

Tragg
Next week we play the Blue Jays and Royals.
If this team is capable of making a move, we should find out then.

Way to go AJ; I particularly like that fist-pump

EdHerman12
Good to see the boys getting hit, and the pen getting it done late...I always feel good when Andruw is in the lineup...

Got this!... now hopefully the boys wearing the Indian head will get a big win tonight as well!

:gulp:<----Miller time!

Lip Man 1
You take the win anyway you can get it.

Like an earlier poster said, 10-14, is a lot better looking than 9-15. Considering the schedule and the way they have been playing 10-14 I guess is not bad.

Lip

guillensdisciple
05-01-2010, 04:08 PM
May is the month we run the table. 28-0.

I definitely like where your head is. That would vault us to the top of every division :D

Amazing that the Sox actually have a chance to go .500 on this trip with a win tomorrow.

This is something that people have been ignoring due to the Sox overall record and seemingly shady losses to the Rangers and Yankees.

While we have played some horrific baseball, we have found a way to win and probably should be 4-1 on this road trip (consider game against Rangers which we lost 6-5, and last nights game).

The White Sox have just been heavily shadowed by the horrific averages and the bullpen implosions to actually show that they have not been losing games so much as they have been winning them.

5-3 in the last 8 is not THAT bad. Win tomorrow and 6-3 in the last 9 and the White Sox have themselves something very nice cooking. Also, a 3-3 road trip when we have half the team hitting under .200 is very impressive.

A.J is getting into a rhythm, Alexei is at the point where he begins coming out of his slumber, Konerko is a you see what you get, and Quentin can only get better from here to go along with Beckham improving.

The only real downside to the offense is Pierre in my opinion. That dude has serious problems that need to get resolved because he is the most glaring problem I have ever seen in any line up.

SephClone89
05-01-2010, 04:11 PM

YES.

This was the musical my junior year of high school. I played manager Benny Van Buren and actually ended up winning an award for it.

You've gotta have heart...

VMSNS
05-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Ozzie looks like he has no idea what he's doing with the bullpen. And whenever I see Swisher's dumb face on TV, I just want to punch a baby or something.

Andruw is just a joy to watch. He has a great approach at the plate, and he always looks like he's having a blast out there. I think he's the only Sox player that actually smiles on a consistent basis. Great clutch pinch-hit by AJ, and nice pitching by Putz/Jenks.

...oh, and Javy.... :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Let's get 'em tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2010, 04:13 PM
By the way this is the 5th time this year the Sox have rallied to win when trailing in the 7th inning or later. They have lost four games where they had a lead going into the 7th inning or later.

Lip

guillensdisciple
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
By the way this is the 5th time this year the Sox have rallied to win when trailing in the 7th inning or later. They have lost four games where they had a lead going into the 7th inning or later.

Lip

That might be the weirdest statistic I have ever seen in my life.

SephClone89
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Ryan of (Mod edit: Some other board) has informed me that the Sox have held the lead in 17 of the 24 games they've played this season.

thomas35forever
05-01-2010, 04:16 PM
YES.

This was the musical my junior year of high school. I played manager Benny Van Buren and actually ended up winning an award for it.

You've gotta have heart...
We did that my senior year of high school. I did the sound effects for it, which I had been looking to do for a play since I'd started working on it. In fact, I'm wearing the Sox shirt I wore our closing night as we speak.

thomas35forever
05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Gotta love it when we face three former Sox pitchers in a winning cause.
Speaking of which, how the hell did Boone Logan make the Yankees of all teams?:scratch:

doublem23
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Speaking of which, how the hell did Boone Logan make the Yankees of all teams?:scratch:

Their bullpen is not that good.

WhiteSox1989
05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I really dislike Nick Swisher.

Glad the Sox won. Good day.

masloan
05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Don Cooper is really struggling in this series. Right Doublem?

doublem23
05-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Don Cooper is really struggling in this series. Right Doublem?

:rolleyes:

Don't quit your day job.

slavko
05-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Relievers are strange anyway, but if you're left handed and have a pulse there's a team that wants you somewhere. See John Rocker.

PhillipsBubba
05-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm glad they won but boy do they need help. Finding a left handed hitter that can drive in runs would be a good start.

Adrian Gonzalez?

Crede24Thome25
05-01-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm glad they won but boy do they need help. Finding a left handed hitter that can drive in runs would be a good start.

Adrian Gonzalez?

Id take Dunn or A-Gon

ilsox7
05-01-2010, 04:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Don't quit your day job.

The irony (whether you are for or against walker) is that Coop wasn't even there yesterday or until game time today.

ChiSoxGirl
05-01-2010, 04:32 PM
This was nearly a four hour game, but the end result made it worth the extra 60 minutes of my life! :bandance: Do we dare hope for a .500 road trip?! Let's get 'em tomorrow so ChiSoxGirl can write another winning TBGR!

DickAllen72
05-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's to Andruw Jones and AJ Pierzynski! :cheers:

Coops4Aces
05-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Dear MLB,

Please speed up the games.

RANDY WILES
05-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Vazquez is trash. Glad we rocked him. Good to see Linebrink being useless....actually that isn't a good thing haha.

Linebrink is the new Contreras---how many games will/has he cost?

Noneck
05-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Linebrink puts that W in his back pocket.

JB98
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Good job by Putz and Jenks to lock that game up in the last couple innings. It's not easy to close out New York in a one-run game at Yankee Stadium.

TDog
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM

I've felt that, or at least hoped that strongly enough that it made me feel that, a few times in the last couple of weeks.

What this game has in common with last weekend's sweep of the Mariners is the Sox not giving up. Some people believe the Sox gave up last night because they didn't come back after giving up the two runs, or perhaps because they gave up the two runs in the first place. They may have let these beliefs tell them what they saw in the faces of the players. This team hasn't given up, on games or on the season.

This White Sox team isn't as bad as some fans would have us believe. If the starting pitching were coming close to doing its job, the White Sox would have a winning record.

While this was a game that, if it had been lost, we would be saying the Sox should have won, this is a game the Sox managed to win despite Danks only going five innings. It doesn't upset me that he didn't get the win. I don't think starters who go five innings are in a position to complain if they don't get wins. When your starter only goes five and leaves with a lead, you're going to see Linebrink and Williams in pressure situations.

Today the Yankees in the late innings looked like the White Sox in some games that have bothered fans this season. Here's something every Sox fan should be laughing about. The Yankees intentionally walked Quentin to get to Pierzynski, with the tying run on second -- they put the go-ahead run on base by intentionally walking Quentin -- and brought in a new pitcher to play the left-lefty percentages, only to give up a game-changing double to Pierzynski.

That should be in the headline, or at least the lead in the story of the game.

Please, no one complain about Guillen making the dumbest managerial move in the history since his last dumbest move. Joe Girardi intentionally walked what proved to be the winning run for the White Sox.

I also found it interesting that the Girardi went so deep into his bullpen, using five relievers. The reason he went so deep, of course, was because Guillen's order alternated between left- and right-handed hitters. Girardi isn't the first manager to react this way this season, but it is worth noting for people who claim at least that Guillen is, at least, ill-suited for his job, by putting together such a batting order.

Jones and Jenks had very good days. So did Pierzynski. Three home runs, a sacrifice fly and a double -- no problems with the offense. And the Sox won, in part large part because Guillen wasn't the worst manager in Yankee Stadium today.

october23sp
05-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Yankees should really have to speed up their games.

Red Barchetta
05-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Nice win. The road grays looked really nice too during the day. I hope they stick with them for awhile...

soxlady8
05-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Mr. Jones :)
keep it up !!!!

Good to see Bobby earn his pay today !!

Putz did a great job keeping us up by one run !!

As many posters stated here ... I watched in the 5th when we were still up , then the game continued for like two more hours ... SLOOWWWWW !!

JermaineDye05
05-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Cowley tweets an interesting comment from Ozzie:

Oz on Swish HR celeb: "That's the way he is. Good for him, enjoy it. I wish he could do it for me, he was a very horse**** player for me.''

Link (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/13209042780)

ilsox7
05-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Gonzales tweeted the same. I highly recommend de-following Cowley. True comment by Ozzie, btw.

ChicagoG19
05-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Did not get a chance to watch the game today, but I am glad what I saw on the scoreboard. :bandance::bandance::bandance:
10-14 is not too bad.

voodoochile
05-01-2010, 05:25 PM

Well since the beginning of the M's series, the Sox are averaging 5 runs/game and have gone 5-3. It's not great, but I'll take that from here to the end of the season and take my chances. If this team can average 5 runs/game they should win a lot more than they lose.

Didn't get to see it, but was following on my Blackberry from the 5th inning on mostly. Nice to see the slumpers continue to bust out for the most part. If there was any production from the 1-2 hitters today, the Sox probably score 12. Maybe they should put AJ in the two hole since he seems to be heating up.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

jabrch
05-01-2010, 05:25 PM

200mm doesn't buy you what it used to.

jabrch
05-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Linebrink is the new Contreras---how many games will/has he cost?

Have you watched him pitch this year? He hasn't been the problem.

hawkjt
05-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I had a vision of Mark Kotsay hitting a high bomb right before he came thru...no sure why but I thought with the short porch he was going to hit one today.

Andruw and AJ also came thru,thankfully. I have been on AJ a lot,but that was a clutch double vs a lefty.

The Yanks are just in a whole different league when it comes to piling up pitches vs the opposition. I cannot remember many games where they went down 0-2 so many times and fought back to walk or hit...it is like an at bat for the yankees does not start until they are 0-2. They simply refuse to swing at close pitches and they foul off so many ...it is ridiculous.

Way to finish it out JJ and Bobby...that was sweet stuff:D:
Now we need MB to go out there and be pinpoint tomorrow,as they know how to take him to right field....win tomorrow and it is a good trip.

Crede24Thome25
05-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Have you watched him pitch this year? He hasn't been the problem.
My same thought, only one of a few bad outings by Linebrink. everyone has been good except williams.

twinsuck
05-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I didn't think we'd ever hit 10 wins!! Yes!

Frankfan4life
05-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Disappointed with Danks performance but must congratulate the Sox offense for the comeback win. When Jenks came in I told my son to get the defibrillator ready. Thank goodness it wasn't needed. I believe that hitting is contagious so hopefully this game bodes well for games to come.

ilsox7
05-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Well since the beginning of the M's series, the Sox are averaging 5 runs/game and have gone 5-3. It's not great, but I'll take that from here to the end of the season and take my chances. If this team can average 5 runs/game they should win a lot more than they lose.

Didn't get to see it, but was following on my Blackberry from the 5th inning on mostly. Nice to see the slumpers continue to bust out for the most part. If there was any production from the 1-2 hitters today, the Sox probably score 12. Maybe they should put AJ in the two hole since he seems to be heating up.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

There are some signs there. But they need to keep winning and start doing it in bunches.

WhiteSox5187
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
A win against the Yankees is a nice birthday present. But an even nicer birthday present would be a winning streak of like, ten games.

October26
05-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I loved Hawk's first inning call with "getonbackthere" for Andrew Jones homer. I'm liking this Jones fellow.:cool:

I became impatient during the Linebrink inning and went outside to do yard work; I listened to the rest of the game on the radio and enjoyed a White sox winner! :bandance:

soxinem1
05-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Good to see the boys getting hit, and the pen getting it done late...I always feel good when Andruw is in the lineup..

I've said it before, and I will again. Jones looks like he is having fun playing for the first time in a long while.

I'd have to say he is also running the bases better than I've seen him in years.

A real #3 hitter he never was, but he should be in the lineup virtually everyday.

Thing is, it seems like Ozzie benches him whenever he has an 0-for.

Rockabilly
05-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I've said it before, and I will again. Jones looks like he is having fun playing for the first time in a long while.

I'd have to say he is also running the bases better than I've seen him in years.

A real #3 hitter he never was, but he should be in the lineup virtually everyday.

Thing is, it seems like Ozzie benches him whenever he has an 0-for.

Jones has been having back problems. I rather have him sit a few days a week than lose him for the season.

Brian26
05-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Dear MLB,

Please speed up the games.

Amazingly, yesterday at least, the umpires were cutting the commercial breaks as tightly as possible. Every time WCIU came back from the break, the pitcher had already delivered one or two pitches. So, there's some effort in that respect.

konerko 14
05-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Disappointed with Danks performance

Why? he was good today

PhillipsBubba
05-01-2010, 08:25 PM
But an even nicer birthday present would be a winning streak of like, ten games.

Agreed, but I don't think this team is capable of such an accomplishment.:(:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_U4f5EzAbkyA/Sc_4mpCoccI/AAAAAAAAAGE/3WUl1iqixlE/s320/soxcake.JPG

twinsuck
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_U4f5EzAbkyA/Sc_4mpCoccI/AAAAAAAAAGE/3WUl1iqixlE/s320/soxcake.JPG
lol, I thought that was a toilet seat at first glance.

thomas35forever
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Granderson heading to the DL.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5154287

KMcMahon817
05-01-2010, 11:32 PM
The Sox battled hard this game. I now know the secret to the Yanks success : drag the game out and bore you into submission.

It's literally awful. Missed the game tonight, but yesterday was brutal. Pettite took 15 seconds to agree with sign almost every time. Soooo boring to watch and I never feel that way watching the Sox.

TomC727
05-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I was there in full White Sox Gear. Not going to lie, I was about to throw in the towel on this team after the Swisher home run, but the Sox pulled it out. To top the day off, walking out of the park, I had some drunk frat boy call me a douche bag about 3 times "hey, you douche bag, ozzie guillen jersey, yeah you're a douche bag." I told him "thank you."

KMcMahon817
05-01-2010, 11:41 PM

Lip

Didn't it take until July, or something like that, for the Sox to win their first game while trailing in 7th last season?

Hegewisch
05-02-2010, 12:06 AM

You could be right................They have been playing better and are at least keeping the games close..............

DrCrawdad
05-02-2010, 06:58 AM
I was there in full White Sox Gear. Not going to lie, I was about to throw in the towel on this team after the Swisher home run, but the Sox pulled it out. To top the day off, walking out of the park, I had some drunk frat boy call me a douche bag about 3 times "hey, you douche bag, ozzie guillen jersey, yeah you're a douche bag." I told him "thank you."

It's funny how you defused the situation. Good work!

GoGoCrede
05-02-2010, 10:26 AM

This is AWESOME and I want one for my next birthday!

Link (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/13209042780)

I love Ozzie. He's on the money about this one. Kudos to AJ as well for mocking Swisher's fist pump as he rounded the bases.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Actually...The YANKEES never gave up.

Craig Grebeck
05-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I do wonder how Ozzie would characterize Pierre's play if Swisher was horse****. Kotsay's too. Oh! Vizquel, as well.

Foulke You
05-02-2010, 11:30 AM
The only real downside to the offense is Pierre in my opinion. That dude has serious problems that need to get resolved because he is the most glaring problem I have ever seen in any line up.
:hitless
"How quick everyone forgets about me!"

PhillipsBubba
05-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I do wonder how Ozzie would characterize Pierre's play if Swisher was horse****. Kotsay's too. Oh! Vizquel, as well.

Let's face it, OG is a clown!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jtZM_i2fSV8/RblSF4eb03I/AAAAAAAAAV0/CULgKbOYNy8/s200/Andy+the+Clown.jpg

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2010, 03:24 PM

I think Ozzie would be quick to admit that they are horse **** too. The thing is Swisher had almost 600 ABs and still wound up only hitting .219, Pierre is the only one with 100 ABs and he has been bumped down to ninth. Pierre also brings an element of speed, Vizquel brings solid defense. Swisher brought, uh...well, hmm, he brought what exactly? Oh yea, that cool Captain Morgan thing with OC and a piss poor attitude.