PDA

View Full Version : Now that April is in the books, how do we all feel?

doublem23
04-30-2010, 10:25 PM
9-14 April marks the worst start to a season since the 2001 Sox went 8-15 through the first month. Have no fear, that team ended up winning 83 games and finishing in 3rd place, a hair behind the upstart Twins.

What are you feeling now, Sox fans?

Poll a'comin'.

FloridaSox
04-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Like I can't wait for football season to start.

Rikirk
04-30-2010, 10:28 PM
With our hands.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Like I can't wait for football season to start.How could anyone ever feel that way when living in Chicago?

btw, option number 2 kind of sucks, I think 90ish wins will win the division. The Twins pitching isn't this good. They will fall apart soon.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
:chunks
:nolanventura
:facepalm:

doublem23
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
How could anyone ever feel that way when living in Chicago?

Some of us actually like the Bears. You may find this hard to believe, but they were in the Super Bowl 3 years ago.

KMcMahon817
I think mid 80's. But I also think that will have the Sox in contention in September. The Twinkies simply are not this good.

sox1970
They'll be out of it in a month, and trade a few players in June/July. They'll probably end up in the mid-70's in wins.

Lip Man 1
The fire sale starts right after Memorial Day.

EVERYONE MUST GO! LOL

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2010, 10:32 PM
The Twinkies simply are not this good.

Maybe. But it doesn't matter if the Sox stay this bad, or even if they improve significantly enough to play .500 ball the rest of the way.

doublem23
How could anyone ever feel that way when living in Chicago?

btw, option number 2 kind of sucks, I think 90ish wins will win the division. The Twins pitching isn't this good. They will fall apart soon.

That's OK, I was assured this off-season that the Sox couldn't possibly be as bad as I figured they'd be.

Frater Perdurabo
Where's the churros option?

JB98
04-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Konerko hit 11 HRs in the month, and the team could still only manage 9-14.

What happens when Paulie cools off? :scratch:

I was worried coming into the season. I'm even more worried now.

SephClone89
04-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Like I can't wait for football season to start.

:rolleyes::o::angry:

sox1970
04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
I think mid 80's. But I also think that will have the Sox in contention in September. The Twinkies simply are not this good.

I disagree. If the Twins stay healthy, they'll win 90 minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a player or two before the deadline that helps them even more and they get in the mid-90's.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Konerko hit 11 HRs in the month, and the team could still only manage 9-14.

What happens when Paulie cools off? :scratch:

I was worried coming into the season. I'm even more worried now.

Really.

Who here really thinks Paulie will have another month with 11 homers?

He's had a great month, but predicting more than 40 HRs from him is ludicrous, especially considering the crap from the rest of the lineup. Teams will just IBB him, knowing that it will take three singles to score him.

He might lead the league in OBP by the end of the season. On the bright side, he won't be among the league leaders in GIDPs this year!

doublem23
04-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Where's the churros option?

I foresaw this thread being a bitchfest, I didn't want to get them involved.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I disagree. If the Twins stay healthy, they'll win 90 minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a player or two before the deadline that helps them even more and they get in the mid-90's.

Don't forget, they still get to beat up on the Sox 16 more times.

sox1970
04-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Don't forget, they still get to beat up on the Sox 16 more times.

15 more times, but yes, I factored that they play the Sox, Indians, and Royals--three pathetic teams, 18 games this year.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I foresaw this thread being a bitchfest, I didn't want to get them involved.

Yeah, I feel sorry for the churros. It's not their fault Pierre and AJ are using churros as bats.

DirtySox
04-30-2010, 10:42 PM
I feel this is a middling ballclub that will hover right below .500 for most of the season. Very similar to last year.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2010, 10:42 PM
15 more times, but yes, I factored that they play the Sox, Indians, and Royals--three pathetic teams, 18 games this year.

I think it will be 16. At least one game will be called due to rain after just three innings, with the Twins leading 15-1 or so.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Some of us actually like the Bears. You may find this hard to believe, but they were in the Super Bowl 3 years ago.It was kind of a joke. Not a "haha" joke, but like a jab in the ribs joke. I love the Bears, but I also HATE the weather they bring.

KMcMahon817
04-30-2010, 10:49 PM

Their pitching is very suspect. Yeah, I know Liriano is on fire. I am willing to bet that he's hurt before he makes 12 starts. They have a great lineup, but they are going to give up a ton of runs.

cv sox fan
04-30-2010, 10:51 PM
We will be lucky to reach 500. Theain is the guy I Just can't stand! pierre is almost as bad,he dose get on base more. If Quntin gets any worse trade him. WE NEED HELP!

SoxFan1979
04-30-2010, 10:52 PM
I still have hope. We just need a streak!

KMcMahon817
04-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I still have hope. We just need a streak!

me too! :D:

If Nix gets a little better jump and catches the ball Jeter hit for a triple, the mood around here would be far different. Still early, but they must wake up very soon.

october23sp
04-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I feel sorry for the churros. It's not their fault Pierre and AJ are using churros as bats.

Nicely done sir.

SephClone89
04-30-2010, 10:57 PM
We will be lucky to reach 500. Theain is the guy I Just can't stand! pierre is almost as bad,he dose get on base more. If Quntin gets any worse trade him. WE NEED HELP!

:?:

october23sp
04-30-2010, 11:00 PM

I think this post is a joke but here we go...

Teahen*, J on just should be lowercase, Pierre should be capitalized, does*, Quentin*

WSI isn't grammar Nazi board but damn man, try a little.

thomas35forever
04-30-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it's just getting so damn hard to. I picked 70-79. Unless the Hawks win the Cup, this town is stuck in sports Hell for awhile.

canOcorn
04-30-2010, 11:38 PM

Agreed. I think Slowey will get better the more he gains strength and further he gets past his surgery.

They've actually got money galore to spend with the fortune daddy made and now the new stadium. And they got a steal last year in the draft with Gibson. He could possibly be up later this summer if they had an injury. They usually don't fast track players, but they have with him and he's producing in a big way.

soltrain21
05-01-2010, 12:23 AM
75 games.

october23sp
05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
62-100.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Like I can't wait for football season to start.Please don't start this. Not already.

I've never been a huge football fan, but I enjoyed it during its season. But we get it jammed down our throats year-round now, and I'm reaching the point of reflexively hating the NFL because of it.

Dibbs
05-01-2010, 01:20 AM
I feel the same way as before the season started. 79 or 80 wins. Unfortunately it could be worse than that.

Tragg
05-01-2010, 01:23 AM
I voted for the 70-79 wins, but I'm not sure about the "we won't finish last" part; I think we'll finish ahead of the woeful Indians, but the Royals are at least trying hard and have some good pitchers.

SephClone89
05-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Please don't start this. Not already.

I've never been a huge football fan, but I enjoyed it during its season. But we get it jammed down our throats year-round now, and I'm reaching the point of reflexively hating the NFL because of it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-01-2010, 02:01 AM
I still think this team can turn things around (mostly in terms of the pitching staff), but no way we win the division. If KW does his usual move at the deadline, maybe, fingers crossed. I still highly doubt it though.

BradSox77
05-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I for one can't even believe I'm talking about the Bears. But if they blow again.. oh jesus. Well at least I'm not the only Gunners fan on here.

pudge
05-01-2010, 03:42 AM

I agree the madness over the draft in April is a little nutty, but I have admittedly already started thinking, "can't wait for football sundays." Baseball will always be #1 in my heart, but it is such a miserable sport when your team blows. I did not enjoy this month at all, and it's only one of six! I am going to have a very hard time staying interested in this team, I've just gotten to that age where it bores me when the team is fundamentally poor.

Sam Spade
05-01-2010, 04:32 AM
We win 93 games, paulie wins AL MVP.

NLaloosh
05-01-2010, 05:24 AM
They'll be out of it in a month, and trade a few players in June/July. They'll probably end up in the mid-70's in wins.

This. I'm not worried about the pitching but this offense is just mind blowingly bad. It almost looks like they're afraid to win. They seem helpless at times - just pathetic.

And, it will probably end up affecting the pitching. They must feel like they can't give up more than 2 runs to have much chance at winning.

Dan H
05-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Many expect Williams to do something. Like what? Is he going to have a line of suitors outside his door to take bad players off his hands?

I think the team will play better, but I don't see how this is an elite AL club. Bascially it has been a sub.500 team since the all-star break in '06. If it wins 70-79 games like many of us think, big changes will have to be made. It is time for Jerry Reinsdorf to sell even though we know he won't.

ndgt10
05-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Go get Adrian Gonzalez.

Jason Bay would have been a much better option than Pierre.

munchman33
05-01-2010, 09:02 AM
I voted for the 70-79 wins, but I'm not sure about the "we won't finish last" part; I think we'll finish ahead of the woeful Indians, but the Royals are at least trying hard and have some good pitchers.

We should probably start beating the Indians head to head first. :(:

I put 70-79, because that's what I said at the beginning of the year. But I also assumed a fast start because of the pitching, and a mid/late season collapse of the staff due to the season long pressure of no offense. I'll stick 70-79, but my guts telling me now we'd be awfully lucky with this squad to hit the upper end of that.

WhiteSox1989
05-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I feel like May is a really good month. :smile:

LongLiveFisk
05-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree the madness over the draft in April is a little nutty, but I have admittedly already started thinking, "can't wait for football sundays." Baseball will always be #1 in my heart, but it is such a miserable sport when your team blows. I did not enjoy this month at all, and it's only one of six! I am going to have a very hard time staying interested in this team, I've just gotten to that age where it bores me when the team is fundamentally poor.

I don't know if you are a Bears fan or not, but I always marvel when Bears fans who are also baseball fans (Cubs or Sox) make this statement, as if Bears football is some kind of improvement. If it was 1985 or 1986 I would understand but now? Still?

If we are going to have less than stellar teams in Chicago, I would pick baseball season over football season any day of the week. I don't see the need to rush baseball just to watch another ****ty Bears team.

This is my humble opinion.

mccoydp
05-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't see anything special happening this season, so I chose 70-79 wins. I do, however, love it when I'm wrong.

JB98
05-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't know if you are a Bears fan or not, but I always marvel when Bears fans who are also baseball fans (Cubs or Sox) make this statement, as if Bears football is some kind of improvement. If it was 1985 or 1986 I would understand but now? Still?

If we are going to have less than stellar teams in Chicago, I would pick baseball season over football season any day of the week. I don't see the need to rush baseball just to watch another ****ty Bears team.

This is my humble opinion.

Agreed. I want the Bears to do well, but let's face it, they suck. I'm not buying into their hype this year.

On September Sundays, I'll probably be watching bad White Sox over the bad Bears.

It's been many, many years since I was excited about football season.

Thome_Fan
05-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Agreed. I want the Bears to do well, but let's face it, they suck. I'm not buying into their hype this year.

On September Sundays, I'll probably be watching bad White Sox over the bad Bears.

Agreed. Hawks, don't fail me now. I got nothing else going for me.

russ99
05-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Waiting on Kenny to make his usual deals to shore up obvious weaknesses.

Then, we'll see. This team has too good pitching to not have a shot at the end...

pudge
05-01-2010, 06:29 PM

I disagree, but I think part of that is because I really don't care as much about the Bears, so it doesn't bother me as much when they lose, and even if they stink for 16 games, it's more tolerable than watching a team stink all summer, or be out of the race by May.

The NFL has done a brilliant job of making Sundays an "event". I have an extremely busy, stressful work week in my day-to-day life, and truly enjoy waking up and watching pro football on Sundays. It has come to fit the American lifestyle far more than baseball. Again, I love baseball more than anything, but that is not because of where I'm currently at in life.

Really? I was highly excited for 2006 (part of that was the city I live in was coming off a super bowl season, and the Bears were coming off a strong season despite a crappy playoff game) and it did not fail to disappoint. I had a total blast every Sunday despite realizing the Bears were sort of playing over their heads and crapped their pants in the Super Bowl.

I have no expectations for the current Bears team, though, and didn't have much for last season either.

PhillipsBubba
05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered!

http://canarypapers.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/barney-fife.jpg

Daver
05-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I had little optimism in this team from spring training, so this is really kind of close to what I expected, though I thought the starting pitching would be a bit better than this.

jabrch
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
...like **** - but hoping that guys start playing up to their career/3 year norms.

dickallen15
05-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Its pretty hard to win especially in the AL with very little offense. Very low OBP. Building a team and counting on pitching means you at least have to have a solid defense. I have no idea how anyone in the White Sox organization could be convinced before this season started that Teahen at 3B, Quentin in RF, Pierre in LF, Ramirez with his head in the clouds at SS could be anything but a below average defensive team. If you are going to build a team around pitching, you cannot gloss over defense.

Brian26
05-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Its pretty hard to win especially in the AL with very little offense. Very low OBP. Building a team and counting on pitching means you at least have to have a solid defense. I have no idea how anyone in the White Sox organization could be convinced before this season started that Teahen at 3B, Quentin in RF, Pierre in LF, Ramirez with his head in the clouds at SS could be anything but a below average defensive team. If you are going to build a team around pitching, you cannot gloss over defense.

Teahen looks atrocious at third. He is not fluid in anything he does. I find myself cringing every time the ball is hit to him or he has to make a throw.

tstrike2000
05-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Teahen looks atrocious at third. He is not fluid in anything he does. I find myself cringing every time the ball is hit to him or he has to make a throw.

Unfortunately, there doesn't look to be any help for a lot of the defensive weaknesses anytime soon.

35th and Shields
05-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Waiting on Kenny to make his usual deals to shore up obvious weaknesses.

Then, we'll see. This team has too good pitching to not have a shot at the end...

Honestly, that's the whole problem in my mind.

We've gone into the last couple seasons with so many question marks and by the time they get addressed it's too late.

guillensdisciple
05-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm feeling pretty good- school's almost over.

IN relation to the White Sox though, they could play better and probably will.

SBSoxFan
05-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I feel like the summer's over before it started. I'll try to stay optimistic, but it's difficult when they can only win 40% of their games and show no sign of a run.

Mohoney
05-03-2010, 04:52 AM

I agree with the win total projection, but I don't see where they can really add any pieces other than minor tweaks in the bullpen. I think they're pretty much set with their position players and starting pitching due to their budget.

I think they win their 93 games and get their nuts kicked in by the Yankees in the 1st round, same as every year.

Mohoney
05-03-2010, 04:58 AM

It's not fair to single out Teahen. AJ, Alexei, Pierre, Quentin, and Beckham have all shown flaws defensively this year, too.

I have no complaints regarding Rios or Paulie, but everybody else leaves something to be desired, not just Teahen.

TomBradley72
05-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Quentin should be in LF, anywhere else is ridiculous. Teahen belongs at DH or as a "super sub", KW still hasn't solved the problem at 3rd base since Crede left.

Unless KW plugs the hole at 3rd base or in the lead off slot....we're not going anywhere this year.

doublem23
05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
It's not fair to single out Teahen. AJ, Alexei, Pierre, Quentin, and Beckham have all shown flaws defensively this year, too.

I have no complaints regarding Rios or Paulie, but everybody else leaves something to be desired, not just Teahen.

Teahen is super bad at everything, though.

asindc
05-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Was at the game on Saturday and had seats in the LF club area, almost directly in line with the 3rd base line. After watching a second grounder to Teahan go over his glove I began cursing. The Yanks fans started saying that their hitters needed to pull more pitches down the 3rd base line. I'm beginning to have the same lack of confidence in Teahen at 3rd that I had with Fields. Not good.:mad:

kitekrazy
05-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Excellent point. The over marketing of the NFL is nauseating.

I can't seen any reason for Bear's fans getting exciting for next season.

jabrch
05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Excellent point. The over marketing of the NFL is nauseating.

I can't seen any reason for Bear's fans getting exciting for next season.

How about the enjoyment of watching football?

Lip Man 1
05-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Jab:

Some folks feel the game itself is reason enough, other folks (like me) feel the name of the game is to win. That's how they get their enjoyment.

Not saying one is better than the other...it's the old saying, different strokes for different folks.

Lip

jabrch
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Jab:

Some folks feel the game itself is reason enough, other folks (like me) feel the name of the game is to win. That's how they get their enjoyment.

Not saying one is better than the other...it's the old saying, different strokes for different folks.

Lip

Agreed - Kite said he can't see any reason. I was responding with mine. I love it when my team wins. But if they don't, I won't let it ruin my enjoyment of my hobby. Same as when I play golf. I don't always play well - but if playing bad golf made me miserable, I'd quit. At its worst, it is still 4 hours of entertainment where I am not working, being stressed out at home, or dealing with family stuff. It's my escape...

I don't like the Sox/Bears losing. But I still enjoy the the sport, the event, the "game" even if the particular contest had a result that was not my preference.

And BTW, I understand you say the name of the game is to win. There is no opposition to this point of view. There are no people who don't care about winning. But if you only get joy from winning, and the rest creates misery, then...well...as you said, to each their own.

khan
05-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm really hoping for a sweep v. KC, followed by a nice run to get back to .500. I'm rooting for this, so that we can at LONG LAST see some signs of life, and that we can continue to be diverted by White Sox baseball.

If this does occur, then perhaps we will look back at this thread and laugh a bit. If not, and the SOX continue to **** their pants, then:

We have the Blackhawks [hopefully] to divert us for the next month, THEN
[For me, anyway] The World Cup starts in a month or so from now, THEN
The BEARS return to camp, THEN
The offseason for MLB/NFL season.

Given that The Chairman is getting up there in age, and that his kids supposedly aren't interested in retaining the team, I don't know if he has the stomach for another 5 year "rebuilding" project. I don't know if he was the time or the patience for that sort of thing.

By extension, it could go bad for a LOT of people in the SOX organization. With JR in charge, KW and OG can feel fairly confident that the boss has their backs. But if JR decides he's had enough and sells, that can be the end of the road for KW and OG and others.

This is an expensively-assembled team that has little financial flexibility, few moveable pieces, and few "REAL" prospects in the minor league system. I'd hate to think where this would take the SOX, the fans, and the people in the organization, were the SOX to continue their slow rotation down the drain.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Khan:

It takes them back to most of the 1970's without the threat of moving.

Jab:

For me personally it does make things more difficult for me.

I like baseball but I LOVE the White Sox. When they don't "win" (and my bottom line definition of winning is a "winning" season, at least 82 wins) I don't watch the game, I don't watch the sports on WGN, I don't watch Chicago Tribune Live for example.

I don't need to constantly be reminded of how bad they are doing. When things get so bad, like in 2007 when they were dead by the end of June, I'll simply watch out of my Sox library. That offers me more enjoyment than seeing the real thing makes themselves look like idiots.

Just clarifying your comment from my standpoint. Again, different folks look at things differently and to me the only reason to go through all this is because of winning. I respect your position though and frankly wish at times I had more of it, but that's not the way I'm put together.

Lip

khan
05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Khan:

It takes them back to most of the 1970's without the threat of moving.

I'd put it more akin to the black hole that was 1985 - 1990. What's worse is that there are HUGE, OBESE salaries already committed to some players.

We could see a lot of people in the organization "get whacked," if this team doesn't get their collective heads and asses wired together. We could ALSO see The Cell become a ghost town for a LONG time..

Lip Man 1
05-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Khan:

JR is very loyal to his people for good or bad. I could see some of them 'resigning' but I can't see them being fired for anything short of illegal activity (i.e. Dave Wilder).

JR is in his mid 70's, his family wants nothing to do wih the Sox when he is gone (from two sources) so he really isn't concerned about what happens long-term (and I can understand that attitude). He is going to remain true to his core beliefs and that is to remain loyal to those who have remained loyal to him.

I agree with your last statement about fans not showing up. Attendance has gone down every year since the end of the 2006 season...with this type performance that will continue.

Lip

khan
05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Khan:

JR is very loyal to his people for good or bad. I could see some of them 'resigning' but I can't see them being fired for anything short of illegal activity (i.e. Dave Wilder).

JR is in his mid 70's, his family wants nothing to do wih the Sox when he is gone (from two sources) so he really isn't concerned about what happens long-term (and I can understand that attitude). He is going to remain true to his core beliefs and that is to remain loyal to those who have remained loyal to him.
This is the more pressing matter. If the team tanks, one has to wonder if JR wouldn't be more inclined to sell, rather than to wait half a decade to become relevant again.

So sure: "IF" JR is around, then KW/OG have nothing to fear. If not, then maybe they should start dusting off their resumes.

Mohoney
05-04-2010, 05:51 AM

The only regulars with a higher OBP than Teahen right now are Paulie, Jones, and Rios. If Teahen is super bad at everything, then the rest of this team is even more super bad at making ****ing outs.

I'm just saying that Mark Teahen is not the problem lately.