PDA

View Full Version : For all those who can tell a good hitting coach from a bad one...

jabrch
04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
How is NYY hitting coach Kevin Long?

doublem23
04-30-2010, 08:03 PM
You just keep beating that horse. :rolleyes:

Mohoney
05-01-2010, 02:54 PM
The Yankees are 3rd in the AL in AVG, 2nd in OBP, and 1st in SLG.

Bob Roarman
05-01-2010, 03:42 PM
You just keep beating that horse. :rolleyes:

As long as people keep beating the horse that hitting coaches at the major league level really matter, why not?

doublem23
05-01-2010, 04:08 PM
As long as people keep beating the horse that hitting coaches at the major league level really matter, why not?

So basically you're telling me that 30 multimillion dollar companies all have a completely worthless employee on their books. Every single one of them.

P.S. I don't see how this logic is supposed to make me not want to see Greg Walker fired. If his position is pointless, why does it exist?

Bob Roarman
05-01-2010, 04:39 PM
At the major league level, you'd see little to no difference if you shuffled around hitting coaches. Walker or no Walker, this team would be doing the same, the Yankees would be doing the same, and so on. The hitting coaches that are truly valuable are in an organization's minor league system. When you see a team like the Cubs pay that kind of money for a MLB hitting coach, it is the definition of baseball McDonough.

jabrch
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM
At the major league level, you'd see little to no difference if you shuffled around hitting coaches. Walker or no Walker, this team would be doing the same, the Yankees would be doing the same, and so on. The hitting coaches that are truly valuable are in an organization's minor league system. When you see a team like the Cubs pay that kind of money for a MLB hitting coach, it is the definition of baseball GOOFY.

Short of the last word in your post (you may want to change it yourself if you have a chance) I agree with everything you said.

Hitting coaches have a function and an impact - but it is not what some people seem to think it is. Creating a ridiculous argument by projecting stupidity past the logical extreme doesn't change the truth about what a hitting coach does and doesn't do, and how much they do and don't impact professional hitters.

Bob Roarman
05-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah I'm not saying they are worthless.They have to do their homework same as any coach. But like you said, the impact each of them make on their team(s) they coach at the major league level is negligible. I'm not saying anyone can do it, I'm just saying that there's not a huge difference of talent from team to team at that position.

doublem23
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Short of the last word in your post (you may want to change it yourself if you have a chance) I agree with everything you said.

Hitting coaches have a function and an impact - but it is not what some people seem to think it is. Creating a ridiculous argument by projecting stupidity past the logical extreme doesn't change the truth about what a hitting coach does and doesn't do, and how much they do and don't impact professional hitters.

Please tell us then, oh wise sage, what is the point of the hitting coach then? This is seriously the most illogical argument I've ever had to endure; you're all absolutely willing to admit that a hitting coach apparently makes no difference at the MLB level but then recoil in horror every time someone brings up the discussion that Greg Walker should be fired. If his job is so irrelevant, what the hell do you care? Meanwhile, the Sox are dead last in the AL in BA, nearly last in OBP, below league average in slugging, and 4th to last in RPG. The only thing saving this team is the fact that we can still, thank god, hit HR. God forbid Jones or Konerko get hurt or don't keep this pace up all year, else we have absolutely no way of scoring runs.

This team desperately needs a shake up. Fire the bum and see what happens. We're tied with the Royals for 2nd worst record in the American League. It's not like we can get much worse.

Scottiehaswheels
05-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Please tell us then, oh wise sage, what is the point of the hitting coach then? This is seriously the most illogical argument I've ever had to endure; you're all absolutely willing to admit that a hitting coach apparently makes no difference at the MLB level but then recoil in horror every time someone brings up the discussion that Greg Walker should be fired. If his job is so irrelevant, what the hell do you care? Meanwhile, the Sox are dead last in the AL in BA, nearly last in OBP, below league average in slugging, and 4th to last in RPG. The only thing saving this team is the fact that we can still, thank god, hit HR. God forbid Jones or Konerko get hurt or don't keep this pace up all year, else we have absolutely no way of scoring runs.

This team desperately needs a shake up. Fire the bum and see what happens. We're tied with the Royals for 2nd worst record in the American League. It's not like we can get much worse.:o: And disrupt the chemistry of the team? Doub, we really just need to wait til August/Sept. when they start to get on a roll.

Bob Roarman
05-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Firing the hitting coach isn't really a shake up. It's really just a cost effective way of making it look like you're trying to change things. The position is a revolving door around the league just about every year.

Shake ups nowadays are GM/manager firings or major trades/signings or fire sales. I mean, these players are what they are. What'd you expect? Obviously people expected more here, as there were a lot of 90+ win predictions being tossed around during spring training. I still don't see how anyone realistically came to that conclusion.

Pierre is great at making outs as he has been his entire career. Ramierez won't hit the first few months, Quentin hasn't been the same since his season ending injury, you're banking on guys like Omar Vizquel and Andruw Jones and Teahen to be good and the entire bullpen outside of Thornton was a big question mark. Konerko is on fire in his last year of his deal (go figure) or it just might be his good half, whatever the case it's not like that's never happened before. Granted, Peavy's performance so far has surprised me, but other than that, this is the Sox. Around 80 wins. With or without Walker, this is what they are. Fire him, don't fire him, these guys are what they are, what they have been their entire careers. Not much that can be done at this point other than mass exodus.

doublem23
05-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Firing the hitting coach isn't really a shake up. It's really just a cost effective way of making it look like you're trying to change things. The position is a revolving door around the league just about every year.

Shake ups nowadays are GM/manager firings or major trades/signings or fire sales. I mean, these players are what they are. What'd you expect? Obviously people expected more here, as there were a lot of 90+ win predictions being tossed around during spring training. I still don't see how anyone realistically came to that conclusion.

Pierre is great at making outs as he has been his entire career. Ramierez won't hit the first few months, Quentin hasn't been the same since his season ending injury, you're banking on guys like Omar Vizquel and Andruw Jones and Teahen to be good and the entire bullpen outside of Thornton was a big question mark. Konerko is on fire in his last year of his deal (go figure) or it just might be his good half, whatever the case it's not like that's never happened before. Granted, Peavy's performance so far has surprised me, but other than that, this is the Sox. Around 80 wins. With or without Walker, this is what they are. Fire him, don't fire him, these guys are what they are, what they have been their entire careers.

That's fine, I'm not expecting this team to turn into a Murderer's Row if we do actually fire Greg Walker. We could bring in the world's foremost experts on hitting and I doubt this roster would produce much. What I've gathered from most of my life watching baseball is that certain coaches "click" with certain players, and quite frankly, I don't think that's the case with Walker and our guys. It would be one thing if the Sox offense was generally bad (which it has been) but the reasons kept on changing, but we're basically watching the same crap over, and over, and over again; can't score except via the HR, impatient hitters who are never on base, etc. Just my humble opinion, but I really don't think there would be any harm in trying something new. At worst, it would be a lateral movement, and we'd be the same streaky, HR or nothing, low OBP team we've always been. At best, hey, maybe some guys would take to a new way of thinking.

What bothers me most about this topic is the way the "pro-Walker," or whatever they want to call themselves reacts to any mention of this. You'd think I said we should murder Greg Walker or something. On this site anyway, they're the minority, but they're so vocal and zealous about this it's borderline ridiculous.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2010, 01:05 AM
We could bring in the world's foremost expert...
http://www.joedevitohypnotist.com/celebrities/professor_irwin_corey.jpg You called?

Only old people will get this.