PDA

View Full Version : Konerko on Pace For 74 & Other Trends

kjhanson
04-30-2010, 02:37 PM
He could eclipse the steroid boys and be the fourth head on the home run Mt. Rushmore:

http://sportssage.com/blog/index.php/mlb/4-mlb-projections-new-home-run-champ-100-stolen-bases-and-the-lowly-orioles/

Rdy2PlayBall
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I would buy a Konerko jersey of every kind if he passes Bonds. That would be too cool. I can't believe what it would take though. I can't believe Bonds actually accomplished 73.

UChicagoHP
04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Agreed, roids or not...what Bonds did was simply mind-boggling, especially when you consider all the AB's where he wasn't given anything to hit. I don't think the game has ever seen a hitter more locked in, nor will it ever again, imo...he was simply a joy to watch, absolutely PERFECT swing all dads/coaches should be teaching their kids, if they happen to hit left-handed. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the guy, and I'm glad he was busted, but that doesn't make what I saw any less impressive. And considering he was far from alone in the cheater department, I'm not going to take too much away from him. I just loved watching that swing...simply perfect in every way.

g0g0
04-30-2010, 03:19 PM
I would buy a Konerko jersey of every kind if he passes Bonds.

Amen.

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2010, 03:51 PM
absolutely PERFECT swing all dads/coaches should be teaching their kids, if they happen to hit left-handed.They won't be able to teach their kids that "perfect" swing, because it was mechanically aided by that enormous bullet-proof brace he wore that locked his elbow into perfect hitting position. It's now illegal, but he was "grandfathered" on it.

RKMeibalane
04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I would buy a Konerko jersey of every kind if he passes Bonds. That would be too cool. I can't believe what it would take though. I can't believe Bonds actually accomplished 73.

He had help.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
They won't be able to teach their kids that "perfect" swing, because it was mechanically aided by that enormous bullet-proof brace he wore that locked his elbow into perfect hitting position. It's now illegal, but he was "grandfathered" on it.

Didn't they find out that that pad didn't give him as much help as they thought?

As for Konerko, there is no way he comes within sniffing distance of 74. At the end of April A-Rod was on pace to hit 80 something homeruns in 2007, he wound up hitting "only" 54. I really don't think a person can hit much more than say, 65 homeruns without the benefit of steroids.

theamb
04-30-2010, 04:31 PM
He could eclipse the steroid boys and be the fourth head on the home run Mt. Rushmore:

http://sportssage.com/blog/index.php/mlb/4-mlb-projections-new-home-run-champ-100-stolen-bases-and-the-lowly-orioles/

Until it's revealed that Konerko was no different... :o:

What a player does is his business and not mine. After all, it's not my job.

But for the good of the game, everyone is fair game until there is full, strict testing for drugs/performance enhancers etc..

Brian26
04-30-2010, 07:16 PM

Right, because Paul Konerko is the poster-boy for musclehead steroid use like the Sosa, Mac, and Bonds crowd.

hi im skot
04-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Until it's revealed that Konerko was no different...

Silly.

october23sp
04-30-2010, 08:42 PM

Haha, have you seen Konerko?

guillensdisciple
04-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Haha, have you seen Konerko?

Ye, if he's on roids, then I must be on some hybrid of super steroids.

theamb
04-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Right, because Paul Konerko is the poster-boy for musclehead steroid use like the Sosa, Mac, and Bonds crowd.

Because all steroid users are steakheads? Right?

In this day and age, NOTHING would surprise me.

For the record, I could careless if Konerko is or ever had used. The fact is it is his body and his career. And if MLB is just going to turn the other cheek..

Just not a fan of the witchunt towards guys like Bonds, which had more to due with his personality than him ever using.

konerko 14
04-30-2010, 09:22 PM
saying Paulie is on roids is just stupid.:rolleyes:

doublem23
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Just not a fan of the witchunt towards guys like Bonds, which had more to due with his personality than him ever using.

Also the fact that he was obviously using.

What about Sammy? He was a media darling during the '98 HR Chase. Everyone loved him. Now, he's outcast to the DR while he slowly bleaches himself into a sheet of paper.

chaotic8512
04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
People are really suggesting the possibility of Konerko and steroids? OK... :lol:

Regarding the original discussion, after PK's 11th tonight, he's now on pace for 81 HRs. One of the very few stats to be remotely happy about tonight. :(:

sox1970
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm not saying anyone has or anyone hasn't done steroids, but aren't we past the point of being naive enough to think we know if someone has or hasn't? We don't know these people. We don't know if someone has juiced in the past, even for a few months or a few years. And it doesn't matter what somebody looks like. Look at Jim Parque. Did anyone suspect him?

canOcorn
04-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I know Paulie is a different guy these days, but PK was a far different acronym than when he was a minor leaguer with the Reds. Straight from the mouth of former, local guy and, teammate Steve Parris. I guess we've all changed a lot since we were in are low 20's. I enjoy seeing his success, but Ozzie would have hated him when he was 22.

doublem23
04-30-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm not saying anyone has or anyone hasn't done steroids, but aren't we past the point of being naive enough to think we know if someone has or hasn't? We don't know these people. We don't know if someone has juiced in the past, even for a few months or a few years. And it doesn't matter what somebody looks like. Look at Jim Parque. Did anyone suspect him?

Well, according to Parque he wasn't juicing for the majority of his MLB career, he only started after he injured his shoulder in 2003, so I don't even know if he ever got past AAA after taking HGH.

I know Paulie is a different guy these days, but PK was a far different acronym than when he was a minor leaguer with the Reds. Straight from the mouth of former, local guy and, teammate Steve Parris. I guess we've all changed a lot since we were in are low 20's. I enjoy seeing his success, but Ozzie would have hated him when he was 22.

I know ragging on Ozzie is en vogue right now, but can we at least keep it reserved for stuff he's actually, you know, done? Maybe Ozzie wouldn't have liked Paulie at 22, but he probably would have turned the corner when, at 23, he hit .294/.352/.511.

Brian26
05-01-2010, 01:53 PM

No. However, there's a body of work (figuratively, not literally) in Konerko's case that would exempt him from such ridiculous claims. Konerko has essentially been the same player since he joined the Sox in 1999. So, unless you're insinuating that Konerko has been on PEDs for all or a majority of the past 11 years (well-after mandatory testing began), this is just a silly argument.

For the record, I could careless if Konerko is or ever had used.

You could not care less.

This is incorrect.

theamb
05-01-2010, 02:31 PM
No. However, there's a body of work (figuratively, not literally) in Konerko's case that would exempt him from such ridiculous claims. Konerko has essentially been the same player since he joined the Sox in 1999. So, unless you're insinuating that Konerko has been on PEDs for all or a majority of the past 11 years (well-after mandatory testing began), this is just a silly argument.

I think it would be rather foolish to dismiss Konerko using any form of performance enhancers for any period of time. Especially in this day and age.

Fact is, everyone is subject to speculation these days. Whether that is wrong or right.

You could not care less.

When the grammar police comes out, you know there isn't much of an argument

This is incorrect.

yeah...:rolling:

doublem23
05-01-2010, 02:59 PM
When the grammar police comes out, you know there isn't much of an argument

Sort of like when the ad hominem comes out.

TheVulture
05-02-2010, 03:47 PM
You could not care less.

Sure he could. If he cared less, he probably wouldn't have posted in this thread.

pythons007
05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
What doesn't get said on this board, seriously?:rolleyes:

PK on roids!?!? Because he had a great April?

I don't think he reaches 40 homers this year even after this monster month.

asindc
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM

What a player does is his business and not mine. After all, it's not my job.

But for the good of the game, everyone is fair game until there is full, strict testing for drugs/performance enhancers etc..

:dtroll:

jdm2662
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
This place never ceases to amazes me. How about we talk about Konerko's start like we should? Like, how much it's a shame that the team is wasting his hot start by either not getting on base or sucking in other ways.

jabrch
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
This place never ceases to amazes me. How about we talk about Konerko's start like we should? Like, how much it's a shame that the team is wasting his hot start by either not getting on base or sucking in other ways.

Am I understanding you right?

We should talk about PK's start - by talking about other areas that suck?

jdm2662
05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Am I understanding you right?

We should talk about PK's start - by talking about other areas that suck?

No, we should be upset that the team is wasting his good start. He has 12 home runs after May 2nd. Yet, the team is 10-15, and he only has 24 RBIs. If only half of the team was playing average, we might be in a better mood today...

PennStater98r
05-03-2010, 11:20 AM

In this day and age, NOTHING would surprise me.

For the record, I could careless if Konerko is or ever had used. The fact is it is his body and his career. And if MLB is just going to turn the other cheek..

I normally don't point out grammar (even if it's a typo - it doesn't matter - that's not what's funny about this post) mistakes - but I think it's funny what the mistake in this post is - because it defines the post to a T.

downstairs
05-03-2010, 01:09 PM

People taking roids to improve performace from a pure strength standpoint are obvious. The physical changes are impossible to ignore.

Others take roids to help them heal faster, and to deal with the day-to-day struggles of being a major leaguer.

Any major leaguer is suspect to the latter, IMO.

daveeym
05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Y'all are slacking. I'll get this thread back on track. Konerko's got a big mouth and always is talking smack about his teammates. He needs to go asap. I can't stand him. It's ozzie's place to talk **** about the players.

mzh
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Y'all are slacking. I'll get this thread back on track. Konerko's got a big mouth and always is talking smack about his teammates. He needs to go asap. I can't stand him. It's ozzie's place to talk **** about the players.
...teal?:?: