PDA

View Full Version : My username may still be relevant...

JermaineDye05
04-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2217680,CST-SPT-cowley30.article)

Cowley says "JD and Oz have spoken" per twitter.

GoGoCrede
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Would he even be in shape to start playing right away at this point? I don't know if I trust Cowley on this, anyway. Just on general principle. :)

Lip Man 1
04-30-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2217680,CST-SPT-cowley30.article

Lip

JermaineDye05
04-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Sorry, Lip, I beat you to it by 7 minutes :tongue:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2483177#post2483177

Coops4Aces
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Cowley wants him back but there have been no discussions or even contact from KW. Nonstory...(although I wish he was on the team)

SephClone89
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I've been tired of people bringing up JD all the time, but...

If Quentin goes down, Dye has to be on the radar.

soltrain21
04-30-2010, 10:52 AM
And who would go off the team? Kotsay?

WhiteSoxFTW
04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
I haven't read the article yet, because the Sun-Times website loads so ****ing slow. Does anyone else have that problem?

Edit: I finally read it, and the fact that Ozzie has talked that much about it is interesting to me.

guillen4life13
04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I haven't read the article yet, because the Sun-Times website loads so ****ing slow. Does anyone else have that problem?

Yeah. It's pretty bad. It's almost like it's telling you, "Hey man, we're going to give you a second to rethink your decision to read the drivel this guy writes. Feel free to close this window/tab at any time. Thanks - STNG"

pythons007
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
And who would go off the team? Kotsay?

please please please....

TheOldRoman
04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
This article is 100% speculation, and it makes no sense at all. The guys who are hurting the lineup the most are Quentin, the catcher, and the leadoff hitter who is one of only 3 lefties in the regular lineup. Dye can't catch, bat lefty, or hit leadoff. And yes, Pierre is still our long term leadoff hitter after he comes out of this slump. Replacing Pierre with Dye makes the team much slower and much more righthanded. I think Dye can still hit, but looking at the second half of last season and him coming in cold a month into the season, there are no gaurantees he would give us anything. Also, in the article he STILL says he is an outfielder, so he would be coming in expecting someone else to move to accomdate him. He seems willing to retire instead of committ to being afull time DH.

The only way the Sox should even consider him is if Quentin has a serious injury where he is going to be out a month or more.

slavko
04-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah. It's pretty bad. It's almost like it's telling you, "Hey man, we're going to give you a second to rethink your decision to read the drivel this guy writes. Feel free to close this window/tab at any time. Thanks - STNG"

It's slow now. It was geological when I had dialup 2 years ago.

SephClone89
04-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Cowley's columns are always literally unreadable. Why is there no spacing? I don't read walls of text on forums; I'm not going to read them on something that's supposed to be a prestigious newspaper.

Dibbs
04-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't care who leads off. You take out Juan Pierre and add Jermaine Dye, all of a sudden this team is more dangerous on offense. Quite frankly, the defense gets much better too because that means Andruw Jones will play the field almost everyday.

khan
04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
This article is 100% speculation, and it makes no sense at all. The guys who are hurting the lineup the most are Quentin, the catcher, and the leadoff hitter who is one of only 3 lefties in the regular lineup. Dye can't catch, bat lefty, or hit leadoff. And yes, Pierre is still our long term leadoff hitter after he comes out of this slump. Replacing Pierre with Dye makes the team much slower and much more righthanded. I think Dye can still hit, but looking at the second half of last season and him coming in cold a month into the season, there are no gaurantees he would give us anything. Also, in the article he STILL says he is an outfielder, so he would be coming in expecting someone else to move to accomdate him. He seems willing to retire instead of committ to being afull time DH.

The only way the Sox should even consider him is if Quentin has a serious injury where he is going to be out a month or more.

Great. The team is still 3rd in HR, but only 27th in OBP, 1st in SB, and mediocre in runs scored in MLB [I think in the teens when I last checked].

Regardless of handedness, or who leads off, or speed, this team has NEEDED a few more competent hitters. After Matui and Damon were gone, this is why I [and many others] wanted Thome. Now, JD may be all that is available.

TheOldRoman
04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Great. The team is still 3rd in HR, but only 27th in OBP, 1st in SB, and mediocre in runs scored in MLB [I think in the teens when I last checked].

Regardless of handedness, or who leads off, or speed, this team has NEEDED a few more competent hitters. After Matui and Damon were gone, this is why I [and many others] wanted Thome. Now, JD may be all that is available.So, 32 year old Juan Pierre, a career .300 hitter coming off a season in which he hit .308 is an incompetant hitter whose current perfomance indicates a horrible year, and 36 year old Jermain Dye, who hit .179 in the second half of the season is sure to rebound? I don't think so.

khan
04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
So, 32 year old Juan Pierre, a career .300 hitter coming off a season in which he hit .308 is an incompetant hitter whose current perfomance indicates a horrible year, and 36 year old Jermain Dye, who hit .179 in the second half of the season is sure to rebound? I don't think so.
Juan Pierre did do all of that. In the NL. I have read in the past that the SOX braintrust did not believe Pierre could hit in the AL. Pierre's best trait, his speed is declining rapidly as he ages. Pierre's inability to regularly hit the ball out of the infield will cause his career numbers to further erode.

JD also did hit poorly in the 2nd half, after having a highly productive 1st half. He also has more of a track record of being a competent hitter than many already in this roster.

It was pretty apparent to many this offseason that giving Ozzie more buttons to push was akin to giving a 5 year old a loaded gun. The "flexible lineup" hasn't worked. Ozzie routinely pushes the wrong buttons in a game, though he does many other things well. And the components of the roster are clearly inferior to the roster up in Minnesota and in other cities in the AL.

I prefer having a lineup with good hitters in it, so that the team more regularly scores runs, and the team wins. That meant Matsui or Damon or Thome or [a year ago] Abreu. Now, none of those guys are available, and [once again] the incomplete team made up of inferior parts needs to find a savior from the offensive perspective. [EDIT] JD may be this season's Podsednik.

#1swisher
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2217680,CST-SPT-cowley30.article)

Cowley says "JD and Oz have spoken" per twitter.

IMO, bring him back!
:)

TheOldRoman
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
They let the guys hit off a T in the National League, right?

No, Pierre's speed is not "declining rapidly". He may have lost a step, but he didn't lose 5 since last season. I can't find a stat anywhere, so I don't know how many of his 117 hits last year were of the bunt variety, but it doesn't account for a .100 point dip in average.

Also, for those people who think Pierre's awful month means he is done, you might want to look at the .175 average Jermaine Dye put up in April 2005. You weren't here for the "End the Jermaine Dye Experiment NOW" thread, but it is a hoot in retrospect, and we are seeing the same garbage about Pierre.

sullythered
04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I would welcome JD back with open arms at this point.

sox1970
04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Boers & Bernstein were talking about this, and I have to agree that Jermaine Dye can't play fulltime OF anymore. If he wants to play, he's got to be the DH and be happy about it. I also agree that Omar Vizquel serves no purpose on this team. So if they do sign Dye, it has to be as DH. I'd go with a lineup like this:

Rios CF
Beckham 2B
Jones RF
Konerko 1B
Quentin LF
Teahen 3B
Dye DH
Pierzynski C
Ramirez SS

Teahen and Pierzynski are interchangeable depending on who's hitting better at the time.

Bench: Nix, Pierre, Kotsay, Castro

It would be a desperate move, but they should be desperate already.

spawn
04-30-2010, 02:58 PM

No, Pierre's speed is not "declining rapidly". He may have lost a step, but he didn't lose 5 since last season. I can't find a stat anywhere, so I don't know how many of his 117 hits last year were of the bunt variety, but it doesn't account for a .100 point dip in average.

Also, for those people who think Pierre's awful month means he is done, you might want to look at the .175 average Jermaine Dye put up in April 2005. You weren't here for the "End the Jermaine Dye Experiment NOW" thread, but it is a hoot in retrospect, and we are seeing the same garbage about Pierre.
Well, since you mentioned it...*POOF* (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48352)

And there was really only one person screaming for Dye's head in that thread. Now don't get me wrong...I still think Pierre will turn it around. Howeer, with the team losing and Pierre struggling with runners in scoring position, or struggling period, it's no wonder fans are reacting the way they are.

asindc
04-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Well, since you mentioned it...*POOF* (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48352)

And there was really only one person screaming for Dye's head in that thread. Now don't get me wrong...I still think Pierre will turn it around. Howeer, with the team losing and Pierre struggling with runners in scoring position, or struggling period, it's no wonder fans are reacting the way they are.

The unintended comedy of that thread brings a smile to my face...:D:

khan
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
They DO allow NL hitters to face inferior pitching to that of the AL. The evidence of this inferiority is seen in the interleague games, the ASG, and the World Series in recent years.

It isn't "just" the bunt singles, but also the weakly-hit ground balls that he USED TO BE able to beat out. You know, the kind that he didn't the other day in the 9th inning v. Texas? Since he can't regularly hit the ball out of the infield, AND he isn't as fast as he used to be, his BA and OBP are likely to trend downward in this and future seasons.

I never said "he is done" when posting about Pierre. I DO, however, see him as being less-competent a hitter than JD. Hereto fore, he's done little to dissuade us from seeing him as anything close to competent.

spawn
04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
The unintended comedy of that thread brings a smile to my face...:D:
Indeed. :redneck

munchman33
04-30-2010, 03:47 PM
So, 32 year old Juan Pierre, a career .300 hitter coming off a season in which he hit .308 is an incompetant hitter whose current perfomance indicates a horrible year, and 36 year old Jermain Dye, who hit .179 in the second half of the season is sure to rebound? I don't think so.

Why are you so quick to give Pierre a break because he did well in part time work once in the last 5 years against the worse of the two leagues and so quick to give up on Dye based on two months? I'm not saying I think Dye's got anything left but he's by far a better hitter at this point than Pierre is.

mzh
04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Why are you so quick to give Pierre a break because he did well in part time work once in the last 5 years against the worse of the two leagues and so quick to give up on Dye based on two months? I'm not saying I think Dye's got anything left but he's by far a better hitter at this point than Pierre is.
Perhaps, but a middle of the order slugger isn't what we need. I don't see how Pierre's situation is at all relevant to Dye's.

doublem23
04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Perhaps, but a middle of the order slugger isn't what we need. I don't see how Pierre's situation is at all relevant to Dye's.

We're collectively slugging under .400 right now, we need everything we can get.

mzh
04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
We're collectively slugging under .400 right now, we need everything we can get.
So are we going to lead off Jermaine? :scratch:

munchman33
04-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Oh dear God, the leadoff thing.

Pierre isn't a good leadoff hitter. Not anymore. And he certainly hasn't shown anything to dissuade that. Right now, we're looking to replace Juan Pierre, the LF/DH. Dye is very relevant.

mzh
04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Oh dear God, the leadoff thing.

Pierre isn't a good leadoff hitter. Not anymore. And he certainly hasn't shown anything to dissuade that. Right now, we're looking to replace Juan Pierre, the LF/DH. Dye is very relevant.
Some people here cannot decide what we want. After a few disastrous seasons people are screaming to go back to "ozzieball" and get rid of the big thumpers. Less than one ****ing month into the season and people are already clambering to go back to the style of play that consistently drove us into the mud year after year. Yeah, remember the "End the Dye experiment NOW" thread? In retrospect, it seems pretty ****ing ridiculous. Give it some time to play out for crying out loud. If Pierre is hitting .200 one month from now, I'll be more concerned.

About not being a good leadoff hitter. A guy just doesn't lose that after one season. He's a career .290 hitter, and more than likely he'll snap out of it. The man has had 85 at bats in 2010. Just. Give. Him. Some. Time.

kittle42
04-30-2010, 04:18 PM
The myth that one needs a "traditional" leadoff hitter is just that - a myth.

That being said, Ozzie made clear in the article while talking about Dye that he refuses to have a guy who can only DH clogging up his beloved rotating DH spot. So unless Dye can play in the OF, there is no way he could come aboard.

mzh
04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
The myth that one needs a "traditional" leadoff hitter is just that - a myth.

That being said, Ozzie made clear in the article while talking about Dye that he refuses to have a guy who can only DH clogging up his beloved rotating DH spot. So unless Dye can play in the OF, there is no way he could come aboard.
Name a world series team that didn't have one.

munchman33
04-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Some people here cannot decide what we want. After a few disastrous seasons people are screaming to go back to "ozzieball" and get rid of the big thumpers. Less than one ****ing month into the season and people are already clambering to go back to the style of play that consistently drove us into the mud year after year. Yeah, remember the "End the Dye experiment NOW" thread? In retrospect, it seems pretty ****ing ridiculous. Give it some time to play out for crying out loud. If Pierre is hitting .200 one month from now, I'll be more concerned.

About not being a good leadoff hitter. A guy just doesn't lose that after one season. He's a career .290 hitter, and more than likely he'll snap out of it. The man has had 85 at bats in 2010. Just. Give. Him. Some. Time.

This argument is borderline ignorant of fact. I'm not trying to cause a fight or call you ignorant, but that argument is ignorant of the facts because it completely ignores the crappy below average player Juan Pierre has been since 2005. Seriously, the guy puts up a barely decent partial season once in a half decade and all of a sudden he's the player his career numbers indicate? That was never going to happen. Juan is an okay backup, and a decent stopgap at the bottom of the order, but he hasn't been top of the order type for so long it's embarrassing that members of our fan base think we should wait for it to happen.

doublem23
04-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Name a world series team that didn't have one.

The Sawx in '07 really didn't have one, they bounced around a number of guys at the lead-off spot. Julio Lugo started the majority of their games batting #1 despite having an OBP under .300 for the year. Ellsbury eventually filled the hole for them, but he only played in 33 G that season.

Rohan
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM
This argument is borderline ignorant of fact. I'm not trying to cause a fight or call you ignorant, but that argument is ignorant of the facts because it completely ignores the crappy below average player Juan Pierre has been since 2005. Seriously, the guy puts up a barely decent partial season once in a half decade and all of a sudden he's the player his career numbers indicate? That was never going to happen. Juan is an okay backup, and a decent stopgap at the bottom of the order, but he hasn't been top of the order type for so long it's embarrassing that members of our fan base think we should wait for it to happen.

I'm such an embarrassment :rolleyes:

munchman33
04-30-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm such an embarrassment :rolleyes:

Let me spoil the ending for you.

Juan Pierre isn't going to be the .350+ OBP 90 steal leadoff hitter you're waiting for him to be.

The Dude
04-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I sure as **** hope this is just blowing smoke. This team needs JD as much as they need Ozzie to stay the manager until he dies. :o::o::o:

Lip Man 1
04-30-2010, 05:19 PM
MZH:

It doesn't matter what style you play, "home run or nothing" or "Ozzieball"... if you don't have top talent to execute whatever style you choose, you lose games.

It's that simple.

Lip

munchman33
04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
MZH:

It doesn't matter what style you play, "home run or nothing" or "Ozzieball"... if you don't have top talent to execute whatever style you choose, you lose games.

It's that simple.

Lip

Amen. I'm all for whatever the team is trying to do as long as they've got good players in key spots. Jermaine is a better LF/DH option than Juan is a leadoff option.

mzh
04-30-2010, 05:53 PM
MZH:

It's that simple.

Lip
I don't think we have a disagreement on that part. I think people are giving up on Pierre too early, that's all. Ozzie decided to go "small ball" this year, and we shouldn't revert back just yet IMO.

munchman33
04-30-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think we have a disagreement on that part. I think people are giving up on Pierre too early, that's all. Ozzie decided to go "small ball" this year, and we shouldn't revert back just yet IMO.

If we were going small ball, why didn't we pick up a .350+ obp high steal guy to leadoff then? Optimistically with Juan full time we were talking .330 at most, and that was assuming no adjustment period moving to the harder league.

mzh
04-30-2010, 06:25 PM
If we were going small ball, why didn't we pick up a .350+ obp high steal guy to leadoff then? Optimistically with Juan full time we were talking .330 at most, and that was assuming no adjustment period moving to the harder league.
Who was available leadoff man that has a career .350 OBP?

munchman33
04-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Who was available leadoff man that has a career .350 OBP?

You trade for one then. If the plan was to all out go with this style of play, you don't fit the wrong pieces into it simply because they're the only piece vaguely resembling it easily attainable. You pick up the type of player you need to fit the system or you choose a different system. Anything other than that is certain...well, it's not like the offense detractors weren't screaming this all offseason. It's not the plan, it's the personnel. Pierre is a great 9 hole guy or bench guy. He'd be adequate leading off for a good lineup. For a lineup like ours, we are completely dependent on the top of the lineup getting on base and advancing in order to score runs (by this I mean enough runs to win ballgames). We don't have anyone like that on this team. I'm not sure it's fixable at this point, short of changing our style of play.

Rikirk
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Or is it all just a non factor...
discuss,...

cv sox fan
05-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Why are we down on Pierre but the always hurt Quentin gets a free pass? JD was better in right on his worst day than Quentin ever will be.Trade Quentin sign JD and platon Jones and Dye between DH and right field

NLaloosh
05-01-2010, 10:00 PM
What's shocking about this team is....how a team filled with low OBP guys is not getting on base a lot.

WizardsofOzzie
05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Why are we down on Pierre but the always hurt Quentin gets a free pass? JD was better in right on his worst day than Quentin ever will be.Trade Quentin sign JD and platon Jones and Dye between DH and right field
Trade a 28 year old who had a legitimate MVP season 2 years ago and replace him with a 36 year old who's stats have generally been declining since 06?? :scratch:

Lillian
05-03-2010, 05:12 PM

???????????????

Slappy
05-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I honestly don't mind the sound of that. I could be overreacting to Quentin, but not only is he not hitting, not getting on base, but he's a total injury liability. I don't trust this guy anymore whatsoever.

I think JD, at this point, is still capable is having as good a season Quentin overall.

That scenario sounds like a long shot, but with Quentin, Pierre and Beckham not performing, maybe we should make a move soon because before ya know it, We're heading into June in the same spot we're in now.

LoveYourSuit
05-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I think the time has come to send Quentin down to AAA.

I would be open to a Dye comeback if that's the case.

You're not losing anything with the glove, as they both suck.

mzh
05-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I think the time has come to send Quentin down to AAA.

I would be open to a Dye comeback if that's the case.

You're not losing anything with the glove, as they both suck.
Then what do you do if Quentin figures it out in AAA? As much as he'd like to be back, I doubt JD would be open to being a rental for 3 or 4 weeks. I still don't see it happening unless we cut Kotsay or something. Which I don't see happening either.

khan
05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Then what do you do if Quentin figures it out in AAA? As much as he'd like to be back, I doubt JD would be open to being a rental for 3 or 4 weeks. I still don't see it happening unless we cut Kotsay or something. Which I don't see happening either.
Here's the solution:

1. Send BOTH Quentin AND Beckham down.
2. Bring up WHOEVER, be it Lillibridge and Danks or Gartrell. It really doesn't matter.
3. Ozzie will [stupidly] play both Kotsay AND Vizquel everyday; neither are doing anything worthwhile.
4. ONE of Kotsay or Vizquel is likely to get injured, given their age.
5. Hopefully, by that time, both Quentin and Beckham have figured it out, and you can bring them back.
6. Sign another bat, be it JD, or another player.

mzh
05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Here's the solution:

1. Send BOTH Quentin AND Beckham down.
2. Bring up WHOEVER, be it Lillibridge and Danks or Gartrell. It really doesn't matter.
3. Ozzie will [stupidly] play both Kotsay AND Vizquel everyday; neither are doing anything worthwhile.
4. ONE of Kotsay or Vizquel is likely to get injured, given their age.
5. Hopefully, by that time, both Quentin and Beckham have figured it out, and you can bring them back.
6. Sign another bat, be it JD, or another player.
Implied teal? I don't think it's particularly smart to bank on a perfectly healthy player getting hurt...

beasly213
05-12-2010, 11:05 AM
If the Sox sign Dye...which I highly doubt they will.. he still needs at least 2 weeks probably 3 in AAA to get his swing and timing back. Still going to have to tread water for a while even if they sign Dye. Then you're also assuming he'll actually hit once he is back.

khan
05-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Implied teal? I don't think it's particularly smart to bank on a perfectly healthy player getting hurt...

A little bit. But then, I never thought it was particularly smart to have Vizquel and Kotsay in the roster in the first place.

I don't think that Ozzie and KW are particularly good at admitting mistakes, so I doubt that Kotsay and Vizquel will be DFA'ed. So, the next-best outcome is that they go away in some other fashion.

You never want to wish someone to get hurt, but then they never should have been in this roster.

khan
05-12-2010, 11:12 AM
If the Sox sign Dye...which I highly doubt they will.. he still needs at least 2 weeks probably 3 in AAA to get his swing and timing back. Still going to have to tread water for a while even if they sign Dye. Then you're also assuming he'll actually hit once he is back.

And your other option is that Quentin magically re-discovers his now 2-year lost swing? That is, IF he has it to re-discover in the first place...

KMcMahon817
05-12-2010, 09:05 PM
A little bit. But then, I never thought it was particularly smart to have Vizquel and Kotsay in the roster in the first place.

I don't think that Ozzie and KW are particularly good at admitting mistakes, so I doubt that Kotsay and Vizquel will be DFA'ed. So, the next-best outcome is that they go away in some other fashion.

You never want to wish someone to get hurt, but then they never should have been in this roster.

I mean, every player on the roster can't be of starting caliber. Baseball just doesn't work that way. There needs to be role players. I am not saying Kotsay should be playing as much as he has or that Omar is necessarily the right man for the job, but seriously.

mzh
05-12-2010, 09:20 PM
And your other option is that Quentin magically re-discovers his now 2-year lost swing? That is, IF he has it to re-discover in the first place...
This is more like his three quarters of a year lost swing... Before the first injury in LA, his power stroke was there and he was doing fine. After that he didn't start to figure it out till September, and now this. I think you give hima few AB's in AAA, because IMO it's not a problem like the pitchers have figured him out, it's either a mental or fundamental problem, i.e. something that can easily be fixed with a bit of coaching, and if it's mental maybe tearing up AAA will do the trick.

khan
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I mean, every player on the roster can't be of starting caliber. Baseball just doesn't work that way. There needs to be role players. I am not saying Kotsay should be playing as much as he has or that Omar is necessarily the right man for the job, but seriously.

Oh, I agree with you. But Ozzie and KW [again] fell in love with a ****ty player in Kotsay. They believed his ~150 AB in garbage time last season was a truer reflection of his abilities, moreso than the majority of the past few seasons. In addition, exactly what is Vizquel's role on this team? Sure, he fields his position well, and he ALWAYS will, but can he even get on base?

The ****ty offense SCREAMS for at least ONE decent bat on the bench. Especially when Ozzie lusts for "lineup flexibility." There isn't one bat of even AVERAGE MLB quality on the bat, and perhaps there are a few sub-average MLB bats in the starting 9.

NLaloosh
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I think a better option would be to sign or trade for Blalock and send down/trade/DFA one of Kotsay, Omar or Nix.

KMcMahon817
05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I think a better option would be to sign or trade for Blalock and send down/trade/DFA one of Kotsay, Omar or Nix.

Nix is out of options, and I don't think he is going anywhere.