PDA

View Full Version : Angels win with walk-off bunt

Iwritecode
04-30-2010, 09:29 AM
And the Indians pitcher isn't happy about it. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Chris-Perez-thinks-Kendrick-s-walkoff-bunt-was-a?urn=mlb,237650)

Wasn't it Pablo Ozuna that did this same thing a couple of years ago against the A's? I remember it was the first game back for Big Frank and there was a big WSI outing in right field.

DSpivack
04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, that was Pablo. After Mackowiak tied it on a HR in the 8th, I believe.

Perez comes off sounding pretty dumb here.

doublem23
04-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Seriously, what a crybaby. You'd think this was the first recorded suicide squeeze in the history of baseball.

asindc
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:J4qSvHeAot5haM:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_78PmS6zLve0/SWvC2a21gvI/AAAAAAAAAzU/o_BjIo1fUP0/s200/edwards_herman0108.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_78PmS6zLve0/SWvC2a21gvI/AAAAAAAAAzU/o_BjIo1fUP0/s200/edwards_herman0108.jpg&imgrefurl=http://kotitescorner.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html&usg=__Ilos3-kmfLqbYKYBy3_EpJ96Lb0=&h=194&w=194&sz=14&hl=en&start=4&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=J4qSvHeAot5haM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dherm%2Bedwards%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1)

"Mr. Perez, do I need to explain something to you?"

pythons007
04-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Seriously, what a crybaby. You'd think this was the first recorded suicide squeeze in the history of baseball.

Just to be clear it was a suicide squeeze. Just a normal bunt with 2 outs.

doublem23
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Just to be clear it was a suicide squeeze. Just a normal bunt with 2 outs.

What's more suicidal than bunting with 2 outs? :cool:

Huisj
04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Another reason to dislike Perez.

Wasn't he the guy who hit a few guys on the Sox last year in a game he blew? And Ozzie said he was dangerous and that Cleveland better get him off the mound because someone was going to get hurt with the way he threw the ball and had no idea where it was going?

Coops4Aces
04-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Wasn't he the guy who hit a few guys on the Sox last year in a game he blew? And Ozzie said he was dangerous and that Cleveland better get him off the mound because someone was going to get hurt with the way he threw the ball and had no idea where it was going?

Yeah he hit a few of our guys last year.

Watching that clip brought back some bad memories of 2000.

MarySwiss
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
And the Indians pitcher isn't happy about it. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Chris-Perez-thinks-Kendrick-s-walkoff-bunt-was-a?urn=mlb,237650)

Wasn't it Pablo Ozuna that did this same thing a couple of years ago against the A's? I remember it was the first game back for Big Frank and there was a big WSI outing in right field.

Yeah, that was Pablo. After Mackowiak tied it on a HR in the 8th, I believe.

Yep, that was a Core of the Core patio party. Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face, even though it made me miss the Metra, and I had to spend two hours at LaSalle waiting for the last train to Tinley Park.

That game had a little of everything! :D:

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2010, 01:27 PM
What's more suicidal than bunting with 2 outs? :cool:

Having a White Sox player lay down a bunt to move a runner over with nobody out.

Orta 4-6-3
04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
What a whiner.

In game 1 of the 1969 ALCS (the very first LCS game ever played, by the way), the Orioles beat the Twins on a two out, bases loaded squeeze bunt by Paul Blair in the bottom of the 11th.

Yes, I am old.

TDog
04-30-2010, 06:04 PM

Obviously, it wasn't a dumb play. It won a ballgame. There is no unwritten law of baseball that says you can't bunt in the winning run from third if the infield is playing too deep. If the defense is playing you too deep, it is daring you to bunt in that situation.

It wasn't a squeeze because there were two outs. A squeeze is a sacrifice with a runner on third. A squeeze concedes an out. It wasn't a suicide -- whatever -- because the the runner was not breaking to the plate as the pitch was being thrown.

The Immigrant
04-30-2010, 06:16 PM

I remember that. I also remember Oswaldo doing absolutely nothing to protect our hitters.

TDog
04-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I remember that. I also remember Oswaldo doing absolutely nothing to protect our hitters.

There was no reason to. The Sox were winning 2-0 and Perez, making his Indians debut after being traded at the end of last June, came in to pitch the ninth for the Indians. With his first pitch, he hit Ramirez. On a 1-1 pitch, he hit Dye. The he walked Thome. Later he threw a wild pitch to score a run. The Sox scored another on a groundout. They ended up scoring just four runs on two hits -- a double and a single.

There was no reason for Thornton, who came into the game in the bottom of the ninth, to hit the first two batters he faced. As it was, Thornton only lasted two-thirds of an inning, giving up a home run and a double and wild pitching the runner over to third -- probably because he can't close out games in non-save situations. (I don't recall if Jenks had been warming up before the Sox padded the lead in the top of the ninth and Guillen decided he didn't want to bring him in in a non-save situation for fear he might give up a couple of runs.)

Dotel came in, gave up a home run to Garko, but struck out Valbuena to finish off the 6-3 win. Unless Thornton had hit Choo, who had homered off of him, there wasn't even an opportunity to throw at an Indians batter.

Perez wasn't a headhunter. He was just wild. When he has his control, he's a tough pitcher to hit, which is why he's closing this year. If he had hit some White Sox batters this season, the Sox would have a better record against the Indians.

Usually teams do you a favor when they hit your hitters, as when Beckham was hit the other day after going down in the count 2-0, which led to a run. There is no need to do them a favor by putting their hitters on base.

It wasn't like Vicente Padilla had hit someone in the face with a fastball, as he did to put Aaron Rowand on the disabled list this year.

TheVulture
05-02-2010, 08:53 PM
As a fan, that's one of the most exciting ways to end a game I can think of. This guy's obviously not a fan of the game.

TDog
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
As a fan, that's one of the most exciting ways to end a game I can think of. This guy's obviously not a fan of the game.

I agree with you. And when you think about it, a sacrifice fly to win a game is more exciting than a home run to win a game, if the score is tied when the play starts. (If the home run turns a deficit into a win, it's a different story, of course.)

When you have a runner on third in a game-ending situation, the outfielders are playing shallow, and any ball they catch will draw a throw to the plate. You have that moment of tension as you wait for the outfielder to catch the ball with the runner tagging at third. Then you have the runner racing home to try to beat the throw

A suicide squeeze to end a game indeed would be very exciting to see, with the runner from third breaking for the plate as if to steal, and the hitter reaching out to bunt the ball before the catcher can catch it, putting it in play where nothing can be done to stop the run from scoring. I've never seen a game-ending suicide squeeze, even in the minors, and it didn't happen here.

Baseball can be a beautiful game.

october23sp
05-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Haha, that's one of the more exciting finishes in baseball, what a tool.

GoGoCrede
05-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't care what this guy thinks, but damn. What a ****ing bunt!