PDA

View Full Version : Opposing players you've clapped for

HomeFish
04-30-2010, 02:55 AM
I've given the following players a polite clap when they make their first AB in a game against the White Sox:

Frank Thomas
Herbert Perry
Miguel Olivo

I would almost certainly do this for Scott Podsednik too, but have yet to attend a game in which he bats against us.

(Herb Perry was my favorite member of the magical 2000 team and I own a Perry jersey that I still wear to games. Most recently, I wore it to Buehrle's no-hitter)

Rockabilly
04-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Carl Crawford
Ken Griffey Jr
Frank Thomas

soltrain21
04-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Ichiro.

asindc
04-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Derek Jeter.

WizardsofOzzie
04-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Frank Thomas when he went yard in his first AB against the Sox

doublem23
04-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Robin Ventura, at his 1st game back with the Yankees
Cal Ripekn, Jr., got a standing ovation in what turned out to be his last AB at the Cell
Jim Thome, earlier this month at his 1st AB with the Twins.

pythons007
04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Geoff Blum!!!!

Oblong
04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Not counting former players from my team (Tigers).

Participated in a standing O for Yaz, in his final game, for Ripken in his first game here after his streak, and Clemens in a 2006 game when he pitched very well, we figured that was it for him. Obviously I regret that one. The Ripken one was very cool because as soon as he came to bat everybody just got up and cheered and it was sustained. You could even see the broadcasters doing it.

I remember Edgard Martinez getting a nice round of applause from Tiger fans in his last at bat here. The scoreboard didn't even mention it or anything. I love when that happens because it shows that the fans are knowledgable and can appreciate opposition players for their achievements.

I also will regularly clap for great defensive plays by the opposition.

GoGoCrede
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Ichiro, definitely. I love him. I also love Kurt Suzuki, and have cheered him. Crede. Griffey. Thome. Podsednik.

WhiteSox1989
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Crede. And then the Sox got hammered and I almost froze to death. Fun times.

Also, Thomas, Thome, and Griffey Jr.

GoGoCrede
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Also, Thomas, Thome, and Griffey Jr.

My two friends were at that game, and they have a video of Crede's at-bat, because they were making a birthday video for me. They caught footage of some idiot running onto the field! lol! They looked utterly miserable in the cold. Not a fun game.

hi im skot
04-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Worst. Game. Ever.

What made it worse is that I went to the game with my Twins fan friend.

Woof.

WhiteSox1989
04-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Worst. Game. Ever.

What made it worse is that I went to the game with my Twins fan friend.

Woof.
Yes.

Iwritecode
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Frank Thomas when he went yard in his first AB against the Sox

It was a little more difficult when he did it in his second AB...

WizardsofOzzie
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Agreed, but he still got a clap from me the 2nd go around along with an "Ok, enough of this ****" :smile:

Rdy2PlayBall
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
It's never happened for me. I've never really seen any past Sox players worth noting playing against the Sox. At least at the time, they were already off the Sox for a while for me to not even care they were on the Sox at one point.

mzh
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Michael Barrett.

I'd applaud Joe Crede wherever he went.

akingamongstmen
05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I was part of a standing ovation for Ichiro when he went 5 for 5 off of Mark Buerhle a few years ago. Buerhle was laughing and clapping, too.

I was also at the game last April when Crede had his first at-bat against the Sox. I cheered along with everybody, then he proceeded to beat our brains in.

I'll usually applaud great defensive plays or great pitching efforts. I was at a game last year when the Sox were being no-hit until the 7th inning or so (by Boston I think), and the crowd gave the pitcher a big round of applause after we finally got a hit.

There's nothing wrong with appreciating good baseball!

Bobby Thigpen
05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Guys I've either applauded at Sox games or other games I've been to-
Ken Griffey Jr.
Albert Pujols
Barry Larkin
Tony Gwynn
Ichiro

beasly213
05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Frank Thomas
Robin Ventura
Scott Podsednik (First time back)

That is all. There are plenty of players across the MLB I like but if they're playing the Sox..even if they are former Sox players they won't get cheered by me. Even Jim Thome. Perhaps if he was on another team but I flat out refuse to cheer for anyone wearing a Twins Uniform.

hawkjt
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Glad you clapped for Pods. He gave the Sox some great moments.

TDog
05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I've never clapped for any player opposing the White Sox when such players are announced. I have clapped for opposing players who leave the field seemingly healthy after it appeared they were incapacitated. And events have inspired a couple of similar exceptions.

In 1977, I clapped for Gaylord Perry as he was leaving the field after being knocked out by the White Sox in a game at Old Comiskey. The day before, I had been working in the first-base photo box, next to the corner of the Rangers dugout. Gaylord Perry was sitting there, and the TV pregame crew had left a microphone there next to the dugout. There was a kid, who must have been 10 sitting there in the first row. Perry picked up the microphone and used it to pretend to interview the kid about what was going on in the game. It was an awful game, with the Rangers winning 14-4, but that kid probably had a great time. Somewhere, I have a black-and-white negative of it.

The next day, Perry started, and only got one out in the first -- a Richie Zisk foul out. Perry left the mound after a two-run Oscar Gamble triple made the score 5-1. He would be charged with 6 as the Sox went on to score 8 in the first on their way to a 12-4 win. I wasn't working or in a media area, so it was OK for me to cheer. When everyone else was cheering for the Sox knocking out Perry, I was cheering for Perry.

But to applaud even Frank Thomas when he comes to the plate against the Sox is showing disrespect for the White Sox pitcher. I would wait until he pops out or strikes out to applaud him. I wouldn't applaud a home run, as so many people did in 2006.

KnightSox
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. - The man should have been the home run king.

soxinem1
05-06-2010, 09:01 AM

And even more difficult his last time up late in the game facing Jenks.

LongLiveFisk
05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Frank Thomas
Cal Ripken
Nolan Ryan

TDog
05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Nolan Ryan

I hope you're not sitting next to Robin Ventura.

I was once at a White Sox game in Anaheim in the late 1990s and saw Robin Ventura booed. As the older gentleman sitting next to me told his (apparent) wife -- "he's the boy who charged Nolan."

When Ryan was pitching for the Rangers. Long after he left the Angels of his own free will.

Fans in Anaheim booed Carlton Fisk some years before that because he was going to break Bob Boone's record. The one Boone set as a Royal.

It is much simpler just to cheer for your own team.

bridgeportcopper
05-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I know one I'm going to cheer for when he makes his first appearance as a converted Royals relief pitcher...........

SI1020
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I've never clapped for any player opposing the White Sox when such players are announced. I have clapped for opposing players who leave the field seemingly healthy after it appeared they were incapacitated. And events have inspired a couple of similar exceptions.

In 1977, I clapped for Gaylord Perry as he was leaving the field after being knocked out by the White Sox in a game at Old Comiskey. The day before, I had been working in the first-base photo box, next to the corner of the Rangers dugout. Gaylord Perry was sitting there, and the TV pregame crew had left a microphone there next to the dugout. There was a kid, who must have been 10 sitting there in the first row. Perry picked up the microphone and used it to pretend to interview the kid about what was going on in the game. It was an awful game, with the Rangers winning 14-4, but that kid probably had a great time. Somewhere, I have a black-and-white negative of it.

The next day, Perry started, and only got one out in the first -- a Richie Zisk foul out. Perry left the mound after a two-run Oscar Gamble triple made the score 5-1. He would be charged with 6 as the Sox went on to score 8 in the first on their way to a 12-4 win. I wasn't working or in a media area, so it was OK for me to cheer. When everyone else was cheering for the Sox knocking out Perry, I was cheering for Perry.

But to applaud even Frank Thomas when he comes to the plate against the Sox is showing disrespect for the White Sox pitcher. I would wait until he pops out or strikes out to applaud him. I wouldn't applaud a home run, as so many people did in 2006. Here is the box score of that game. Congratulations on what appears to be a perfect memory. I've looked up many old games I've either watched or gone to and found that my memory is usually good. Not always, but usually.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197705010.shtml

soxfanreggie
05-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Not considering former Sox players: Jeter, Ripken, Jeremy Accardo, Matt Herges, and Danny Kolb. Either "gentlemen of the game" or former Redbirds.

twinsuck
05-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I'll clap for Brian Anderson once he makes his pitching debut against the Sox somewhere in the future. :D:

LongLiveFisk
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I hope you're not sitting next to Robin Ventura.

I was once at a White Sox game in Anaheim in the late 1990s and saw Robin Ventura booed. As the older gentleman sitting next to me told his (apparent) wife -- "he's the boy who charged Nolan."

When Ryan was pitching for the Rangers. Long after he left the Angels of his own free will.

Fans in Anaheim booed Carlton Fisk some years before that because he was going to break Bob Boone's record. The one Boone set as a Royal.

It is much simpler just to cheer for your own team.

I always thought Robin charging Nolan was really dumb. I sat in disbelief watching it happen thinking, "This is a joke, right?" It was a delayed reaction by Robin and you could tell he wasn't even pissed at Nolan.

By the way, the game I cheered for him was in (I believe) April, 1992. Fans knew it might be their last chance to see him pitch in Chicago, so the cheering was merited. He received a standing ovation and tipped his cap to the crowd as he walked off the field. That was when I cheered him; it's not like I cheered when he struck out a Sox hitter or anything like that.

I do not remember Carlton being booed in Anaheim. If he was, that's pretty lame. I mean, I wouldn't want a White Sox record being broken, but give credit where credit is due.