PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Paulie Powers Sox Over Rangers 4/29 Postgame Thread

Sockinchisox
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Wooo!

GoGoCrede
04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
A little too exciting at the end.

KnightSox
Hello offense, how nice of you to show up!

vinny
Ugly, ugly, ugly. But I'll take it.

WhiteSox5187
I haven't gotten the text from ESPN making it official yet, but that was a bit closer than I would have liked it to be. Bobby makes things a little too interesting.

GoGoCrede
LOL our thread titles are way similar.

soltrain21
*Eliminate*
*Deny*

I'm not a machine, I'm Paulie.

SephClone89
To answer voodoochile's question...

Coop had some sort of family emergency and he's supposed to be back with the team tomorrow in New York.

mzh
Nice to meet you, Mr. Offense. Hopefully a full time position will be available ASAP.

MushMouth
04-29-2010, 05:03 PM
bobby is scary right now

LoveYourSuit
Jenks just had to make it ugly at the end :rolleyes:

Winning Ugly is the theme this year, I guess take the W and run.

hawkjt
Bobby makes it way too interesting.

Whew!

PK is rocking...could be one of his good years,eh?

OmahaSoxFan
Paulie is the man!!!! Enough said! If you would have told me before the season started that PK would have 10 home runs by the end of the day on April 29th, I would have said the Sox would be at least 12-10 or better... I guess because of holes in our roster like Kotsay and Pierre... that isn't the case.

Anyway, happy for the win though! PK keeps picking us up when we need it!

On a side note, what the heck was that Bobby???

stevied23
04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
It's not a good then when I'm nervous with a 4 run lead with Jenks on the mound.

JermaineDye05
So any word on how long Carlos will be out with the strained quad?

Crestani
Great game for Paulie!:) But Bobby Jenks is giving me ulcers.:angry:

harwar
i'm just bloody glad they won ..

OmahaSoxFan
And Gavin gets his first W of this young season! Good job hanging in there!

voodoochile
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
I haven't gotten the text from ESPN making it official yet, but that was a bit closer than I would have liked it to be. Bobby makes things a little too interesting.

He struck out three guys sandwiched around a double. One ball just got away. Then a swinging bunt was the third hit.

I know people will whine about Bobby here, but the fact is he did great today save for one mistake to Smoak.

Oh well, whatever. On to NY...

:soxwin:

:twinslose:

:)

:supernana:

SephClone89
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Is Rongey on at all today or is it going straight to B&B?

hawkjt
04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Five games back now, with 140 to play...it's do-able,gang:D:

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
He struck out three guys sandwiched around a double. One ball just got away. Then a swinging bunt was the third hit.

I know people will whine about Bobby here, but the fact is he did great today save for one mistake to Smoak.

:soxwin:

:twinslose:

:)

:supernana:

I didn't see the game today so I'll take your word for it. It wasn't a save situation and he struggled, but has he blown a save yet so far?

BadBobbyJenks
I'll take it.

WhiteSox5187
Five games back now, with 140 to play...it's do-able,gang:D:

I'm not even going to look at games back until we get to .500, get to there and take it from there.

voodoochile
04-29-2010, 05:09 PM

bobby is scary right now

Bobby makes it way too interesting.

Whew!

PK is rocking...could be one of his good years,eh?

Paulie is the man!!!! Enough said! If you would have told me before the season started that PK would have 10 home runs by the end of the day on April 29th, I would have said the Sox would be at least 12-10 or better... I guess because of holes in our roster like Kotsay and Pierre... that isn't the case.

Anyway, happy for the win though! PK keeps picking us up when we need it!

On a side note, what the heck was that Bobby???

It's not a good then when I'm nervous with a 4 run lead with Jenks on the mound.

Great game for Paulie!:) But Bobby Jenks is giving me ulcers.:angry:

Do you people actually pay attention to the game or just read Ganeday?

Bobby K'ed 3 guys in the first 4 AB then gave up a solid single and a swinging bunt single that was hit so slowly I don't think Beckham had a play even if he did field it cleanly. I was worried about the final one too but Beckham managed to make the play.

Bobby had a great 9th inning today, bad luck was what made it interesting.

khan
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Thoughts:

1. Good thing this MIGHTY offense is no longer dependent on the HR to score runs.

1a. Well, the HR and the generosity of the opposing defense.

2. I'm ****ing sick of seeing Jenks' fat ass pitch like **** every ****ing time it isn't a save situation.

2a. I'm sick of Ozzie Guillen running Jenks' fat ass out there in non-save situations.

3. Sacrifice bunting with Ramirez to get to Pierre? Really?

3a. This "flexible" lineup that gives Ozzie more buttons to push is looking more and more like a bad idea. He's a poor in-game manager, though he does a LOT of other things well.

3b. Pierre really needs to be the 4th OF, and an actual DH has to be brought in.

4. Look for Quentin to be either ineffective and "hurt," or off and on the DL for the rest of the year. This is getting old, quick.

5. Hurray! Sox WIN!

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Bobby K'ed 3 guys in the first 4 AB then gave up a solid single and a swinging bunt single that was hit so slowly I don't think Beckham had a play even if he did field it cleanly. I was worried about the final one too but Beckham managed to make the play.

With a lot of people at work (and me not having cable!) I think there are probably more people watching this via gameday today.

LongLiveFisk
04-29-2010, 05:12 PM

I hear ya....let's no go back to the Billy Koch days when no lead ever seemed to be safe. :o:

Paulie is kickin' butt though! Is he the HR leader now?

LoveYourSuit
04-29-2010, 05:12 PM

There is a reason why people will whine about Bobby, maybe perhaps because outings like this one (mediocre) have happened way too frequently the last 3 years.

soxlady8
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
the home run RANGER !!!!
two nice bombs today and now is the MLB leader in HOME RUNS.
Glad to see he is playing so well ----

Good to see Gordon hittin' the ball today too !!

Pierre is like an automatic out everytime ... YUCK !!

Bobby in non save situations is TERRIBLE ---

but HEY ... a win is a win !!

HOPE they can win a game or two in Yankeeville !!

JermaineDye05
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Not the greatest of games. We got a big break in the 7th. Nice to see we took advantage in the next couple of innings by tacking on a few more.

vinny
04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I didn't see the game today so I'll take your word for it. It wasn't a save situation and he struggled, but has he blown a save yet so far?No, but he damn near got the loss in the second game of the Seattle series, again pitching in a no-save situation.

JB98
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Not very pretty, but I'll take any win we can get. Especially with the way the Sox have been playing on the road.

Two big pluses today:
1. Floyd's best performance of the year.
2. Beckham hit it hard four times and had two hits.

Floyd's victory today is the first of the season by a Sox right-handed starter.

Milkman43
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
I had to leave my computer to go to a meeting when Andruw was up with the bases loaded in the 7th. When I came back, it was 7-3. What a beautiful, beautiful thing.

vinny
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Paulie is kickin' butt though! Is he the HR leader now?Yep, took the lead with 10 over Kelly Johnson of the D-Backs.

LoveYourSuit
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Has any player in Sox history ever hit 10 HRs in April?

Baron
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Juan Pierre was benched btw guys

He'll be batting 9th when he isnt on the bench

Just got the tweet

SephClone89
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Tied Thome in '06.

soxlady8
04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
I heard he is hurt ??
What is all that about ??

TheOldRoman
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Thoughts:

1. Good thing this MIGHTY offense is no longer dependent on the HR to score runs.

1a. Well, the HR and the generosity of the opposing defense.

2. I'm ****ing sick of seeing Jenks' fat ass pitch like **** every ****ing time it isn't a save situation.

2a. I'm sick of Ozzie Guillen running Jenks' fat ass out there in non-save situations.

3. Sacrifice bunting with Ramirez to get to Pierre? Really?

3a. This "flexible" lineup that gives Ozzie more buttons to push is looking more and more like a bad idea. He's a poor in-game manager, though he does a LOT of other things well.

3b. Pierre really needs to be the 4th OF, and an actual DH has to be brought in.

4. Look for Quentin to be either ineffective and "hurt," or off and on the DL for the rest of the year. This is getting old, quick.

5. Hurray! Sox WIN!Your post is a beacon of intelligence and class.

jabrch
bobby is scary right now

He struck out three of the first four guys he faced.

slavko
Bobby scares me in a non-save situation. Bobby scares me in a save situation. Same difference.

AJ is back to life but Pierre's killing the team. He's uncanny. When there's a man on first he grounds to somebody. After the SH, when a ground ball would score a run, he pops up. He's got the Midas touch. Did I mention that he can't field?

jabrch
04-29-2010, 05:26 PM

ABSOLUTELY Voo....

I think people have pre-programmed responses to any White Sox stressors - and Bobby is one of them.

TDog
04-29-2010, 05:28 PM

It was ugly long before the end. The Rangers scored their first two runs because of ugly. The White Sox took the lead in the seventh because of ugly. The Rangers brought the tying run up in the eighth because of ugly. At least that's what the people in the game thread seemed to believe.

If Guerrero doesn't swing at a wild pitch on a 1-2 count to lead off the ninth, the ninth is probably less ugly. But you can't complain about ugly when you're winning ugly.

I don't complain about winning ugly because I don't complain about winning.

I was confident the Sox could win today if Floyd kept the score down. The unearned runs, which Floyd can't be totally absolved of, made things difficult. But I knew the Sox were going to score a few runs, as they did last night.

I wouldn't have bunted Ramirez in the seventh, not with the team down by a run on the road, not with Pierre and Beckham following in the order. As it turned out, Beckham walked and the Sox caught a two-out break, apparently with the help of their aggressiveness, to give them the lead.

Floyd seemed to look much better today. Beckham looked much better today.

Konerko continues to be the star of the team, although he makes people nervous if he comes up one out and first base occupied.

Overall, no complaints about today's game. The Sox should have won the series. Really, I think they should have swept the series. They lost two winable games. But not complaints about today.

TheOldRoman
04-29-2010, 05:28 PM
ABSOLUTELY Voo....

I think people have pre-programmed responses to any White Sox stressors - and Bobby is one of them.I didn't see the game, does it look like he put on weight in the last couple of weeks?

tick53
04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Way to go Cappy! :bandance:

konerko 14
04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Paulie!!! 10 HR's already :bandance:

jabrch
I didn't see the game, does it look like he put on weight in the last couple of weeks?

So hard to say - he doesn't look like fat bobby...but it is possible he's a few lbs up... Either way - I'll take him striking out 3 of the first 4 every time... This was as decent outing, where he had a big cushion, that had a bad break.

BadBobbyJenks
I didn't see the game, does it look like he put on weight in the last couple of weeks?

He looked pretty thin, the first two strike outs and then they switched camera angles. Definitely fat.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Some of us are at work and can't listen to the radio or watch the game. With that being said, some of us jumped to the conclusion that Jenks was awful again without having the real evidence to back it up.

I thought the same thing that many of the posters did.

SI1020
04-29-2010, 05:31 PM
I didn't see the game, does it look like he put on weight in the last couple of weeks? It absolutely looks like that to me.

Crestani
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM

I sincerely hope you don't mind if I disagree with the word great. Great to me is three up and three down..!!

BadBobbyJenks
04-29-2010, 05:34 PM

To be fair he gave up two ropes, a double and single. I am not sure Great is the right word. Stuff looked fine though.

GoGoCrede
04-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Congratulations to Floyd on his first win of 2010! :bandance:

TheOldRoman
04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
So hard to say - he doesn't look like fat bobby...but it is possible he's a few lbs up... Either way - I'll take him striking out 3 of the first 4 every time... This was as decent outing, where he had a big cushion, that had a bad break.

C'mon, Jab. You should know how much I enjoy the pound Bobby gains for each hit and walk given up.

He looked pretty thin, the first two strike outs and then they switched camera angles. Definitely fat.:D:

Does Pierre look fat, or does that just happen to pitchers when the do poorly?

EnglishChiSox
He looked pretty thin, the first two strike outs and then they switched camera angles. Definitely fat.

From the Rangers ridiculous camera angle he looked fairly rotund, and he looked a right fatty when trying to get down to the softly hit ball at him. Got the job done in the end.

wilburaga

The three Ks speak for themselves, but what concerns me about Bobby this year is that lefties are getting some pretty good swings off him, more so than I can ever remember. Thome, Kotchman, Smoak...

TDog
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM

I just followed the game on Gameday and I found it obvious that Jenks was the victim of bad luck.

The White Sox probably got more good luck than bad luck today, though.

BadBobbyJenks
04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Does Pierre look fat, or does that just happen to pitchers when the do poorly?

Now that Bartolo is gone, I believe only Jenks can look slim or fat from outing to outing.

TheOldRoman
04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Now that Bartolo is gone, I believe only Jenks can look slim or fat from outing to outing.Maybe Pierre gets shorter or something?:dunno: We will figure it out.

twinsuck
04-29-2010, 05:45 PM
A win is a win, but Bobby seriously needs to get it together.

doublem23
04-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Much rather he'd get beat on hits than start walking people like crazy. These are big league hitters, you just can't get them out by wishing. Sometimes guys hit the ball hard. :shrug:

I thought Bobby was fine. It's nice to have a cushion, for sure. :cool:

pythons007
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Blah blah blah, Bobby, blah blah blah sucks! If you strike 3 guys out in an inning and the inning isn't over, who's fault is it?

I'm at work, and watched the game on Yahoo. I saw runs score but then noticed he had 3 K's and the inning was still going. GMAB! Bobby is a good closer.

Would you guys rather have the likes of Gregg, Lindstrom, Dotel, Capps, Qualls, Nunez, C. Perez, whoever Baltimore's closer is now, Fuentes, Morales, Madson, Feliz, Franklin, or Rauch?

GMAB! Be happy you have someone that is reliable! Is that even possible here???

Gavin
04-29-2010, 05:58 PM
O'Day (http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=503285)(H, 3)(L, 0-1)

A hold and a loss. That's gotta suck.

voodoochile
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
To be fair he gave up two ropes, a double and single. I am not sure Great is the right word. Stuff looked fine though.

Okay, he had a solid outing. The pitch to Smoak was a mistake I agree. Center cut, thigh high and straight at 92. The single he gave up that drove in Smoak was a nice piece of two strike hitting I thought. Yes, it was a hittable pitch, but most strikes are. Ramirez did a good job of staying back and taking it to RF.

Looked like Bobby wasn't throwing as hard today but was doing a better job of hitting his spots. He had a couple of strikes right on the black that rung up the first two outs of the inning. If AJ smothers the wild curve that Vlad K'ed on instead of trying to field it with his glove, the game is over after the second on the black pitch I mentioned and the Sox win by 4. AJ's not a great fielding catcher though and he tried to field it on a bounce. It took a bad one and ricocheted off his shin guard toward the Sox dugout and Vlad walked to first.

I admit, I overreacted a bit but mostly because I'm tired of seeing a ton of negativity after wins. Come to the post game thread and people are griping about Bobby. Um... did you all notice the final score? It got me riled up. I was actually hoping Bobby would get a fourth K to end the game but it was not to be.

BadBobbyJenks
04-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Okay, he had a solid outing. The pitch to Smoak was a mistake I agree. Center cut, thigh high and straight at 92. The single he gave up that drove in Smoak was a nice piece of two strike hitting I thought. Yes, it was a hittable pitch, but most strikes are. Ramirez did a good job of staying back and taking it to RF.

Looked like Bobby wasn't throwing as hard today but was doing a better job of hitting his spots. He had a couple of strikes right on the black that rung up the first two outs of the inning. If AJ smothers the wild curve that Vlad K'ed on instead of trying to field it with his glove, the game is over after the second on the black pitch I mentioned and the Sox win by 4. AJ's not a great fielding catcher though and he tried to field it on a bounce. It took a bad one and ricocheted off his shin guard toward the Sox dugout and Vlad walked to first.

I admit, I overreacted a bit but mostly because I'm tired of seeing a ton of negativity after wins. Come to the post game thread and people are griping about Bobby. Um... did you all notice the final score? It got me riled up. I was actually hoping Bobby would get a fourth K to end the game but it was not to be.

No I get it, just wanted to chime in on what was in between Great and worst outing ever. I will never fully grasp the venom people here have for Bobby. We could do much, much, much worse.

TDog
04-29-2010, 06:07 PM

I think the most Frank Thomas ever hit in April was 9, although he had at least one other Whtie Sox season with 8. For many years, before players started juicing and ballparks started getting smaller, the record was right around 10 or 11. Richie Zisk only hit 7 in 1977, which might have been the team record at the time.

Taking nothing away from Konerko, but I think 7 home runs in April 1977 for a White Sox player was more impressive than 10 home runs in April 2010.

TDog
04-29-2010, 06:12 PM
... Um... did you all notice the final score? It got me riled up. I was actually hoping Bobby would get a fourth K to end the game but it was not to be.

I just got a chuckle out of the thought at how many bats Jenks missed today. He even missed Pierzynski's glove on a strike.

You would think that would make people happy. Too bad the Sox didn't ... oh, that's right.

Great win guys!

Lip Man 1
04-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm just happy for the win. Ugly or not.

Lip

DickAllen72
04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't have bunted Ramirez in the seventh, not with the team down by a run on the road, not with Pierre and Beckham following in the order. As it turned out, Beckham walked and the Sox caught a two-out break, apparently with the help of their aggressiveness, to give them the lead.
That was one of the dumbest decisions a manager ever made and fortunately the Sox were bailed out by a wild pitch and a muffed play at the plate.

TDog
04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
That was one of the dumbest decisions a manager ever made and fortunately the Sox were bailed out by a wild pitch and a muffed play at the plate.

Most managers make three or four dumber decisions every week. I saw Tony LuRussa make dumber moves this weekend. It was far dumber for Phil Garner to bunt in the ninth inning of Game 4 of the 2005 World Series.

Nonetheless, I don't believe you should be giving up an out when you are losing on the road. You're playing for a tie with Pierre coming up, and neither Pierre nor Beckham have done much of anything with runners in scoring position, or even runners at third with less than one out. Ramirez, on the other hand, has been hitting better with runners in scoring position than most White Sox players. Coming into today's game, he was hitting .357 with runners in that situation.

Things worked out. I'm not going to demand Guillen's firings or boycott the games because I think I'm smarter.

october23sp
04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Nice win.

Over By There
04-29-2010, 07:15 PM
No I get it, just wanted to chime in on what was in between Great and worst outing ever. I will never fully grasp the venom people here have for Bobby. We could do much, much, much worse.

Billy Koch is still fresh enough in my mind that I have never complained about Bobby.

Danielgosox38
04-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Konerko is a beast so far. Good win!

asindc
04-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Billy Koch is still fresh enough in my mind that I have never complained about Bobby.

Amen.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Maybe Pierre gets shorter or something?:dunno: We will figure it out.

He is slower. But once he gets his average up, he'll be fast again

ChiSoxGirl
04-29-2010, 09:27 PM
With a lot of people at work (and me not having cable!) I think there are probably more people watching this via gameday today.

You mean there is someone else besides me?! :o:

It was an ugly win, but whatever it takes to get one is fine with me!

jabrch
04-29-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm just happy for the win. Ugly or not.

Lip

Lip is happy? I don't believe it. :D:

SephClone89
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
You mean there is someone else besides me?! :o:

It was an ugly win, but whatever it takes to get one is fine with me!

I don't know if I could go without cable. Do you feel you get your Sox fix with WGN, WCIU and FOX (plus the radio, I assume)?

Dick Allen
04-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Paulie nearly had 3 HR's today. He hit one early in the game to the deepest part of the ballpark.

I normally would have had no problem with Alexei bunting in the 7th, except for who was up next. Between this and the decision not to pinch hit Jones in the 9th last night, Ozzie clearly has Pierre confused with Babe Ruth. That's pretty hard to do.

SephClone89
04-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Between this and the decision not to pinch hit Jones in the 9th last night, Ozzie clearly has Pierre confused with Babe Ruth. That's pretty hard to do.

I dunno, they're both left-handed.

ChiSoxGirl
04-29-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't know if I could go without cable. Do you feel you get your Sox fix with WGN, WCIU and FOX (plus the radio, I assume)?

I do. I listen to between 80 and 100 games a season. I don't limit myself to just watching the Sox when they're on WGN, WCIU, and FOX. I go out to a bar with friends to watch them occasionally, and have also been known to go over to a friend's house who has cable and watch the Sox that way.

In all honestly, I credit my knowledge of the game to being forced to listen to so many games on the radio. I've been following the Sox since my grandpa died when I was ten years old. He was the biggest Sox fan in the family. My mom told me that a couple days after his funeral, I was walking around the house with headphones on. She happened to be talking to my grandma on the phone and asked what I was listening to. I told her, "The Sox, for grandpa." She told that to my grandma, who immediately started to cry. From that June 1990 night on, there's been no turning back. :smile:

SephClone89
04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
I do. I listen to between 80 and 100 games a season. I don't limit myself to just watching the Sox when they're on WGN, WCIU, and FOX. I go out to a bar with friends to watch them occasionally, and have also been known to go over to a friend's house who has cable and watch the Sox that way.

In all honestly, I credit my knowledge of the game to being forced to listen to so many games on the radio. I've been following the Sox since my grandpa died when I was ten years old. He was the biggest Sox fan in the family. My mom told me that a couple days after his funeral, I was walking around the house with headphones on. She happened to be talking to my grandma on the phone and asked what I was listening to. I told her, "The Sox, for grandpa." She told that to my grandma, who immediately started to cry. From that June 1990 night on, there's been no turning back. :smile:

Great story.

I, too, love baseball on the radio. If only our radio team wasn't so poor.

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2010, 10:09 PM

I don't get WCIU (damn digital TV transition) and it seems like anytime they are on Fox I can't get a picture. So no, I don't get my Sox fix and it is eating away at me. I'd be a happy man if the only channels I got were CSN and the regular stations coming in clearly.

ChiSoxGirl
04-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Great story.

Thanks. I don't get to tell that story too often anymore, so it was nice to have the opportunity.

DJ is a marked improvement over Singleton, for sure! However, after spending 18 years listening to Farmer and Rooney together, who were voted the number one radio team in baseball in 2005 (I believe), anybody who follows them has tremendous shoes to fill.

Going back to my earlier post, not having cable serves as a win-win for me because not only do I save a lot of money every month, but I get to spend time with my friends when we go out to a bar to watch the game or when I go over to their places.

GoGoCrede
04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Great story.

I gotta disagree. I've listened to the past few games on the radio, and I really enjoy DJ and Farmer. But then, I've always enjoyed DJ for some reason. His voice is very soothing to me. There's only so much of Hawk I can take.

jdm2662
04-29-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't get WCIU (damn digital TV transition) and it seems like anytime they are on Fox I can't get a picture. So no, I don't get my Sox fix and it is eating away at me. I'd be a happy man if the only channels I got were CSN and the regular stations coming in clearly.

WCIU still has an analog signal on channel 23. It won't be a great picture, but it's better than nothing.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I was at the game today. It's the first time I've seen them win in person since 2004. Beautiful day for a day game, especially sitting in the shade. But the price was steep; $33 each for RF lower deck. At least we didn't have to pay for our two kids (7 weeks and 23 months, respectively). I hate that Arlington is only accessible by car. It's the largest city in the U.S. without any form of public transportation. Their voters continue to decline it, but continue to vote to pay for stadiums for billionaire owners.

Paulie was locked in. I hope he can keep it up in New York.

I hope Quentin recovers quickly. He had a nice game last night with the homer and the double.

Every time I watch the Sox and Rangers play, especially in Arlington, I am astounded at how much harder the Rangers hit the ball than the Sox do. The Sox ground out, pop out and fly out so much. The Rangers, OTOH, hit more line drives that go for doubles and triples. I think a big part of it is the differences between the two parks: the Sox are generally are set up to swing for the short fences, especially at LF at the Cell. The Rangers like to square up to the ball and hit it between LCF and RCF, where the gaps are huge, and where the jet stream helps give it a ride.

Finally, I really like Alex Rios and I'm glad the Sox have a legitimate 5-tool CF. However, I wish he would/could play more shallow in CF. He plays deep, which tells me that he's better at coming in than going back. That means that more batted balls will fall for singles in the "no man's land" beyond second base. Ultimately, if Jordan Danks earns his way onto the MLB club at some point in the future, it might be smarter to move Rios to RF or LF and let Danks play CF.

doublem23
04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
A win is a win guys. When you're only winning about 40% of your games, you can't stop and worry about how pretty they look.

:cool:

october23sp
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
A win is a win guys. When you're only winning about 40% of your games, you can't stop and worry about how pretty they look.

:cool:

I didn't get to see any of the game so all I see is the scoreboard and it looks beautiful.

Rikirk
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I think Paulie is making a statement...

And that statement is *Keep me on this team.*

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2010, 10:47 PM
WCIU still has an analog signal on channel 23. It won't be a great picture, but it's better than nothing.

Hmm, my new TV doesn't get 23 (it just says "no picture") - maybe my old one will.

WhiteSox1989
04-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Didn't get to catch the game today, but I did get to listen to Farmer and DJ go on a rant about why Blanco was wearing his sunglasses on his hat.

From what I gathered, Paulie can hit the ball, and Pierre still sucks.

doublem23
04-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Hmm, my new TV doesn't get 23 (it just says "no picture") - maybe my old one will.

Is it an actual new TV or just new to you? I can't believe anyone actually builds a TV anymore that can't receive over the air digital channels any more (unless you were shopping in a department full of Laser Disc players and Sony Walkmen). It could be that you just need an antenna. A lot of newer TVs can pick up digital channels but they don't come with antennas.

SephClone89
04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Didn't get to catch the game today, but I did get to listen to Farmer and DJ go on a rant about why Blanco was wearing his sunglasses on his hat.

Hawk and Stoney did the same thing.

GoGoCrede
04-29-2010, 11:32 PM

From what I gathered, Paulie can hit the ball, and Pierre still sucks.

They ranted about it two nights ago as well. Methinks they need to let it go.

theamb
04-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I'd like to thank the Texas Rangers and their comedy of errors for the victory today

LongLiveFisk
04-29-2010, 11:48 PM

They ranted about it two nights ago as well. Methinks they need to let it go.

What cracked me up about the error was that afterwards he still kept the sunglasses on top of the cap. Guess he didn't want to feel like an even bigger ass and have people say, "Oh NOW he puts the sunglasses on!" :tongue:

soxinem1
04-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Why all this ripping on Jenks? A couple chinkers led to a few runs. So what?

He's throwing harder, freeer, and his off-speed stuff is good too.

It's not his fault that his team does nothing to get him regular, meaningful work.

He so much as gives up a baserunner and people jump on him.:scratch:

Enough already!!

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Is it an actual new TV or just new to you? I can't believe anyone actually builds a TV anymore that can't receive over the air digital channels any more (unless you were shopping in a department full of Laser Disc players and Sony Walkmen). It could be that you just need an antenna. A lot of newer TVs can pick up digital channels but they don't come with antennas.

It's new to me. I am getting cable for my birthday though.

GoGoCrede
04-30-2010, 12:07 AM
It's new to me. I am getting cable for my birthday though.

Is your birthday May 1st? I just kinda guessed. :tongue:

guillensdisciple
04-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Well, a wins a win. I'll take it. Now win the series against the Yankees and I will be a very happy camper.

JermaineDye05
04-30-2010, 01:32 AM

So did the Rangers' announcers and the BBTN crew.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Is your birthday May 1st? I just kinda guessed. :tongue:

What gave it away?! :tongue:

kufram
04-30-2010, 04:54 AM
From the Rangers ridiculous camera angle he looked fairly rotund, and he looked a right fatty when trying to get down to the softly hit ball at him. Got the job done in the end.

Yeah, what's with that? I reealy felt like I was at the park..... in the furthest seat from the plate in the CF bleachers! I wish MLB/TV would be a little more imaginative with the default camera angle on pitches. A little creative thinking wouldn't be amiss. A dugout view of pitches sometimes, for example. Or a zoom of a left-fielders viewing angle on a base hit. I'd love to see a good infield play from the outfield... over the infielder's shoulder. We have the cameras already there, don't we?

soxstarter
04-30-2010, 06:01 AM
I think Paulie is making a statement...

And that statement is *Keep me on this team.*

:)Oh yeah!

asindc
04-30-2010, 09:09 AM

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

dickallen15
04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Bobby Jenks has made nine appearances this season and retired the side in order once.

Rockin Robin
04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Bobby Jenks has made nine appearances this season and retired the side in order once.

I can't decide if thats more or less scary than an everyday leadoff man going a full month without an extra base hit.

khan
04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Why all this ripping on Jenks? A couple chinkers led to a few runs. So what?
Not trying to represent myself as "negative," but it is infinitely disappointing when a multi-million dollar ballplayer can't focus on non-save opportunities. This team's margin for error is already razor-thin. Him looking shaky in non-save situations isn't a good thing for this team.

The other disappointing factor is Ozzie's proclivity to put players into positions to fail:
Thome hitting v. lefties;
Erstad and Mackowiac as starting CF;
Trying the K-machine Juan Uribe in the #2 hole; Even more recent events:

Letting the team's ****tiest hitter [Pierre] hit in a game situation when the team's BEST HITTER [Jones] is on the bench;
Bunting with Ramirez [who has been hitting better with men on base] to get to Pierre and Beckham;
Putting Jenks into non-save situations, where he's failed over and over again.

I'm a fan of the SOX, Jenks, and Ozzie. And I will always cheer whoever defends our colors. But making the same stupid mistakes, be it a player, a manager, or a front office person over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is tiresome.

It seemed like the SOX won, despite Ozzie and despite Jenks. We're all happy with the outcome [myself included], but you don't want to regularly depend on ugly wins.

slavko
04-30-2010, 01:13 PM

After seeing the Beckham non-play for the first time, he got a slow jump coming in, thought Jenks would field it. With that said, the play became tough. Handled the final out like the pro he is. At least Bobby's control was fine. Walks would have made the difference.

voodoochile
04-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Not trying to represent myself as "negative," but it is infinitely disappointing when a multi-million dollar ballplayer can't focus on non-save opportunities. This team's margin for error is already razor-thin. Him looking shaky in non-save situations isn't a good thing for this team.

The other disappointing factor is Ozzie's proclivity to put players into positions to fail:
Thome hitting v. lefties;
Erstad and Mackowiac as starting CF;
Trying the K-machine Juan Uribe in the #2 hole; Even more recent events:

Letting the team's ****tiest hitter [Pierre] hit in a game situation when the team's BEST HITTER [Jones] is on the bench;
Bunting with Ramirez [who has been hitting better with men on base] to get to Pierre and Beckham;
Putting Jenks into non-save situations, where he's failed over and over again.

I'm a fan of the SOX, Jenks, and Ozzie. And I will always cheer whoever defends our colors. But making the same stupid mistakes, be it a player, a manager, or a front office person over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is tiresome.

It seemed like the SOX won, despite Ozzie and despite Jenks. We're all happy with the outcome [myself included], but you don't want to regularly depend on ugly wins.

Did you actually see the 9th inning or were you following on radio or gameday?

Bobby focused just fine yesterday, he had two flukish plays that led to the runs being scored.

khan
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Did you actually see the 9th inning or were you following on radio or gameday?

Bobby focused just fine yesterday, he had two flukish plays that led to the runs being scored.
[EDIT] I did watch parts of the game, including the entirety of the bottom of the 9th.

I did see the ball that Smoak smoked to a double that should have been a triple or more, if Smoak's brain wasn't on vacation. Bobby hardly looked "great" or "dominant" in allowing this rookie to get an extra base hit. This double was a no-doubter. It wasn't a fluke, and it made me think to myself, "here we go again" with this non-save situation BS.

Yes, I'm happy about the outcome of the game, but Bobby did not look "great" in his appearance. I would term his work yesterday as "adequate," and nothing more.

voodoochile
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I did see the ball that Smoak smoked to a double that should have been a triple or more, if Smoak's brain wasn't on vacation. Bobby hardly looked "great" or "dominant" in allowing this rookie to get an extra base hit.

Yes, I'm happy about the outcome of the game, but Bobby did not look "great" in his appearance. I would term his work yesterday as "adequate," and nothing more.

Aside from that hit, did you see the rest of the inning? Did you see him striking out the 3 players that sandwiched Smoak's double?

Bobby had a solid night last night and ran into some horrible luck that led to all of the runs being scored.

dickallen15
04-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Aside from that hit, did you see the rest of the inning? Did you see him striking out the 3 players that sandwiched Smoak's double?

Bobby had a solid night last night and ran into some horrible luck that led to all of the runs being scored.

We seem to get that a lot from Bobby, he was just unlucky. Again, 9 appearances, 1 inning the side is retired in order. He's making things way too interesting for a team with several options for closers and the salary he commands now and will command in the future.

khan
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM

See my edited post above this one. I maintain that Bobby was merely adequate. He did nothing to dissuade me from the view that he apparently has a lowered degree of focus in non-save situations. He did nothing that makes me feel good about Ozzie's decision to put yet another player into a position to fail [again].

[EDIT] As DickAllen15 states, Jenks' obese salary would look good if it were put to use elsewhere in the team, such as a competent hitter. There are other pitchers already in the roster that can make the 9th inning every bit as interesting as Jenks, but for millions of dollars less than he.

voodoochile
04-30-2010, 02:03 PM
We seem to get that a lot from Bobby, he was just unlucky. Again, 9 appearances, 1 inning the side is retired in order. He's making things way too interesting for a team with several options for closers and the salary he commands now and will command in the future.

I'm only talking about yesterday...

Shoeless
04-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Such Paulie power merits a signature change...everyone laugh at the projected number!