PDA

View Full Version : The most hated team in MLB is....

WizardsofOzzie
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
The Indians?? :scratch:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5146663

MeteorsSox4367
04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
I saw that this morning on TV. How is Cleveland the most hated team? They're in the same division with the Sox and I have no real animosity toward them.

Yankees? Hate 'em. Cubs and Boston? Sick of 'em.

Cleveland? I've no problem with 'em. I actually like Sizemore as a player.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
And the Sox are the 7th? Whatever.

DumpJerry
04-29-2010, 01:03 PM
The Reds are tied with the Red Sox for second? What did they do wrong? Was it allowing Johnny Bench to make those Gilette ads in the 70's? Maybe the algorithm Nielson used got the Red Sox and Reds mixed up and the Red Sox should really be off the charts, which is understandable.

PalehosePlanet
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
The fact that The Indians, of all teams, are #1 tells you all you need to know about the validity of this poll.

What a crock.

october23sp
04-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Somethiing went seriously wrong while conducting this.

TDog
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
The Reds are tied with the Red Sox for second? What did they do wrong? Was it allowing Johnny Bench to make those Gilette ads in the 70's? Maybe the algorithm Nielson used got the Red Sox and Reds mixed up and the Red Sox should really be off the charts, which is understandable.

There obviously is an Ohio bias in the poll. Reds fans hate the Indians and Indians fans hate the Reds. One team is in the north and the other in the south. There is no middle ground in the middle ground.

The three most hated teams in Illinois, I'm sure, are the Cardinals, Cubs and White Sox. They're also the most popular.

g0g0
04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
There obviously is an Ohio bias in the poll. Reds fans hate the Indians and Indians fans hate the Reds. One team is in the north and the other in the south. There is no middle ground in the middle ground.

The three most hated teams in Illinois, I'm sure, are the Cardinals, Cubs and White Sox. They're also the most popular.

:lol:

bnlfanmatt
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
And the Sox are the 7th? Whatever.

It was probably a poll of sportswriters then.

mzh
04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
What exactly have the Nationals, Reds, and Indians done to be hated other than being bad :scratch:.

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
From the description of the logarithm in the article it kinda sounds like it measures fan's dissatisfaction with a team rather than hatred.

wilburaga
04-29-2010, 02:17 PM
The designers of that algorithm need to go back to the drawing board.

BeeBeeRichard
04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Based on data collected during intermission halfway through screening of "Major League."

mzh
04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Based on data collected during intermission halfway through screening of "Major League."
:rolling: POTW!

DaveFeelsRight
04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
And the Sox are the 7th? Whatever.you think people don't hate us? you AJ and ozzie to thank for that.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Wow, stupid

Moses_Scurry
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
The poll is not the "most hated by fans of other teams". It's the most hated period. The Jndjans probably have a pretty large contingent of their own fans that don't like them very much right now. Plus all the people who don't like the racial team name probably add to the list.

So, for the Indians, you have 1) Fans of other teams that hate them, 2) Fans of the Indians that hate them, and 3) Non-baseball fans that are offended by the name, mascot, etc. It doesn't surprise me that they are #1.

The Yanks may be hated by many non-Yankee fans, but the huge number of Yankee fans who have no reason to dislike them probably balance it out.

IlliniSox4Life
04-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Alright, ESPN once again doing a great job of not understanding things.

Here (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/giants-as-tops-among-baseballs-sentimental-favorites/)is a link to an article explaining more about the poll from nielsen.

Basically, they took all online messages about a team from April 4 to the 25th and rated them as positive, negative, or neutral. They then used the amount/ratio of positive to negative posts to determine the ranking. What ESPN doesn't realize is that most people making posts about teams are FANS of those teams and they dont hate them. Just because I make a negative post about the Sox doesn't mean I hate the Sox. This poll is more of a "fan satisfaction" ranking than anything else. Also, they note that certain teams fell or rose from their Spring Training rank to their current rank. The Astros went from the #11 favorite team to the #27 team. There is no way that a team can move that fast as far as being hated.