PDA

View Full Version : Rays attendance

LITTLE NELL
04-29-2010, 06:32 AM
The Rays are right now the best team in baseball but someone forgot to tell their fans, a little over 10,000 Tues and the same last night. Even the players are starting to show concern.
What a shame, they need to get a new stadium quick.
Most of the media is pushing for a stadium closer to downtown Tampa which would help immensely.

ewokpelts
04-29-2010, 08:19 AM
The Rays are right now the best team in baseball but someone forgot to tell their fans, a little over 10,000 Tues and the same last night. Even the players are starting to show concern.
What a shame, they need to get a new stadium quick.
Most of the media is pushing for a stadium closer to downtown Tampa which would help immensely.bad economy and crappy stadium. bad mix.

and where have i heard this before?

g0g0
04-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I wouldn't mind getting rid of both Tampa and Florida from the league.

ewokpelts
04-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't mind getting rid of both Tampa and Florida from the league.
well, the marlins have a new stadium coming in 2012. I doubt they are going anytime soon.

as for the rays, it's april. a bad economy, and a bad stadium situation. wait til kids are out of school.

beasly213
04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
well, the marlins have a new stadium coming in 2012. I doubt they are going anytime soon.

as for the rays, it's april. a bad economy, and a bad stadium situation. wait til kids are out of school.

So when the kids are out of school they'll draw 19K if they're lucky. Baseball in Florida doesn't seem to want to work. Even when they put good teams out there people don't show up.

I don't buy the excuse of the stadium being to far away from everyone either. Tampa to St. Pete is what? 30 minutes?

ewokpelts
04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
So when the kids are out of school they'll draw 19K if they're lucky. Baseball in Florida doesn't seem to want to work. Even when they put good teams out there people don't show up.

I don't buy the excuse of the stadium being to far away from everyone either. Tampa to St. Pete is what? 30 minutes?
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

rays are 19th in total attendance. white sox are 13th. with only 30k or so difference between them.

LITTLE NELL
04-29-2010, 10:05 AM

St. Pete is a ghost town in the summer, a lot more snowbirds than Tampa. Another problem is that most people are from somewhere else and like me only make the trip when their team is playing the Rays.
We have moved closer to Tampa-St Pete and live in a 55 and over community with lots of activities including some bus trips to the Trop about 4 times a year. We plan on going to the next one and also going on May 30th to see the Sox even though by then I might be a Rays fan. (Just kidding)

WhiteSoxFTW
04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I attended the Devil Ray's sixth game of their existence in 1998. Wilson Alvarez started against Jason Bere and the Rays won 5-0. I was 12 years old, and I remember that place being dark, dreary, and kind of dump then. I can't imagine what it looks like now.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA199804050.shtml

Wow, just look at that Devil Rays roster. I remember as a kid Wade Boggs and Fred McGriff were pretty big names to me. Heh.

Hitmen77
04-29-2010, 11:13 AM
I attended the Devil Ray's sixth game of their existence in 1998. Wilson Alvarez started against Jason Bere and the Rays won 5-0. I was 12 years old, and I remember that place being dark, dreary, and kind of dump then. I can't imagine what it looks like now.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA199804050.shtml

Wow, just look at that Devil Rays roster. I remember as a kid Wade Boggs and Fred McGriff were pretty big names to me. Heh.

Matt Karchner....what ever happened to that guy. Did the White Sox trade him or something?

soxfanatlanta
04-29-2010, 11:30 AM
A new stadium will not help much.

NardiWasHere
04-29-2010, 11:32 AM
wait til kids are out of school.

They have kids in Tampa?

gregoriop
04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
They have kids in Tampa?

Seniors are still somebody's kids.

roylestillman
04-29-2010, 12:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

rays are 19th in total attendance. white sox are 13th. with only 30k or so difference between them.

Sort by average attendance and they are 21st and we are 19th. We're averaging only 700 more per game than they are.

ewokpelts
04-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Sort by average attendance and they are 21st and we are 19th. We're averaging only 700 more per game than they are.avg attendance is a little off, as some teams have only played a few games at home(yankees)

beasly213
04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Sort by average attendance and they are 21st and we are 19th. We're averaging only 700 more per game than they are.

They are also a much better team then we are. They also play indoors while we have had to deal with temps in the upper 30s, and lots of rain.

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Things are picking up, 12,000 last night, KC in town and another win.

HomeFish
04-30-2010, 07:16 AM
They have a pretty iron-clad deal with the Trop. Moving to Tampa would require a massive buyout. Who would pay for it?

Red Barchetta
04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Attendance will always be a challenge for the Rays if they stay in St. Pete. I live in the Sarasota area and the entire Tampa Bay area is connected by a series of expressways that go around the bay. St. Pete is located on the west side of the bay, so basically they lose the majority of casual, walk up fans who come from the east side of Tampa or the Branden, Lakeland areas. If there was as straight line through the water, it would be easier, however you need to drive around the bay to get there.

It's too bad because they do have a very good, young team and the new ownership has really built a winning product. There has been talk about political actions to get them out of St. Pete.

Personally, I would love for them to build a quasi-downtown ballpark on the east side of downtown Tampa, perhaps near the Ybor district and like Camden Yards, establish the old town Tampa cigar factories era feel.

Florida is beautiful most of the year and it's a shame they play in such a poorly designed, dark, concrete dome. Remember, the dome opened in 1990, eight years before the Rays started playing there so only the Red Sox, A's, Blue Jays, Marlins, Dodgers, Cubs, Royals and Angels play in older ballparks (and the last 4 have either performed major renovations or have them planned with the Marlins moving out of their football stadium ballpark in 2012.

After moving to the Sarasota area in 2005, I think a retractable roof ballpark is the only way to go for Florida baseball. April and May nights are beautiful, however come June, July, August, I'm sure the roof will need to be closed most of the time similar to Arizona and Houston. September and October (?) is also great nightime weather.

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Attendance will always be a challenge for the Rays if they stay in St. Pete. I live in the Sarasota area and the entire Tampa Bay area is connected by a series of expressways that go around the bay. St. Pete is located on the west side of the bay, so basically they lose the majority of casual, walk up fans who come from the east side of Tampa or the Braden, Lakeland areas. If there was as straight line through the water, it would be easier, however you need to drive around the bay to get there.

It's too bad because they do have a very good, young team and the new ownership has really built a winning product. There has been talk about political actions to get them out of St. Pete.

Personally, I would love for them to build a quasi-downtown ballpark on the east side of downtown Tampa, perhaps near the Ybor district and like Camden Yards, establish the old town Tampa cigar factories era feel.

Florida is beautiful most of the year and it's a shame they play in such a poorly designed, dark, concrete dome. Remember, the dome opened in 1990, eight years before the Rays started playing there so only the Red Sox, A's, Blue Jays, Marlins, Dodgers, Cubs, Royals and Angels play in older ballparks (and the last 4 have either performed major renovations or have them planned with the Marlins moving out of their football stadium ballpark in 2012.

After moving to the Sarasota area in 2005, I think a retractable roof ballpark is the only way to go for Florida baseball. April and May nights are beautiful, however come June, July, August, I'm sure the roof will need to be closed most of the time similar to Arizona and Houston. September and October (?) is also great nightime weather.

Good point, in fact I'm still wondering which way I should get to the Trop in May now that we live in Sebring.
Should I come up from the south over the Sunshine Skyway bridge or come through Tampa and head south, either way I have to go out of the way.

ewokpelts
04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
They have a pretty iron-clad deal with the Trop. Moving to Tampa would require a massive buyout. Who would pay for it?tampa's ownership floated a scheme to redevelop the florida suncoast dome property into mixed residential/retail. but that was in spring 2008. the money isnt simply there now.

if that would have worked, thier lease would be bought out, and they would use the proceeds to build a new facilty on the site of their spring training complex.

Red Barchetta
04-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Good point, in fact I'm still wondering which way I should get to the Trop in May now that we live in Sebring.
Should I come up from the south over the Sunshine Skyway bridge or come through Tampa and head south, either way I have to go out of the way.

Definetely come up I275 and go over the Sunshine Skyway. Faster and definitely more scenic! :smile:

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Definetely come up I275 and go over the Sunshine Skyway. Faster and definitely more scenic! :smile:

Always went that way when we lived in Bonita Springs, always get a thrill driving over the Skyway.

FloridaTigers
04-30-2010, 08:03 PM
St. Pete/Tampa is a small metro location compared to other teams. The reason the Marlins don't draw is their stadium sucks and is in a bad neighborhood waaay outside of Miami.

theamb
04-30-2010, 11:07 PM
bad economy and crappy stadium. bad mix.

and where have i heard this before?

I'm pretty sure I read an article that the Rays have the highest TV ratings so far this season.

So, I'd venture the stadium situation and economy is a part of it.