PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's not getting fired - deal with it

thomas35forever
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
If anyone thinks Ozzie is gone anytime soon, think again. Walker may go, but not Ozzie. This organization hasn't fired a manager before the season ended since 1995 and that was under old management. Kenny will be fired before Ozzie because Kenny has the patience of a saint and won't jump to the conclusion that the manager is the problem. Now I don't know exactly what goes on in his mind, but whatever it is, it's not getting Ozzie fired, so stop wasting your breath, everyone.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2010, 11:29 PM
If, by "deal with it", you mean "Stop watching the games and stop buying tickets and team merchandise until he is fired", I'm very quickly dealing with it.

SephClone89
04-28-2010, 11:34 PM
If, by "deal with it", you mean "Stop watching the games and stop buying tickets and team merchandise until he is fired", I'm very quickly dealing with it.

:rolleyes:

Danielgosox38
04-28-2010, 11:35 PM
:rolleyes:

Why roll your eyes? What he said was the truth. Why should we spend our hard earned money, on a terrible product, along with an idiot manager?

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Why roll your eyes? What he said was the truth. Why should we spend our hard earned money, on a terrible product, along with an idiot manager?Because people who quit watching games in April deserve an eye roll.

Craig Grebeck
04-29-2010, 12:07 AM
I haven't spent a dime directly on the White Sox since Ozzie dropped a homophobic slur a few years back. Shouldn't be too hard to steer clear if I'm that fed up with his managing this season.

bunty_doghunter
04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Because people who quit watching games in April deserve an eye roll.
May is nigh.

BadBobbyJenks
04-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Oh, well that settles it then.

Can I add you to my friends list Kenny?

PhillipsBubba
04-29-2010, 12:18 AM

That's the only message that resonates with Reinsdorf.

jabrch
04-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Because people who quit watching games in April deserve an eye roll.

They also usually are all talk...

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2010, 12:54 AM
They also usually are all talk...I suppose we'll find out, because if they stop watching the games, they won't have any reason to come here and post, huh?

jabrch
04-29-2010, 01:21 AM
I suppose we'll find out, because if they stop watching the games, they won't have any reason to come here and post, huh?

All talk...you know that.

If they were going to spend money this year, they will spend it anyhow. It's the casual fan who would spend money we will lose - not the real diehard who would spend money. There are diehards who don't spend money - and don't get me wrong, they are important to have - but they don't spend money - so **** em. I spend a ton on this team every year. And the hell if I am going to not enjoy going to games with my family/friends.

Boondock Saint
04-29-2010, 01:35 AM

If they were going to spend money this year, they will spend it anyhow. It's the casual fan who would spend money we will lose - not the real diehard who would spend money. There are diehards who don't spend money - and don't get me wrong, they are important to have - but they don't spend money - so **** em. I spend a ton on this team every year. And the hell if I am going to not enjoy going to games with my family/friends.

So let me get this straight: A fan is not the amount of money he/she spends on the team he/she watches, but if he/she doesn't spend money on the team, they're worthless? That's not contradictory at all. :rolleyes:

It's Dankerific
04-29-2010, 01:40 AM
The Sox aren't going to get any better (this year) - deal with it

jabrch
04-29-2010, 01:41 AM
So let me get this straight: A fan is not the amount of money he/she spends on the team he/she watches, but if he/she doesn't spend money on the team, they're worthless? That's not contradictory at all. :rolleyes:

That's so not ****ing close to what I said.

Boondock Saint
04-29-2010, 01:44 AM
That's so not ****ing close to what I said.

Really? Then please explain what I misunderstood about "There are diehards who don't spend money - and don't get me wrong, they are important to have - but they don't spend money - so **** em".

jabrch
04-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Really? Then please explain what I misunderstood about "There are diehards who don't spend money - and don't get me wrong, they are important to have - but they don't spend money - so **** em".

The team needs to have them. I personally don't give a rats ass if they spend money or not. That doesn't make them "worthless" and I never said that. I just said that I don't give a **** if people who don't spend money don't spend money. Hell - I don't give a **** if people who do spend money spend money - but I certainly couldn't care less if people who don't spend money don't spend it.

Slappy
04-29-2010, 02:04 AM
I don't want to start anything, but it seems silly to tell people on a Sox forum what they can and can't talk about relating to the Sox.

In any event, my interest in this team has gone down considerably since opening day. I no longer feel like I have to catch the Sox game, which is sad.

I will still watch the games, just not as many. I can't bear to watch Peavy get knocked around and Pierre hit little league grounders anymore. I will definitely miss games for a while out of lack of interest in watching questionable managerial decisions and embarrassing play, but I haven't bailed on the team or anything.

Is that a crazy idea? :rolleyes:

jabrch
04-29-2010, 02:09 AM
I don't want to start anything, but it seems silly to tell people on a Sox forum what they can and can't talk about relating to the Sox.

Where is that happening?

Slappy
04-29-2010, 02:15 AM
it's not getting Ozzie fired, so stop wasting your breath, everyone.

There?

kufram
04-29-2010, 02:23 AM

In any event, my interest in this team has gone down considerably since opening day. I no longer feel like I have to catch the Sox game, which is sad.

I will still watch the games, just not as many. I can't bear to watch Peavy get knocked around and Pierre hit little league grounders anymore. I will definitely miss games for a while out of lack of interest in watching questionable managerial decisions and embarrassing play, but I haven't bailed on the team or anything.

Is that a crazy idea? :rolleyes:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Naturally one loses a bit of interest in a losing team and if people want to bail that is their right also. It may not be a great season in the end but it is still too early to say. 10 games is a long time. The law of averages says that 4 or 5 guys will go on an absolute hitting tear at some point pretty soon. I keep hoping for that to happen. I don't think any of the players have given up as yet.

Hegewisch
04-29-2010, 07:29 AM
It is a little frustrating. However, I am trying to have some patience. This year I have invested in a 4 Seat Split Season package, Parking and Stadium Club. Looking at the empty seats, I do see the wisdom of someone who told me it was "Always Easy" to get seats at a Sox game. And, I should buy games as I choose and not to get the season package. However, its to late. If I had to do it over again for this year, I wouldn't of shelled out the $5000. I do enjoy the tailgates:gulp: and the game so, I hope if the Sox end up not having a great year I could still enjoy just the "atmosphere of baseball." I am already eagerly awaiting my tailgate and next game May 4 as it seems like a "getaway" from the hustle and bustle of life. I have went a little overboard buying merchandise this season and, am trying to stay away from the Grandstand as if to avoid a drug !!! Yet, one moment of truth was Tuesdays game, I pulled into the parking lot of Dick's Sporting Goods in Highland, Indiana and was about to go in to look at Sox stuff. I had AM670 on listening to the game. When the Rangers exploded, I just drove away out of my parking spot in anger. So, I guess I am starting to feel annoyed...........

P.S. I still don't get how Cubs fans can accept being "Lovable Losers" every year:scratch:. I am a Sox fan that wants to win. It is not acceptable to not be in the playoffs.:angry:

tstrike2000
04-29-2010, 07:43 AM

You think Peavy's ERA is going to stay near 8.00 and half the lineup batting in or near the .100's? No.

CLR01
04-29-2010, 08:01 AM
P.S. I still don't get how Cubs fans can accept being "Lovable Losers" every year:scratch:. I am a Sox fan that wants to win. It is not acceptable to not be in the playoffs.:angry:

They just keep telling themselves it is early and that as soon as the weather warms up everyone will go on a tear. Once September rolls around they tell themselves that nobody could have predicted the team to suck, that there is no use crying over it now and that management will fix the ship in the offseason. Come April, on paper, they have the best team imaginable.

g0g0
04-29-2010, 08:21 AM
I've actually enjoyed watching the Sox try something different this year. 8-13 isn't a disaster by any means. As far as not buying merch/not watching, I never equate what the team is doing on the field with buying decisions. If they are my favorite team, then I support them when I can. Too many arm chair GM's out there that think they can just magically change things around with their "expert" knowledge...

Johnny Mostil
04-29-2010, 08:25 AM
They just keep telling themselves it is early and that as soon as the weather warms up everyone will go on a tear. Once September rolls around they tell themselves that nobody could have predicted the team to suck, that there is no use crying over it now and that management will fix the ship in the offseason. Come April, on paper, they have the best team imaginable.

Heh. Well played.

soxnut67
04-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Fire Ozzie Fire Ozzie blah blah blah.

It's not Ozzie, it's the players, it's the organization as a whole. This organization has had a problem with situational hitting FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS. They've also had a problem with facing an opposing pitcher for the first time abot over the same time period.

Scouting, player development, advance scouting, approach to hitting, approach to playing the game the right way, aquiring players who are mentally strong have been the issues.

The easy scapegoat is always the manager---Ozzie was a genius in 05, now he's a knucklehead?

I understand what he's tryiing to do. The mentality of hitting home runs all the time to score is ridiculous. For years I've said I wish the team would take the approach that the fences were 500 feet away, so that they would actually focus on trying to just get a hit, not hit it out.

Oh well, they suck right now and amazing as it sounds they still have a shot because it is still early. The problem is even if they get it going in the right direction, there's always the thought of...when are they going to fall apart again.

For someone like me who has been a sox fan for the past 35 years, I'm already getting disinterested. And i'm almost cub-fan lke in my enthusiasm. But I'm tired of seeing the same crap and hearing the "it's still early" and "wait til the weather warms up" chants. Good organizations don't say that. For the division were are in, there's no excuse that we need to srtuggle like this every year. it's getting old.

russ99
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't get it. What's really the beef with Ozzie? He's still a good manager, and if you really think he had any say with roster decisions this offseason other than Thome, you're kidding yourselves.

He's working with the players we have.

Jerry/Kenny decided not to replace the salaries of Dye and Thome with equally-paid players so this is what we end up with...

SI1020
04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Ozzie was a genius in 05, now he's a knucklehead?
Not a genius then, pretty close to a knucklehead often lately.

soxnut67
04-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Not a genius then, pretty close to a knucklehead often lately.

ok.Is he the guy aat the play w runers in scoring position and not driving anyone in?

SI1020
04-29-2010, 09:00 AM
ok.Is he the guy aat the play w runers in scoring position and not driving anyone in? This may come as a surprise to you but managers often get fired when their teams lose games regularly. Unless of course they have some kind of life time security.

AlleghenySoxFan
04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Didn't Houston start out like 15-30 the year we beat them in the World Series? five games under .500 shouldn't be the end of the world. Yeah we suck but its not even May yet. There should be a rule against firing threads until June.

soltrain21
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Didn't Houston start out like 15-30 the year we beat them in the World Series? five games under .500 shouldn't be the end of the world. Yeah we suck but its not even May yet. There should be a rule against firing threads until June.

I love when people bring up this one example about a team turning it around.

SI1020
04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I love it even more when some think it's just April of this year when it's sub .500 ball since mid 06.

canOcorn
04-29-2010, 09:17 AM
I love it even more when some think it's just April of this year when it's sub .500 ball since mid 06.

Don't you remember 2005?

wilburaga
04-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Given that one of the major ticket marketing strategies is called the 'Ozzie Plan', I don't think our manager is going anywhere soon. He's the face of the franchise for now.

asindc
04-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Who is available to replace Ozzie that would make a difference? Not being facetious, I really don't know who is out there.

beasly213
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Who is available to replace Ozzie that would make a difference? Not being facetious, I really don't know who is out there.

Vinny Del Negro will be looking for work soon.

canOcorn
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Given that one of the major ticket marketing strategies is called the 'Ozzie Plan', I don't think our manager is going anywhere soon. He's the face of the franchise for now.

I sure as **** hope he's not the face of the franchise. We can easily change the "Ozzie plan" to the "Anyone but Ozzie plan" and I bet it sells just as good, if not better.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Let's see your opinion after the Yankee series this weekend. I'm not advocating firing Ozzie, I'm just saying that when we are 7-8 games below .500 on May 2nd, what will people be saying then?

Will it still be "early"? Can we catch up to the Twins? Maybe, but doubtful.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I sure as **** hope he's not the face of the franchise. We can easily change the "Ozzie plan" to the "Anyone but Ozzie plan" and I bet it sells just as good, if not better.

Like it or not, Ozzie IS the face of this franchise. And, he has been for several years now. Us as die hard fans might think Buehrle or Konerko are the face of the franchise. But, on the whole, Ozzie is that person.

doublem23
04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Ozzie shouldn't be fired if for no other reason than this crap is was his brilliant idea. He should have to sit front row and watch it implode with the rest of us, not kick back at his home in Miami. If anything, they need to chain him down to make sure he doesn't make a break for it.

canOcorn
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Like it or not, Ozzie IS the face of this franchise. And, he has been for several years now. Us as die hard fans might think Buehrle or Konerko are the face of the franchise. But, on the whole, Ozzie is that person.

I hope you're not correct because Ozzie is a dip****.

Tragg
04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm sure he's not getting fired.
But he's still done a poor job as manager for most of the last 4 seasons. From player development, to talent evaluation, to his low-obp offense, to team defense......poor.

GoSox2K3
04-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Yep, that pretty much summarizes the excuses for this team over the last 4 years.

We're working on 3 terrible seasons-worth of game out of 4 since mid 2006.

Dibbs
04-29-2010, 12:49 PM

According to your logic, the Cubbies have the best fans.

FielderJones
04-29-2010, 01:35 PM

That is the only team in baseball history that has ever turned it around.

soltrain21
04-29-2010, 01:38 PM

No, but bringing up something that happened in 2005 means absolutely nothing. Yes, plenty of teams have turned it around. Plenty of teams haven't. What's your point?

The Astros did it. Good for them. That has absolutely nothing to do with the 2010 White Sox.

TommyJohn
04-29-2010, 03:55 PM

PLENTY of teams in history have "turned it around" not just the 2005 Astros. The Yankees in the past few years have started out like crap, only to catch fire later in the season. I am not saying that the 2010 White Sox will, but please DO NOT act like the 2005 Astros are the only team to ever "turn it around."

PennStater98r
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
PLENTY of teams in history have "turned it around" not just the 2005 Astros. The Yankees in the past few years have started out like crap, only to catch fire later in the season. I am not saying that the 2010 White Sox will, but please DO NOT act like the 2005 Astros are the only team to ever "turn it around."

Don't forget our very own 1983 White Sox - didn't they start out like 14-29 or something horrid like that?

asindc
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Don't forget our very own 1983 White Sox - didn't they start out like 14-29 or something horrid like that?

Fellas, don't pile on soltrain. After all, having a rant refuted by easily-available facts can't be all that pleasant.

SI1020
04-29-2010, 04:34 PM
The 1983 White Sox started out 16-24. On July 26 they were only 49-47. Then they went as hot as any White Sox team ever and finished 99-63. In 2001 the Sox were 14-29 and finished at 83-79.

TDog
04-29-2010, 05:30 PM

If they continue to get poor starting pitching they won't.

TDog
04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I haven't spent a dime directly on the White Sox since Ozzie dropped a homophobic slur a few years back. Shouldn't be too hard to steer clear if I'm that fed up with his managing this season.

That'll learn 'em!

soltrain21
04-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Fellas, don't pile on soltrain. After all, having a rant refuted by easily-available facts can't be all that pleasant.

No, I'm just saying it's stupid to say, "Well the Astros turned it around!" No **** the Astros turned it around. Lots of teams have turned it around. That doesn't mean this team will. Do I hope they do? Of course.

EdHerman12
04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Now I don't know exactly what goes on in his mind, but whatever it is, it's not getting Ozzie fired, so stop wasting your breath, everyone.

Then expect a lot more losses...than wins...

It's Dankerific
05-01-2010, 11:11 AM
If they continue to get poor starting pitching they won't.

I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the starters knowing they have to be perfect to win a ****ing game.

TDog
05-02-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the starters knowing they have to be perfect to win a ****ing game.

You are absolutely right, unless you take into account your sarcasm, which is misplaced. The starters don't have to be perfect. That is the point. The White Sox have only been shut out once this season. The White Sox are averaging four runs in Peavy's games, and he has only one quality start. In his first start of the season, he blew a three-run lead. In his most recent, he gave up five in the first. He has only one start where he has gone at least six innings.

The White Sox are averaging 4.6 runs when Gavin Floyd pitches, and he has only two quality starts. Buehrle started the only time the team was shut out, but he was rocked early in that game. Fortunately, Danks is pitching almost as well as people expected Peavy to, and Garcia has more quality starts than Peavy.

You might as well say the offense is suffering from the pressure of knowing their pitching is bad.

This White Sox team was built on the promise of having great starting pitching and a pretty good bullpen that would stop the opposition. They are giving up more than a run a game more than the Twins, who came into the season with questionable pitching and a disabled star closer.

If there is any cause for optimism this season, it comes from the fact that everyone knows the starting pitchers can do a lot better.

Konerko05
05-02-2010, 04:09 AM
If Ozzie is never getting fired, this team should just contract.

He's not the answer to everything. I'm still trying to figure out what he's actually the answer to in the present/future.