PDA

View Full Version : Alright Kenny...

russ99
04-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Today's the last straw. Peavy gives up 5 in the first after shooting off his mouth, nobody can score except for a homer, everyone's useless with men on base... It's getting to the point where I can't bear to watch these guys half-heartedly scuffle their way through another game.

I tried to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, but it's becoming more obvious every day that this roster as constituted is not good enough to compete in this division.

It's already May this weekend, we can't waste another month waiting on these guys to wake up. It's time to make a move to shake things up.

thomas35forever
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
We've talked about this already, but what do you propose doing? Trading guys? Firing coaches?

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't think we can do much of anything at this point, or even later in the season. Really, I think we can just write this one off as a wash and wait for 2011. I know that I won't be paying for a single damned ticket this year...yuck. With how high the ticket prices are, you would think that they could put a better product on the field.

russ99
04-28-2010, 08:12 PM
We've talked about this already, but what do you propose doing? Trading guys? Firing coaches?

A rookie or two wouldn't hurt. Swapping Flowers for Lucy is a lateral move and it may wake A.J. from his funk.

Jordan Danks may be a good idea (despite his many Ks) but who do you send down?

Realistically, we're at least a month away from any impact trades happening throughout MLB.

Oh, and Fire Walker.

shingo10
04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Well.

It can only go up from here right?

thomas35forever
04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
A rookie or two wouldn't hurt. Swapping Flowers for Lucy is a lateral move and it may wake A.J. from his funk.

Jordan Danks may be a good idea (despite his many Ks) but who do you send down?

Realistically, we're at least a month away from any impact trades happening throughout MLB.

Oh, and Fire Walker.
Castro is rehabbing at AAA right now. Don't expect Flowers up here anytime soon.

As for Danks, you have to play him everyday and I don't see that happening either.

NardiWasHere
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
It's time to make a move to shake things up.

Most likely a free agent acquisition wont do anything.

No other team is going to trade anything in April.

No one in the minor leagues will bring any significant help.

What move is available to shake things up?

Other than that, I agree. This roster is not very good, but it doesn't come as a surprise to me (Except Peavy).

Rohan
04-28-2010, 09:26 PM
:waiting::waiting::waiting:

JB98
04-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Remember during the offseason when some of us were screaming for a middle-of-the-order hitter?

Well, that ship has sailed now. Good luck making an impact move at this point in the season.

At the very least, Ozzie could start by playing Jones, who has been a huge surprise with the bat thus far. Too bad he's on the bench every third game during a period where off-days are built into the schedule.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
If we go 0 for this road trip (which is very much a possibility if we don't win one in Texas), someone has got to go and it starts with Walker.

Rikirk
04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
can we see if the league will let us play with fungo bats?

tacosalbarojas
04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Although it's early for calls for Danks, Flowers and maybe even Viciedo, I think at least two of the three will be here in July if we continue running 4th or 5th in the Central.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
This team looked like a 85-95 win team on paper. There is no denying it. The only people who thought we would suck, expected career lows out of Juan, Teahen, Rios, Jones, and Kotsay.

The part that sucks is they were only right about Juan and Kotsay... it's Quentin, Beckham, Peavy, and Pierzynski doing us in.

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2010, 10:06 PM
First, it's time to fire Walker.

Second, try to win with defense. AJ and Pierre are both sucking.

Bench AJ and let Lucy start the next few games. Bring up Jordan Danks and bench Pierre. Put Danks in RF and Jones in LF. With Rios, that may be the best defensive OF in the game. Have Quentin DH.

Tragg
04-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Not much Kenny can do to get young talent in here. Not much on the farm and the non-producing veterans won't bring much in trade. He might get something for Jones at mid season, and maybe for a couple of relief pitchers, but that's about it.

and then he's got the exact wrong field manager to train and develop the young talent. Guillen came out of the entire 2007 experience, when the Sox should have played young players for 3.5 months, with Jerry Owens and not much else. It was a joke.

Not good.

veeter
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Replacing Pierre with Jared Mitchell would have been nice. Hopefully next year.

Tragg
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
If we go 0 for this road trip (which is very much a possibility if we don't win one in Texas), someone has got to go and it starts with Walker.
If you're looking for a scapegoat.
Guillen or Williams if you want the cause.

Rikirk
Man I hope Beckham isnt turning into the next Brian Anderson.
I like both players, but on this team they seemed to have been snakebit.

WhiteSox5187
Replacing Pierre with Jared Mitchell would have been nice. Hopefully next year.

Mitchell's injury is pretty bad and he might never have the same wheels again. He might not see anytime in the bigs. I hope I'm wrong.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
You won't be able to do much, if anything, right now in the season. Sox are between a rock and a hard place.

Lip

veeter
I like both players, but on this team they seemed to have been snakebit.Please don't compare those two. Gordon will be fine.

slavko
Pierre's killing the team. It all emanates from him. He should be setting the tone, and he is, in a negative way. No one, especially him, should take this personally. I like the guy.

veeter
04-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Mitchell's injury is pretty bad and he might never have the same wheels again. He might not see anytime in the bigs. I hope I'm wrong.With today's medicine and a sliver of optimism, I'm sure he'll be 100%.

HangWiffum
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Pierre's killing the team. It all emanates from him. He should be setting the tone, and he is, in a negative way. No one, especially him, should take this personally. I like the guy.

and the sox are not an organization like the Dodgers who will just sit his ass on the bench. it's frustrating and we're gonna have to eat this ****burger and like it.

singapore_sling
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
SIGN JERMAINE DYE as DH then play Rios,Jones, and Quentin in OF. Get pierre limited at bats...I don't even care who else leads off(beckham maybe?)

DirtySox
04-28-2010, 10:32 PM
None of our prospects are likely to make a significant impact at this point. The talent level simply isn't there. Flowers and Hudson are solid prospects, but nowhere near upper echelon. Danks and his 31% K-rate in AAA thus far doesn't bode well for big league pitching. It's hard to find precedent for a player with his number of strikeouts and with his skill set that was successful in the majors. Viciedo has been abysmal and isn't anywhere close to ready.

While I think watching Flowers and Hudson would be entertaining if called up, they aren't likely to improve the team much, if at all. They would simply be getting their feet wet and gaining some valuable experience.

DumpJerry
04-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Once the Adrian Gonzalez trade and signing are completed, we'll all be happy again.

KMcMahon817
04-28-2010, 11:03 PM
First, it's time to fire Walker.

Second, try to win with defense. AJ and Pierre are both sucking.

Bench AJ and let Lucy start the next few games. Bring up Jordan Danks and bench Pierre. Put Danks in RF and Jones in LF. With Rios, that may be the best defensive OF in the game. Have Quentin DH.

AJ had two hits tonight, and looked better at the plate.

Coops4Aces
04-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm cool with benching Pierre, but I'm curious then who do you lead off?

DSpivack
04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Once the Adrian Gonzalez trade and signing are completed, we'll all be happy again.

:rolling:

happydude
04-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I like both players, but on this team they seemed to have been snakebit.

Snakebit? Was Anderson also "snakebit" in Boston and KC? If Beckham doesn't pan out its on him; not the White Sox. In my view way too many guys are clearing out space in Cooperstown for this guy's bust when he's yet, even counting the games this season, to have played one full year of major league ball. Let's just see what he can do; he has a ways to go before he's a proven player.

JB98
04-29-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm cool with benching Pierre, but I'm curious then who do you lead off?

Rios.

kittle42
04-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Rios.

A cardboard cutout might take a walk.

Slappy
04-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Mitchell's injury is pretty bad and he might never have the same wheels again. He might not see anytime in the bigs. I hope I'm wrong.

Man, that is a sad thought. I was so pumped to watch that kid play. I really think he could be a stud if healthy. Like McCutchen stud-like. Maybe with a little less power with the bat.

Lillian
04-29-2010, 06:39 AM
SIGN JERMAINE DYE as DH then play Rios,Jones, and Quentin in OF. Get pierre limited at bats...I don't even care who else leads off(beckham maybe?)

Good idea, if Dye were a left handed hitter.

masloan
04-29-2010, 07:00 AM

The whole we need a left handed hitter thing is completely absurd. Would it be nice to have a great left handed bat? Sure. But I'd take a good right handed bat over a sub par lefty any day. Enough with the we need a left handed bat garbage.

jabrch
04-29-2010, 07:22 AM
AJ had two hits tonight, and looked better at the plate.

He's hot - move him up in the order.

mcfish
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Is it finally no longer "too early" to admit the truth about this subpar baseball team?

WhiteSoxFTW
04-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Yeah.....that'll happen. JR wants to add more money to this payroll? :scratch:

jabrch
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah.....that'll happen. JR wants to add more money to this payroll? :scratch:

He has proven that he is more than willing to expand payroll for the right players. Everytime someon says that ownership is cheap, they prove otherwise. This franchise added Rios and Peavy's big contracts late last year. They weren't FA, but the were still big $ acquisitions.

Despite the vocal minority, management is neither cheap, nor stupid.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Was this sarcastic? Cause the whole "we need a left-handed power hitter" idea is garbage.

Lefties in 2005-Pods, AJ and sometimes Everett.

mcfish
04-29-2010, 10:51 AM
he has proven that he is more than willing to expand payroll for the right players. Everytime someon says that ownership is cheap, they prove otherwise. This franchise added rios and peavy's big contracts late last year. They weren't fa, but the were still big $ acquisitions.

Despite the vocal minority, management is neither cheap, nor stupid.
+1

khan
04-29-2010, 11:27 AM

If KW is not giving up on this season, signing a proper DH, and benching Pierre is pretty much the only thing he CAN do at this point. I don't believe that there are enough pieces to trade away to get a difference-maker. [Which is why I and many others here favored signing a FA bat, be it Matsui, Damon, or Thome.]

Funny that [once again] KW assembles an incomplete team, and [once again] it looks like KW will have to sign someone that's out of baseball to save the incomplete team. Here's hoping that KW signs someone that can salvage the hopes for this season inasmuch as Pods did a year ago.

If KW has given up on this year, [which I doubt, BTW] then Jenks, Konerko and others will have to go for prospects. Of course, it may take half a decade for attendance to recover from a fire sale. But that's what happens when an incomplete team is assembled.

doublem23
04-29-2010, 11:29 AM
This team looked like a 85-95 win team on paper. There is no denying it.

... in the International League.

fcl
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
A lot of teams need bullpen help. We absolutely have some chips in the bullpen to deal.

We all saw how much better a team is with a good leadoff hitter. Why Ozzie thinks Pierre is getting it done is a mystery.

I still think Peavy will be OK, but he isn't a Cy Young contender in the Big-Boy League. Long term he'll slot after John Danks and be a solid #2-#3 rotation guy.

KMcMahon817
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
He's hot - move him up in the order.

That wasn't at all my point.

Frater said bench him for Lucy, and I was pointing out that he looked better at the plate yesterday, guy.

jabrch
04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
That wasn't at all my point.

Frater said bench him for Lucy, and I was pointing out that he looked better at the plate yesterday, guy.

I know - wasn't being snotty at you...just the general tendency these days to react to a very small snippet in time.

Lucy is a good defensive catcher who can't hit well. He had a nice day at the dish, but he's still not a good hitter. We have a good sample size from our vets to know who can hit and who can't over 600 PA.