PDA

View Full Version : All-Star roster expanded, DH to be used every year

Sockinchisox
04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/04/28/all.star.game.changes.ap/index.html?xid=si_mlb

mzh
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
ASG is in the AL this year, why announce this now?

soltrain21
04-28-2010, 07:20 PM
ASG is in the AL this year, why announce this now?

Why not announce it now?

mzh
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Why not announce it now?
IDK, just seems sort of irrelevant for the time being :shrug:

Lip Man 1
04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Mark Kotsay now has a chance for the game!

Lip

TommyJohn
04-28-2010, 08:54 PM
*Bob Costas mode* I protest this foul desecration of our holy game.

RKMeibalane
04-28-2010, 10:38 PM
I've been hoping for this move for some time. It's irritating to watch pitchers struggle to lay down a bunt or advance runners. I would much rather watch an actual hitter do his thing.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Next step... entire NL.

Twins_Morneau
04-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Next step... entire NL.

Indeed.

Hitmen77
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
This is a great move. One of the main points of the All-Star Game (besides deciding WS home field, that is.:rolleyes:) is a chance for good players from around the league to exhibit their talent. For some players, playing in the ASG is a once-in-a-lifetime thrill.

Why waste an all-star game at bat on a pitcher? That just takes an at bat away from getting another all-star into the game. There are plenty of talented hitters in either league that could otherwise get in the game as a DH instead of letting the pitcher hit.

SOXSINCE'70
04-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey Mark Kotsay now has a chance for the game!

Lip

My vote goes to Juan Pierre.:D:

akingamongstmen
04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I am a fan of all of these changes. Good job, MLB!

ewokpelts
04-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Good Move

g0g0
04-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Next step... entire NL.

I seriously hope not. It's been one of those great historical divisions that I think makes MLB special. When you assimilate too much you become bland like the NBA.

SI1020
04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I seriously hope not. It's been one of those great historical divisions that I think makes MLB special. When you assimilate too much you become bland like the NBA. It's already been started with interleague play and the merging of the umpires. I look for a universal DH, a major revamping of the leagues and divisions, and expansion of the playoffs in the reasonably near future. Things change, sometimes for the better and often times not. It's the nature of life.

Railsplitter
04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Everbody should pick up a bat and everybody should put on a glove.

Actually, this is being overstated. The starting pitchers go two innings anyway, even in AL and with the "everybody plays" obsession with the ASG these days, the pitchers are lifted for pinch hitters in NL parks.

g0g0
04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
It's already been started with interleague play and the merging of the umpires. I look for a universal DH, a major revamping of the leagues and divisions, and expansion of the playoffs in the reasonably near future. Things change, sometimes for the better and often times not. It's the nature of life.

If I had to pick, I would rather they went with no DH league-wide (as opposed to having DH league-wide), a revamping of leagues/divisions (especially AL East), and no expansion of the playoffs (season too long as it is). I don't mind change, but the DH is just one of those cool differences in the sport.

SI1020
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
If I had to pick, I would rather they went with no DH league-wide (as opposed to having DH league-wide), a revamping of leagues/divisions (especially AL East), and no expansion of the playoffs (season too long as it is). I don't mind change, but the DH is just one of those cool differences in the sport. I pretty much agree with you but I don't think things are going to go our way.

Sox
04-29-2010, 12:39 PM
If I had to pick, I would rather they went with no DH league-wide (as opposed to having DH league-wide), a revamping of leagues/divisions (especially AL East), and no expansion of the playoffs (season too long as it is). I don't mind change, but the DH is just one of those cool differences in the sport.

I have never been a big fan of the DH rule in baseball FWIW! I would rather see a pitcher hit. Maybe it's just because I'm old school I don't know. Baseball has had the DH rule long enough.