PDA

View Full Version : The Peavy Thread

Corlose 15
04-28-2010, 01:34 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0428-brite-white-sox-rangers-chica20100427,0,2395630.story

Apparently they found on tape that he's been guarding his ankle and isn't getting enough drive, which explains his dip in velocity.

Edit: I fixed the link.

BadBobbyJenks
04-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I hope so, but is a dip in velocity responsible for walking 7.

soltrain21
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I hope so, but is a dip in velocity responsible for walking 7.

Well, guarding is ankle could also greatly change his precision, I'm guessing. Guess we will find out tonight.

ilsox7
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Wonderful. Now let's see good results. Not the bull**** of the last few weeks.

Rohan
04-28-2010, 02:14 PM
The link doesn't work and I'm not familiar with the phrase "Guarding an ankle". What exactly does that mean?

Is he wearing one of these?
http://images.soccerscene.co.uk/images/Nike-Ankle-Shield.jpg

Jim Shorts
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm sorry to pose such an ignorant question, but I gotta ask....

Isn't this why they have spring training?

JermaineDye05
04-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I like to hear that, but looking at it logically, I have to say, what else is Jake going to respond to a question posed by the media that sates:

"How are you feeling?/Why is your ERA so high?/Why are you throwing so many pitches?"

He's not gonna say, "my elbow hurts and I've lost some velocity or I don't know what's wrong."

it's nice to hear him say that he thinks he's figured it out, but I don't pay too much attention to what reporters write especially when they're basing it on what a player said.

KMcMahon817
04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry to pose such an ignorant question, but I gotta ask....

Isn't this why they have spring training?

I read the article last night, or at least one similar in nature, and it basically said that he had been favoring his ankle so his delivery had changed a little bit. He hadn't noticed the change, and had been throwing this way for almost 6 months. The way he was favoring his ankle was causing him to have a dip in velocity and also control problems. They found the issue after watching video of some of his starts with SD and they think they have the problem figured out. Peavy stated that this all occurred right before his last start, and he felt "awkward" on the mound.

However, he vowed to get back to his normal self, and be the ace everyone remembered with Pads.

spawn
04-28-2010, 02:40 PM
The link doesn't work and I'm not familiar with the phrase "Guarding an ankle". What exactly does that mean?

It means he's favoring his ankle so as not to injure it again. He's probably not putting as much pressure on it, so he's not pushing off, causing the loss in velocity and possibly control. I guess we'll find out tonight.

Corlose 15
04-28-2010, 02:40 PM

Is he wearing one of these?

No, what I meant by guarding is that he's altering his motion in order to protect his ankle. It mentions in the article that he's doing it subconsciously.

I like to hear that, but looking at it logically, I have to say, what else is Jake going to respond to a question posed by the media that sates:

"How are you feeling?/Why is your ERA so high?/Why are you throwing so many pitches?"

He's not gonna say, "my elbow hurts and I've lost some velocity or I don't know what's wrong."

it's nice to hear him say that he thinks he's figured it out, but I don't pay too much attention to what reporters write especially when they're basing it on what a player said.

It mentions in the article that in a bullpen session his velocty was back up to 94mph even without him going all out.

JermaineDye05
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
No, what I meant by guarding is that he's altering his motion in order to protect his ankle. It mentions in the article that he's doing it subconsciously.

It mentions in the article that in a bullpen session his velocty was back up to 94mph even without him going all out.

Yeah, his velocity was up against TB.

My argument is just that Jake's not gonna tell the reporter if he's having trouble which is why I don't pay too much attention to what is written.

Jim Shorts
04-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I read the article last night, or at least one similar in nature, and it basically said that he had been favoring his ankle so his delivery had changed a little bit. He hadn't noticed the change, and had been throwing this way for almost 6 months. The way he was favoring his ankle was causing him to have a dip in velocity and also control problems. They found the issue after watching video of some of his starts with SD and they think they have the problem figured out. Peavy stated that this all occurred right before his last start, and he felt "awkward" on the mound.

However, he vowed to get back to his normal self, and be the ace everyone remembered with Pads.

Then what the hell was Coop doing all ST? My point still stands, this should have been addressed/corrected in spring friggin training.

cws05champ
04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Was he intense when he said he's figured it out?

WhiteSoxFTW
04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
It's about ****ing time. We can't take any more ****ty starts from our multi-million dollar "ace".

thomas35forever
04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Let's hope he can back this up with quality performances the rest of the season.

slavko
04-28-2010, 05:28 PM
When one of your golf foursome says "I got my swing figured out," it's usually the kiss of death. I hope this isn't the same thing.

johnny bench
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
peavy's response leads no where that cooper wants this conversation to go. If peavy starts doing well now, then coop wasn't doing his job. If he still sucks, then something else is wrong and coop needs to rub magic ointment on that ankle.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that if Coop was with the team, Coop would have prepped peavy with a non-controversial non-answer for the inevitable "what's wrong" question.

Coop: please come back and help mr. peavy to not **** up his interviews.

grenda12
04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Really, not looking like it tonight.

Crede24Thome25
04-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I am speechless, he is ****ing horrible. What I don't understand is, he's saying that hes working on a few thing with his mechanics. There was nothing wrong with his mechanics in the first place, he's not a ****ing rookie what the hell is he talking about. We didn't trade for him so he could change his ****ing mechanics. We brought him here because he was already an established pitcher, he needs to get this through his ****ing head.:angry:

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Peavy is starting to piss me off, too. I do not understand why he hasn't been moved to the bullpen or something. It's only for the good of the team that he does not start until he gets his velocity back up and figures his **** out.

Thome25
04-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow just wow.......I understand the frustration I do. But, starting a thread about the current game while it's still in progress is a good way to get banned around here.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Really, not looking like it tonight.

That's putting it mildly.

Crede24Thome25
04-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow just wow.......I understand the frustration I do. But, starting a thread about the current game while it's still in progress is a good way to get banned around here.
The score isn't gonna change it can only get worse, so yes I started a thread. If the admins want to delete the thread so be it, if they want to ban me I'll live(no offense admins)

Boondock Saint

How is it just about this game? His ERA is a healthy 7.66 coming into today's game.

Rikirk
Yeah...
5-0 already....what is going on already.
And again they end the inning with 3 men left on....
What god did we anger already?

Tragg
04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
This is on Williams. He's zero for three in his never ending sojourn for that "number 1 starter" where he piles on the talent to get the elite pitcher...and 2 of those "elite" pitchers have been stiffs (Peavy and Ritchie).

What is with the love of national league pitching?
One thing I would suggest is to let Lucy catch Peavy.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
If he doesn't figure it out soon, he's going to be the next guy to get Barry Zito-ed to the DL for an inflamed ERA.

thomas35forever
04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
This is on Williams. He's zero for three in his never ending sojourn for that "number 1 starter" where he piles on the talent to get the elite pitcher...and 2 of those "elite" pitchers have been stiffs (Peavy and Ritchie).

Is it his fault they didn't perform up to expectations after excelling elsewhere?

GoGoCrede
04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Peavy is starting to piss me off, too. I do not understand why he hasn't been moved to the bullpen or something. It's only for the good of the team that he does not start until he gets his velocity back up and figures his **** out.

Wow, really? I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I think this is a knee jerk reaction. Who would take his place?

mzh
04-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Are you perhaps thinking of David Wells? Can't decide which one blew more...

Crede24Thome25
How is it just about this game? His ERA is a healthy 7.66 coming into today's game.
Thank you, it's not like my thread title was Sox Lose Big After First Inning. I'm just stating the obvious.

soltrain21
Well, guarding is ankle could also greatly change his precision, I'm guessing. Guess we will find out tonight.

And sadly, we did.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Wow, really? I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I think this is a knee jerk reaction. Who would take his place?

No ****ing idea. Hudson, maybe? I dunno who else really could.

cws05champ
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
He's got to be hurt...I refuse to believe that he would be hurt this much by coming to the AL.

chisox616
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
And here I was, afraid that the Sox would go on Peavy like the Mets do on Johan Santana--countless 1-0, 2-1 losses that drive a pitcher mad.

But nope, this is all on Peavy. Here's hoping he gets his September self back soon :\

Crede24Thome25
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
No ****ing idea. Hudson, maybe? I dunno who else really could.
Hudson has been getting knocked around in the minors too. What free agent pitchers are left:whiner:

BadBobbyJenks
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM

Hahahahaha, do you miss anyone we gave up for Peavy?

sox1970
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Hudson has been getting knocked around in the minors too. What free agent pitchers are left:whiner:

Washburn, but that would be dumb with this team. Basically, they just need to ride this out, and dump any salary they can in June and July.

Crede24Thome25
04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a Cy Young winning pitcher changing their mechanics in their prime years?

Crede24Thome25
04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Right about now yeah Richards

BadBobbyJenks
04-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Right about now yeah Richards

I am glad he is performing well in Petco park in the national league, but I seriously doubt he is anything more than a long reliever on a good team.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I am glad he is performing well in Petco park in the national league, but I seriously doubt he is anything more than a long reliever on a good team.

This. Crede24Thome25, are you really saying you wish we hadn't given up Richard for Peavy? :?:

Crede24Thome25
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
A long reliever is something we need whenever peavys pitching

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
A long reliever is something we need whenever peavys pitching

I was about to say...

And yeah, right now, AT THIS POINT, I would rather have had Richard rather than Peavy. I seriously hope that by the end of the season I can eat crow on those words. However, Peavy hasn't given me much confidence in my being able to say that at this point.

spawn
04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
After that disasterous first, he's looked good.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Now that all the pressure is off, right?

I don't care how well he's done since that disastrous 1st inning. The fact is that our prospects for winning this game are very, very slim right now, and it's mostly his fault for it.

BadBobbyJenks
04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I just can't jump off the bandwagon just yet and he hasn't been touched since the first anyway.

spawn
04-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Now that all the pressure is off, right?

How exactly is the pressure off? An offense just doesn't stop trying to score runs...well, outside of ours.
I don't care how well he's done since that disastrous 1st inning. The fact is that our prospects for winning this game are very, very slim right now, and it's mostly his fault for it.
It's partly his fault. The offense isn't doing ****, which is also a problem. Since the first, he's kept the team in the game. The offense has done nothing to help.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
How exactly is the pressure off? An offense just doesn't stop trying to score runs...well, outside of ours.

It's partly his fault. The offense isn't doing ****, which is also a problem. Since the first, he's kept the team in the game. The offense has done nothing to help.

1) The pressure is off because the prospects for winning the game at this point are slim to nil. Knowing that the offense can't do **** at this point, the mindset changes to, "Oh, to hell with it" and the pressure is gone.

That's how I'm looking at it, anyway.

2) "Mostly" =/= "all" his fault. Yes, the offense is at fault here for not scoring. But it's his fault for digging a five-run hole for that offense to try and dig out of in the first place.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2010, 08:20 PM
1) The pressure is off because the prospects for winning the game at this point are slim to nil. Knowing that the offense can't do **** at this point, the mindset changes to, "Oh, to hell with it" and the pressure is gone.

That's how I'm looking at it, anyway.

2) "Mostly" =/= "all" his fault. Yes, the offense is at fault here for not scoring. But it's his fault for digging a five-run hole for that offense to try and dig out of in the first place.

Come on. The offense needs to grow a pair and chip away at that lead. It's absolutely ridiculous that five runs is insurmountable, especially that early in the game.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Come on. The offense needs to grow a pair and chip away at that lead. It's absolutely ridiculous that five runs is insurmountable, especially that early in the game.

...please re-read what I put in the second point. That's partly what I'm saying. Again, the offense is at fault here, I understand. But for the love of God, an offense shouldn't have to bail a pitcher out of a five-run deficit in the first place, especially that early.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
...please re-read what I put in the second point. That's partly what I'm saying. Again, the offense is at fault here, I understand. But for the love of God, an offense shouldn't have to bail a pitcher out of a five-run deficit in the first place, especially that early.

Sorry, I misread. I still think they could have chipped away, though. I just think the offense is more of a concern right now than Peavy. IMO.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Sorry, I misread. I still think they could have chipped away, though. I just think the offense is more of a concern right now than Peavy. IMO.

That I can agree on.

Crede24Thome25
04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
This. Crede24Thome25, are you really saying you wish we hadn't given up Richard for Peavy? :?:
Right about now yes. In the future maybe not

Rdy2PlayBall
04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Come on guys.... Many have said it before, "if he's not our ace, we don't have one." So as far as I'm concerned, he's still pitching the best on this ballclub.

Tragg
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
I miss the effective player that we could have gotten in other trades using the talent we gave up for Peavy.

Speaking of Petco Park, there's a certain other pitcher who enjoyed what were apparently woefully over-inflated stats there.

stevemcstud
04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
He just went the next 5 innings without a hit. Chill out he's in a slump. Two starts ago he went 7 with 2ER. He will come around.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Come on guys.... Many have said it before, "if he's not our ace, we don't have one." So as far as I'm concerned, he's still pitching the best on this ballclub.

:Danks:

"I'd ask for some of what you're smoking, but I'm too busy pitching my ass off to bother with any of that nonsense."

spawn
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
:Danks:

"I'd ask for some of what you're smoking, but I'm too busy pitching my ass off to bother with any of that nonsense."
:rolling:

Hitmen77
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Even though it won't help the outcome of this game, his good outing after the 1st is good to see for two reasons:

1) It saves our bullpen. After that lousy first, we went into the 7th before giving up another hit. I'd rather have that than have him yanked in the 2nd and see the Sox burn through their bullpen tonight.

2) Maybe (deep pink?) that's a sign of him slowly getting back on track. I'd rather see that than have a pitcher totally fall apart after one disastrous inning.

october23sp
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't understand why I get flamed for hating on Peavy.

Rikirk
04-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow...
arguably the easiest ballpark to score in and we come away with jack squat.

Tragg
04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
After pitching the Sox out of the game in inning number 1, Peavy settled down over the next few innings to get his ERA down to 7.85.

This guy's supposed to be a stud.
Pitch like it.

slavko
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
When one of your golf foursome says "I got my swing figured out," it's usually the kiss of death. I hope this isn't the same thing.

To which I reply: Move your hands over a little. Keep your head down. Flatten out your backswing. And put more weight on your left ankle.

Seriously (yes I can be serious even after quoting myself) Jake's in deep ****. I'm having a Broglio flashback.