PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Konerko?

JermaineDye05
04-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Lock him up?
Ride him will he's hot and then let him walk?
Trade him while his value is up?

This poll assumes that Konerko doesn't drop off significantly by the ASB.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
It all depends on the price tag. I am certainly not trading him this year though.

It's Dankerific
04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Its unpopular, but I'd trade him.

Simply because I think we have a pretty large hole to climb out of. Perhaps I wait till memorial day and take stock then, but if I had a blow my socks off offer, I'd take it in a second.

DumpJerry
04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
It all depends on the price tag. I am certainly not trading him this year though.
Well, what year would you trade him? His contract is over this year.

Trading him, generally speaking, is a bit of a challenge since he is a 5/10 player. I know, I know, he has said he would consent to a trade if it "helps the team." Yeah.

TDog
04-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Its unpopular, but I'd trade him.

Simply because I think we have a pretty large hole to climb out of. Perhaps I wait till memorial day and take stock then, but if I had a blow my socks off offer, I'd take it in a second.

Trade Konerko and you have a bigger hole to dig out of.

It's Dankerific
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Trade Konerko and you have a bigger hole to dig out of.

Theres no difference between 2 and 5th place. wild card probably not coming from the central.

Plus whatever we get back. I wouldnt trade him in a salary dump, but for actual value.

kevingrt
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
We have no one in the minors capable of overtaking him in the foreseeable future so I think you have to lock him up. Getting a comparable 1B on the open market will be much more expensive and PK still has an above-average glove at 1B.

TDog
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Theres no difference between 2 and 5th place. wild card probably not coming from the central.

Plus whatever we get back. I wouldnt trade him in a salary dump, but for actual value.

There is a difference between second and fifth, and with unbalanced schedules, and there is no reason the wild card can't come out of the central. And I still think the White Sox have a good chance to win the division if the pitching comes around.

The sort of value you're talking about isn't there.

It's Dankerific
04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
There is a difference between second and fifth, and with unbalanced schedules, and there is no reason the wild card can't come out of the central. And I still think the White Sox have a good chance to win the division if the pitching comes around.

The sort of value you're talking about isn't there.

What is the possible difference between 2nd and 5th if not the wildcard?

Whether someone would give something of value for Konerko is the one legitimate point. If not, no need to trade him.

I dont think you ruin the future for a 1-5% chance at the present.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, what year would you trade him? His contract is over this year.

I said I wanted to know what his price tag was after this year you know when his contract is up and that I wouldn't trade him this year.

veeter
04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Trade Konerko and you have a bigger hole to dig out of.Exactly. The 'Who do you replace him with' question, is then presented. I think the Sox are going to make a run this year. Let him finish out the year and see what happens. Paulie's not going to get you a lot in a trade anyway.

TDog
04-26-2010, 08:46 PM
What is the possible difference between 2nd and 5th if not the wildcard?

Whether someone would give something of value for Konerko is the one legitimate point. If not, no need to trade him.

I dont think you ruin the future for a 1-5% chance at the present.

Only four teams in the American League go to the postseason. I have followed the White Sox for more than 40 years and they have made it to the postseason five times. I don't regret being a White Sox fan.

But if you believe following a baseball team and going to see your team play is a waste of time and holds no pleasure if you don't go to the postseason, then you must be an extremely miserable White Sox fan.

And I really don't want Konerko to go anywhere.

A. Cavatica
04-26-2010, 08:48 PM
No way do you lock up an aging 1B/DH type who is (charitably) an average hitter. I think he's almost immovable in a trade, but if you can get someone to trade you real prospects for him, you jump at the chance.

UChicagoHP
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
If the team is 10 games back at the break, I'll be surprised if Kenny Williams doesn't move Konerko, or at least try very hard to move him. If a highly regarded prospect can be had for Paulie, or a player who hasn't quite reached his potential but is still relatively young, I think it's in the White Sox's best interests to move Konerko.

I feel weird calling him old, as he isn't compared to the general population, but a 34 year old first baseman is well past his prime, and while he may post decent numbers for another year or two, he could very easily hit .200 after the ASB, and be done for all intents and purposes by next spring. That happens to 35 year olds, the ones that can play past that age, let alone play well, are the exceptions to the rule.

Paulie will always have a place in White Sox lore, but emotional attatchement has no place in this game when it comes to building a winner, and if the Sox can improve themselves by trading away a fading star before he fades away completely, I'm all for it, as should the rest of White Sox nation, imo...:gulp:

The question is, though...will any GM give Williams a player with potential for a half-season of Konerko? If Konerko is hitting .265 with 15-20HR's at the break? Yeah, I think Williams can get a young player that can help the White Sox down the road. If Konerko is hitting .230 with 10-15 HR's? Williams probably missed the boat...not a terrible thing, as Konerko was never going to pull a Pedro Alvarez type in a trade, but a contending team lacking power at 1B would/will certainly give a decent prospect if Paulie is showing that he can still contribute at his relatively old age. Time will tell!

Ideally, Konerko is mashing AND the Sox are well over .500. In that case, unless Adrian Gonzales is a real possibility, the team may as well let Konerko play out his contract in a final run to the World Series with the Sox. I don't think he is in the team's long term plans, nor should he be, maybe as a DH...but banking on a 35 year old 1B isn't a smart move, again, imo...

veeter
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Only four teams in the American League go to the postseason. I have followed the White Sox for more than 40 years and they have made it to the postseason five times. I don't regret being a White Sox fan.

But if you believe following a baseball team and going to see your team play is a waste of time and holds no pleasure if you don't go to the postseason, then you must be an extremely miserable White Sox fan.

And I really don't want Konerko to go anywhere.Three of those post-season trips have been in the last ten years. With a World Championship included. People are giving up on this season way too soon.

bigdommer
04-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Paulie won't bring enough back in a trade. The Nationals got Aaron Thompson, a former 1st rounder who couldn't cut it and would have been a rule V, for Nick Johnson. The Orioles got Brett Jacobson, a C-level pitching prospect who hasn't pitched past A ball, for Aubrey Huff.

If anyone was going to take $6MM of payroll off of KW's hands, they are at best going to offer a raw low level prospect.

veeter
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
The timing of this thread cracks me up. The Sox finally win a series, a three game sweep no less, and now we want to dump Konerko? The Twins have played exactly nobody, and that includes the Sox who were beyond horrible at the time. Can we wait until June 1st to even consider the season over?

Danryan
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
What's wrong with Konerko?

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2010, 11:12 PM
For those who want to keep Paulie long-term, it might be more advantageous to trade him and then re-sign him as a free agent.

If he stays with the Sox through this season, the Sox would have to offer him arbitration in order to re-sign him. If he continues having a good season, he would be likely to accept arbitration, and thus the one-year contract would be equal to, or higher than, his current salary. Such a salary might dissuade the Sox from offering arbitration, which would mean that he'd go elsewhere.

To sign him to an extension during the season likely would mean a cost of $10/million+ per season, since the players' union would not look kindly upon him taking more than a 20% pay cut.

However, if he hits free agency as a member of another team, the Sox might be able to sign him as a free agent for a lower cost. Another team likely would not offer him arbitration, meaning that the Sox probably would not have to give up a draft pick to sign him.

Obviously trading him only makes sense if the Sox are out of the playoff picture, and he agrees to such a trade.

As for me, I would be reluctant to commit $10 million+/year to re-sign him, when the Sox could get similar production for less cost from another player, leaving money to upgrade elsewhere.

Daver
04-26-2010, 11:15 PM
What to do with Konerko?

I'd have him play first base five or six days a week.

Tragg
04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
For those who want to keep Paulie long-term, it might be more advantageous to trade him and then re-sign him as a free agent.
He wouldn't bring much in trade.
I still say our best opportunities will be relievers in JUly, if we're out of it.

soxstarter
04-26-2010, 11:25 PM
I will take care of the lock up personally. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2010, 11:43 PM
He wouldn't bring much in trade.
I still say our best opportunities will be relievers in JUly, if we're out of it.

Obviously I don't want it to happen, but a Beane-like firesale of AJ, Paulie and Linebrink would save a ton of money and would probably bring back a few decent prospects.

Of course, I'd much rather the Sox be buyers than sellers. How about Lance Berkman?

palehozenychicty
04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
It all depends. If they're contending later this summer, you keep him. If not, you got to let him go. He's been a great player for this team, but it's better to let a player go too early than too late.

DSpivack
04-27-2010, 12:00 AM
It all depends. If they're contending later this summer, you keep him. If not, you got to let him go. He's been a great player for this team, but it's better to let a player go too early than too late.

Branch Rickey agrees with you.

jabrch
04-27-2010, 12:06 AM
IMO, it all depends on how much PK wants to make to finish out his career with the Sox.

stevemcstud
04-27-2010, 12:51 AM
No way do you lock up an aging 1B/DH type who is (charitably) an average hitter. I think he's almost immovable in a trade, but if you can get someone to trade you real prospects for him, you jump at the chance.

Ya because average hitters always hit around 30 hr and 90 rbis

LoveYourSuit
04-27-2010, 01:03 AM
I knew this thread was coming.

It's Dankerific
04-27-2010, 01:17 AM

He hasnt done either since 2007

SephClone89
04-27-2010, 01:23 AM
He hasnt done either since 2007

:rolleyes:

He was only two solo shots away from it last season, all the while hitting .290

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2010, 02:02 AM
I say wait until the end of the year, but if come July we're out of it and Paulie is still hitting this hot, I'd field offers.

kufram
04-27-2010, 06:02 AM
On a bad day Paulie grounds into a double play and kills a rally. On a good day he wins the ball game. The only live White Sox game I've ever been to PK had no defensive plays to sparkle at and didn't hit anything... some people would say how can that justify the thousands of dollars he earned that day? But every day he is a franchise player and human being.

Some guys tank during contract years (JD where are you? ... AJ?... god, I hope not) others play themselves into another contract. I'd want a young major league replacement ready to go before even considering losing PK.

A. Cavatica
04-27-2010, 07:01 AM

This is a dumb post. First basemen are expected to hit, and hit in the clutch, because it's the easiest position to play on the field.

Look up Konerko's production relative to all major league first basemen. Pick last year, when he was close to his career average, or pick his best year and his worst year and split the difference, or pick three years at random. It doesn't matter, you're not going to come away thinking he's any better than average for his position.

I'll give you a hint: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/year/2009/position/1b/sort/OPS

ewokpelts
04-27-2010, 01:24 PM
deal him if you can, or let him ride out this year.

oh, i think the sox can easily replace him at first if he's dealt this year. quentin, flowers, viciedo, ect

mantis1212
04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
For those suggesting a trade for the purpose of saving money, you must consider the drop in attendance that will occur after a perception is created of giving up on the year. The $6MM isn't free.

I say ride him out for the year- I bet then he gets re-signed for much less money.

MetroPD
04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
This is a dumb post. First basemen are expected to hit, and hit in the clutch, because it's the easiest position to play on the field.

Look up Konerko's production relative to all major league first basemen. Pick last year, when he was close to his career average, or pick his best year and his worst year and split the difference, or pick three years at random. It doesn't matter, you're not going to come away thinking he's any better than average for his position.

I'll give you a hint: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/year/2009/position/1b/sort/OPS

Not bad and not great, he's a good player and a good fit at the position as evidenced by your link. 19th in both AL and NL for OPS is failure? He's not a top ten but he isn't terrible either considering as a team we hit 20th overall for OPS. Just who would be better for us?

TDog
04-27-2010, 04:30 PM

oh, i think the sox can easily replace him at first if he's dealt this year. quentin, flowers, viciedo, ect

Have you ever seen Quentin play first?

That is a serious question. I've never seen Quentin play first. He never played first for the White Sox or Diamondbacks. He never played first in the minor leagues. I don't think he played first for Stanford. I don't know if he ever played first in high school in San Diego.

I'm just asking.

guillensdisciple
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Why would you lock him up?

g0g0
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I tie him up and reward him for being such an integral part of the organization with a contract that will let him retire a Sox.

konerko 14
04-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I tie him up and reward him for being such an integral part of the organization with a contract that will let him retire a Sox.

Same here

Lip Man 1
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Phil Rogers has already said he thinks they should give him a two year deal with an option for a third one.

Lip

KMcMahon817
04-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Phil Rogers has already said he thinks they should give him a two year deal with an option for a third one.

Lip

This. But, it would be dumb to extend him now, and with 100 million already committed to the roster for next season, the contract would have to be very different from Paulie's current deal. Let the season play out, and offer him a two year deal in the 7-10 million range with an option for a third year. I would hope he would sign that, considering he was vastly overpaid by the Sox since 2006.

Madscout
04-27-2010, 06:01 PM

Your stat show him to be 19th overall in OPS, but I would say a great deal of that is the league he plays in. Look at the list again, and tell me if you would say that is a representative list of the best 1B in both leagues. I can tell you for a fact that Justin Morneau is a better hitter than Adam Dunn, Todd Helton, Ryan Howard, and Lance Berkman. The first 4 guys are all from the NL. That said, I'm not sure I'd take Konerko over anyone of those guys but Berkman and Helton (Berkman because he already is a .260s hitter in the NL, and Helton because he is getting old). I might even take him over Dunn, because I don't think Dunn could hit in the AL.

That said, the true question is this. Do we have anyone that could step in and fill Paulie's spot for equal or lesser amounts of money than we can get Paul for? I think that answer for now is no.

Sign him to a 2 year deal with a option for a third. I don't want another Thome around.

UChicagoHP
04-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd say it is extremely likely that if the Sox, for some reason or another, are out of contention for all intents and purposes come July 31, then Paulie will be dealt if his numbers are half-way decent. If they are in contention? They probably keep him around, as he can still help the team win in the playoffs. It's a gamble either way, a classic one that all GM's have to deal with when an aging star/fan favorite is reaching the end of the line. I wouldn't want to be Kenny!

He may have another three years of decent production, he may have another six months, but I don't want them to gamble on a 35 year old slightly better than average 1B, as much as I love the guy. If some team is desperate for a 1B for their WS run, Paulie will bring the Sox a decent haul, no doubt about that(assuming he is hitting above .260 and showing the 30HR power)...and he probably realizes that he may only have another year or two left to win a title as a key contributor and may WANT a trade to a contender(if the Sox stink, of course!)...

A. Cavatica
04-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Your stat show him to be 19th overall in OPS, but I would say a great deal of that is the league he plays in. Look at the list again, and tell me if you would say that is a representative list of the best 1B in both leagues.

Funny thing about that website -- you can list just the AL first basemen, too. There were ten full-time first basemen in the AL last year, and PK hit better than exactly one of them (Aubrey Huff).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/year/2009/position/1b/league/al/sort/OPS

It's not the league...it's you.

fram40
04-27-2010, 11:45 PM
It's a gamble either way, a classic one that all GM's have to deal with when an aging star/fan favorite is reaching the end of the line. I wouldn't want to be Kenny!

At least when Frank was let go, Thome was already here. The Konerko decision has to be one of Kenny's toughest - absolutely. An aging star/fan favorite. He led the team to the World Series (ALCS MVP), a huge grand slam in the World Series, an upstanding citizen, a Reinsdorf favorite. He's off to a hot start and there is no obvious replacement in line. I don't envy Kenny.

PK is one of my favorites - probably second only to Frank. I'd sign him - whatever it takes. But that's why I ain't the GM - because I would let sentiment influence every single decision.

Hitmen77
04-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I voted to keep Konerko. This is assuming that he's not going to come close to getting another $12 million/year contract from either the Sox or another team.

One of the biggest concerns I have with letting Konerko go is that the Sox haven't exactly had a good track record in replacing starting position players. Rowand gets traded? No problem, we're convinced that Brian Anderson is ready to take over in CF! Crede is gone? No problem, Josh Fields is a "future all-star" and his improved defense is going to "shock" us. Thome is not coming back? Don't worry, Mark Kotsay will be great as part of our DH rotation. So long Scott ".371" Podsednik, hello Juan ".211" Pierre.

How will the Sox approach replacing Konerko if he's gone in 2011? It wouldn't shock me at all to hear them still say that Dayan Viciedo is our man.:o:

bigdommer
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Funny thing about that website -- you can list just the AL first basemen, too. There were ten full-time first basemen in the AL last year, and PK hit better than exactly one of them (Aubrey Huff).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/year/2009/position/1b/league/al/sort/OPS

It's not the league...it's you.

And the O's traded Huff and got absolutely nothing.

If this were 3 years ago, you trade Paulie to the highest bidder, and you probably get 3 guys back, maybe one guy who can help your ballclub soon, a B level prospect, and a wildcard. Now, with teams being careful with payroll and hoarding prospects, Paulie would net maybe a B level prospect and that's it. Plus, Paulie has a no trade clause that could really limit where he goes. After seeing that AJ would only net a C level prospect, KW can't be too optimistic.

Linebrink would be intruiging if he can stay on track. It would only cost $8MM for a team to get him for the 2nd half of this year and next. Plus, Ozzie is only using him in losing situations anyway, so he can be traded without really disrupting the ballclub or creating any negative PR.

bigdommer
04-28-2010, 01:16 PM
One of the biggest concerns I have with letting Konerko go is that the Sox haven't exactly had a good track record in replacing starting position players. Rowand gets traded? No problem, we're convinced that Brian Anderson is ready to take over in CF! Crede is gone? No problem, Josh Fields is a "future all-star" and his improved defense is going to "shock" us. Thome is not coming back? Don't worry, Mark Kotsay will be great as part of our DH rotation. So long Scott ".371" Podsednik, hello Juan ".211" Pierre.

While the replacements have not been good, the players who we have gotten rid of have not exactly lit the world on fire.

Crede - terrible last year and now a free agent
Rowand - bottom 3rd of MLB CF's statistically, and one of the most overpaid players in the league and untradeable
Thome - useless as pinch hitter for LAD in their stretch run, and only used as a backup DH and PH for MIN
Pods - has been very good for 18 games, but I'll hold judgement until at least the 2nd half

MetroPD
04-29-2010, 08:08 PM
TCQ can't hit since his injury. Flowers and Viciedo, how much time do they have at major league level hitting again?

I'll never understand how people just do not like Paulie. The guy is a gamer.

soltrain21
04-29-2010, 08:31 PM
TCQ can't hit since his injury. Flowers and Viciedo, how much time do they have at major league level hitting again?

I'll never understand how people just do not like Paulie. The guy is a gamer.

What does that have to do with anything?

You have to start somewhere, yes?

PhillipsBubba
04-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Trade him.

This team needs lots of help...more help than PK can provide by staying.

jabrch
04-30-2010, 08:39 AM

If either of those guys can do whatever PK projects in the next three years, then we will have a spot for them - AND PK.

palehozenychicty
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Your stat show him to be 19th overall in OPS, but I would say a great deal of that is the league he plays in. Look at the list again, and tell me if you would say that is a representative list of the best 1B in both leagues. I can tell you for a fact that Justin Morneau is a better hitter than Adam Dunn, Todd Helton, Ryan Howard, and Lance Berkman. The first 4 guys are all from the NL. That said, I'm not sure I'd take Konerko over anyone of those guys but Berkman and Helton (Berkman because he already is a .260s hitter in the NL, and Helton because he is getting old). I might even take him over Dunn, because I don't think Dunn could hit in the AL.

That said, the true question is this. Do we have anyone that could step in and fill Paulie's spot for equal or lesser amounts of money than we can get Paul for? I think that answer for now is no.

Sign him to a 2 year deal with a option for a third. I don't want another Thome around.

No he's not.

MetroPD
04-30-2010, 01:25 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

You have to start somewhere, yes?
How about trying to win some games this year? How about if we didn't have Paulie and had a team full of Carlos Quentins it would make for an awfully long and pointless season yes? We're not even a full month into the season and people are advocating trading away our best offensive talent thus far and bring up 21 year old who hasn't seen a major league pitch and a 24 who has less impressive stats than either Joe Borchard or Josh Fields. Start them when there is no one else left and/or when they're ready.
Trade him.

This team needs lots of help...more help than PK can provide by staying.
Ok, what are we going to get for him? The same as when we tried to shop Jermaine Dye? Sorry but he's the best we've got and we're not going to get anything in return to help this club by any means. Our pitching is attrocious with a few exceptions and our hitting is worse than the bad news Bears. This is the only bright spot on our roster.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
It all depends on how the Sox do, if they continue to be below the .500 mark and nine games out of first around June 1st, he'll be on the trading block and may bring back a good piece or two.

Lip

badgerboy1848
04-30-2010, 06:50 PM

this

UChicagoHP
04-30-2010, 07:08 PM
No he's not.

Moreneau is a career .280BA/.354OBP/124OPS+

Konerko is a career .277./.353/117OPS+

And considering Morneau is still in, or just leaving his prime, I'd say he is a TAD BIT better all around, but it's pretty damn close, much closer than I thought honestly considering JM has an MVP or two in his trophy case. In the 2010 season, Paulie is mashing, but I expect them to finish pretty close to each other again. I'll give you this, in the NATIONAL media Morneau is massively over-rated. Going by that coverage alone you'd think he was a .330/.400OBP/140OPS+ type of guy, when he really has only had one SUPERSTAR calibre year, while Konerko has had 2 in '06 and '07...

MISoxfan
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Moreneau is a career .280BA/.354OBP/124OPS+

Konerko is a career .277./.353/117OPS+

And considering Morneau is still in, or just leaving his prime, I'd say he is a TAD BIT better all around, but it's pretty damn close, much closer than I thought honestly considering JM has an MVP or two in his trophy case. In the 2010 season, Paulie is mashing, but I expect them to finish pretty close to each other again. I'll give you this, in the NATIONAL media Morneau is massively over-rated. Going by that coverage alone you'd think he was a .330/.400OBP/140OPS+ type of guy, when he really has only had one SUPERSTAR calibre year, while Konerko has had 2 in '06 and '07...

Konerko's best years were '04, '05, and '06. Definitely not '07.