PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you could get a hit in a Major League game?

october23sp
04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Do you think you could? Let's say you get 1 year to train with a Major League hitting coach, hopefully not Greg Walker, and you will be given 200 at bats to do so.

It's often considered one of the harder things to do in sports, especially by die-hard baseball fans (which we all are here).

soltrain21
04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
No. If they throw a pitch remotely inside than I'm getting the hell out of dodge for the rest of my at bats.

october23sp
04-26-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd say I'd get at least one bloop single just because I have played baseball and the one year with a hitting coach would help a lot.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Only if they gave me a churro for every hit.

Speaking of which, no churro option = automatic poll fail.

soltrain21
04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I'd say I'd get at least one bloop single just because I have played baseball and the one year with a hitting coach would help a lot.

I have played baseball, too. That doesn't mean I'm about to hit a 94 MPH fastball or a slider that is absolutely insane.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I lost the ability to hit when kids started throwing curveballs in little league. I doubt I could hit a major league 12-6.

october23sp
04-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I have played baseball, too. That doesn't mean I'm about to hit a 94 MPH fastball or a slider that is absolutely insane.

The 94 MPH fastball is my best bet, I doubt I'd be able to touch a Curve or Slider.

MarkZ35
04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
It's really not that hard to hit major league pitching. But it's EXTREMELY hard to drive the ball and do it consistently.

WhiteSox5187
No chance in hell. I mean, if you're talking about giving me 500 ABs or something, MAYBE I'd get a bloop or something, but I could easily see myself going 0 for 200. I have a hard time catching up to anything above eighty.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
The 94 MPH fastball is my best bet, I doubt I'd be able to touch a Curve or Slider.

Well, you also gotta figure that you won't be facing Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay, or CC Sabathia every at-bat. Chances are, you'll face off against a nervous rookie or a pitcher that's off his game every once in a while.

soltrain21
04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, you also gotta figure that you won't be facing Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay, or CC Sabathia every at-bat. Chances are, you'll face off against a nervous rookie or a pitcher that's off his game every once in a while.

...And we are people who, at best, played high school baseball.

Oblong
04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
No way. I was a pretty good high school player and when I played in an A league 2 years removed, a guy on our team pitched AA ball before retiring. He kept his arm in shape. He would pitch to us, like switching on and off.

doublem23
04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
If we're just talking a 95+ MPH straight fastball, maybe if I had a million swings, I might accidentally hit one about to the pitcher's mound. If you're talking about a guy throwing breaking balls and off-speed stuff, I could probably start swinging now and wouldn't even foul one off by the time I die. Not even close.

It's Dankerific
04-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm sure Id at least get to first.

GoGoCrede
04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
I'd probably pull a Swisher and strike out looking.

spawn
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Not a chance in hell. All they'd have to do is throw one fast ball and two breaking balls, and I'd be done.

TDog
04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
No.

My best chance would be with a pitcher who wasn't working hard to get me out. With an aluminum bat -- they are so forgiving. If a straight fastball doesn't miss the bat, it could shoot through the hole between first and second. With a wooden bat, I would have to be much luckier.

If a pitcher wanted to get me out, he could change speed and mess with me by throwing cutters.

october23sp
04-26-2010, 08:52 PM
The thing is, I've faced guys who bring the heat like 80-85 heat and done alright which is why I think if I faced a major leaguer after training for a year, I'd get at least one blooper.

ilsox7
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
The thing is, I've faced guys who bring the heat like 80-85 heat and done alright which is why I think if I faced a major leaguer after training for a year, I'd get at least one blooper.

From a pure "heat" perspective, 80-85 is absolutely nothing. Laughable, really. The thing that separates most major league pitchers from even their minor league counterparts is the movement to their pitches. I once caught a LHP who was in the big leagues, but nothing too special, and his movement was still sick.

Soxgirl22
04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, seeing as how the only way I'd be able to come remotely close to catching up to it is to swing the second it leaves the pitcher's hand, I'd definitely be striking out swinging on three pitches. I play softball, and I'm pretty sure I'd have a problem hitting the smaller ball even if it was thrown like, 70 mph, so, I'd be in trouble.

Oblong
04-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I got a hit off Derek Lowe in HS, if that counts? :redneck

GoGoCrede
04-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I got a hit off Derek Lowe in HS, if that counts? :redneck

That makes for an awesome story, actually.

Daver
04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I'd get hit.

I'm an expert at leaning into pitches, it was the only way I got on base in HS.

Brian26
04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Not a chance in hell I could ever get a hit in a major league game. I wouldn't be able to catch up to the worst fastball in the league even if I knew it was coming.

My biggest baseball fantasy would be to take some batting practice swings at the Cell with an aluminum bat against Kevin Hickey to see if I could hit one out. I know I couldn't do it with a wood bat, but I might be able to pull a 65 mph Hickey BP pitch into the LF bullpen with an aluminum.

Huisj
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
When I was a freshman in high school, my team faced a guy who supposedly got drafted (not sure if it was true or not) who threw in the 80s. One guy on our team hit a foul straight back to the screen, and that was the only contact anyone had the whole game (which lasted all of 3 innings thanks to a mercy rule). I played 3B that game, but didn't bat because another kid DH'd for me. Maybe I'm stubborn and have a grudge, but I still think I could have at least made contact at least though give a couple of appearances. A hit? Maybe not, but who knows.

However, a Michigan class D high schooler and a major leaguer are not exactly the same. And I haven't swung a bat at anything faster than a slow pitch softball now in probably 6 or 7 years.

How did Garth Brooks do in spring training with the Padres that one year? Heck, if he could make contact, I'd like to think that with a year of coaching and training, I could too eventually.

Scottiehaswheels
04-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Wet grass, drag bunt, and pitcher/catcher both slip and fall on their asses? I might have a shot at beating it out. Counts as a hit! :D:

Oblong
04-26-2010, 11:21 PM
That makes for an awesome story, actually.

Trouble is we didn't know he was anything special. He played SS and P. He got a basketball scholarship to Eastern Michigan, didn't even know he was being scouted for baseball. I don't even remember getting the hit, I just know I played well in a game against them and I was told after he got drafted that he was pitching the game we played. Then he's leading the Red Sox to their WS in 2004 and the field a few blocks from my house is named after him. Crazy.

I went to play a softball game a few years ago and on this other field we saw one guy just crushing them, one after another in a practice. We went to look and it was Steve Avery. You think of pitchers being goofy hitters but just watching him was amazing. He looked different from any oher softball player I'd seen. Like clockwork, bam, bam, bam, bam... that showed me the level of skill these guys get once they make it to the big leagues, even a guy who wasn't a hitter, but a pitcher. He's a skinny dude too.

I know a guy who went to a fantasy camp. He said there was a guy there acting like a big shot player. He hit a 2B off the wall off of Dave Rozema. Next time up he's talking smack so Rozie (as we affectionately call him) says "Ok, I'll do it for real now." and whipped these breaking balls and made the guy look like a fool.

salty99
04-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I would hit at least .350 with 35 dingers.

WisSoxFan
04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
At 46 no way in hell. When I was 22 playing City League baseball I got a couple of hits off a former major leaguer (I'm drawing a blank on his name, but somewhere I have his baseball card). Of course he was 46 at the time.:D:

Konerko05
04-27-2010, 12:19 AM
A full year of training, and 200 at bats?

I think I'd be able to get lucky at least once in 200 at bats.

Dibbs
04-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I am sure we could all get some bloop hits. If i had to bet, I would say I would bat around .150.

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2010, 12:56 AM
I am sure we could all get some bloop hits. I'll bet I couldn't get the bat moving before a mediocre ML fastball was already past me, even if I wasn't bailing out, which I probably would be. Don't even talk to me about ML breaking stuff.

If i had to bet, I would say I would bat around .150.If I had to bet, I would bet you wouldn't.

TDog
04-27-2010, 01:19 AM
I'll bet I couldn't get the bat moving before a mediocre ML fastball was already past me, even if I wasn't bailing out, which I probably would be. Don't even talk to me about ML breaking stuff. ...

Consider that you don't have the experience to recognize whether the pitch coming is the hard fastball with some movement, the cut fastball which isn't where you think it is if you swing at if you're expecting the A fastball, or the softer breaking stuff, which could make you look very silly if you're swinging with expectations of a fastball.

There are a few people here with some strong, competitive baseball experience. But for the rest of us, if a major league pitcher, even a pitcher some people here might refer to as "garbage" wants to get you out, he'll get you out.

It's Dankerific
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Perhaps the guy is TRYING to get me to hit into a DP, then it finds a hole..

ilsox7
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Consider that you don't have the experience to recognize whether the pitch coming is the hard fastball with some movement, the cut fastball which isn't where you think it is if you swing at if you're expecting the A fastball, or the softer breaking stuff, which could make you look very silly if you're swinging with expectations of a fastball.

There are a few people here with some strong, competitive baseball experience. But for the rest of us, if a major league pitcher, even a pitcher some people here might refer to as "garbage" wants to get you out, he'll get you out.

I would pay money to see some folks here step in the box. One 93 mph fastball up and in and they would be bailing out for the next 3 pitches.

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2010, 02:06 AM
I am sure we could all get some bloop hits. If i had to bet, I would say I would bat around .150.

Not even close. I know that hitting .150 is miserable for an MLB player, but to even make the big leagues you have dominated (or have at least come close to dominating) at EVERY level of baseball you have ever played. If I got 500 ABs I MIGHT get two hits.

harwar
04-27-2010, 06:56 AM
...And we are people who, at best, played high school baseball.

Yea,high school and connie mack but only because of my arm and speed in center .. back then great defense meant a lot .. my answer would be no

doublem23
04-27-2010, 07:13 AM

Throw about 10 more zeroes between the period and the 1 and I think you're on to something.

Like I said, if a guy is just bringing straight fastballs, then maybe you'll get lucky and accidentally tap one back into fair territory. You'd definitely have to do it before he buzzed one under your chin, though. You'd be toast after that. If they add movement to that fastball, off-speed stuff, breaking balls, it would never happen. Ever.

HomeFish
04-27-2010, 07:39 AM
If Shingo Takatsu threw me his 50 mph change-up a few hundred times...

pmck003
04-27-2010, 09:03 AM

I dunno about 150 but i think most people physically healthy would get at least one hit w/ time, practice, and 200 ab's. I'd just take a very short swing and hope for a few bounces or a bloop if they started playing way in. Might take me 50 abs/a month or two before i make contact though..

white sox bill
04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I think the real question to this poll is:

Do you think you could even see a ball thrown by a MLB pitcher?

october23sp
04-27-2010, 09:32 AM

That really depends on the pitcher. Jenks or Verlander, maybe not. Buehrle? Yes. Now that doesn't mean Buehrle wouldn't eat us with his breaking stuff.

Marqhead
04-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I have trouble fouling off 70 mph at the cages, so no way.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/mw-dbf16.gif

Now if they're serving up these maybe it's a different conversation.

HebrewHammer
04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Is Scott Linebrink pitching to me in a close game? He'd find a way to let me get a hit off of him.

Chrisaway
04-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I think outta 100 pitches I might get a hold of 2 of em.:redneck

MeteorsSox4367
04-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure if I could. I'm lefthanded, so the pitcher would have to throw everything down and in, the favorite spot for a lot of lefties.

As for facing major league hitters, I always wanted to pitch to Robert Machado, because I'm convinced I could get him out.

jabrch
04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
I would have absolutley no chance. 2000 ABs and 20 years of training - and I still probably wouldn't get a base hit.

Getting a base hit would require me to recognize a pitch, make contact, and drive it through the IF. Then, I'd have to run to first base and beat out a VERY drawn in OF.

I wasn't a good hitter in college in the cage hitting 80-85mph stuff for fun with a metal bat for fun. I'd have zero chance of doing what it would take for me to get to 1B before a ball would. Even if I hit a blooper, I believe an IF going back or a OF coming in would probably throw me out. I'd guess that I have Konerko speed (and I guess more people here than are willing to admit it would be in the same class.)

doublem23
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Is Scott Linebrink pitching to me in a close game? He'd find a way to let me get a hit off of him.

:rolling:

You know that's POTW material.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=3934

pythons007
04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
I would hit at least .350 with 35 dingers.

You beat me to it. I was going to say I'd hit .300! :D:

KenBerryGrab
04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Not now, but a year out of Legion ball, during the '81 strike, Ross Baumgarten, Dewey Robinson and Ken Kravec came out to throw a scrimmage to stay in shape. Of course, they weren't throwing all out, but I got singles off Robinson and Kravec.

jabrch
04-27-2010, 12:25 PM

A funny joke... But Linebrink would eat you alive. As much as he is a whipping boy here, and as much as we are looking at a small sample size, Linebrink has a 1.29 ERA, opponents are hitting .125 against him, his WHIP is under 1.00 and he has been pretty effective... Not to say he won't suck...but so far, he's been good.

If I faced Linebrink 100 times, I would get ZERO hits.

Sox
04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
No way could I hit one....I guess I would try and squeeze out a hit by trying to bunt....lol.

Iwritecode
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM

They aren't that hard to see. It's putting the bat on the ball that's the problem.

They have a simulator set up at the Louisville Slugger factory where you can stand basically where the umpire would stand and watch a real ball come out of a hole in a video screen at the actual speed of a major league pitcher.

The video would show the windup of the pitcher and then the ball would pop out and hit the pad in front of you. It's pretty cool.

Dibbs
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM
If I had to bet, I would bet you wouldn't.

I would love to take you up on that bet! Let's call Kenny and see if we can get it done :redneck

EDIT: In all seriousness, after reading the rest of the posts, I think people are slightly overstating how difficult is is to get a hit. Everyone could get A hit eventually. Also, to those who say I would have trouble hitting a curve is laughable. Maybe I wouldn't hit .150, but I am sure I could hit .100. I would have about 5 HRs in 600 plate appearances too!

SephClone89
04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
They aren't that hard to see. It's putting the bat on the ball that's the problem.

They have a simulator set up at the Louisville Slugger factory where you can stand basically where the umpire would stand and watch a real ball come out of a hole in a video screen at the actual speed of a major league pitcher.

The video would show the windup of the pitcher and then the ball would pop out and hit the pad in front of you. It's pretty cool.

I was going to bring that thing up. I remember Buehrle was one of the options for pitchers.

october23sp
04-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I would love to take you up on that bet! Let's call Kenny and see if we can get it done :redneck

EDIT: In all seriousness, after reading the rest of the posts, I think people are slightly overstating how difficult is is to get a hit. Everyone could get A hit eventually. Also, to those who say I would have trouble hitting a curve is laughable. Maybe I wouldn't hit .150, but I am sure I could hit .100. I would have about 5 HRs in 600 plate appearances too!

You'd bat .025 with no HRs.

doublem23
04-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Dude, no offense, but if you're being serious, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Unless you're secretly a Major League hitter, you would never hit a fastball. You would never hit a changeup. You would never hit a curveball. You would never hit any of them. It is ludicrously difficult to do. Throw in 9 defenders and it would never, ever, ever happen.

Bob Roarman
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I think a lot of people can get a bloop hit. Just from sheer luck more than any kind of hand eye coordination or skill.

voodoochile
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
No way. I don't think I'd be able to make contact. 90 MPH is just ridiculously fast.

voodoochile
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I have trouble fouling off 70 mph at the cages, so no way.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I couldn't do anything with those pitches when I tried. I think I'd stand a better chance if I could see the windup which the machines don't have, but there's a whole other level between 70 and 90 anyway, so even with a windup I don't think I could touch 90 and one do drop in knee buckling curve ball and I'd probably respond as follows...

"That's 90 at my head AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!... um... I need to go change my pants..."

jabrch
04-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I couldn't do anything with those pitches when I tried. I think I'd stand a better chance if I could see the windup which the machines don't have, but there's a whole other level between 70 and 90 anyway, so even with a windup I don't think I could touch 90 and one do drop in knee buckling curve ball and I'd probably respond as follows...

"That's 90 at my head AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!... um... I need to go change my pants..."

Then - after (if) you make contact (and if it is in fair territory), remember you have to run to 1B before a fielder is able to get the ball to 1B.

Yeah...right...

If I were able to position the defenders where I want, I would bet against anyone here - and I hardly know any of you.

Marqhead
04-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Seeing the windup would certainly help. Some of those cages the machine is so close that you really have to time it perfectly even to make contact. That being said, it would help me against a 70mph pitch, but I still don't think I'd come close to a 90mph unless it were sheer blind luck.

ilsox7
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
No way. I don't think I'd be able to make contact. 90 MPH is just ridiculously fast.

90 isn't horribly fast. You can get used to that part of it. It's more of the fact that if you can throw 90+ with movement (even 80's with movement) or drop some nasty offspeed or breaking stuff that makes it crazy hard.

As strange as it sounds, facing 90 when I was a teenager seemed a hell of a lot faster than seeing it now from the stands. Not sure why that is.

jabrch
04-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Seeing the windup would certainly help. Some of those cages the machine is so close that you really have to time it perfectly even to make contact. That being said, it would help me against a 70mph pitch, but I still don't think I'd come close to a 90mph unless it were sheer blind luck.

and if you made contact, what are the odds you hit a line drive that either gets past an IF or over one? and one that you can leg out to 1B before my drawn in OFs throw you out?

:-)

This is what I love about golf. I know I CAN go out there and hit a ball perfectly...I can get a hole in one...I can hit a 300+ yard drive. I can hit a perfecto out of the bunker. I can sink a long put. I can do what a pro does. I don't do it as often or as well, but I can do it.

I have absolutely no chance to throw a 95mph fastball and then a curve that bends over home plate for a strike. I can't tackle a running back. I can't take LaBron James off the dribble. I can't blow a slapshot through 3 defenders and past a NHL goalie. I couldn't stop a Patrick Kane breakaway.

And as far as stepping into the box to hit against a major league pitcher with 9 defenders behind him...I'd have as close to zero percent chance as possible of getting a base hit.

ilsox7
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
and if you made contact, what are the odds you hit a line drive that either gets past an IF or over one? and one that you can leg out to 1B before my drawn in OFs throw you out?

:-)

This is the key. The chance of blooping a single, while small, is much higher than making solid contact. With a wood bat. Metal bats are VERY forgiving. So much so that MLB teams have wasted millions upon millions of dollars on kids who looked like they could hit, but once they had wood in their hands, could not do ****.

g0g0
04-27-2010, 02:28 PM
I said yes as far as a bloop. The question didn't state what team I was playing against and how many at-bats it would take. But I would have to get one in at least 10 years of trying. :D:

#1swisher
04-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Road trip!:cool:

TDog
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM

The thing is, even at my age, I believe could probably make contact with a 90 mph fastball -- if it was straight, if I had some time to adjust -- to time it -- and if I knew it was coming. I'm sure I could hit the equivalent of a 90 mph fastball if I saw enough out of a pitching machine. But pitching at the major league level isn't just about speed, it's about changing speeds, movement and location.

If he's changing speeds and you don't have the experience to recognize the pitch coming out of his hand, your reaction time slows, and that 90 mph fastball will have the effect of a 100 mph fastball.

You take a pitcher like Mark Buehrle who doesn't throw especially hard, and the movement will make you look silly.

Even if you hit the ball, a pop up will feel like a victory. If you hit a ground ball, you will marvel at how small those holes are on the infield.

Don't even think about bunting a major league fastball. You're too concerned with trying not to get killed to think about keeping it on the ground fair.

Baseball isn't nearly as easy as it looks.

jabrch
04-27-2010, 03:35 PM
The thing is, even at my age, I believe could probably make contact with a 90 mph fastball -- if it was straight, if I had some time to adjust -- to time it -- and if I knew it was coming. I'm sure I could hit the equivalent of a 90 mph fastball if I saw enough out of a pitching machine. But pitching at the major league level isn't just about speed, it's about changing speeds, movement and location.

If he's changing speeds and you don't have the experience to recognize the pitch coming out of his hand, your reaction time slows, and that 90 mph fastball will have the effect of a 100 mph fastball.

You take a pitcher like Mark Buehrle who doesn't throw especially hard, and the movement will make you look silly.

Even if you hit the ball, a pop up will feel like a victory. If you hit a ground ball, you will marvel at how small those holes are on the infield.

Don't even think about bunting a major league fastball. You're too concerned with trying not to get killed to think about keeping it on the ground fair.

Baseball isn't nearly as easy as it looks.

That's so true...

Oblong
04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Think about the success rate in MLB right now? I don't know but I'd guess it's like .270? That's 27%. The very best in the world, on average, get a hit 27% of the time.

Is it possible for a regular joe to get a hit? Yes. But it would be of the same variety as the old "Put 100 monkeys in front of typewriters and eventually, even if it takes 5000 years, they will come up with shakespeare". It would be total luck and random.

seventyseven
04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Of course the answer is no. For all of us. Unless you played minor league baseball and did well, you've got no chance.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-27-2010, 03:48 PM

I still play "fast pitch" baseball.....but the ability to hit 80+MPH has yet to happen. We're in the most recreational league and anyone who can hit the mid 70's with a fastball is gonna get the K.

So, no way in hell would I get a hit in an MLB game.
Getting hit? I can lean with the best of them.

Crede24Thome25
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
No. If they throw a pitch remotely inside than I'm getting the hell out of dodge for the rest of my at bats.

:D: I here yah buddy

Irishsoxfan
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm having trouble getting a hit in the Irish B league so I gotta say "no chance"!

soxlady8
04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I agree w g0g0 !!! great answer g0g0 !!

I would probably get lucky ( I am a pretty lucky person lately he he )
and I WORK extremely hard at everything I do. I was involved in a competitive sport in my late teens /early twenties and when people doubted my abilities I worked even harder to prove them WRONG --

I am also pretty fierce in the weight room ... I have shoulders , biceps, triceps , and forearms that would probably make me a pretty good hitter if I had the opportunity --

WON'T happen though as I am a FEMALE --
ahhhh schucks !!

tick53
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
I doubt it at my age but I can probably hit better than Juan Pierre.

Dibbs
04-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Dude, no offense, but if you're being serious, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Unless you're secretly a Major League hitter, you would never hit a fastball. You would never hit a changeup. You would never hit a curveball. You would never hit any of them. It is ludicrously difficult to do. Throw in 9 defenders and it would never, ever, ever happen.

I am sorry, but it is not that clear cut. There are varying levels of baseball talent. Many in this thread seem to think you are either a major league player, or you would never get a hit. I have played a decent amount of baseball in my life. I can hit bad fastballs, bad curves and bad changeups. And yes, I can hit one out at the Cell.

Now, if the question was could I ever score a goal in hockey. My answer would be not likely to happen. I have never really played hockey.

twentywontowin
04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
While we're talking about hitting fastballs, has anyone actually gotten hit by a 80+ mph pitch? I took a hockey puck going about 60, and that was pure hell.

october23sp
04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
While we're talking about hitting fastballs, has anyone actually gotten hit by a 80+ mph pitch? I took a hockey puck going about 60, and that was pure hell.

Getting hit at 80 would kill, but hockey pucks are 10x more painful.

Bob Roarman
04-28-2010, 12:14 AM
I got hit by a hockey puck once off the knee, padded and everything, had to take a seat for about 20 minutes. And that's from a non pro slap shot. I don't know how these guys in the NHL take sometimes multiple hits in the same shift and just stay out there or are out for maybe a shift. Sopel must be high on Vicodin half the time. Looks like he's high on something anyway.

ilsox7
04-28-2010, 02:24 AM

Yes, but it depends where you get hit. The most painful thing for me was fouling a pitch off of the inside bone on my ankle. That hurt like hell. But I would think taking a hockey puck would be much, much worse. I will NEVER understand why all hockey players do not wear full cages. Seeing a player go down to block a shot and take it off the face hurts me when I see it, let alone the guy who took a puck to the mouth or nose. Insanity.

guillensdisciple
04-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Have hit mid 80's before, given a year of training I think I would be able to clock a few fastballs and deck them.

NLaloosh
04-28-2010, 06:32 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that, even at my age, with 1 year to train and 200 at bats that I could get some hits even if my eyes were closed on every swing.

Eventually, you hit some by mistake. Seriously, I'm sure that I could get a few hits. I'm a lot stronger now than when I played. I'm pretty sure I'd hit at least one out of the park just by swinging hard.

HebrewHammer
04-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Think about the success rate in MLB right now? I don't know but I'd guess it's like .270? That's 27%. The very best in the world, on average, get a hit 27% of the time.

What does this say about our beloved White Sox?

:TCQ:
"27%? Woah. Slow down, overachiever."

jabrch
04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that, even at my age, with 1 year to train and 200 at bats that I could get some hits even if my eyes were closed on every swing.

Eventually, you hit some by mistake. Seriously, I'm sure that I could get a few hits. I'm a lot stringer now than when I played. I'm pretty sure I'd hit at least one out of the park just by swinging hard.

IF your eyes were closed and you swung hard, in a major league game with pitchers and defense, I'd bet just about anything you'd get ZERO base hits.

Closed Eyes
Hard swings

Bad recipe for success even for a major leaguer - much less for someone not experienced doing this.

Iwritecode
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
There was a "Joes vs Pros" episode once where the Joes had to try and hit off a former major league pitcher.

IIRC, they managed to get one or two "hits". I don't think he was just tossing BP either.

jabrch
04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
There was a "Joes vs Pros" episode once where the Joes had to try and hit off a former major league pitcher.

IIRC, they managed to get one or two "hits". I don't think he was just tossing BP either.

Without a major league infield/outfield trying to throw them out? Not really a hit then.... I have no doubt some people could make contact. But I don't think for a second that (with a few exceptions) people here are going to, in a game situation with a real defense, get to 1B before the ball.

soltrain21
04-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Eventually, you hit some by mistake. Seriously, I'm sure that I could get a few hits. I'm a lot stringer now than when I played. I'm pretty sure I'd hit at least one out of the park just by swinging hard.

Right...

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-28-2010, 10:40 AM

I took one in the shoulder for a 70 mph pitch. Nice purple/bluish lump for a few days.....

wilburaga
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Maybe 25 years ago, but then, the older I get the better I was.

Huisj
04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Here's Jake Peavy pitching to a sports anchor in Mobile, AL a few years ago. It's kind of funny. I don't think Peavy was throwing his hardest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0rhMM1IUCA

UChicagoHP
04-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Certainly, I played ball all through college and for a few summers after school. Eventually a fastball would be grooved down the middle, and I'd make solid contact. I've faced pitchers that could throw in the upper 90's and made solid contact, although none of them had a decent second pitch.

Hitting a fastball, for anyone who played beyond high-school, isn't that hard once you get the timing down...even when it comes to 90-93mph heat...anything above that is much tougher, but again, it's all about timing.

Hitting anything decent off-speed? Outside of a change-up on an 0-0 count, or a hanging slider/curve, no chance in hell at this point in time, as I had enough trouble hitting those pitches in school...

Dibbs
04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Here's Jake Peavy pitching to a sports anchor in Mobile, AL a few years ago. It's kind of funny. I don't think Peavy was throwing his hardest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0rhMM1IUCA

I actually feel more confident after watching that video. If someone with a swing like that could make contact, I think I would have decent luck.

Railsplitter
04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Seeing thatIm 45, I'd have to say no

Iwritecode
04-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Without a major league infield/outfield trying to throw them out? Not really a hit then.... I have no doubt some people could make contact. But I don't think for a second that (with a few exceptions) people here are going to, in a game situation with a real defense, get to 1B before the ball.

That's why I put "hit" in quotes. I don't remember where the guys hit the ball but I'm sure they managed to bloop at least one over the infield.

october23sp
04-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I actually feel more confident after watching that video. If someone with a swing like that could make contact, I think I would have decent luck.

Same here actually... But again, that's probably in January or something so Jake was probably throwing 80 tops.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Certainly, I played ball all through college and for a few summers after school. Eventually a fastball would be grooved down the middle, and I'd make solid contact. I've faced pitchers that could throw in the upper 90's and made solid contact, although none of them had a decent second pitch.

Hitting a fastball, for anyone who played beyond high-school, isn't that hard once you get the timing down...even when it comes to 90-93mph heat...anything above that is much tougher, but again, it's all about timing.

Hitting anything decent off-speed? Outside of a change-up on an 0-0 count, or a hanging slider/curve, no chance in hell at this point in time, as I had enough trouble hitting those pitches in school...

As you said, it's not the speed that will make it difficult, if I went the cages every day and went into the 90+ cage, eventually I'd start making contact cuz I'd get the timing down. But once you throw in movement and off speed pitches, I'm cooked.

chisoxjtrain
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Absolutely I could. I have faced guys who have been drafted and I believe one of them have made it to the majors briefly. I was actually in the White Sox prospects system a few years ago before I my arm got so bad I couldn't throw or hold a bat anymore.

jabrch
04-28-2010, 02:11 PM
That's why I put "hit" in quotes. I don't remember where the guys hit the ball but I'm sure they managed to bloop at least one over the infield.

And leg it out? Just blooping it doesn't get your hit. The OF would be drawn in against most of us and MLB IFs can get back on a ball.

Maybe some people could...I know I couldn't.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I have thought about it a bit, and in thinking about it, I think that if everyone who has posted in this thread were giving something like 600 ABs a year, everyone would get at least ONE hit. I think that 95% of the people on this board wouldn't come close to sniffing .100 and I think that the other 4.9% wouldn't come close to sniffing .150. Of the .1 percent left, I would say .0999% wouldn't come close to .200; there might be a few guys who were drafted here or played some form of professional baseball who could get around .200, but I have a hard time believing anyone here could hit more than .215 - but I'm not sold on it.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2010, 02:13 PM
And leg it out? Just blooping it doesn't get your hit. The OF would be drawn in against most of us and MLB IFs can get back on a ball.

Maybe some people could...I know I couldn't.

Again, if you're given 600 ABs there would be some little number with so much backspin that the catcher or thirdbaseman would over run it, there'd be some bloop that a fielder can't quite get to, there would be SOMETHING to ensure at least ONE hit. Now, if we're only talking 100, 200, or 300 ABs, I don't think many people here would get one.

Lundind1
04-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Throw me a fastball and I could get to it. Throw me un-godly breaking stuff and I am as good as Jerry Owens.

I have never been a middle in hitter, but with some work I think I could do okay.

I say fastball because when I did play I faced some pitching that was at 93-94 and was able to get it, but it was tough. Off speed crap always got me.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Throw me a fastball and I could get to it. Throw me un-godly breaking stuff and I am as good as Jerry Owens.

I have never been a middle in hitter, but with some work I think I could do okay.

I say fastball because when I did play I faced some pitching that was at 93-94 and was able to get it, but it was tough. Off speed crap always got me.

Keep in mind that most major leaguers have a fastball that moves too. Could you hit that?

akingamongstmen
04-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Keep in mind that most major leaguers have a fastball that moves too. Could you hit that?

Scott Linebrink needs somebody to remind him of this. :redneck

With a few hundred at-bats, I could have a decent shot against fastballs in the high 80s-low 90s as long as they are fairly straight and the pitcher is RIGHT HANDED. I'm a left-handed hitter and the thought of facing a LHP (especially one that throws from a 3/4 or lower slot) terrifies me. It would be like John Kruk against Randy Johnson in the All-Star game all over again. If a big league pitcher threw me breaking balls I'd just leave my bat in the dugout.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 11:19 AM
If Mark Buehrle can hit a home run, I'm quite confident I can get a hit.

beasly213
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM
:rolleyes:
I've read through a lot of these posts and it's hilarious to think that some of you really think you could break .100.

I think many of you watch the games on TV from the CF camera and see how easy it looks or how you can tell when a ball is breaking and you would know exactly where to swing.

Hitting a baseball off a pitcher when you have no idea what he is going to throw is hard enough if he tops out at 70. To assume you could hit someones 80MPH slider or curve is just crazy.

Also to those who think they could hit a fastball, do yourself a favor. Head to a cage that has a 90MPH cage. Get in there and watch the ball, now imagine that ball moving left to right or up and down on its way to you, and you really think you could hit it? You're out of your mind.

I play in a mens amatuer league and its no picnic off guys who throw 70 and have maybe 1 other pitch. The game is about 100x faster when you're playing then when you're just watching on TV.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Also to those who think they could hit a fastball, do yourself a favor. Head to a cage that has a 90MPH cage. Get in there and watch the ball, now imagine that ball moving left to right or up and down on its way to you, and you really think you could hit it? You're out of your mind.

I play in a mens amatuer league and its no picnic off guys who throw 70 and have maybe 1 other pitch. The game is about 100x faster when you're playing then when you're just watching on TV.

Same here. We go into the fast cages for practice just to see if anyone can make contact - and those pitches are nothing but fastballs with different positioning. I've yet to hit any pitch over 85MPH.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
:rolleyes:
I've read through a lot of these posts and it's hilarious to think that some of you really think you could break .100.

I think many of you watch the games on TV from the CF camera and see how easy it looks or how you can tell when a ball is breaking and you would know exactly where to swing.

Hitting a baseball off a pitcher when you have no idea what he is going to throw is hard enough if he tops out at 70. To assume you could hit someones 80MPH slider or curve is just crazy.

Never said I would break .100, but I guarantee with a year of training with anyone not named Greg Walker and 200 plate appearances, I'd get a hit.

Mark frickin Buehrle hit a home run, he gets maybe 5 at-bats a year. Freddy Garcia is a lifetime .200 hitter. How much time do you think MLB pitchers (especially ones in the AL) put into hitting? The answer is none, except maybe a little batting practice the day before they pitch in an NL park.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Never said I would break .100, but I guarantee with a year of training with anyone not named Greg Walker and 200 plate appearances, I'd get a hit.Now he's become the absolute worst hitting coach alive? You guys really take things to ridiculous extremes of hyperbole.

jabrch
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Now he's become the absolute worst hitting coach alive? You guys really take things to ridiculous extremes of hyperbole.

Welcome to WSI!

Oblong
04-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Without knowing if he played HS ball with any future major leaguers, I'm willing to bet that Mark was his team's best hitter in HS and very likely a better HS hitter than anybody on this website, yes I've read some say they played college ball. I say that based on the fact that in my school days I came across only 3 guys who made it to the majors, all pitchers. Steve Avery, Derek Lowe, and a guy named Tom Davey who played briefly for Toronto and SD before going to Japan. These 3 guys were clearly better hitters than the other guys.

I interpreted this question to mean if we stood in the box right now and faced 10-20 pitches. Give me a few months of training and I think I could eventually manage at least one hit in a couple hundred attempts.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Now he's become the absolute worst hitting coach alive? You guys really take things to ridiculous extremes of hyperbole.

It was half tongue in cheek. I'm not a fan, but obviously he knows something about hitting if he's an MLB hitting coach.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Without knowing if he played HS ball with any future major leaguers, I'm willing to bet that Mark was his team's best hitter in HS and very likely a better HS hitter than anybody on this website, yes I've read some say they played college ball.

I interpreted this question to mean if we stood in the box right now and faced 10-20 pitches. Give me a few months of training and I think I could eventually manage at least one hit in a couple hundred attempts.

I guess you should have read the first post. I'm assuming many others made the same mistake as you.

Iwritecode
04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Without knowing if he played HS ball with any future major leaguers, I'm willing to bet that Mark was his team's best hitter in HS and very likely a better HS hitter than anybody on this website, yes I've read some say they played college ball. I say that based on the fact that in my school days I came across only 3 guys who made it to the majors, all pitchers. Steve Avery, Derek Lowe, and a guy named Tom Davey who played briefly for Toronto and SD before going to Japan. These 3 guys were clearly better hitters than the other guys.

Actually, he was cut from his HS team his sophmore year.

Oblong
04-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Actually, he was cut from his HS team his sophmore year.

'well..... :redneck

Kenny Rogers had the same issues. He wasn't even a pitcher. Some scout happened to see him throwing long toss from LF to RF and convinced him to pitch. I don't think he was even that good of a player.

soltrain21
04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
I honestly can not believe some of you think you'd get a hit in an actual major league game.

jabrch
04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I honestly can not believe some of you think you'd get a hit in an actual major league game.

Unbelieveable ridiculous silly stupid crap at WSI? No way...

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Dude, David Wells had exactly 200 plate appearances. He had 23 hits. There are tons of people on these boards who could get a hit.

Huisj
04-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Like someone mentioned just a few posts above, I think a lot of people are reading this and thinking of it as going in cold into a game and getting a hit right away.

That is not what the original post was about. The original post mentioned a year of good training/instruction and then 200 plate appearances.

If somebody had some reasonable baseball experience under their belt, I don't think it's totally absurd and ridiculous to think some people here might get a few hits here and there under those circumstances. That does not mean it's not hard. That does not mean people here think they are as good as big leaguers. That does not mean people here would hit .200 or even .100 over that span. But to say "you're riduclous for exercising the thought that you could get a hit" with a year of preparation and then 200 chances to do it? I think that's what's absurd.

There is a big difference between having a year of practice and many attempts and going in cold.

TDog
04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Never said I would break .100, but I guarantee with a year of training with anyone not named Greg Walker and 200 plate appearances, I'd get a hit. ....

You believe that if you had Greg Walker helping you out for a year with your hitting, you couldn't get a hit, but with anyone else helping you you, you could?

Without breaking down into detail why that is an idiotic assessment, let me just say the Greg Walker hatred around here has reached an embarrassing level.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 09:10 PM
You believe that if you had Greg Walker helping you out for a year with your hitting, you couldn't get a hit, but with anyone else helping you you, you could?

Without breaking down into detail why that is an idiotic assessment, let me just say the Greg Walker hatred around here has reached an embarrassing level.

It was sarcasm based off the original post. Wow...if you believed that, I have some swampland in Florida to sell you.

konerko 14
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I think I could get a few, as long as I face a average pitcher, and they don't throw a 95 mph fastball inside:redneck

TDog
04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
It was sarcasm based off the original post. Wow...if you believed that, I have some swampland in Florida to sell you.

The problem is that because your post actually is the sort of thing that passes for non-hyperbolic analysis on this board, the sarcasm wasn't clear. The fact that people actually believe what you posted and would post such comments of their own would make these sentiments fair game for satire.

That might be why we have teal.

doublem23
04-29-2010, 10:32 PM

We would stop hating him if he would just stop being such a god awful hitting coach. THE BALL IS IN HIS COURT.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 10:38 PM
We would stop hating him if he would just stop being such a god awful hitting coach. THE BALL IS IN HIS COURT.

I haven't been here very long, but the hatred that you have displayed for Greg Walker is hysterical. Keep fighting the good fight.

october23sp
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I haven't been here very long, but the hatred that you have displayed for Greg Walker is hysterical. Keep fighting the good fight.

In my OP I was just kidding and obviously the other poster was kidding.

twinsuck
04-29-2010, 10:43 PM
No, because I'm a girl. :D:

rdwj
04-29-2010, 10:56 PM
No chance - and would LOVE to see the 17 that think they could do well get a chance. It would be funny to watch.

Frontman
04-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Um....no.

Coops4Aces
04-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm curious what percent of people who voted and/or commented in this thread actually read the first post.

Frontman
04-29-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm curious what percent of people who voted and/or commented in this thread actually read the first post.

Oh I did read it. And trust me; I have a hard time driving a 12 inch softball that's tossed during a beer and pretzels pickup game at a picnic; much less having a 96mph heater coming in belt-high but inside...

shes
04-30-2010, 12:42 AM
A year of practice with a professional means getting accustomed to and comfortable with all types of speed, movement, etc. If I'm spending an hour a day on Monday looking at 90 mph heaters, and then an hour Tuesday with 12-6 curves, and on and on, my brain and body will become accustomed enough that I can perform the task at hand at least once in 200 chances.

Garth friggin Brooks got a hit in SP for chrissake. I think anyone in decent shape who has played baseball through HS could do it. The last year I played in HS I hit about .200 with a half-dozen homers (Very Rob Deer-esque) one of which came against a future Padre farmhand who fizzled out. I imagine that I'd K 160 times and put the ball in play 40 times. One of those 40 is finding a hole.

For anyone who did not grow up playing the game, however, I could see the argument that it would be impossible. For many there is a fear that comes with standing in a batter's box. If you don't get over that, good riddance.

Dibbs
04-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow, one year to train! Definitely could hit at least .100. I was thinking 2 weeks to train and then step right in.

Huskie28
05-01-2010, 12:22 AM
you people are all stupid and suck at baseball...but I could easily get a hit in major league baseball...I've gotten a hit off of way too many major leaguers in college and pro ball to think i couldnt....:)

Mod edit: This is your last attack on other posters. Believe me. Check your ego at the door.

pudge
05-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Dude, David Wells had exactly 200 plate appearances. He had 23 hits. There are tons of people on these boards who could get a hit.

Pitchers are better athletes than we credit them for, but seriously, people are making this sound like it's the most impossible thing in the world... by shear accident most athletic people will get a couple hits. And if you train to hit 90 mph and are decently athletic, you'll eventually get a few knocks. At every level I played baseball, I was awful when I started, and after adjusting to the speed and talent of the next level, I started to hit. I'm certainly not saying I'd get more than a handful of hits out of 200 tries, which would be under .100, but let's not act like this is something nobody can do...

october23sp
05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Pitchers are better athletes than we credit them for, but seriously, people are making this sound like it's the most impossible thing in the world... by shear accident most athletic people will get a couple hits. And if you train to hit 90 mph and are decently athletic, you'll eventually get a few knocks. At every level I played baseball, I was awful when I started, and after adjusting to the speed and talent of the next level, I started to hit. I'm certainly not saying I'd get more than a handful of hits out of 200 tries, which would be under .100, but let's not act like this is something nobody can do...

This is probably the truest statement top to bottom. I bet I would get 15-20 hits in 200 abs after a year of training.

Mohoney
05-03-2010, 06:42 AM
My only chance would be the official scorer making a mistake and calling an error a hit on my behalf.

downstairs
05-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Tough question. With a year of training, I gotta believe I'd have enough skill to get a lucky bloop single.

The variable here is the pitcher. If the pitcher KNOWS I'm an amatuer, they're bound to only throw stuff I can't hit. They wouldn't mix in any straight fastballs. They would probably do a lot of brushing back too.

Also- the defense. If they KNOW I can't hit worth anything, the outfielders would play so far in, they'd basically be deep infielders, effectively covering every inch of the field I could actually hit it to.

However, with 3 strikes over 200 AB's... that's 600 chances. I have to believe I'd make lucky contact here and there, and at least one of them would be hit in the right place at the right time.

downstairs
05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
A year of practice with a professional means getting accustomed to and comfortable with all types of speed, movement, etc. If I'm spending an hour a day on Monday looking at 90 mph heaters, and then an hour Tuesday with 12-6 curves, and on and on, my brain and body will become accustomed enough that I can perform the task at hand at least once in 200 chances.

Garth friggin Brooks got a hit in SP for chrissake. I think anyone in decent shape who has played baseball through HS could do it. The last year I played in HS I hit about .200 with a half-dozen homers (Very Rob Deer-esque) one of which came against a future Padre farmhand who fizzled out. I imagine that I'd K 160 times and put the ball in play 40 times. One of those 40 is finding a hole.

For anyone who did not grow up playing the game, however, I could see the argument that it would be impossible. For many there is a fear that comes with standing in a batter's box. If you don't get over that, good riddance.

Also, Billy Crystal almost got a hit in the Yankees spring training. If you saw his skill at the plate, it was basically absent. He blooped the ball and got out, but try that 200 more times and he'd have gotten a hit.

CORRECTION: He struck out, but he did hit a farily hard foul ball. Had it been fair, it may have been a bloop single.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Also, Billy Crystal almost got a hit in the Yankees spring training. If you saw his skill at the plate, it was basically absent. He blooped the ball and got out, but try that 200 more times and he'd have gotten a hit.

CORRECTION: He struck out, but he did hit a farily hard foul ball. Had it been fair, it may have been a bloop single.Do you really believe the pitcher was going all out? He was tossing meat up there.

downstairs
05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Do you really believe the pitcher was going all out? He was tossing meat up there.

I don't know. I'm sure many pitchers would absolutely not want to be known for giving up a hit to an amateur. Sure, its cool to have "met" Billy Crystal and pitched to him... but ball players have huge, easily-brusable egos.

Also, I bet most players aren't really that into another team's stunts. Probably distracts them.

It was an actual ST game, so the stats counted for something (e.g. evaluating the pitcher's performance).

You may be right, but I'm just saying...