PDA

View Full Version : Will the Sox retire Paulie's #?

konerko 14
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
What do you guys think? I think they will

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes, and Buehrle's 56 too.

konerko 14
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
yeah, I agree with you on Burls also

konerko 14
04-25-2010, 09:19 PM
anyone who voted no, Interested to know why?

WSox597
04-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I think they will as well. He's been the face of the franchise for quite some time, and did well for himself in the World Series.

I may be biased, since he's my favorite current player. :D:

konerko 14
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I thought I might be also since he's also my favorite player :redneck, just wanted to see what you guys thought

spawn
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I voted no. I don't think he's done anything to warrant getting his number retired. He doesn't even have HOF numbers...not even close IMO. I just can't see it.

35th and Shields
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
I voted no. I don't think he's done anything to warrant getting his number retired. He doesn't even have HOF numbers...not even close IMO. I just can't see it.

I voted no as well. He's a good player, but not a great one.

konerko 14
04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
they have retired lesser players numbers than PK

spawn
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
they have retired lesser players numbers than PK
Which player and number are you referring to?

MetroPD
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
He's hit more home runs more RBIs and a higher slugging pct than Harold Baines. If Paulie was on the Yankee Red Sox Dodgers or sCrubs he would be a household name.

Dibbs
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Based on his total stats vs the other guys on the wall, you would think they would have to.

On the other hand, he has never been a superstar like player in the league.

rdwj
04-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I doubt it. He's a nice player, but he isn't special. Frank is the type of guy that you retire a number for, not Paulie

jabrch
04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Will he sign a deal after this and finish his career out with the Sox? What will his numbers look like?

spawn
04-25-2010, 10:05 PM
He's hit more home runs more RBIs and a higher slugging pct than Harold Baines. If Paulie was on the Yankee Red Sox Dodgers or sCrubs he would be a household name.
Harold Baines was a 6-time all-star and hit over .300 eight times. He has a career .324 postseason average. He has 1,628 RBI to 1,058 for Konerko. He has 384 homers. He has a .465 SLG. All three are higher than Konerko right now. If Baines had played in NY or Boston, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Harold Baines was a 6-time all-star and hit over .300 eight times. He has a career .324 postseason average. He has 1,628 RBI to 1,058 for Konerko. He has 384 homers. He has a .465 SLG. All three are higher than Konerko right now. If Baines had played in NY or Boston, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.Konerko will have played more game for the White Sox though, with more RBIs, HRs, and OBP. If Konerko plays for us utill he is 42 (like Baines), there is no way he doesn't get his number retired... Even two more years out of Konerko and I think he will deserve it.

We can't really compare the two until Konerko's career is over... Lets just hope he says consistant for 6 or so more years. 34 isnt THAT old...

A. Cavatica
04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
If they do, it'll be a marketing stunt, not because he's earned it.

He's not a special player, he's just one with tenure.

Boondock Saint
04-25-2010, 10:35 PM

That about sums it up for me. He's had a great career with the team, but not one of the all-time greats. He has a strong presence in Sox history whether they retire his number or not, so I don't think it would be that much of a slight to keep #14 active after he leaves/retires.

Tragg
04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I voted no because he's not that level of player.

SephClone89
04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
From a thread a few months back...

This season he'll probably:
Pass Baines, Collins, Ozzie, Schalk, and Frank(!) in games played (#3)
Ozzie, Collins, Baines in ABs (#5)
Baines in PA (#5)
Minoso in runs (#5)
Baines in hits (#5)
Fox in total bases (#3)
Baines and MAYBE Fox in doubles (#4/3)
Minoso, Fox, Ventura in walks (#3)

If he hits 100 RBI (being very optimistic, obviously) this season then he'll tie Appling for #2.

Of course, we already know that he's #2 behind the big guy in homers and extra-base hits. He's a solid defensive first baseman, and was captain of the team when they won their first title in 87 years. Baines has been retired twice.

#14 is going up on that wall, period. (#56, too)

october23sp
04-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Buehrle and him both should, both were on the team 5 years before and after the first World Series in 88 years. Both were huge parts to that teams success, that warrents number retirement.

october23sp
04-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I voted no because he's not that level of player.

This isn't the hall of fame, it's the hall of Sox fame.

Daver
04-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Harold Baines was a 6-time all-star and hit over .300 eight times. He has a career .324 postseason average. He has 1,628 RBI to 1,058 for Konerko. He has 384 homers. He has a .465 SLG. All three are higher than Konerko right now. If Baines had played in NY or Boston, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

Harold Baines is also one of the few players with over 1500 RBI to not be in the HOF, and I really doubt he will ever get serious consideration, but I also think that the MLB HOF is a complete and utter joke, so consider my opinion a tad tainted.

BleacherBandit
04-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf retired Baines' number before he even RETIRED himself. Let's not count out the Sox' overzealous approach to number retirement.

DumpJerry
04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Not a chance. So far, the only time he led the AL in an offense category was in 2003. The category? GIDP.:angry: (a Sox fan I know calls him "6-4-3")

anewman35
04-25-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure some of the posters are reading the question. It's not "should they", it's "will they". And I think it's a pretty fair lock that they will, especially if he is around for a few more good years after this. The Sox historically have never been a team that's been especially strict about who they retire a number for, and given that he's going to end up in the top 5 for many offensive categories and add the 2005 World Series and the fact that he's generally been a fan favorite who hasn't done anything to really ever upset anybody, and I'd say that it's pretty much a done deal.

Noneck
04-25-2010, 11:38 PM
If he signs a contract with the Sox after this year, the answer is yes. If he doesn't, the answer is no.

sox1970
04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah, they will. He's had a good career, played 12+ years with the Sox, and he gave Reinsdorf the ball. Done deal. 14 retired and a statue. The White Sox way.

DumpJerry
04-25-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure some of the posters are reading the question. It's not "should they", it's "will they". And I think it's a pretty fair lock that they will, especially if he is around for a few more good years after this. The Sox historically have never been a team that's been especially strict about who they retire a number for, and given that he's going to end up in the top 5 for many offensive categories and add the 2005 World Series and the fact that he's generally been a fan favorite who hasn't done anything to really ever upset anybody, and I'd say that it's pretty much a done deal.
Wilbur Wood, Richie Allen, Robin Ventura, Joel Horlen, and Bobby Thigpen are players who could present as strong of an argument as Konerko for number retirement.

It has been either someone who was strongly remember long after his playing days were over or someone who was such a stud, he was shoe-in for HoF inclusion (Fisk, Thomas).

Hendu
04-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Tough to say what they will do...it'll be a close call either way but I think he'll fall short.

I am not a big fan of retiring numbers in general...it's very short-sighted. Now I know it's hard for us to fathom 500, 1000 years etc. And who knows if baseball (let alone civilization as we know it) will even exist centuries in the future, but I don't think we should assume it won't. And at some point teams will run out of numbers.

Boondock Saint
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't think Konerko's ever been the face of the White Sox. While Konerko's been here, it's always been either Thomas or Buehrle, in my opinion. Both of those guys deserve retired numbers.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Tough to say what they will do...it'll be a close call either way but I think he'll fall short.

I am not a big fan of retiring numbers in general...it's very short-sighted. Now I know it's hard for us to fathom 500, 1000 years etc. And who knows if baseball (let alone civilization as we know it) will even exist centuries in the future, but I don't think we should assume it won't. And at some point teams will run out of numbers.Then we will incorporate the alphabet.

WhiteSox5187
04-26-2010, 12:02 AM

I am not a big fan of retiring numbers in general...it's very short-sighted. Now I know it's hard for us to fathom 500, 1000 years etc. And who knows if baseball (let alone civilization as we know it) will even exist centuries in the future, but I don't think we should assume it won't. And at some point teams will run out of numbers.

Man, if baseball is around as we know it in two hundred years let alone five hundred...wow.

As for Paulie, if he plays five more years with us, his number will be retired. If he walks after this year, I don't think so. Also if he plays another five years and keeps putting up numbers like this (which is a bit much to expect) he could potentially have borderline HOF consideration numbers.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Not a chance. So far, the only time he led the AL in an offense category was in 2003. The category? GIDP.:angry: (a Sox fan I know calls him "6-4-3")

When did Harold Baines or Carlton Fisk lead the AL in anything?

DumpJerry
04-26-2010, 12:08 AM
When did Harold Baines or Carlton Fisk lead the AL in anything?
Baines led the AL in Slugging percentage in 1984.

sox1970
04-26-2010, 12:15 AM

Well there's a credential.

It's such a lock that Konerko will have his number retired by the Sox. I'm actually surprised this many people don't think he will.

It's the White Sox. It's what they do.

12+ years with the team
300+ homers
Team captain for 5+ years
ALCS MVP
Won a championship
And most important....Handed...Reinsdorf...The Ball.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 12:18 AM

Konerko slugged .551 in 2006 and was 9th.

One year of leading the AL in slugging puts Baines on the wall and makes Konerko unworthy? Okie dokie.

DumpJerry
04-26-2010, 12:18 AM

Well there's a credential.
I was just answering the poster's question.

I'm still not convinced that Paulie is a lock for number retirement. He has never had the stature of a Frank Thomas whom we just knew every time he came up could send it flyin' on the Ryan. Robin Ventura is at least as deserving of number retirement as Paulie and that does not seem like a possibility.

SephClone89
04-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Seriously, read what I posted earlier. How the hell can anyone argue that?

sox1970
04-26-2010, 12:26 AM
I was just answering the poster's question.

I'm still not convinced that Paulie is a lock for number retirement. He has never had the stature of a Frank Thomas whom we just knew every time he came up could send it flyin' on the Ryan. Robin Ventura is at least as deserving of number retirement as Paulie and that does not seem like a possibility.

Ventura...nice player. Not number retirement worthy at all.

Basically 8 full years with the Sox..we'll give him 9 because of the ankle injury. So not even a decade with the big league club. I'm not going over his Sox career numbers. They don't touch Konerko's, and he didn't win anything but one division.

Shoeless
04-26-2010, 01:29 AM
I don't think Konerko's ever been the face of the White Sox. While Konerko's been here, it's always been either Thomas or Buehrle, in my opinion. Both of those guys deserve retired numbers.
Does anyone know where you can find information on the most popular White Sox jerseys? That's the only way I can think of comparing Paulie to Buehrle, other than PK is the captain and Mark is not.

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2010, 01:43 AM
The original question was "will they..." Probably.

If the question was "should they..." then I'd say no.

TDog
04-26-2010, 01:53 AM

Harold Baines should be in the Hall of Fame. When his number was retired by the White Sox, it appeared he was a future Hall of Famer, although the White Sox should have waited until Baines' career was over before officially retiring it.

The Red Sox actually wait before a player is elected to the Hall of Fame before retiring a number. They didn't with Ted Williams, but they didn't have to.

All of the numbers retired by the White Sox belonged to players who are or arguably should be in the Hall of Fame. I love Paul Konerko as a White Sox player. I hope he finishes his career as a White Sox player. But I don't believe he is in the same elite crowd.

Two of the retired numbers are from players who once held the White Sox team home run record -- Minnie Minoso and Harold Baines. Frank Thomas will have his number retired, and he holds the current team record. If Konerko passes Frank Thomas on the White Sox all-time home run list, I would reconsider my position, but if that happens, Konerko might be Hall of Fame worthy.

badgerboy1848
04-26-2010, 07:03 AM
I dont get people who think that a player has to be in the HOF to get their number retired by a team(unless thats the team's policy). IMO stats shouldent matter in stuff like this. All you need to do is ask youself is this: 10 -15 years after paulie isint on the team, and you see another guy in wearing number 14 in a sox uniform, will you automaticly think of PK? I will. Therefore his number should be retired.

Its about being special to a team, not stats(thats what the HOF is for).

LITTLE NELL
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
#14 will be on the left field wall.
Numbers speak:
2nd in HRs ..............327
2nd in RBIs..............1030
4th in total bases.....2963
6th in hits...............1660

dickallen15
04-26-2010, 07:42 AM

Baines put up a lot of his numbers with other teams. You don't retire numbers based on what players that played for the Sox did with other teams. Paulie is second all time in homers, climbing up the RBI list, and ALCS MVP (which is probably more valuable than leading the league once in slugging pct.) and hit perhaps the biggest homer in team history in the WS. He is a lock to have his number retired as long as JR is still around. He also was the team captain. Only Fisk and Ozzie have been team captains in recent times. While that may seem insignificant, it shows what the organization feels.

Johnny Mostil
04-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Jerry Reinsdorf retired Baines' number before he even RETIRED himself. Let's not count out the Sox' overzealous approach to number retirement.

Anybody know of a single-page, team-by-team list of retired numbers? I saw one here (http://www.baseball1.com/bb-data/bbd-run.html), but I don't know if it's current. On it, I see the Sox are fourth in the majors in retired numbers, behind the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cardinals. I'd like to compare the list of retired numbers on each team with HoF membership.

HomeFish
04-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Should they? No.

Will they? Yes.

HomeFish
04-26-2010, 08:02 AM
In November 2005 there were posters asking if CREDE'S number should be retired

doublem23
04-26-2010, 08:05 AM
In November 2005 there were posters asking if CREDE'S number should be retired

I think people were assuming he would keep up his level of play for several more years.

anewman35
04-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Wilbur Wood, Richie Allen, Robin Ventura, Joel Horlen, and Bobby Thigpen are players who could present as strong of an argument as Konerko for number retirement.

It has been either someone who was strongly remember long after his playing days were over or someone who was such a stud, he was shoe-in for HoF inclusion (Fisk, Thomas).

Years with the Sox:

Wilbur Wood: 12
Richie Allen: 3
Robin Ventura: 10
Joel Horlen: 11
Bobby Thigpen: 8

Paul Konerko: 12 (and counting)

And how many World Series teams were those players on?

Do you really think all those people have as strong of an argument as Konerko? It's not just about a few good seasons, it's being on the team for a long time AND having good seasons.

As for being "strongly remembered" or a "HOF shoo-in", I don't see how Harold Baines falls into either of those categories.

Another way I thought of to look at is this: the last decade was one of the most successful in the history of White Sox baseball. Which two players have been a part of that year in and year out, while remaining important members of the team on the field? Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle, and I think they both get their numbers retired. If we can retire numbers of two players from the 80s, I think the 00's are worthy of that too.

And as an aside, and this will cause fights I'm sure, but it really wouldn't surprise me to see them retire #13 one day.

The Dude
04-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes, and Buehrle's 56 too.

Yes, agreed. They probably aren't HOFers but definitely retired number worthy for our Sox.:gulp:

ewokpelts
04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
What do you guys think? I think they willyes, but not a for a while.

Thome25
04-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Konerko 14--The search option is your friend. I already created an identical thread in January of this year:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117712

MODS--Could you please merge this thread with the one I created above? THANKS!!

Hitmen77
04-26-2010, 09:15 AM
The original question was "will they..." Probably.

If the question was "should they..." then I'd say no.

I agree with you and some of the other posters on thee "should they..." I'd say no too. The only current Sox player who I'd vote for having his number retired is Mark Buehrle.

I think your answer on the "will they...?" (probably) is especially more likely if Konerko returns to the Sox after this season and has several more productive years with us.

This is why I would love to see the White Sox establish an official White Sox "Hall of Fame" to officially induct players that had very solid and popular careers with the Sox, but are not at the level of retiring their number. The players you mention here should be in such a "HoF" as should Konerko someday.

This would satisfy the fans' desire to have these great players recognized somehow. It shouldn't be either a retired number or nothing.

This Sox Hall of Fame could also include other popular Sox staff (on and off the field): managers (Lopez and LaRussa), announcers (Brickhouse, Elston, someday Harrelson), and perhaps even Nancy Faust.

dickallen15
04-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Why do people think Buehrle should but Konerko shouldn't? Hasn't Konerko had more productive seasons in a White Sox uniform than Buehrle at this point?

ewokpelts
04-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Why do people think Buehrle should but Konerko shouldn't? Hasn't Konerko had more productive seasons in a White Sox uniform than Buehrle at this point?konerko's falling off the charts(contract years like 2005 and 2010 excepted) may have to do with it.

buehrle also pitched a game where dewayne wise made a catch of sorts. so i imagine people like that

dickallen15
04-26-2010, 03:32 PM
konerko's falling off the charts(contract years like 2005 and 2010 excepted) may have to do with it.

buehrle also pitched a game where dewayne wise made a catch of sorts. so i imagine people like that
Buehrle has fallen off the charts as well. 2006 second half, 2007 after no hitter, 2009 after perfect game and great start against Minnesota. Regardless, as long as JR is around there is no way 14 doesn't go in mothballs.

stevemcstud
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
If they do, it'll be a marketing stunt, not because he's earned it.

He's not a special player, he's just one with tenure.

Not a special player?

If he averages this kind of line:

24 HR, 70 RBI, 50 R, 105 H, 21 2B

and plays till he is 40 (including this year in stats mentioned above) here is how his career will look:

500+ HR - Top 30 in History
1500+ RBI - Top 60 in History
450+ Doubles - Top 100 in History
2400+ Hits - Top 120 in History
1,250+ Runs - Top 150 in History

How is that not special?

sox1970
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Not a special player?

If he averages this kind of line:

24 HR, 70 RBI, 50 R, 105 H, 21 2B

and plays till he is 40 (including this year in stats mentioned above) here is how his career will look:

500+ HR - Top 30 in History
1500+ RBI - Top 60 in History
450+ Doubles - Top 100 in History
2400+ Hits - Top 120 in History
1,250+ Runs - Top 150 in History

How is that not special?

While your numbers are true, there's no way Konerko plays that long. If he plays past 2013, I'd be really surprised. When he starts to slip, he'll be done. Still, he's done enough under White Sox credentials to get his number retired.

soltrain21
04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm not going to join the debate of whether or not they SHOULD retire his number - but I think it's pretty easy to know that they WILL retire his number.

pythons007
04-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Eventually there is going to be a team that has retired all their numbers. What happens then?

Didn't Cleveland retired #99 Rich Vaughn was a badass!!

TDog
04-26-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm not going to join the debate of whether or not they SHOULD retire his number - but I think it's pretty easy to know that they WILL retire his number.

I honestly don't think that's the case.

If I'm wrong, it shows a watering down of standards. Wilbur Wood was a record-setting relief pitcher before he went into the starting rotation and won 20 games four seasons in a row. Wilbur Wood was the White Sox pitching at one time. He threw over 350 innings a couple of years. His number isn't retired.

Of course, it was 28. With those nameless red pinstripe home uniforms, the numbers seemed bigger and bolder. And 17 will always be Carlos May, whose birthday was taken off his back when they went to the red pinstripes. But 14 is both Bill Melton, who once held White Sox records for home runs in a season and career, and Paul Konerko, one of my two favorite White Sox first baseman of all-time.

I don't care who wears No. 15, it will always be Dick Allen's number.

I won't argue for Allen, Wood or May to have their numbers retired. And the overriding point is that I don't believe Melton's number deserves retirement, no matter who has worn it to date.

Part of the problem is that many fans don't have a great sense of history. They don't realize how great those players were who have their numbers retired. They look at Aparicio's stats and wonder why he's in the Hall of Fame. Had they seen watched him play, they wouldn't question this. They wouldn't wonder why 11 is considered a sacred White Sox number.

Frank Thomas will get his number retired. He deserves it. I doubt Konerko will because, as big a Paul Konerko fan as I am (and if I had a Hall of Fame vote I would cast one for Konerko as a nod to him when he becomes eligible, but knowing he didn't deserve the honor), I don't believe he deserves to have his number retired.

soltrain21
04-26-2010, 04:46 PM
I honestly don't think that's the case.

If I'm wrong, it shows a watering down of standards. Wilbur Wood was a record-setting relief pitcher before he went into the starting rotation and won 20 games four seasons in a row. Wilbur Wood was the White Sox pitching at one time. He threw over 350 innings a couple of years. His number isn't retired.

Of course, it was 28. With those nameless red pinstripe home uniforms, the numbers seemed bigger and bolder. And 17 will always be Carlos May, whose birthday was taken off his back when they went to the red pinstripes. But 14 is both Bill Melton, who once held White Sox records for home runs in a season and career, and Paul Konerko, one of my two favorite White Sox first baseman of all-time.

I don't care who wears No. 15, it will always be Dick Allen's number.

I won't argue for Allen, Wood or May to have their numbers retired. And the overriding point is that I don't believe Melton's number deserves retirement, no matter who has worn it to date.

Part of the problem is that many fans don't have a great sense of history. They don't realize how great those players were who have their numbers retired. They look at Aparicio's stats and wonder why he's in the Hall of Fame. Had they seen watched him play, they wouldn't question this. They wouldn't wonder why 11 is considered a sacred White Sox number.

Frank Thomas will get his number retired. He deserves it. I doubt Konerko will because, as big a Paul Konerko fan as I am (and if I had a Hall of Fame vote I would cast one for Konerko as a nod to him when he becomes eligible, but knowing he didn't deserve the honor), I don't believe he deserves to have his number retired.

He ranks very high in all Sox offensive categories and handed the World Series ball to the boss. He had longevity and success, both personally and the teams he played on.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
And as an aside, and this will cause fights I'm sure, but it really wouldn't surprise me to see them retire #13 one day.

I agree in two things:

1 - I can totally see the Sox retiring # 13. Without question.
2 - Discussions of # 1 creating said fights. Without question.

FoulTerritory
04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Paul is not a HOF player, but he does deserve his number retired by the White Sox. He has been a very successful player, and he also came up huge when it counted in the 2005 postseason. I think some people downplay his position in Sox history. I mean, 88 years for a W.S. title, and Paulie dominates Angles pitching in Anaheim, and then hits the crucial game two grand slam in the world series.

Retire the number.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 05:22 PM
How was Paulie not the face of the 2005 team by the way?

I love Buehrle, but before the perfecto, I am not sure anyone here would have said that he should have had his number retired.