PDA

View Full Version : Barry Zito

twinslayer
04-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Another quality outing. I think he can have a huge year in the San Francisco rotation.

Marqhead
04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Funny you posted this because I was just thinking about his situation. His contract is one of the worst in baseball but I've always been a fan since his days in Oakland and hoped he'd get back to his ace status.

He's been a lot better for the Giants and if he can put together a solid season he adds to what is already one of the best rotations in the MLB.

TDog
04-25-2010, 02:33 AM
I saw most of the game on television tonight. "Quality outing" understates Zito's effort tonight -- eight shutout innings against the Cardinals in a 2-0 win. Coming into the game, he had three quality starts and an ERA of 1.86. And he has given up no unearned runs at all this season. This is his second start where he has not given up any runs.

Coming into the season, the experts in San Francisco were saying they didn't expect much from him because he had lost both the velocity and command he had in Oakland, but in April, at least, he is pitching like people expected him to when he signed his obscene contract.

One difference is that he doesn't have to be the staff ace anymore. Lincecum and Cain are the two top starters. Sanchez is very good too, and he looks like he is getting better.

The only problem with the Giants staff is Todd Wellemeyer as the fifth starter, the prospect who seemed destined for that role seemingly having regressed.

Zito is pitching better than most Sox fans expected Jake Peavy this year. Really, he is pitching better than any of the Sox starters, and he isn't off to the best start in the Giants rotation. Lincecum is 4-0 with an ERA of 1.00.

doublem23
04-25-2010, 04:24 AM
I think the money went to his head after he signed that crazy deal with the Giants and messed him up for a while. Obviously, I don't get to see too many Giants games out here in Chicago, but it looks like he's found that big curve again. If so, in that ballpark, he is dangerous.

Tragg
04-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Zito has to be pinpoint and hit the corners; he was last night and the ball/strike officiating was pitcher friendly. He struck Pujols out on a beautiful cut fastball right at the knees for a cts, but which was also 6 inches inside.