PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rios apology thread

mzh
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes, it's early, but still. I have to commend Rios for being such a class act amid all the **** he's taken for 8 months about his ****fest last season. He came into 2010 ready to play, and so far he's been tearing the cover off the ball, and (obviously) won a few games for us. So, Alex, I apologize for all the crap that people have said about you, your desire to win, yada yada. If he's hitting .220 on June 15th, I'll take this back. But right now I think we owe him one.

Rohan
04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
One of the most non-celebratory, humble walk off home runs i've ever seen.

veeter
04-24-2010, 07:56 PM
The guy's all business.

Jurr
04-24-2010, 08:37 PM
The guy's all business.

..and as long as his business is doing THAT, we'll take it all damn day. :bandance:

BradSox77
04-24-2010, 09:07 PM
He shortened his swing and looks really confident at the plate, agreed with Rohan that he's showing alot of humbleness which this team needs. Keep it up Alex!

GlassSox
04-24-2010, 09:14 PM
He was my pick to click and I was screaming walk off when indeed it happened. That made the cold afternoon in the ball park all worthwhile.

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I never doubted that he'd bounce back, not once. :tongue:

I am so glad to have a legitimate five-tool center fielder, who can and does use all five tools.

He needs to join Jones near the top of the order.

KMcMahon817
04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I was never in the "Alex Rios sucks" category, because I knew he didn't. But, this guy is a ballplayer. He may be a mental midget, fine, run him out there in center everyday and I think you'll see good production from him for the rest of his time with Sox.

soltrain21
04-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I always knew he'd bounce back.

Jones, on the other hand...I did not expect this.

konerko 14
04-24-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt9hRCthV8E&feature=fvw

this is so funny

soltrain21
04-24-2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt9hRCthV8E&feature=fvw

this is so funny

We have never seen that before. Thank you for that new and exciting video.

WSox597
04-24-2010, 10:07 PM
I always knew he'd bounce back.

Jones, on the other hand...I did not expect this.

Agreed. I expected Alex Rios to be pretty good. I did not expect Andruw Jones to be this good.

Congrats to both players, and I hope they continue to have success. I always liked both players before they came to the Sox. Jones had some stellar years in Atlanta, and I hoped it wasn't all gone.

They will be a huge part of any success the White Sox have this season.

Frontman
04-24-2010, 10:17 PM
He certainly has stepped up; as well as Jones. Konerko has been good, and Teahan is good at the plate, fingers crossed on the field.

We need a few more wins like today to gain some confidence in this club; but I totally have a new found respect for Rios. He hasn't fired off on the critics once; and in this day and age, is quite refreshing for an athlete.

Nellie_Fox
04-25-2010, 01:12 AM
He shortened his swing and looks really confident at the plate...In spite of Greg Walker.

MARTINMVP
04-25-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm relieved that he has stepped up and is doing well - I did have my doubts, and was especially hard on him last year. Unfortunately, whatever he had last year, he gave to the rest of the offense.

voodoochile
04-25-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm relieved that he has stepped up and is doing well - I did have my doubts, and was especially hard on him last year. Unfortunately, whatever he had last year, he gave to the rest of the offense.

Hopefully he infects them all again...:D:

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-25-2010, 02:26 AM
I am proud to admit that I have never talked bad about Rios. :gulp:

Sockinchisox
04-25-2010, 04:41 AM
We are talking about the guy who's batting .250, with two home runs (one a garbage-time homer on opening day) and 11 strikeouts in 60 at bats, right?

I know .250 looks good on this team, but come on people... can we at least wait until he's proven he's worth the money before we start the circle jerk?

Were you completely oblivious to yesterday's game?

We're talking about the guy who's hitting .281 with 3 HRs (his latest a walk-off 2 run shot) and a .849 OPS.

pudge
04-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Were you completely oblivious to yesterday's game?

We're talking about the guy who's hitting .281 with 3 HRs (his latest a walk-off 2 run shot) and a .849 OPS.

I thought websites were supposed to update instantaneously these days! Seven hours after the game and the two sites I visited (major sites) didn't have updated stats? Geesh... I'm still holding my praise... waiting until the walk-off hangover wears off...

flo-B-flo
04-25-2010, 09:32 AM
always was a good player. For whatever reason he stunk after joined the Sox. Jones was the wild card. I felt o k with him when I saw him in spring training. He looked in shape and hungry meaning baseball hungry........

NLaloosh
04-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Rios has always been a good player. Every year except last year. I was surprised so many people have up on the guy after one down season.

He's just playing like he usually does. We should definitely expect this to continue.

That's how he earned the big contract but I think that's what bugged people because he had a contract from a time when FA dollars were flowing and he wouldn't have received that today.

He may not be a bargain for the money but he's a damn good player to have on your team.

kravdog
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I thought websites were supposed to update instantaneously these days! Seven hours after the game and the two sites I visited (major sites) didn't have updated stats? Geesh... I'm still holding my praise... waiting until the walk-off hangover wears off...

Go ahead to hold your praise, while the rest of us enjoy watching a legit center fielder who has been hitting ropes all season long... Avg isn't everything a few weeks into the season.

kufram
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM
My message is less an apology, because I was never down on him, and more a welcome. I'm glad and relieved that centerfield is now covered by a top man. With Andruw Jones we even have a great backup for at least this year and I hope for one more if he keeps doing what he is doing.

This is the first time since Rowand was traded that CF is a lock.

HomeFish
04-25-2010, 11:47 AM
This is the first time since Rowand was traded that CF is a lock.

The biggest honor that Norway can give somebody is the Nobel Peace Prize.
The biggest honor that the UK can give somebody is a knighthood.
The biggest honor that the USA can give somebody is the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

The biggest honor that WSI can give somebody is comparing them to Aaron Rowand.

lizard6king6
04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Never had doubts, great player with good speed power potential and a great fielder. I told everyone at the beginning of the year he'll be ok and do fine. Its still early however. This latest walkoff does feel good. I drafted him in all 3 of my fantasy leagues late because no one wanted to draft him except for me :)

TheCommander
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
The biggest honor that the USA can give somebody is the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

:rolling: Sad but true....and hilarious!

palehozenychicty
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
The guy always had the tools, but some did question his love of the game. He's played well this year. Maybe he can help Q and Beckham out.

ChiTownTrojan
04-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I think it's safe to say the two best CFs to be on the Sox in the past 5 or so years are on this team.

Jim Shorts
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there

Daver
04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I think it's safe to say the two best CFs to be on the Sox in the past 5 or so years are on this team.

That would depend on your criteria for the position, suffice it to say I don't agree with that statement.

It is nice not having a displaced left fielder playing center though.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 01:00 AM
I've always been a Rios guy. Last year was a throw away.

guillen4life13
04-26-2010, 01:24 AM
That would depend on your criteria for the position, suffice it to say I don't agree with that statement.

:anderson:

HomeFish: You are so wrong. The greatest honor is to be compared to Brian Anderson, since, of course, Brian Anderson was an upgrade over Aaron Rowand.

Lillian
04-26-2010, 07:18 AM

I'm just curious. Whom do you think the Sox have had, at any time in the last several years, better than either Jones or Rios? I assume you're thinking of B. A. But really, he was so bad offensively, that I wouldn't count him.
Finding a pure defensive player is not that difficult.

In Rios and Jones, the Sox have two terrific defensive, as well as offensive outfielders. Now that is really unusual for them, wouldn't you agree?
When is the last time the Sox had an outfield that could hit and play solid defense?
In fact, I just went to the Almanac:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1962&t=CHA

I don't think that we have had a better defensive outfield in my lifetime. The closest runner up would be the 62 team with Ken Berry, Jim Landis and Mike Hershberger, and I don't think they actually all played at the same time. Moreever, offensively they weren't even in the same league. Having arguably 3 centerfielders in a Sox outfield is a very pleasant change from recent seasons when they've asked a guy to play centerfield, out of position.

spawn
04-26-2010, 07:59 AM

This is POTW material right here. Well done! :thumbsup:

TheOldRoman
04-26-2010, 09:53 AM
In spite of Greg Walker.Actually, Walker admitted that he had nothing to do with it. He said Alex took a couple months off from any baseball activity just to clear his mind. When he started swinging again he was back to the good Alex. Walker saw him take his first swings of the offseason and after the first swing he "knew the old Alex was back."

soxfanreggie
04-26-2010, 09:57 AM
He shortened his swing and looks really confident at the plate, agreed with Rohan that he's showing alot of humbleness which this team needs. Keep it up Alex!

He has greatly improved his swing by shortening it and fixing his hands. Watch out AL, it's a "new" Alex!

hi im skot
04-26-2010, 10:44 AM
I was at Saturday's game and DVR'd it on a whim. I've watched Rios' at bat at least 20 times since Saturday night.

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Actually, Walker admitted that he had nothing to do with it. He said Alex took a couple months off from any baseball activity just to clear his mind. When he started swinging again he was back to the good Alex. Walker saw him take his first swings of the offseason and after the first swing he "knew the old Alex was back."But I've been assured that Walker screws hitters up.

TheOldRoman
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
But I've been assured that Walker screws hitters up.There is still time.:tongue:

pudge
04-27-2010, 02:21 AM
I

I don't think that we have had a better defensive outfield in my lifetime. The closest runner up would be the 62 team with Ken Berry, Jim Landis and Mike Hershberger, and I don't think they actually all played at the same time. Moreever, offensively they weren't even in the same league. Having arguably 3 centerfielders in a Sox outfield is a very pleasant change from recent seasons when they've asked a guy to play centerfield, out of position.

Is Jones a permanent outfielder now? If not, I don't know how we can claim this is the best defensive outfield ever. Not to mention, Pierre's arm is quite simply a liability - did you see freakin' Casey Kotchman turn a single into a double? Teams are going to challenge that arm all year.

2005 really was not shabby - Rowand had a huge year, Dye was once upon a time a great fielder with a great arm, and Pods was in LF. If anything, I don't see how this year is any better than that year, but I'm not complaining.

ilsox7
04-27-2010, 02:40 AM
Is Jones a permanent outfielder now? If not, I don't know how we can claim this is the best defensive outfield ever. Not to mention, Pierre's arm is quite simply a liability - did you see freakin' Casey Kotchman turn a single into a double? Teams are going to challenge that arm all year.

2005 really was not shabby - Rowand had a huge year, Dye was once upon a time a great fielder with a great arm, and Pods was in LF. If anything, I don't see how this year is any better than that year, but I'm not complaining.

Pods was/is a disaster in the outfield. Much, much, much, worse than Pierre. And Rowand could not touch Rios with a ten foot pole.

asindc
04-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Pods was/is a disaster in the outfield. Much, much, much, worse than Pierre. And Rowand could not touch Rios with a ten foot pole.

This.

As for Rios' HR on Saturday, I really like the way he confidently crushed the pitch, as if he knew if the pitch came anywhere near his wheelhouse, he would do so. As for apologizing, I owe him none because I was never one of his detractors. A slump does not automatically turn a good player into a bad one.

As for defensive OF, comparing 2005 to 2010:

Pierre>>Pods. Pods does nothing well in the OF, while Pierre has at least good range and good routes to the ball. No way does Pods make that play that Pierre did against the Twinkees.

Rios>>Rowand. Roward was an above-average OF who maxed his abilities, but even at his best he was not as good as Rios is on a regular basis.

Dye=TCQ. Quentin is an average OF, no more, no less. While Dye had a better arm in 2005, he had already lost a great deal of range by then.

JC456
04-27-2010, 11:42 AM
:anderson:

HomeFish: You are so wrong. The greatest honor is to be compared to Brian Anderson, since, of course, Brian Anderson was an upgrade over Aaron Rowand.
Ahh, but who got the money?

Milkman43
04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I can't remember ever being more happy for a player then when Rios hit that walk-off homer. The last time was probably in 2006 when Ross Gload hit that opposite field grand slam in Baltimore to win the game in the 9th.

pythons007
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm one that doesn't need to apologize, I liked it when he was picked up last year and I'm glad he's on the team this year.

.280 25 homers and 30sbs...he should be batting in the 3 hole.

Lillian
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Yes, I have consistently argued that Jones should be in either CF or RF.
He and Rios are the two best defensive outfielders on this team, and I don't see how anyone could challenge that assertion.

With an outfield of Jones, Rios and either Pierre, or Quentin I still believe that it's the best defensive White Sox outfield in 40 years.
Not many would agree with your assessment of the 2005 outfield defense. Can you sight any other Sox team that would compare defensively?

Moreover, and equally important is the fact that they are not only a good defensive outfield, but they have solid offensive credentials.

After suffering through many years of below average defensive, or offensive Sox outfields, I for one am very pleased with this outfield.
Do you disagree?

pudge
04-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Yes, I have consistently argued that Jones should be in either CF or RF.
He and Rios are the two best defensive outfielders on this team, and I don't see how anyone could challenge that assertion.

With an outfield of Jones, Rios and either Pierre, or Quentin I still believe that it's the best defensive White Sox outfield in 40 years.
Not many would agree with your assessment of the 2005 outfield defense. Can you sight any other Sox team that would compare defensively?

Moreover, and equally important is the fact that they are not only a good defensive outfield, but they have solid offensive credentials.

After suffering through many years of below average defensive, or offensive Sox outfields, I for one am very pleased with this outfield.
Do you disagree?

But again, is the outfield you are quoting above really our outfield? I have not seen that Jones is locked in or that Pierre and Q are rotating. I don't share the excitement over Pierre defensively. And this was before costing a game tonight by not being able to make a play of moderate difficulty. If we truly have a great outfield, we are still tied 2-2 and playing into extra innings right now.

I'm not saying the 2005 outfield was amazing, but I don't see it being all that different from this year's. Again, if you're saying Jones is out there every day and playing like a Gold Glover, maybe that changes the discussion. I don't know if those days are really behind him at 33. Jermaine Dye was a gold glover too at one point in his career.

I don't remember many other defensive outfields myself - how was Raines, One Dog and Ellis Burks or Darrin Jackson in the early '90s?

Lillian
04-28-2010, 07:43 AM
But again, is the outfield you are quoting above really our outfield? I have not seen that Jones is locked in or that Pierre and Q are rotating. I don't share the excitement over Pierre defensively. And this was before costing a game tonight by not being able to make a play of moderate difficulty. If we truly have a great outfield, we are still tied 2-2 and playing into extra innings right now.

I'm not saying the 2005 outfield was amazing, but I don't see it being all that different from this year's. Again, if you're saying Jones is out there every day and playing like a Gold Glover, maybe that changes the discussion. I don't know if those days are really behind him at 33. Jermaine Dye was a gold glover too at one point in his career.

I don't remember many other defensive outfields myself - how was Raines, One Dog and Ellis Burks or Darrin Jackson in the early '90s?

Raines was an average left fielder, especially as late in his career as he was when he joined the Sox.
Lance Johnson had good range, but now arm, and he was the Centerfielder. He was similar to Pierre, and Pierre should never have to play center on this team.
Ellis Burks only played one year for the Sox and was recovering from a serious back injury. He was not that good the year he played for them, and was not an outstanding defensive center fielder.
Darrin Jackson was a solid right fielder, but just an average center fielder, and provided very little offense.

You can look over the Sox rosters going back many years, and you will not find a better defensive outfield, especially one that could also provide good offense.

pudge
04-29-2010, 03:09 AM
You can look over the Sox rosters going back many years, and you will not find a better defensive outfield, especially one that could also provide good offense.

I just respectfully disagree. Again, I don't see much difference at all with 2005. And if you're going to pick on Raines and Burks for being old and injured, why not picking on Jones and Quentin? Jones is clearly not healthy enough to play OF every day, hence this is not a great outfield defense.