PDA

View Full Version : Gene Honda

bridgeportcopper
04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Gene doing White Sox p.a. work before Blackhawks?? I know the Hawks are now the city's flavor of the month, but I would think Gene's contract would be primary employer (81 home games vs 40 and where he first worked) over secondary work. Now I understand its a playoff game for the Blackhawks but regardless, we already usually lose him for a couple games during the NCAA Final 4 each year. I, for one, really appreciate Gene's voice and his VOR (value over replacement for you non-sabrematicians) is huge, be his replacement Tom Shaer or whomever. I still remember the ring day game in '06 with Shaer introducing "Paulie" Konerko with his voice like nails on a chalkboard exuding unprofessionalism. Just something I noticed while hearing Gene during the couple seconds of NHL action (yuck) I watched while waiting for Tim McCarver (double-yuck).

nug0hs
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I hear ya, Bridgeport.

On the other hand, his VOR is equally as high at the United Center where backup Harvey Whittenberg just doesn't have it all together anymore. Similarly, there are still 5 months to go in the Sox season and Gene will have plenty of time there, whereas this is a crucial stretch for the Hawks, their front office, administrative staff, etc. I'm sure he ran this past JR and the Sox office and (since we all know they are a first class organization) had no problem letting him work @ the UC for the next few weeks.

That being said, I hope he misses a lot more Sox games until June when we bring the Cup home :)

HomeFish
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not a hockey fan at all, but the NHL playoffs are bigger and more important than our ****ty baseball team playing April games.

I dread the fact that Gene Honda is mortal. One day, Sox games will be a lot less enjoyable.

bridgeportcopper
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I dread the fact that Gene Honda is mortal. One day, Sox games will be a lot less enjoyable.

Or is he.......

Marqhead
04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Or is he.......

Gene Honda can never die, only the actors who portray him!

DSpivack
04-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Looks like he won't be having conflicts for much longer.

JimmyJoe
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Looks like he won't be having conflicts for much longer.

Oh ye of little faith...........Hawks just tied the game up.

DSpivack
04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh ye of little faith...........Hawks just tied the game up.

Maybe I should jinx them for OT, too.

whitesoxfan
04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
A hockey playoff game, or a mid-April baseball game? Hmm, I wonder.

dickallen15
04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
We run into Gene a lot after games he usually hanging by the 35th entrance smoking like a chimney. He's really a nice guy. We try to get him to say our names but he won't do it. Eventually he'll cave.

kevingrt
04-24-2010, 06:00 PM
A hockey playoff game, or a mid-April baseball game? Hmm, I wonder.

Tough question.

Not.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I missed hearing him today. I, too, dread the fact that he is mortal.

LoveYourSuit
04-24-2010, 11:11 PM
We run into Gene a lot after games he usually hanging by the 35th entrance smoking like a chimney. He's really a nice guy. We try to get him to say our names but he won't do it. Eventually he'll cave.

:?: That's pretty awkward if you ask me.

You guys think he's Ronnie Woo Woo or something :scratch:

doublem23
04-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Tough question.

Not.

Glad you think the answer is obviously baseball, too. Everyone knows the hockey play-offs don't matter until June.

:cool:

bridgeportcopper
04-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Glad you think the answer is obviously baseball, too. Everyone knows the hockey play-offs don't matter until June.

:cool:

I'm guessing the April baseball game did a better TV rating than the playoff game of "the new Hockeytown's" all-time favorite team. To quote Mike North, "I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'"

Juice16
04-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm guessing the April baseball game did a better TV rating than the playoff game of "the new Hockeytown's" all-time favorite team. To quote Mike North, "I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'"

There are a a lot of people on this board and in this city that don't consider the Hawks the "flavor of the month". Gene Honda is obviously working the games with more preeminence, just as he has done the final four.

ewokpelts
04-26-2010, 08:21 AM
i doubt the hawks are pissed when gene has to go off and work sox playoff games.

bridgeportcopper
04-26-2010, 09:08 AM
i doubt the hawks are pissed when gene has to go off and work sox playoff games.

Well, nor should they be. My point was, wasn't he working for the Sox first?
I know in my profession, many guys work sidejobs, but you don't take a day off from your main one to work a sidejob. Unless of course your sidejob becomes your main source of income (my example of that would be like Steve Wilkos who obviously was making more off his Springer gig than the CPD, hence we don't see him on the street anymore). I doubt the Hawks pay him any more than the Sox do. And you guys are all trivializing the Sox game like its nothing, it is still Major League Baseball, and there were more fans at that little MLB game than there were at the all important epic 1st round showdown between Chicago's all-time favorite team and the traditional NHL powerhouse Nashville Predators. My point is I'm a big fan of Gene's voicework and missed hearing it Saturday, just like I'll miss the sound of Nancy's organ music when she is not there.

SoxFan89
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I know in my profession, many guys work sidejobs, but you don't take a day off from your main one to work a sidejob. Unless of course your sidejob becomes your main source of income (my example of that would be like Steve Wilkos who obviously was making more off his Springer gig than the CPD, hence we don't see him on the street anymore). I doubt the Hawks pay him any more than the Sox do. And you guys are all trivializing the Sox game like its nothing, it is still Major League Baseball, and there were more fans at that little MLB game than there were at the all important epic 1st round showdown between Chicago's all-time favorite team and the traditional NHL powerhouse Nashville Predators.

:rolleyes:

Please tell me you're kidding?

I'm sure the Sox and Hawks have a professional understanding when it comes to the situation with Gene Honda. It's not like Honda is choosing to work for the Blackhawks over the Sox, and I'm sure both teams have reached an agreement as to how the overlap will be handle and I'm sure that's what's happening. And there's a major difference between an April baseball game and a Hockey playoff game, and even someone who doesn't like Hockey can appreciate that.

And the reason the attendance was higher at the Sox game than at the Hawks game (and wasn't by much) is because the Cell holds more people than the United Center. :wink:

hi im skot
04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
You don't have to be a Hawks fan to recognize that a Stanley Cup playoff game trumps an early season MLB game.

The real problem is the guy who fills in for Gene when he's off; dude is absolutely brutal.

ilsox7
04-26-2010, 12:03 PM

You guessed wrong.

SephClone89
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
You guessed wrong.

Unfair comparison. National audience vs very limited regional audience.

ilsox7
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Unfair comparison. National audience vs very limited regional audience.

The Hawks game was the highest rated thing on television in all of Chicago this weekend. People really want to believe that in the grand scheme of things, an April baseball game for a team playing like **** right now is more important than a pivotal playoff hockey game? Come join reality folks. It's much nicer over here.

Cat Thief
04-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else here met Gene Honda and thought what an ******* he is.

:scratch:

ilsox7
04-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else here met Gene Honda and thought what an ******* he is.

:scratch:

I met Gene last year at a bar on his birthday. Talked for a bit with him and he was as nice as can be.

mcfish
04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
The Hawks game was the highest rated thing on television in all of Chicago this weekend. People really want to believe that in the grand scheme of things, an April baseball game for a team playing like **** right now is more important than a pivotal playoff hockey game? Come join reality folks. It's much nicer over here.Thanks. I wanted so badly to refute the original statement, but I didn't actually know the numbers so I couldn't be sure. Seemed absolutely crazy to me.

patbooyah
04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Locally, the Blackhawks game blew the White Sox out of the water in terms of ratings on Saturday. It may have even beaten all three Sox games added together.

When the hockey season starts in the fall and the White Sox are in the playoffs/pennant chase, Gene will be at US Cellular. The teams are partners.

I agree, though, it's always preferred to hear Gene's voice instead of an "impostor" at Sox Park.

SephClone89
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Come join reality folks. It's much nicer over here.

Maybe it's nicer to you...but a reality where we don't give a damn about the NFL draft or hockey, and where baseball is king...sounds pretty damn nice to me.:D:

Warriorjan
04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't give two hoots about the NFL draft, and while I'm happy about the Hawks hockey hasn't been on my radar for many years. Even so, Gene belongs at the playoff game, and I can't believe anyone is really complaining that he was at the United Center for it instead of being at Sox Park for an April game.

whitesoxfan
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Maybe it's nicer to you...but a reality where we don't give a damn about the NFL draft or hockey, and where baseball is king...sounds pretty damn nice to me.:D:

Hmm I'll take my Blackhawks hockey, thank you very much.

Gene Honda is the best PA announcer on the planet, so anybody that replaces him is going to be a downgrade. But there's no question that the Sox need to find a new guy to be Honda's replacement when he's out. That guy right now is one of the worst PA announcers I've heard.

ewokpelts
04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I know in my profession, many guys work sidejobs, but you don't take a day off from your main one to work a sidejob. Unless of course your sidejob becomes your main source of income (my example of that would be like Steve Wilkos who obviously was making more off his Springer gig than the CPD, hence we don't see him on the street anymore). I doubt the Hawks pay him any more than the Sox do. And you guys are all trivializing the Sox game like its nothing, it is still Major League Baseball, and there were more fans at that little MLB game than there were at the all important epic 1st round showdown between Chicago's all-time favorite team and the traditional NHL powerhouse Nashville Predators. My point is I'm a big fan of Gene's voicework and missed hearing it Saturday, just like I'll miss the sound of Nancy's organ music when she is not there.
He's a contract worker. And I imagine his contract allows him to work hawks games or wttw pledge drives as needed.

Oh, I also forgot. the Sox and hawks have a marketing partnership, with the hawks paying for advertising at sox games and an event for hawks STHs at a sox game. so the sox should have no problem accepting the hawks(and thier ticketholders) money, but not be cool with gene honda working a hawks PLAYOFF game?

ewokpelts
04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Unfair comparison. National audience vs very limited regional audience.both were national games. and i bet the bulls still had better ratings on sunday.

SephClone89
04-26-2010, 02:36 PM
both were national games. and i bet the bulls still had better ratings on sunday.

The Sox game on FOX was a regional audience. Most of the country saw Yankees/Angels.

bridgeportcopper
04-26-2010, 02:40 PM
both were national games. and i bet the bulls still had better ratings on sunday.

Sox were not national, as a matter of fact Yankees-Angels went to much more of the country. And as for the Sox-Blackhawks relationship, I've noticed the "Here comes the Hawks" song and the shootout they have between innings, and the foghorn that's been going off when the Hawks score, BUT, I haven't gone to a Hawks game in years (as a matter of fact I have turned down tix many times, as recently as Saturday) so I don't know this for sure, but do they do anything close for the Sox? I consider John McDonough a wolf in sheep's clothing taking advantage of what he can from what the Sox have to offer, but don't forget where he came from.....AND......despite the partnership that was in place he took his Winter Classic which would have worked just as well at The Cell (minus the dead ivy of course) and took it to The Urinal. Now I know there are MANY great Hawks fans ( i really respect the 9,000-10,000 who showed up through thick and thin) and have many that are friends, just don't like the Cubby thing that franchise has going these days ever since McDonough took over. Started seeing the "W" flags with Hawk feathers, and that stupid Fratellis song that no one could possibly like after the burnout from those beer commercials, and they have become just like the Cubs the team that what I call the "Eric & Kathy crowd" are all about these days. Go Hawks, there is no other hockey team I would cheer for, and i hope for my friends that are true Hawk fans that they win the whole thing. I just don't dig hockey. Most importantly GO SOX! And give us back our Gene Honda! (Oh yeah, and i met him once at Connie's Pizza and he did do my name in his trademark announcing voice for me.)

hi im skot
04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Sox were not national, as a matter of fact Yankees-Angels went to much more of the country. And as for the Sox-Blackhawks relationship, I've noticed the "Here comes the Hawks" song and the shootout they have between innings, and the foghorn that's been going off when the Hawks score, BUT, I haven't gone to a Hawks game in years (as a matter of fact I have turned down tix many times, as recently as Saturday) so I don't know this for sure, but do they do anything close for the Sox? I consider John McDonough a wolf in sheep's clothing taking advantage of what he can from what the Sox have to offer, but don't forget where he came from.....AND......despite the partnership that was in place he took his Winter Classic which would have worked just as well at The Cell (minus the dead ivy of course) and took it to The Urinal. Now I know there are MANY great Hawks fans ( i really respect the 9,000-10,000 who showed up through thick and thin) and have many that are friends, just don't like the Cubby thing that franchise has going these days ever since McDonough took over. Started seeing the "W" flags with Hawk feathers, and that stupid Fratellis song that no one could possibly like after the burnout from those beer commercials, and they have become just like the Cubs the team that what I call the "Eric & Kathy crowd" are all about these days. Go Hawks, there is no other hockey team I would cheer for, and i hope for my friends that are true Hawk fans that they win the whole thing. I just don't dig hockey. Most importantly GO SOX! And give us back our Gene Honda! (Oh yeah, and i met him once at Connie's Pizza and he did do my name in his trademark announcing voice for me.)

http://www.multiform.com/images/key_enter_1-opt.jpg

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-26-2010, 04:00 PM

Yes! Finally someone says the truth! I hate that the Sox have a "relationship" with the Hawks and it is known yet the Cubs seem like they have their share too with the thing you said.

ewokpelts
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes! Finally someone says the truth! I hate that the Sox have a "relationship" with the Hawks and it is known yet the Cubs seem like they have their share too with the thing you said.cubs have the same deal

ilsox7
04-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes! Finally someone says the truth! I hate that the Sox have a "relationship" with the Hawks and it is known yet the Cubs seem like they have their share too with the thing you said.

God forbid Chicago sports teams, who have similar target audiences, work together to improve their businesses. The horror of it all!

kittle42
04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
God forbid Chicago sports teams, who have similar target audiences, work together to improve their businesses. The horror of it all!

Indeed. This thread is ridiculous. More of that "Sox fan whining" Cubs fans love to claim we do.

BadBobbyJenks
04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Why does this man go to the final four instead of the White Sox first week?:angry:

Playoffs > games in the first month of the season. What else needs to be said here?

ozzman
04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about Gene.

My buddy met him once and said, "hey! Gene Honda!"

Gene looks around and goes, "Where?! That guy owes me money"

TornLabrum
04-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about Gene.

My buddy met him once and said, "hey! Gene Honda!"

Gene looks around and goes, "Where?! That guy owes me money"

When the Windy City Sox Fans first organized in 1995, the first interview for our newsletter was Gene Honda. He spent an hour or so with me in the Redwood, and he picked up the tab. He's introduced me to people in the Sox organization and always says hi when I see him at the ballpark. He and Nancy Faust are two of the nicest people I know.

patbooyah
04-27-2010, 12:04 AM

this is wrong and hilarious. last year when the Blackhawks had the shootout between innings it was because they PAID to be a sponsor. this year there is a zamboni race, because the Blackhawks PAY to be a sponsor.

the Blackhawks have never sold those W flags. they are fan-made.

also, since you haven't been to a hawks game, i'll tell you that people seem to enjoy hearing that fratelli's song quite a lot.

HomeFish
04-27-2010, 02:18 AM
This is incredibly dense. If the Sox were getting ripped off on the deal with the Blackhawks do you think they would have signed the dotted line?

jdm2662
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Seriously. There are other Chicago sports teams that have Cub fans in the fanbase. Maybe I should stop rooting for them now! Damn those Cub fans!