PDA

View Full Version : Teixeira collides with Bobby Wilson

JermaineDye05
04-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7620275&c_id=mlb)

Reminiscent of Torii and Burke.

Teixeira had tons of room to slide. I guess Mark got hit prior to this so maybe a little bit of pay-back for him, I guess.

This stills seems a bit bush league, though.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Definitely looks like he collided with him on purpose. He had plenty of room.

Is Wilson okay? Were warnings issued?

JermaineDye05
04-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Definitely looks like he collided with him on purpose. He had plenty of room.

Is Wilson okay? Were warnings issued?

Link (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100423&content_id=9530650&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana)

They're saying an ankle injury and a concussion. Not sure if there were warnings.

october23sp
04-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Teixeira is a bitch. :angry: That is pathetic.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7620275&c_id=mlb)

Reminiscent of Torii and Burke.

Teixeira had tons of room to slide. I guess Mark got hit prior to this so maybe a little bit of pay-back for him, I guess.

This stills seems a bit bush league, though.

I was at that game and I remember the play but I don't really remember the specifics of it, but wasn't Burke pretty much blocking the plate? Didn't Torii have few recourses (other than getting tagged out?). I remember Ozzie said it was a clean play. This one seems decidedly less clean.

JermaineDye05
04-24-2010, 01:31 AM
I was at that game and I remember the play but I don't really remember the specifics of it, but wasn't Burke pretty much blocking the plate? Didn't Torii have few recourses (other than getting tagged out?). I remember Ozzie said it was a clean play. This one seems decidedly less clean.

I've only seen the play once, I believe. From what I remember, Burke didn't have the ball and he was in front of homeplate. I believe the argument was that Torii took an extra step outside the line or something to hit Burke.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2010, 01:39 AM

I've only seen the play once, I believe. From what I remember, Burke didn't have the ball and he was in front of homeplate. I believe the argument was that Torii took an extra step outside the line or something to hit Burke.Absolutely. Burke was not blocking the plate; the whole plate was open. Burke did not yet have the ball. It was a cheap shot. Hunter zigged to his left in order to hit Burke. I wish I could find a video to link.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Absolutely. Burke was not blocking the plate; the whole plate was open. Burke did not yet have the ball. It was a cheap shot. Hunter zigged to his left in order to hit Burke. I wish I could find a video to link.

Ok, I'll take your word for it.

Konerko05
04-24-2010, 05:17 AM
I can't stand Texeira. He's such a douchebag. The Yankees just have so many people I just don't like as people. Yes, I realize I dont know them, but I do see alot of them. I'm judgement, but I'm usually right.

Swisher and Texeira are just the epitome of douchebag.

Arod is just a spoiled brat with the emotionaly strength of a adolescent.

Posada is just a prick.

CC is ok I guess, but his he still annoys me.

I really like Jeter though. Never used to until I saw Arod play the game next to him. Yes, I realize he's one of the greatest players ever. I'm still a slight purist at heart and there's just a huge difference in the way the play the game/go about their business. Jeter is like the new Cal Ripken. I'd also go as far to say Buehrle can be talked about in the same category.

I know I'm forgetting someone else I can't stand.

doublem23
04-24-2010, 06:37 AM
I know I'm forgetting someone else I can't stand.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39089000/jpg/_39089422_petitte203.jpg
Are you referring to me and all my hypodermic friends?

http://someloosethoughts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/joba-chamberlain-new.jpg
No, he's got to be talking about me and my little antics on the mount.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/baseball/mlb/12/02/braves.whitesox.trade/javier-vazquez.jpg
Guys, he's a Sox fan, of course he's talking about me. I suck.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-24-2010, 07:01 AM
^^^ nice doublem :lol:

Wow was that an ass move. Has he always been this kind of player? I haven't really payed much attention, but he was out to hurt someone.... that was far from an honest play. I feel bad for Wilson. It seemed like he was just trying his best to get something done, and all of a sudden some big animal just slammed with all possible force right into his face. I hope hes ok.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Posada is just a prick.

I know he had that episode last year in which he attacked an opposing player at home plate, but how exactly does this apply to Posada?

Over By There
04-24-2010, 08:15 AM
I have no love for Teixeira and certainly not for the Yankees, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as the Hunter/Burke incident. If you watch the closeup replay later in the clip, the ball was there on time and Wilson starts to move his body back over the plate at the very end, even though the ball took a bad hop and he didn't catch it. Again, I hate to defend Teixeira, but I think he had to make a quick decision and reasonably could have believed the ball was going to be there, making the collision was the only way to score. On the other hand, it appears Teixeira makes the decision not to slide before Wilson starts to move back over the plate. Either way... he still could have (and should have) slid, but I just don't think this is as awful as some make it sound.

dickallen15
04-24-2010, 08:29 AM
I have no love for Teixeira and certainly not for the Yankees, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as the Hunter/Burke incident. If you watch the closeup replay later in the clip, the ball was there on time and Wilson starts to move his body back over the plate at the very end, even though the ball took a bad hop and he didn't catch it. Again, I hate to defend Teixeira, but I think he had to make a quick decision and reasonably could have believed the ball was going to be there, making the collision was the only way to score. On the other hand, it appears Teixeira makes the decision not to slide before Wilson starts to move back over the plate. Either way... he still could have (and should have) slid, but I just don't think this is as awful as some make it sound.

I agree. If he was able to field the ball cleanly and hold onto after the collision, Texiera would have been out. I think when you're running down the line you have it in your mind there is going to be a close play and if it is are you going to try a fancy slide and lose some speed or just barell in? At least his contact was over homeplate, unlike Hunter who went out of his way to nail Burke, and surprisingly Ozzie endorsed Hunter's move.

SaltyPretzel
04-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I hate Teixeira, but I have no problem with the play.

bunty_doghunter
04-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I would have been fine with it if he had tried to step on the plate first. He passed that up to hit Wilson, when the plate was open to him.

Chicago5oooh
04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Bush league bull**** move. I hope he gets drilled for that and hard.

JohnTucker0814
04-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Honestly, there is no reason he shouldn't be suspended for this play. He intentionally tried to hurt another player. The catcher was on the first base side of the plate and the entire home plate was available for Teixeira to make a normal slide to be safe. If a pitcher gets suspended for throwing at a hitter, then a hitter should be suspended for this. He should ge ta 5 game suspension IMO.

California Sox
04-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Honestly, there is no reason he shouldn't be suspended for this play. He intentionally tried to hurt another player. The catcher was on the first base side of the plate and the entire home plate was available for Teixeira to make a normal slide to be safe. If a pitcher gets suspended for throwing at a hitter, then a hitter should be suspended for this. He should ge ta 5 game suspension IMO.

Absolutely. You can see the intent in the way he avoided touching home and just drilled the guy. Those are Yankee announcers speculating that he was mad about getting hit. They clearly didn't think that was a clean play. Man, what a jerk.

twinslayer
04-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Seemed like a douchebag move. It actually pissed me off. I'm usually all game when aggressiveness gets into a non-violent game, but this was way unnecessary. I don't care what happened to him prior to that, don't take it out on another player. *******.

Taliesinrk
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
I think this is completely different than the Hunter-Burke collision (and ironically, it's Torii freaking Hunter of all people that are questioning the hit in the media... I'd think he'd stay out of this one). People here say Hunter's collision was dirty, and while I think it was borderline, there is, IMO, a huge difference between the plays.

In the Hunter-Burke collision, Burke was up the 3rd-base line. Granted, he was about a step off the line, but I remember thinking that if I'm Hunter coming full steam and the catcher is up the line, I don't necessarily have time to look to see if the ball's coming or not. Bottom line in that case was that (IMO), b/c Hunter can't see the ball coming, it would have taken no time at all for Burke to catch the ball and literally take maybe a 1/2-step to block Torii's path to the plate. That's why, even though I didn't like the result, and thought it was questionable, I could understand how it happened and why he did it.

This collision was the result of Teixeira being incredibly bush-league. Because you have the video here, there's no point in explaining it, but all you need to know is that in order for Teixeira to hit him he had to completely miss home plate (... he had the ENTIRE plate open to him, yet it was like the plate had no bearing on the play... the only thing that mattered to him was going after the defenseless catcher).

I say this and (unlike some of the others who've posted in here) actually like the Yankees. Furthermore, I know Scioscia loves to be the "I'm a badass, I was a great catcher, and now I'm a manager and bring an old-school feel to the game" guy, but I'm disappointed with his comments, because: 1. I think he's wrong, and 2. It's his guy that got trucked and was left with the concussion. I know he didn't mean it like this, but his comments almost come across as if he's against his catcher.

The hit was bush-league and (actually I don't think it matters whether it was dirty or not) Teixeira should definitely be drilled the following game.

Taliesinrk
04-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Seemed like a douchebag move. It actually pissed me off. I'm usually all game when aggressiveness gets into a non-violent game, but this was way unnecessary. I don't care what happened to him prior to that, don't take it out on another player. *******.

I think this sums up my reaction to seeing it too.

rdwj
04-25-2010, 02:52 PM
That's a bang-bang play. Simple, hard-nosed baseball - nothing dirty at all. This is nothing like the Hunter play.

UChicagoHP
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Bang-bang in the sense that Texeira was hitting the catcher with full force if he was anywhere near the plate. I think it's fairly obvious he was pissed because he was drilled earlier, and wanted a little pay-back. The look on his face as he hits the catcher pretty much says it all...lol....

He had a clear view of the catcher/play, and decided he was going to truck the catcher about ten feet away from home-plate, and while he has every right to plow a catcher, I think he went over-board here, and a one game suspension seems to be fair punishment, because these kind of "hits" simply have no place in this game, bottom line.

On the other hand, you could argue the catcher is wearing plenty of protection, but they are still, for the most part, defenseless on these type of plays, and when you throw in the fact that a 200lb+ man is running at full speed AND is gearing up to truck the catcher? Not a fair fight, but there isn't much that can be done other than to suspend the guys that go over-board. Just that thought, "if I try to KILL this catcher, I may be docked a few game's pay" may keep the game a bit safer, but there will always be meat-heads with violence on their minds. Either that or force the runner to slide into home plate, which would be fine with me, but since I don't see that happening, you've got to throw a bone to the catcher.

VMSNS
04-26-2010, 08:46 PM
To me, what makes Teixera's intentions incredibly obvious is the fact that the ENTIRE plate was open. Teixera would have scored easily, and he would know that. Not to mention that he knocks him full force, gets up, then walks over and stomps on the plate.

Bush league move. Teixera is a total douchebag. The Yankees are so classy.

#1swisher
04-27-2010, 01:20 PM
That's a bang-bang play. Simple, hard-nosed baseball - nothing dirty at all. This is nothing like the Hunter play.

I agree with you and if people read the article, LAA manger, Scioscia, a MLB catcher for 13 years, said it wasn't a dirty play.
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100423&content_id=9530650&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana