PDA

View Full Version : Donny Lucy

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes, it's early. Yes, he's probably going to be no better than a career backup. Nevertheless, he intrigues me.

Does anyone have an updated scouting report on Donny Lucy? Is there any chance he could develop into a serviceable MLB catcher who is more than just a career backup?

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2010, 12:38 AM
I sure like his defense in the little bit I've seen. But then, I'm from the outdated school that likes defense first up the middle.

Craig Grebeck
04-24-2010, 12:41 AM
I sure like his defense in the little bit I've seen. But then, I'm from the outdated school that likes defense first up the middle.
Yeah, that's not really outdated. Especially for a backup.

Hopefully he can stay around and backup Tyler next season.

Dub25
04-24-2010, 12:45 AM
I say play him until AJ decides he wants to play agian.

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2010, 12:47 AM

That would be a nice scenario. It's too bad we can't merge the two to combine Flowers' bat with Lucy's defense.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2010, 12:59 AM

If it were as valued as it once was, you'd have Lucy as a starter over Flowers (though I don't know much about Flowers' defense, I know Daver hates it, but I don't know any catcher who Daver likes), you'd have more shortstops like Ozzie Smith (or even Ozzie Guillen), rather than guys like Hanely Rameriz, you'd have more CFers like Tommy Agee and (dare I say it?) Brian Anderson than guys like Bernie Williams or Carlos Beltran. Defense is still a valued asset of course, but for awhile, you could live with a short stop, second baseman or CFer who was hitting .220 if he provided AMAZING defense. It seemed like during the steroid era defense was secondary to being able to hit, there is a new emphasis on defense now, but you still have to be able to hit. The days of light hitting but slick fielding guys playing every day are long gone, and with the emphasis on power and the fear of making outs (which means less stolen bases) you are going to see guys get a bit bulkier which in turn is going to hurt their range. Hanely is actually a good example of this.

Noneck
04-24-2010, 01:25 AM
I remember Daver saying back when, that he was good defensively. Now in addition to that, he has twice the amount of RBI's as AJ.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-24-2010, 01:57 AM
The only thing that would worry me about starting him is his knee, I believe he dislocated or messed it up a few years back. That still has to bother him in that crouched position.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2010, 02:02 AM
The only thing that would worry me about starting him is his knee, I believe he dislocated or messed it up a few years back. That still has to bother him in that crouched position.Find me a catcher who hasn't had knee problems. Joe Mauer has had knee problems. Fisk had knee problems.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Find me a catcher who hasn't had knee problems. Joe Mauer has had knee problems. Fisk had knee problems.

Yeah, but you can't argue Pierzynski's durability. Just saying Pierzynki and Lucy is better than Lucy and say Castro, if he ever decides to come back.

BoysMom3
04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Glad you all have been appreciating my hard work.

Brian26
04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes, it's early. Yes, he's probably going to be no better than a career backup. Nevertheless, he intrigues me.

Defensively, he's as solid as we've seen in a long time. Byrnes had a five-step lead on that stolen base off Floyd last night, and Lucy's gun still almost got him at second. Behind the plate, he seemed smooth and blocked everything.

Love his spark too. He seems to be making the most of his opportunity, including his first stolen base last night.

TomBradley72
04-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Based on what I've seen the past few weeks...I like him as the back up over Castro.

AJ seems to be pouting over his contract...he seems distracted on the field, undisciplined at the plate.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Are we for sure this is going to happen? From what I've heard they aren't sure if the will *EVER* be ready to be a starting MLB catcher.

DirtySox
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Are we for sure this is going to happen? From what I've heard they aren't sure if the will *EVER* be ready to be a starting MLB catcher.

Yes. He will be either catching or traded. The current consensus amongst scouts is that he will be adequate at catcher. He won't be a very good defender, but he will likely remain behind the plate.

A recent Sickels blurb:

**White Sox (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/teams/CWS) catching prospect Tyler Flowers (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/33604/Tyler_Flowers) is thriving offensively at Triple-A Charlotte, hitting .316/.447/.553 through 11 games, with 11 RBI, six walks, and 10 strikeouts in 38 at-bats. This is improved production compared to his '09 trial at the same level, where he hit .286/.364/.438 in 31 games. His defense has been so-so; he's throw out three of 12 runners for a 25% percentage, also giving up two passed balls and making one error so far. His defense is never going to be great, but it should be enough to keep him in the lineup if he hits as expected.

Tragg
04-24-2010, 10:29 AM

I don't think his defensive skills ever were an issue.
Why did we sign Castro, who hasn't hit a lick in 10 years in the majors, when we have an equal player, at worst, at league minimum?

veeter
04-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Lucy may be a career back-up, but he's clearly a major leaguer. That being said, dump Castro and keep Donny up. He's a Sox product, a very good catcher, and handles the bat well. Youth is so good for a team. Reportedly the pitching staff likes him too. It's a no-brainer: Lucy should stay, IMO.

TomBradley72
04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't think his defensive skills ever were an issue.
Why did we sign Castro, who hasn't hit a lick in 10 years in the majors, when we have an equal player, at worst, at league minimum?

Lucy hit .216 at AA/AAA last year...he's looking good in this opportunity, but signing Castro made sense.

Daver
04-24-2010, 06:41 PM
If it were as valued as it once was, you'd have Lucy as a starter over Flowers (though I don't know much about Flowers' defense, I know Daver hates it, but I don't know any catcher who Daver likes), you'd have more shortstops like Ozzie Smith (or even Ozzie Guillen), rather than guys like Hanely Rameriz, you'd have more CFers like Tommy Agee and (dare I say it?) Brian Anderson than guys like Bernie Williams or Carlos Beltran. Defense is still a valued asset of course, but for awhile, you could live with a short stop, second baseman or CFer who was hitting .220 if he provided AMAZING defense. It seemed like during the steroid era defense was secondary to being able to hit, there is a new emphasis on defense now, but you still have to be able to hit. The days of light hitting but slick fielding guys playing every day are long gone, and with the emphasis on power and the fear of making outs (which means less stolen bases) you are going to see guys get a bit bulkier which in turn is going to hurt their range. Hanely is actually a good example of this.

I have always liked Donny's ability to wear the tools, but I don't think he will ever be able to match AJ's offensive contribution, and the White Sox have used an offense first approach to filling out the roster for years.

NLaloosh
04-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I have always liked Donny's ability to wear the tools, but I don't think he will ever be able to match AJ's offensive contribution, and the White Sox have used an offense first approach to filling out the roster for years.

How's that working ? They have the worst team batting average in all of baseball .

Tragg
04-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Lucy hit .216 at AA/AAA last year...he's looking good in this opportunity, but signing Castro made sense.
That's really, really low, I know. But I'd still probably do it, versus paying above the minimum for a .300 career obp.

TomBradley72
04-24-2010, 07:09 PM
That's really, really low, I know. But I'd still probably do it, versus paying above the minimum for a .300 career obp.

I'd choose Lucy over Castro as well for this year's team...I was just pointing out the logic of signing Castro.

Daver
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
How's that working ? They have the worst team batting average in all of baseball .

They aren't even twenty games into the season yet, a little soon to be declaring them terrible.