PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Cub Spin?


Viva Magglio
06-17-2002, 07:07 AM
In both major newspapers, it is noted that while we won yesterday, the Cubs won the weekend series 2-1. Do you think the media is trying to put a pro-Cubs spin on yesterday's victory by us? They have have won the series this weekend, but they are still losing the war: Sox 14, Cubs 13.

MattSharp
06-17-2002, 07:26 AM
Maybe. I mean I don't know, if Wood hadn't walked so many guys they would have won. The Sox offense didn't play all that well. They only had like 6 hits. I mean I think you could easily single-handedly blame Wood for the lost yesterday. So maybe the media is right in doing what you say they are doing....

Tragg
06-17-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Maybe. I mean I don't know, if Wood hadn't walked so many guys they would have won. The Sox offense didn't play all that well. They only had like 6 hits. I mean I think you could easily single-handedly blame Wood for the lost yesterday. So maybe the media is right in doing what you say they are doing....


Yes, but we hit those home runs off of Moses himself. Anyway, you could say the same about Ritchie.

And our lineup was really goofy yesterday. We have a pretty unproductive bench (except for Graff when he's on the bench),which has hurt us this year.

Iwritecode
06-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
They have have won the series this weekend, but they are still losing the war: Sox 14, Cubs 13.

Actually, the overall record is tied at 14 right now. It was Sox 13 Cubs 12 going into the weekend.

Kid Kip
06-17-2002, 10:21 AM
It's 14-13 Sox on the series thus far.

hold2dibber
06-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
In both major newspapers, it is noted that while we won yesterday, the Cubs won the weekend series 2-1. Do you think the media is trying to put a pro-Cubs spin on yesterday's victory by us? They have have won the series this weekend, but they are still losing the war: Sox 14, Cubs 13.

Not at all -- if the Sox had won the first two but lost the third, if the papers didn't make clear that hey, the Sox still won the series, we'd be jumping up and down saying "Look at the media bias - we won the series but the papers today only focused on the one Cubs win!" The fact is, despite yesterday's win, the Cubs kicked the Sox ass this weekend; they won the series and that's all there is to it. I hope and pray we can exact some revenge at Comiskey.

cheeses_h_rice
06-17-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


Not at all -- if the Sox had won the first two but lost the third, if the papers didn't make clear that hey, the Sox still won the series, we'd be jumping up and down saying "Look at the media bias - we won the series but the papers today only focused on the one Cubs win!" The fact is, despite yesterday's win, the Cubs kicked the Sox ass this weekend; they won the series and that's all there is to it. I hope and pray we can exact some revenge at Comiskey.

Exactly. Were it not for Mourning Wood's wildness, we'd be suffering from broom scratches on our asses today.

steff
06-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Actually, the overall record is tied at 14 right now. It was Sox 13 Cubs 12 going into the weekend.

They were tied 13 going into Sunday's game. It is 14-13 Sox. Hopefully at the end of the month it'll be 17-13 :D:

Dadawg_77
06-17-2002, 11:07 AM
This series made no sence. The NL worse lineup puts up 20 runs in three games. A catcher who couldn't hit Rosanne Barr's ass hit three homers. The best pitcher in each game, didn't have their stuff. The Sox score 10 runs on 6 hits and 7 walks, ten out of 13 baserunners scored. Carlo Lee who has been struggling this year, hits two homers for 7 RBIs in one game.

Honestyly, every game was different then what I thought the outcome would be. I guess thats why they play the games.

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
They have have won the series this weekend, but they are still losing the war: Sox 14, Cubs 13.

We must remember that this tally only counts the recent Interleague games the two teams have faced off against each other, and don't account for every game played between the two teams. We are far ahead of the Cubs in the real war.

Heather the Redbird

GASHWOUND
06-18-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
And our lineup was really goofy yesterday. We have a pretty unproductive bench (except for Graff when he's on the bench),which has hurt us this year.

Actually, with Maggs and Lofton being I thought JM did a good job with the line-up with Durham, Graff, and Lee at the top. yeah, the bench was weak..but what we had i thought JM did a good job putting the line-up together.

GASHWOUND
06-18-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
This series made no sence. The NL worse lineup puts up 20 runs in three games. A catcher who couldn't hit Rosanne Barr's ass hit three homers. The best pitcher in each game, didn't have their stuff. The Sox score 10 runs on 6 hits and 7 walks, ten out of 13 baserunners scored. Carlo Lee who has been struggling this year, hits two homers for 7 RBIs in one game.

Honestyly, every game was different then what I thought the outcome would be. I guess thats why they play the games.

Yeah, this series was F'd up. They scored 6 runs or more in each game, they hadn't done that all year. Its not like we had bums going in those first 2 games. Garland and Buehrle have been mowing down the opposition against WAAAY better teams. Then the worst hitting team in baseball puts the hurt on us in all 3 games. maybe one game I could understand, but all 3?? And watch, they'll end up losing 2 of 3 to the Rangers probably scoring 6 runs total the entire series.

MarqSox
06-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
In both major newspapers, it is noted that while we won yesterday, the Cubs won the weekend series 2-1. Do you think the media is trying to put a pro-Cubs spin on yesterday's victory by us? They have have won the series this weekend, but they are still losing the war: Sox 14, Cubs 13.

Thing is ... we DID lose the weekend series 2-1. So in two weeks, if the Sox drop the last game after winning the first two against the Cubs at Comiskey, should the article focus soley on the final game and ignore the fact that the Sox won the series? If that happened you'd accuse the media of bias. The Sox won Game 3 here, but they lost the series, and that is the bigger issue.

Sometimes, I feel like we Sox Fans search out bias, and when it isn't there, we find it where it wasn't even intended. Kinda like a literary critic who finds examples of "symbolism" that the author never even thought of.