PDA

View Full Version : Good Writing By Cowley!

PhillipsBubba
04-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I think JC nails it.

According to this article, Kenny is already testing the market for AJ, who is on my posted trade list.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2191040,CST-SPT-cowley23.article

PalehosePlanet
04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Typical over-the-top crap I've come to expect from Joe Cowley. Liriano is an ace because of three good starts? Please, he's closer to **** than being an ace.

On the subject of AJ though, I'm all for trading him ASAP. He's already whining about his contract; he's been terrible hitting wise and he's calling terrible pitches. He's 33 and part of the problem, not the solution.

Lat night he cost us three runs because he wouldn't throw the ball to first. Kotsay set up inside the base line with a good target for the throw. Of course Hawk, like most Sox fans, gives him a free pass and says he did the right thing. Pathetic.

Two more weeks of this crap and it's time for the Tyler Flowers era to begin.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Typical over-the-top crap I've come to expect from Joe Cowley. Liriano is an ace because of three good starts? Please, he's closer to **** than being an ace.

On the subject of AJ though, I'm all for trading him ASAP. He's already whining about his contract; he's been terrible hitting wise and he's calling terrible pitches. He's 33 and part of the problem, not the solution.

Lat night he cost us three runs because he wouldn't throw the ball to first. Kotsay set up inside the base line with a good target for the throw. Of course Hawk, like most Sox fans, gives him a free pass and says he did the right thing. Pathetic.

I heard Terry Boers say yesterday (yes, I did consider the source) that his White Sox contacts have told him recently that they aren't high on Tyler Flowers as a MLB catcher and they are not sure if he will *ever* be ready. I know Terry is a goof, but from years of being on the business, he has a lot of inside contacts with all the Chicago sports teams.

Edit: He also said that the pitchers like throwing to Lucy.

DirtySox
04-23-2010, 10:48 AM

I'd rather him show he can still hit a bit before he is moved, but agreed. It isn't very surprising. There was even mentioning of a potential desire to move AJ before he got no trade rights by Rick Hahn during one of last year's blog nights at US Cellular. I don't think anything is imminent, but if Tyler continues to rake in AAA it's time for him to become unblocked.

KMcMahon817
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Can't really argue with that. :cool:

Cat Thief
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Keep our Top 4 starters, Thorton and Beckham.

Who cares about the rest.

Law11
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Aj's gonna be a 10 and 5 guy soon so if they are gonna move him it'll be soon.
He was on the radio yesterday talking about how hed be the logical one to go since he has no extension.

doublem23
04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Keep our Top 4 starters, Thorton and Beckham.

Who cares about the rest.

:thumbsup:

I'd also keep Santos, who has been lights out. Kid's got a great future.

Rios, too, partially from the fact he's played pretty well lately and partially out of necessity, no one is going to give us fair value with that contract.

Finally, I'd keep Quentin, at this point, we'd be selling at his lowest point. May as well just keep him around and see if he can pull his head out of his ass. Does he have any options? Can we send him down to AAA and let him work this **** out?

Jim Shorts
04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Lat night he cost us three runs because he wouldn't throw the ball to first.

Did you even watch the play? AJ didn't cost the team runs, Peavy did. First by walking the entire Tampa metro area, then by a horsecrap relay throw. When AJ caught the ball all he could see was the runners back side. Regardless of where Kotsay set up.

Your points of him hitting poorly and being 33 aren't lost however, despite your misguided attempt to blame the game on AJ

jabrch
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Joe Cowley sucks. I wouldn't read his tripe if he were the last man on earth allowed to cover baseball. I'd rather starve for information than consume his malinformation.

Just my own personal perspective on Joe.

PalehosePlanet
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Did you even watch the play? AJ didn't cost the team runs, Peavy did. First by walking the entire Tampa metro area, then by a horsecrap relay throw. When AJ caught the ball all he could see was the runners back side. Regardless of where Kotsay set up.

Your points of him hitting poorly and being 33 aren't lost however, despite your misguided attempt to blame the game on AJ

I guess we'll agree to disagree. He had plenty of time to simply shift his feet and make the throw. Also, I said he cost us three runs, not the game.

BTW: Do you also think I'm off-base in calling out his pitch calling?

Also, I noticed The Twins gave Sizemore and Choo nothing but a steady diet of breaking pitches and change-ups. Guess what? They each went 1-12 in the series. In the meantime when we play them, AJ calls for fastballs three, four, five times consecutively to these guys and they kill us. I wander where the **** his head is sometimes.

Jim Shorts
04-23-2010, 11:29 AM
I guess we'll agree to disagree. He had plenty of time to simply shift his feet and make the throw. Also, I said he cost us three runs, not the game.

We will have to do so. I don't think there was time for the shift to make the throw accurate.

Has AJ's pitch calling sucked when he was calling pitches for John Danks this year?

It's all relative...

Lip Man 1
04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
To me the biggest thing in Joe's story was the financial implications and where the franchise goes when the place starts becomming only a quarter filled come July.

And then the big question becomes are we back to the bad old days of the late 90's with no fans, little talent and trash teams for the next few years?

Lip

veeter
04-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Typical, 'praise the hot team, kick the cold team when they're down', article. But there's definitely is a pall over this whole team. How can guys be so down, so early? Injecting youth, more times than not, seems to help these situations. But something that drastic right now I think, would be wrong. Especially if it meant replacing AJ, a respected veteran. I think they just keep showing up at the park and hope Beckham and Quetin start hitting.

Jim Shorts
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
To me the biggest thing in Joe's story was the financial implications and where the franchise goes when the place starts becomming only a quarter filled come July.

And then the big question becomes are we back to the bad old days of the late 90's with no fans, little talent and trash teams for the next few years?

Lip

This is my fear. They blew the wad this year, Jerry gets dinged in the wallet and he decides to fade into retirement going through the late 90's motions.

It was a pretty fun ride though. The best 10 year span of my fandom

Chez
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
This thread is what I both love and hate about this site. We take 2 out of 3 this weekend against Seattle and most of you will be back on the bus! :D:

sox1970
04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
This thread is what I both love and hate about this site. We take 2 out of 3 this weekend against Seattle and most of you will be back on the bus! :D:

Want to bet?

Bottom line--Sox are a .500 team at best, and the Twins are going to win 90+ games this year.

Frankfan4life
04-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Your points of him hitting poorly and being 33 aren't lost however, despite your misguided attempt to blame the game on AJ+1

Despite his poor start, AJ is still an asset to this team. I certainly do not want to see him go.

JB98
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM

No. It will take a lot more than one series win to restore my confidence in this organization.

tsoxman
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM

I am constantly amazed by how naive some of our fans are. Over the top crap? I don't think so. This thing should have been blown up at the trade deadline last year. Instead, our GM goes out and foolishly overpays for an underperforming starting pitcher who makes a boat load of money- enough to cripple this team for a few seasons. Even if Peavy wins 11-13 games, what are we, an 80 win, third place team?

Trade AJ now? That's a laugh..the guy has zero trade value as his skills have diminshed so much. Again, maybe you could have gotten something from him last year, but not now.

There are many who would not support a youth movement...Well given the organization's lack of committment to building a decent farms system and you know, actually keeping some of the better talent it has recently developed, they are right. A youth movement utilizing our system's players would look pretty awful this year.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Peavy has stated several times that he calls his own pitches. And, it doesn't matter who is catching.

And, AJ has never been renowned as a good game caller, has he?

Jim Shorts
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Trade AJ now? That's a laugh..the guy has zero trade value as his skills have diminshed so much.

AJ hit .300 last year while catching 120 games. He's 33, sure his slipping a bit. But, the phrase "Diminished so much" is actually opposite to the point of your post.

Nelfox02
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Lip

I ve metioned it a few times in other threads on this site---and to all my friends who root for this team....I felt 2010 was a tipping point fo this team. If they played well enough to be in contention all year, and dare I say win this division----I felt we could expect to maintain or even increase current payroll My dream was that we would be solid enough to stay in the race with great pitching, improved D, and just enough hitting so that JR would give Kenny GM the approval to trade for a bat to put us over the Twins on 7-31 On the other hand, I felt that if this team played poorly and revenue sagged as a result---it is just as reasonable to expect JR to dump whatever salaries he can AND reduce this payroll going into 2011

I ve been ripped hard for making such speculations by a few other posters, and thats fine but does anyone here honestly expect that if this season continues like this (and come on guys, will they play better? I think so good enough to contend? serious doubts) and attendence does what we all know it will do.......that JR takes the steps to bring in big name talent this offseason?

Does anyone think there is an impact player for the sox that will step in next year out of our farm system? I am no minor league expert, but I have not heard of one guy that has me saying----"all right, that will be a solid player coming in to shore up that position" Flowers? Jordan Danks? Dan Hudson? Dayan? Might be some quality there, hopefully, but at this point none of those names have me shaking in anticipation

jabrch
04-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Peavy has stated several times that he calls his own pitches. And, it doesn't matter who is catching.

And, AJ has never been renowned as a good game caller, has he?

Daver: AJ Doesn't call games.

jabrch
04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Well given the organization's lack of committment to building a decent farms system and you know, actually keeping some of the better talent it has recently developed

And who are these great young players that this organization let go? The best I can think of is the corner OF who hits bottom of the order.

JC456
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM

AJ needed to throw that ball to first base. the runner was out of the lines and hitting him would have been interference. I also see AJ as the problem. I'm not sure I can prove it, but I'd go out on a limb and say he has an agenda. He sets up wrong, and I'm not sure why none of the pitchers say anything about it. He sets up too far inside or outside to get the calls. He doesn't give a good target for curve balls either. then his at bats are just mistifying to me. He swings at pitches so far out of the zone I'd say he swang at it on purpose. I don't know, but the honeymoon for him is over for me!:bandance:

KenBerryGrab
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
And who are these great young players that this organization let go? The best I can think of is the corner OF who hits bottom of the order.

Maybe Chris Carter. We'll see. Kenny usually does make the right call here.

Jim Shorts
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
AJ needed to throw that ball to first base. the runner was out of the lines and hitting him would have been interference. I also see AJ as the problem. I'm not sure I can prove it, but I'd go out on a limb and say he has an agenda. He sets up wrong, and I'm not sure why none of the pitchers say anything about it. He sets up too far inside or outside to get the calls. He doesn't give a good target for curve balls either. then his at bats are just mistifying to me. He swings at pitches so far out of the zone I'd say he swang at it on purpose. I don't know, but the honeymoon for him is over for me!:bandance:

Damn near slander. If you can't prove it, you shouldn't post it.

To be clear, your point is that AJ is tanking on purpose? Throwing games? In a contract year?

A huge percentage of people posting are running purely on venom and will say anything.

Why do I keep coming back here?

PhillipsBubba
04-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Damn near slander. If you can't prove it, you shouldn't post it.

Golly gee...AJ might take him to kangaroo court!