PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Braden goes BERSERK on A-Rod

doublem23
04-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Scene: Sixth inning. A-Rod on 1st. Robinson Cano fouls a pitch off, A-Rod hustling, makes it to third. En route back to 1st, he walks over the pitcher's mound. Braden induces a double play to end the inning. Goes ****ing nuts on Rodriguez.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dallas-Braden-blasts-A-Rod-for-breaking-unwritte?urn=mlb,236110

october23sp
04-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Braden wants his 15 minutes.

Twins_Morneau
04-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Good for Aroid.

Gotta love how they still count this Dbags homerun numbers as he chases the lead... What a farce.

DumpJerry
04-23-2010, 08:27 AM
If A-Roid were a NFL player instead of a MLB player, he'd be the guy who would accidentally on purpose get fingers stuck in eyes at bottom of every pile at the end of each play.

g0g0
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Never, EVER, touch another man's mound.

I'm glad A-rod got an ear full. Why shouldn't he? Just because the pitcher is young? You can't fault him for his age. I'm also surprised by his supposedly innocence as there are a ton of baseball superstitions and etiquette - he should know better.

pythons007
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Isn't this something AJ does after each ground out at home games?

goon
04-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Isn't this something AJ does after each ground out at home games?

I've seen him cross inbetween the mound and the plate, not on the actual mound.

happydude
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Rodriguez may have violated some "unwritten rule" of baseball and I realize that, for many, he's not the most sympathetic figure in sports but I watched the video and Braden's reaction seems a little over the top to me. With all that shouting and glove slamming you'd think Braden caught Arod with his tongue stuck deeply down Braden's girlfriends' throat.

MLB players seem to be among the most anal, overly sensitive of all professional athletes; constantly complaining about perceived slights and "disrespect". They seem almost completely joyless; TCQ, for example, looks, for the most part, as if he hasn't had a bowel movement in months.

If Braden felt that "disrespected" then shut up and do something about it. And I don't mean aim a baseball at Arod or a teammate; beaning guys is candy ass and cowardly, and yeah I know its "part of the game".

The worst part is that all their screaming and gesturing across the diamond is just bull**** posturing. I wouldn't mind if they adopted hockeys' rule and allowed the players to fight with no interference; my guess is half this stuff would stop. More than half.

hi im skot
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't mind if they adopted hockeys' rule and allowed the players to fight with no interference; my guess is half this stuff would stop. More than half.

Uh, no.

soltrain21
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't mind if they adopted hockeys' rule and allowed the players to fight with no interference; my guess is half this stuff would stop. More than half.

And that's when I'd stop watching baseball. Dumbest idea ever.

doublem23
04-23-2010, 11:54 AM

No, that's the worst thing about hockey, since teams have to carry ****ty players who can't play but can throw a punch when needed. Can you imagine if the Sox had to waste a roster spot on a guy who had no baseball skills but liked to get rowdy? We're bad enough as it is with 25 players.

And please, is there some epidemic of "unwritten rule" breaking in baseball that I am unaware of? This is the first time I'd ever heard about this "don't walk across the mound" stuff, let alone anyone getting all wound up about it. What other "stuff" needs to be weeded out of baseball?

VMSNS
04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Just saw the ESPN story about this. They played a post-game interview with ARod where he said he was surprised by Braden's reaction because Braden is just "a guy with only a handful of wins under his belt". ARod also said he "thought it was funny".

Braden probably overreacted a little bit, but those comments by ARod are just low-class. What a douchebag.

soltrain21
04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Just saw the ESPN story about this. They played a post-game interview with ARod where he said he was surprised by Braden's reaction because Braden is just "a guy with only a handful of wins under his belt". ARod also said he "thought it was funny".

Braden probably overreacted a little bit, but those comments by ARod are just low-class. What a douchebag.

Meh. The guy flipped out on Arod so Arod verbally fought back in the media. No big deal.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't ever side with A-Rod on anything, but I don't blame him for laughing off Braden and calling him a pitcher with a hand full of wins. I didn't know about this "unwritten" rule either.

JohnTucker0814
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Isn't there some kind of rule where once you step on the "rubber" you are essentially saying you are the pitcher of record? How does this work when the opposing team steps on the rubber during their at bat?

october23sp
04-23-2010, 12:43 PM

No, A-Rods reaction was perfect, who is the douche of a pitcher that yells after a double play? If he didn't like it right away he should have said something.

Nellie_Fox
04-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't ever side with A-Rod on anything, but I don't blame him for laughing off Braden and calling him a pitcher with a hand full of wins. I didn't know about this "unwritten" rule either.
I didn't either, but that doesn't mean anything since neither you nor I played major league baseball. On XM Homeplate this morning, they talked to some former pitchers, and they all sided with Braden, saying the mound is the pitcher's and that A-Rod knows it. It was just A-Rod being a jerk again.

DirtySox
04-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I didn't either, but that doesn't mean anything since neither you nor I played major league baseball. On XM Homeplate this morning, they talked to some former pitchers, and they all sided with Braden, saying the mound is the pitcher's and that A-Rod knows it. It was just A-Rod being a jerk again.

Yep. McCarver said the same thing.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-April-040310

WhiteSox5187
04-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I was about to say that A-Rod is a dirty player, but I thought about it and thought "you know a lot of people would say the same thing about AJ," but I think of AJ more as heady. There is nothing particularly "heady" about this move and A-Rod's stunts have been more of the bush league variety I think. I can't recall A-Rod ever doing anything like running to first after a possible dropped third strike, inducing fielder's interference, or anything like that. His stunts are kind of like that time in Toronto he said "I got it!" while running the bases causing Scutaro to drop the ball (which was dumb on Scutaro's part) and this. I think opponents probably begrudgingly respect AJ where as they respect A-Rod for his hitting prowess they probably don't respect him much as a player. I don't think he can ever be a leader of a clubhouse.

soltrain21
04-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I was about to say that A-Rod is a dirty player, but I thought about it and thought "you know a lot of people would say the same thing about AJ," but I think of AJ more as heady. There is nothing particularly "heady" about this move and A-Rod's stunts have been more of the bush league variety I think. I can't recall A-Rod ever doing anything like running to first after a possible dropped third strike, inducing fielder's interference, or anything like that. His stunts are kind of like that time in Toronto he said "I got it!" while running the bases causing Scutaro to drop the ball (which was dumb on Scutaro's part) and this. I think opponents probably begrudgingly respect AJ where as they respect A-Rod for his hitting prowess they probably don't respect him much as a player. I don't think he can ever be a leader of a clubhouse.

Someone on the Sox did that in 2005. I can't remember who, though. I think it was against the Cubs.

Maybe it was Uribe.

happydude
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
No, that's the worst thing about hockey, since teams have to carry ****ty players who can't play but can throw a punch when needed. Can you imagine if the Sox had to waste a roster spot on a guy who had no baseball skills but liked to get rowdy? We're bad enough as it is with 25 players.

And please, is there some epidemic of "unwritten rule" breaking in baseball that I am unaware of? This is the first time I'd ever heard about this "don't walk across the mound" stuff, let alone anyone getting all wound up about it. What other "stuff" needs to be weeded out of baseball?

Primarily, expressed outrage and/or beanballs for the following offenses: pausing too long before running to first after a long homer, flipping the bat after a homer, jogging too slowly after a homer, running excitedly after a homer, celebrating too enthusiastically after anything other than a walk off, aggressively breaking up the double play, etc. There's a million things, it seems, that are worthy of bitching, followed by beanballs/purpose pitches, followed by childish shouting, followed by benches clearing and guys milling around.

My comment about the hockey rule was meant to be taken tongue in cheek, by the way, in order to make a larger point: These guys seem too easily offended. If in fact, everything is so egregious that it results in glove throwing, water cooler kicking outrage, then do something about it. Or shut the **** up.

mccoydp
04-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Agreed. Rodriguez came off like an arrogant, pretentious jerk; I'm sure that he didn't have to try too hard. What does it matter how many wins Braden has as a pitcher?

white sox bill
04-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I sure didn't see Braden's name on that mound.

cws05champ
04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Someone on the Sox did that in 2005. I can't remember who, though. I think it was against the Cubs.

Maybe it was Uribe.

It was Uribe deeking a guy at 2B, not yelling anything. He was just carrying out a fake throw to 2B so the runner wasn't aware the ball was hit in the air.

WhiteSox5187
04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
It was Uribe deeking a guy at 2B, not yelling anything. He was just carrying out a fake throw to 2B so the runner wasn't aware the ball was hit in the air.

That's what it was as I recall, Baker got pissed too.